Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

loving owned good riddance

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

mysterious frankie posted:

I watched maybe three episodes of that before falling asleep and have never gone back to it.

Same for The Boys, but it sounds like that one I should take another run at.

nth-ing that the boys is great and watchmen was garbage. i cut my losses after the 3rd or 4th episode and i'm glad to know that was a sound decision

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

when i looked at that tweet before there was a reply that said lube mans story was resolved in some blurb on the website and it sounded really dumb but i cant find it now and have no idea whether it was supposed to be a joke

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem

Some Guy TT posted:

when i looked at that tweet before there was a reply that said lube mans story was resolved in some blurb on the website and it sounded really dumb but i cant find it now and have no idea whether it was supposed to be a joke

Every Watchmen episode came out with a couple of files on Peteypedia, an offshoot site based on one of the agents in the show who was obsessed with superheroes. Lubeman was revealed to be that agent in one of the docs

The show was okay until the last couple eps and I have no idea how it came 2nd on the TVIV annual list thing

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

THS posted:

thank god that show loving sucked

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Kill All Cops posted:

Every Watchmen episode came out with a couple of files on Peteypedia, an offshoot site based on one of the agents in the show who was obsessed with superheroes. Lubeman was revealed to be that agent in one of the docs

The show was okay until the last couple eps and I have no idea how it came 2nd on the TVIV annual list thing

Wow, cool mysterious element for me to engage with.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

Freaking Crumbum posted:

nth-ing that the boys is great and watchmen was garbage. i cut my losses after the 3rd or 4th episode and i'm glad to know that was a sound decision

yeah I really gotta check out the boys soon

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
there’s a new Eminem album out today

lol

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

docbeard posted:

Yes but it was a British comedy series from the 80s.

(The last episode of Blackadder Goes Forth is a surprisingly grim and poignant look at the realities of "oh poo poo, these people who've been having wacky dumb hijinks in the middle of a brutal war are actually for real going to die for no goddamn reason".)

I was actually considering adding "besides Blackadder Goes Forth" to my post.

Aside from it obviously being too clean and filmed in a studio, I thought it did a great job of displaying the hopelessness the soldiers faced.

And as you said, the ending of the last episode is a masterpiece.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

KozmoNaut posted:

I was actually considering adding "besides Blackadder Goes Forth" to my post.

Aside from it obviously being too clean and filmed in a studio, I thought it did a great job of displaying the hopelessness the soldiers faced.

And as you said, the ending of the last episode is a masterpiece.

And that ending was something that basically came together at the very last moment, the blackadder documentary is really good.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Some Guy TT posted:

wouldnt surprise me there was also little drummer girl during that same time period interesting how all of these are historical dramas from before any of us were born since no one can argue with a straight face that anything mossad is doing right now isnt a war crime

Mossad isn't the good guys in little drummer girl

E: like they're horrific psychos

sebmojo has issued a correction as of 12:19 on Jan 17, 2020

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

im so used to psychos being portrayed as unambiguously heroic in less subtle visual media that i am extremely skeptical when both sidesism is employed to suggest that team psycho is morally conflicted because they express some minute self awareness of how monstrous they are

weirdly enough i do not have this problem with munich because the movie strongly implies that there may not actually be any evidence connecting the dudes the spy team is assassinating to the munich massacre and the ending subtitle explicitly confirms this little drummer girl may portray the mossad team as being dicks and the terrorists as having vaguely sympathetic motives but at the end of the day theyre still terrorists and no one seems to be losing that much sleep over what they did

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

reminder that mossads main complaint about munich is that it depicted the agents on the team as being morally conflicted and openly questioning mission objectives the fact that the characters are assassins who maim and kill innocent people through sheer incompetence and inexperience did not particularly bother the israeli security apparatus nor did anyone think to thank spielsberg for intentionally omitting the one thing the team did that was such an undeniable fuckup it managed to attract international condemnation

