Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Throatwarbler posted:

Oman's main export and economic sector is oil and it has huge reserves relative to its tiny population, which affords the population a very wealthy livelihood, they are just not significant enough in absolute numbers to give them any geopolitical clout. It's also not quite big enough that other sectors of the economy are completely squeezed out. Fishing and agriculture are still pretty big sectors for example and because the coastal highlands are actually quite lush with abundant rainfall it supplies a lot of the food to the rest of the region.

This is actually a requirement throughout all GCC market cars.

I know that wasn't the intent but "hermit Kingdom" is also a weird description tourism from other richer gulf states is a big thing.

All the gulf states are extraordinarily safe by world standards and Oman is extraordinarily safe even among the Gulf states, so it's laughable for Americans to be surprised that women can travel solo in complete safety, unless maybe they are lamenting the fact that huge swathes of most American cities are Bantu-stans that look like 1994 Grozny except with more sectarian militias and statistically more dangerous than most of Yemen.

TL;DR Oman is awesome, go there.

I was born and raised in Abu Dhabi. Goes to show that proximity doesnt equal informative lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...
I thought the ALL IS WELL tweet was a staff tweet that some intern added to try to seem authentically Trumpy.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
Lol at agreeing with anything throatwarbler has written ever, but it is pretty striking now that the US has let infrastructure just decay for 20 years and now much of any non-urban/metro part of the US looks strikingly like eastern europe in the early 2000s.

Jagged Jim posted:

I thought the ALL IS WELL tweet was a staff tweet that some intern added to try to seem authentically Trumpy.

To some extent it doesn't matter who was writing it because that doesn't change the issue of Trumps complete bungling of an international crisis into almost starting a shooting war over some bullshit. As to who wrote it, that one could go either way. It's very Trump in that it backs down from a fight the same way he always does when someone calls his bluff and "All is well! Missiles launched from Iran at two military bases located in Iraq" as a sentence does not seem like something anyone with even the tiniest understanding of communications would write, even if trying to ape the style of an idiot boss. Imo the real departure from the norm is that it was written 100% to back down unconditionally and to proactively prevent further escalation.

All is well, Iran's ballistic missiles are already in the air and are impacting our troops, I'll talk to you guys tomorrow: what a message for the ages

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Jan 18, 2020

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Rukeli posted:

I disagree that it's like "asking whether the Iraqis suffered more casualties from christian or jewish soldiers"; the sunni and shia militias didn't fight side by side against coalition forces but were at constant war with each other. To understand the conflict in Iraq is to understand the history of all ethno-religious groups in the country, and that history includes the insurgencies waged, hence I asked this question.

But I think I figured out the answer myself (outside Baghdad, most coalition casualties occured in Sunni Arab territory).

Al Sadr forces rebelled against the US same time as Iraqi forces remnants were bombing US Humvees in Anbar province. The US has the unparalled ability to unite supposed enemies in Iraq.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

wonder what his account name was

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Those trousers are seriously some thing.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

I thought it was a joke when I first saw the Brown Moses tweet.

FUCK SNEEP
Apr 21, 2007

MiddleOne posted:

I thought it was a joke when I first saw the Brown Moses tweet.

No I think they called him Jabba the Jihadi

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

V. Illych L. posted:

wonder what his account name was

It's obviously the fellow that LF sent money for special fat pants.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Somehow the grossest thing to me are his feet/ankles.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

wait. thats real. him being carted away in a loving pick up and being some high up ISIS supporter who oversaw horrible hell crimes while being a giant fat man is real. loving Hitman games irl i guess.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Jeez they're gonna need a crane to hang this fat motherfucker

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
You got to strangle him with the chain link to you metal bikini.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

mobby_6kl posted:

Jeez they're gonna need a crane to hang this fat motherfucker

i dunno if there's even anyway to hang somebody that large without the execution turning into one very messy decapitation

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

Dapper_Swindler posted:

wait. thats real. him being carted away in a loving pick up and being some high up ISIS supporter who oversaw horrible hell crimes while being a giant fat man is real. loving Hitman games irl i guess.

If ISIS had gotten some jetpacks he could've been Emir Harkonnen

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
So is there no Hadith against consuming soda and doritos to excess or something because I feel like that should be haraam

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Squalid posted:

i dunno if there's even anyway to hang somebody that large without the execution turning into one very messy decapitation

Apparently there is but I don't know if it works on humans (could be :nms:)

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Since nobody's saying it, this is a viral picture of Daesh mufti Abu Abdul Bari, aka Shifa al-Nima.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
That fat gentleman def has upper management written all over him.