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

https://twitter.com/dwmoook/status/1218065788143316992?s=20

this is what the Tories have done to the BBC

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Some Guy TT posted:

im so used to psychos being portrayed as unambiguously heroic in less subtle visual media that i am extremely skeptical when both sidesism is employed to suggest that team psycho is morally conflicted because they express some minute self awareness of how monstrous they are

weirdly enough i do not have this problem with munich because the movie strongly implies that there may not actually be any evidence connecting the dudes the spy team is assassinating to the munich massacre and the ending subtitle explicitly confirms this little drummer girl may portray the mossad team as being dicks and the terrorists as having vaguely sympathetic motives but at the end of the day theyre still terrorists and no one seems to be losing that much sleep over what they did

this is an endemic problem in (especially american) pop culture though

like poo poo ive been watching some of the office (us) and its really dissonant how steve carell's character is legitimately an awful human being in pretty much every way, is constantly sexually and racially abusive to his staff, undermines them at every turn, etc etc etc., and yet the show cant handle that its main character is the villain so it constantly tries to give him pathos and reassures the viewers that the workers like him for some reason even though he's a terrible, terrible, terrible person and an awful boss

its basically a show about people getting stockholm syndrome for a serial abuser and exploitative representative of capital, and it was one of the biggest shows in the world for most of a decade

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

everything except lube man was poo poo, I rarely laugh out loud to tv shows (even comedies) but that got one out of me

Serf
May 5, 2011

at first i saw that it was "discworld-inspired" but now apparently this is a literal discworld adaptation and it looks like dogshit lol

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

There, now I can tell when you're posting.

-- A friend :)

vyelkin posted:

this is an endemic problem in (especially american) pop culture though

like poo poo ive been watching some of the office (us) and its really dissonant how steve carell's character is legitimately an awful human being in pretty much every way, is constantly sexually and racially abusive to his staff, undermines them at every turn, etc etc etc., and yet the show cant handle that its main character is the villain so it constantly tries to give him pathos and reassures the viewers that the workers like him for some reason even though he's a terrible, terrible, terrible person and an awful boss

its basically a show about people getting stockholm syndrome for a serial abuser and exploitative representative of capital, and it was one of the biggest shows in the world for most of a decade

Definitely feel like the British version handled this better, if for no other reason than because it turns out Ricky Gervais is David Brent in real life.

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Has there ever been a good Discworld adaption? I owned a copy of the Soul Music cartoon as a kid, and I remember it being charmingly bad, but I don't recall anything else working out.

The Good Omens adaption ruled so it's a shame that this looks kind of awful.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Serf posted:

at first i saw that it was "discworld-inspired" but now apparently this is a literal discworld adaptation and it looks like dogshit lol

Yeah, I mean I'll watch any old poo poo (and I love the Discworld Watch books) but that, um, does not look promising

Aglet56
Sep 1, 2011

Some Guy TT posted:

munich is really goddamn good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kavxsXhzD48

Serf
May 5, 2011

docbeard posted:

Yeah, I mean I'll watch any old poo poo (and I love the Discworld Watch books) but that, um, does not look promising

discworld is fantastic, and i wish there was a good adaptation of it. the aesthetic choices are fine imo, but they are changing fundamental parts of the story and making it bullshit

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

Big Mad Drongo posted:

Has there ever been a good Discworld adaption? I owned a copy of the Soul Music cartoon as a kid, and I remember it being charmingly bad, but I don't recall anything else working out.

The Good Omens adaption ruled so it's a shame that this looks kind of awful.

All the live action adaptations (Colour of Magic, Hogfather, and Going Postal) were pretty decent, as I recall. I don't particularly care for the animated adaptations, however.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

I watched Midsommar last night and I’m pretty sure everyone who died deserved it.

Hilario Baldness
Feb 10, 2005

:buddy:

Grimey Drawer

Serf posted:

its a loving travesty that lodge 49 is canceled

Shows critical of capitalism get poo poo on by the system, and lets not forge that AMC tried to cancel Breaking Bad several times

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

the grossest part of office lore imo is the idea that toby is the scranton strangler its very transparently an attempt to rationalize michaels vicious treatment of toby by acting like tobys less than stellar social skills are proof that hes a serial killer

like the main thing i can remember from the michael scott leaving period is theres a scene where jim and maybe someone else is trying to talk toby into letting michael roast him one last time and the whole things really disturbing because they clearly understand that toby has excellent reason to hate michael at this point and is not under the slightest pretense to act like hes sad that michaels leaving and im just thinking where the gently caress were you guys when toby was enduring this poo poo on a daily basis to the point that other employees started copying michael

it left permanent damage too in another episode where james spader starts treating toby like an actual valued employee of the company at one point toby spazzes out and leaves the good employee table in a panic because michaels gaslit him into having no self esteem so he just has impostor syndrome now that was an incredibly hosed thing for the show to play for laughs