Herostratus
May 1, 2013
https://twitter.com/AliBaroodi/stat...aqi-SWAT-614449

https://twitter.com/AliBaroodi/status/1217922069310124042

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
Imagine giving your life for that fat gently caress.

But then again, imagine giving it for that heartless rear end in a top hat, Dick Cheney.

Supervillians are real, is clearly what my point is.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

I'm sure he issued some big fatwas

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

His suicide belt would go off like a nuclear bomb.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Throatwarbler posted:

So is there no Hadith against consuming soda and doritos to excess or something because I feel like that should be haraam

i think there is something about being healthy or at least something that can be interpretive as such. i mean since when have the chud wahabists ever actually listened to Muhammad's messages PBUH

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Brown Moses posted:

nah. dude has his own gravitational pull. the bomb would probably sucked inward because of his center of gravity or something physics like.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Brown Moses posted:

"Finally, monsieur – a wafer-thin mint."

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Squalid posted:

If he asks for a last meal then I hope he finishes what Gary Carl Simmons Jr. and Lawrence Russell Brewer didn't. And if he asks for Spaghetti-O's they better give him Spaghetti-O's.

quote:

One Pizza Hut medium Super Supreme Deep Dish pizza with double portions of mushrooms, onions, jalapeño peppers, and pepperoni, a second pizza with three cheeses, olives, bell pepper, tomato, garlic, and Italian sausage, 10 8-oz. packs of Parmesan cheese, 10 8-oz. packs of ranch dressing, one family size bag of Doritos nacho cheese flavor, 8 oz. jalapeño nacho cheese, 4 oz. sliced jalapeños, 2 large strawberry shakes, two 20-oz. cherry Cokes, one super-size order of McDonald's fries with extra ketchup and mayonnaise, and two pints of strawberry ice cream. He consumed about half of the meal.

quote:

Two chicken fried steaks smothered in gravy with sliced onions; a triple meat bacon cheeseburger with fixings on the side; a cheese omelet with ground beef, tomatoes, onions, bell peppers and jalapeños; a large bowl of fried okra with ketchup; one pound of barbecue with half a loaf of white bread; three fajitas with fixings; a Meat Lovers pizza; three root beers; one pint of Blue Bell vanilla ice cream; and a slab of peanut butter fudge with crushed peanuts.[50] Brewer's request was granted, but he refused the meal when it arrived saying that he was simply not hungry, prompting Texas to stop granting last meal requests to condemned inmates.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

I imagine they gorge just to make the death poo poo all the more disgusting.

Rukeli
May 10, 2014

Shageletic posted:

Al Sadr forces rebelled against the US same time as Iraqi forces remnants were bombing US Humvees in Anbar province. The US has the unparalled ability to unite supposed enemies in Iraq.

But surely they weren't actually united, as Shia's were still indiscriminantly targeted in a massive bombing campaign?

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

I don't expect any trouble, but we'll be handing these out later...

Slippery Tilde

Brown Moses posted:

Possibly more like that time Oregon blew up a beached whale....

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Deteriorata posted:

"Finally, monsieur – a wafer-thin mint."

Somebody get me a bucket so I can issue a fatwah

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
I can’t help but notice he’s wearing the exact same thing in both photos, dude probably had exactly (1) change of clothes.

cda
Jan 2, 2010

by Hand Knit

Orange Devil posted:

Imagine giving your life for that fat gently caress.

I know right, giving your life in a worthless military conflict stings a lot less when your leaders look like...uhhh..."Supermen" of some kind

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

I don't expect any trouble, but we'll be handing these out later...

Slippery Tilde

Mazz posted:

I can’t help but notice he’s wearing the exact same thing in both photos, dude probably had exactly (1) change of clothes.
I think they're taken more or less at the same time when they picked him up.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

cda posted:

I know right, giving your life in a worthless military conflict stings a lot less when your leaders look like...uhhh..."Supermen" of some kind

When's that happened last anyway? The people deciding to go to war, especially the pointless ones (aka virtually all of them) tend to look like total ghouls.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Orange Devil posted:

When's that happened last anyway? The people deciding to go to war, especially the pointless ones (aka virtually all of them) tend to look like total ghouls.

Napoleon? He was only 35 when he had himself crowned Emperor.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Orange Devil posted:

W wasn't like abhorrently ugly or anything when he was president. Also Kennedy bears alot of responsibility for the Vietnam War and the Bay of Pigs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
You don't need to be Literally George Clooney to have twice as much charisma as mullah Kebab had. Osama bin Laden for instance was nearly two metres tall and, depending on your aesthetic standards, either not totally fugly or even quite handsome.