Serf
May 5, 2011

i remember an episode of the office after michael scott leaves where the office has no boss and everything is being decided by a meeting of representatives from each department, and they talk about how things are working so well and its a lot smoother this way lol

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

https://twitter.com/beanytuesday/status/1218531277646725121?s=20

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Some Guy TT posted:

the grossest part of office lore imo is the idea that toby is the scranton strangler its very transparently an attempt to rationalize michaels vicious treatment of toby by acting like tobys less than stellar social skills are proof that hes a serial killer

like the main thing i can remember from the michael scott leaving period is theres a scene where jim and maybe someone else is trying to talk toby into letting michael roast him one last time and the whole things really disturbing because they clearly understand that toby has excellent reason to hate michael at this point and is not under the slightest pretense to act like hes sad that michaels leaving and im just thinking where the gently caress were you guys when toby was enduring this poo poo on a daily basis to the point that other employees started copying michael

it left permanent damage too in another episode where james spader starts treating toby like an actual valued employee of the company at one point toby spazzes out and leaves the good employee table in a panic because michaels gaslit him into having no self esteem so he just has impostor syndrome now that was an incredibly hosed thing for the show to play for laughs

its especially hosed up bc michael hates toby because toby wants him to follow rules like "dont sexually and racially harass your employees" and "dont put people in danger" and this conflict is played for laughs like toby deserves it because he wont let michael do the wacky things that make it a funny show

theres an entire clip show episode where the guy who played gale in breaking bad comes in and is asking toby if theres anything he should be aware of for company liability reasons and then they just show like ten clips of michael sexually harassing employees and then it cuts back to toby and hes like "no its fine" like wtf

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own

The only good things about watchmen were:

1) The Hooded Justice episode
2) Lube man
3) Anytime Tim Blake Nelson was on screen

I don't get this. Someone with a tragic past gets revenge on a lover?

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

I'm da May Queen, baby! [SOBBING]

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

in retrospect it shouldnt have surprised anyone that dwight fired a gun in the office since thats exactly the kind of thing michael got away with all the time

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

Forceholy posted:

2) Lube man

the looking glass episode was good too despite it being nearly irrelevant

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Forceholy posted:

2) Lube man

I mean I haven't seen the whole thing but it's super hosed up that she decides to have him killed because he was drugged and raped. I don't remember anything there that justified his death.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

Forceholy posted:

This is just me trying to fit the movies into the assertion made by the twit in question:

Joker is a fantasy where the locus of control being aggressively internalized is represented by killing the mean people that suck. This also gives you control over other people who respect your willingness to assert yourself. Since it doesn't frame the action within the moral boundaries of traditional superhero\villain tropes it's capped with the protag getting locked up so that we don't feel too weird about enjoying the chaos.

Midsommar is a fantasy where you get exactly what you wanted & couldn't even admit to yourself, but a magical cast of colorful, supportive characters do it on your behalf without you asking, while you're incapacitated, and you have plausible deniability that this is where everything was leading, which also lets us enjoy the chaos without feeling too weird. The locus of control is aggressively externalized.

Dean of Swing
Feb 22, 2012

Forceholy posted:

Dont they always.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

mysterious frankie posted:

This is just me trying to fit the movies into the assertion made by the twit in question:

Joker is a fantasy where the locus of control being aggressively internalized is represented by killing the mean people that suck. This also gives you control over other people who respect your willingness to assert yourself. Since it doesn't frame the action within the moral boundaries of traditional superhero\villain tropes it's capped with the protag getting locked up so that we don't feel too weird about enjoying the chaos.

Midsommar is a fantasy where you get exactly what you wanted & couldn't even admit to yourself, but a magical cast of colorful, supportive characters do it on your behalf without you asking, while you're incapacitated, and you have plausible deniability that this is where everything was leading, which also lets us enjoy the chaos without feeling too weird. The locus of control is aggressively externalized.

There's no plausible deniability there. She selects Christian to be the 9th sacrifice in her rights as the May Queen, and there's no ambiguity about it. Still you're getting to the core of it, which is that both films express a fantasy of striking back at a society that has marginalized and isolated the self from meaningful human contact & relationships. Only Joker moralizes the male violent impulse as inherently bad, while Midsommar validates the female impulse as socially justifiable. The former fails because the protagonist acts on his own without any support from society, while the latter succeeds because she is acting in concert with a society that seeks to welcome her.

All the foreigners brought into Harga had a chance to be accepted into the community, but their own refusal to respect their customs and integrate sealed their fates as sacrifices. Either on the one hand you had the English couple from Ingmar's group who expressed their cultural chauvinism without reservation and threatened to destroy the culture if they were allowed to leave, or you had the anthropology students who saw the culture as a mere curiosity they could profit privately from at Harga's expense. They should've known that they could never be allowed to leave after witnessing a ritual suicide, but they couldn't stop thinking of themselves to face reality. Only Dani is accepted because of her willingness to participate and not merely to observe.

Christian is also a good example of why the locus of control is internal and not externalized. Christian does end up participating in Harga rituals but only reluctantly out of the fear that it's what he's supposed to do. At no point does he ever express his own internal will, he only follows what he thinks society expects of him as a "good boyfriend" or follows the lead of Josh by stealing his thesis. He has to be herded by Harga into providing the only thing of his they can value, which is his seed. Dani on the other hand is always asserting her will despite the pressure of others, which is why she willingly participates in the May Pole ritual before taking the shroom tea - whereas Christian is dragged along by psychedelic suggestion.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Another quick point I'd like to make is that it's easy to misinterpret Harga as being a fascist society, because they act cohesively as a social organism in much the same way fascism views the nation as an organism whose health must be maintained at all costs. But the key difference here is that fascism is ultimately an expression of national chauvinism, where foreign and "degenerate" elements are reviled and only fit for destruction or subjugation. On the other hand, the Harga people value foreign elements and experiences to strengthen their own community, and even celebrate the deformed to a point where it's considered necessary for their ritual recreation.

Obviously there's something deeply wrong with a cult that practices ritual suicide and murder in a misguided attempt to maintain its own balance with nature, but the real horror on display in Midsommar is that the Harga society is a genuinely more idylic place to live than our own radically alienated secular capitalist world.

THS
Sep 15, 2017

ritual suicide at a certain age makes sense to me. i guess the obvious objection is that in such a community, someone wouldn’t have any leeway to not go through with it if they didn’t consent

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

There's no plausible deniability there. She selects Christian to be the 9th sacrifice in her rights as the May Queen, and there's no ambiguity about it. Still you're getting to the core of it, which is that both films express a fantasy of striking back at a society that has marginalized and isolated the self from meaningful human contact & relationships. Only Joker moralizes the male violent impulse as inherently bad, while Midsommar validates the female impulse as socially justifiable. The former fails because the protagonist acts on his own without any support from society, while the latter succeeds because she is acting in concert with a society that seeks to welcome her.

All the foreigners brought into Harga had a chance to be accepted into the community, but their own refusal to respect their customs and integrate sealed their fates as sacrifices. Either on the one hand you had the English couple from Ingmar's group who expressed their cultural chauvinism without reservation and threatened to destroy the culture if they were allowed to leave, or you had the anthropology students who saw the culture as a mere curiosity they could profit privately from at Harga's expense. They should've known that they could never be allowed to leave after witnessing a ritual suicide, but they couldn't stop thinking of themselves to face reality. Only Dani is accepted because of her willingness to participate and not merely to observe.

Christian is also a good example of why the locus of control is internal and not externalized. Christian does end up participating in Harga rituals but only reluctantly out of the fear that it's what he's supposed to do. At no point does he ever express his own internal will, he only follows what he thinks society expects of him as a "good boyfriend" or follows the lead of Josh by stealing his thesis. He has to be herded by Harga into providing the only thing of his they can value, which is his seed. Dani on the other hand is always asserting her will despite the pressure of others, which is why she willingly participates in the May Pole ritual before taking the shroom tea - whereas Christian is dragged along by psychedelic suggestion.

Pretty much no arguments here, both because I tentatively agree and I need to see Midsommar again before I can offer any ideas of value to a discussion on it. I was mainly trying to tease out what I thought the logic behind the person's comment that Midsommar is Joker for girls.

One thing I would argue against is the claim I bolded. Todd Philips has been chasing the dragon of reactionary punk nihilism since he made that GG Allin documentary and has only robed his death drive fetish in liberal morality as he's gotten older. Joker says everything and everyone is ugly and bad, might as well kill some people, or not, but if you do kill people the dumb system that sucks and hasn't been improved through your actions will punish you. Except it won't, because you'll run free in your new prison, because nothing matters and there is no such thing as an effective actor, be it an individual or institution.