Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

freeways should go around towns, I thought

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Doc Hawkins posted:

freeways should go around towns, I thought

Void where prohibited. Some restrictions may apply. Offer not valid in minority neighborhoods.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting
Good news, "the market" will be answered with "new assets"!

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/z3bnme/tons-of-new-apartments-are-being-built-that-almost-no-one-can-afford

quote:

There’s a rampant homelessness crisis in large cities across the country, stoked by a lack of affordable housing units. But fear not — developers are constructing new apartments at a rapid clip this year.

The catch: Up to 80% of those rental units to be completed this year will be in luxury buildings the average person likely can’t afford

A sizable portion of this year’s expected 371,000 new rental units will also come online in cities with deep poverty and inequality crises, like Los Angeles, Dallas, and Washington, D.C., according to the data released Wednesday. In Dallas, nearly 21% of the city’s population lives below the poverty line, compared to a national average near 12%. In Los Angeles, where the homelessness population has swelled to 36,300 people, the poverty rate is 19%. In D.C., nearly 17% of the population is impoverished. Collectively, those cities will get nearly 60,000 new units.

The news that 80% of new units this year will be luxury further illustrates that the private market fails to provide housing for the lowest-income renters," said Diane Yentel, president of the National Low-Income Housing Coalition.

But hey "build more" is the solution so all is well. China and Wall Street will be super happy to have new places to park unneeded money.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
It's because the cost difference to build a normal apartment vs. a luxury apartment is practically nothing, but one can be marked up more to $$$maximize profits$$$

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

e.pilot posted:

It's because the cost difference to build a normal apartment vs. a luxury apartment is practically nothing, but one can be marked up more to $$$maximize profits$$$

Yeah, it's basically the counter tops and stainless steel appliances.

I saw that the SF supervisors approved a ballot initiative to put vacancy taxes on certain major areas for commercial storefronts. It's a good start, but we need to start doing these on new residential apartments and condos

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

e.pilot posted:

One hundred and fifty percent vacancy tax calculated against current market value. Problem solved.

Oh no! Market values are going down! I guess soon people will live in the empty places again. Sad.

Buffer
May 6, 2007
I sometimes turn down sex and blowjobs from my girlfriend because I'm too busy posting in D&D. PS: She used my credit card to pay for this.
Why vacancy taxes and not liberalizing adverse possession? Or, ideally, both.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

The Glumslinger posted:

Yeah, it's basically the counter tops and stainless steel appliances.

exactly

"luxury" is a totally meaningless qualifier in real estate - they make it sound like it's all car elevators and indoor waterfall pools because saying that construction incorporating modern insulation and in-unit laundry is unaffordable to regular people is a real bad look

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

Buffer posted:

Why vacancy taxes and not liberalizing adverse possession? Or, ideally, both.

tiered property taxes based on land use and occupancy, to incentivize resident ownership and disincentivize landlording and especially asset parking

no property tax for resident owners, as long as they have at least one resident per bedroom. can be family, roommate tenants, whatever. one warm body sleeping there more than 3/4 of the nights per year and listing it as their residence on dmv paperwork, zero property tax. next tier up is resident owners with excess unrented living space. something non-trivial but not debilitating either; we want to disincentivize empty bedrooms without severely punishing people for not renting to strangers.

next tier up is non-resident landlords who own three units or less (including their residence). the units are occupied, the landlords are Ma and Pa Retiree or whatever, who will eventually croak and the property will very likely be sold by their inheritors. these kinds of landlords are generally not causing many problems.

non resident landlords who are real actual flesh and blood human beings who own more than four units and manage them themselves: this is where we start to put the hurt on. this isn't you planning for your retirement under capitalism, this is you trying to get out of having a job. this is just you more or less being a parasite. but again, these are owned by a person who must live fairly close, since they can't hire property managers and go full absentee

nonresident landlords who are total absentees, using property managers to do everything that even approaches being "work" and just depositing checks of other people's money. gently caress these people. they're contributing nothing. the tax on this kind of behavior needs to be very high. it needs to be very difficult to make any money doing this.

and lastly, any landowner who is anything other than a resident, sole proprietor landlord, or housing non-profit (corporate landlords, essentially): the tax on this needs to be so high that it will only work in unusual outlier situations. this should be rare. it should not only be impossible in most situations to make a profit doing this, it should be very difficult to keep the losses from renting these properties to a level that makes it worth parking assets. and so steep that long-term vacant properties are essentially nonexistent.

also while we're fantasizing about things that are technically possible but seem practically insurmountable, i want to go on a motorcycle ride with kathleen hanna and dave chappelle

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

OMGVBFLOL posted:

this is you trying to get out of having a job. this is just you more or less being a parasite.

Your co-opting the right's messaging of trying to root out and squash people denying the market their labor, is counterproductive bordering hostile to those on the left who idealize a work-optional society. Of course you're right that the people you're describing are controlling enough property to create economic and social hazards that shouldn't be profitable, but you can articulate that without embracing mandatory wage servitude.

All peoples having the right of living in housing and not having to work to keep it is the dream. Your goals are good but your rhetoric is bad.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 11:38 on Jan 19, 2020

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

"capitalists are parasites who live off other people's work" is not a right-leaning opinion

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

OMGVBFLOL posted:

"capitalists are parasites who live off other people's work" is not a right-leaning opinion

lmao "co-opting the right's messaging"

this is "Bernie is populist like Trump!" tier

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

OMGVBFLOL posted:

"this is you trying to get out of a job" is because it glorifies working as valuable regardless of the work.

And the bedroom property tax creates a lot of werid incentives. Penalties for having spare rooms is dumb and if your solution to the housing problem is to force cohabitation then look forward to literal nazi takeovers when "when cohabitation goes wrong" stories start flooding the media and political backlash goes wild.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

Zachack posted:

"this is you trying to get out of a job" is because it glorifies working as valuable regardless of the work.

And the bedroom property tax creates a lot of werid incentives. Penalties for having spare rooms is dumb and if your solution to the housing problem is to force cohabitation then look forward to literal nazi takeovers when "when cohabitation goes wrong" stories start flooding the media and political backlash goes wild.

to incentivize it, not force it. when people rent bedrooms rather than let them sit empty they are contributing to a public resource. so why not give them a tax break versus people who have four bedrooms for two people?

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

Cup Runneth Over posted:

lmao "co-opting the right's messaging"

this is "Bernie is populist like Trump!" tier

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

OMGVBFLOL posted:

to incentivize it, not force it. when people rent bedrooms rather than let them sit empty they are contributing to a public resource. so why not give them a tax break versus people who have four bedrooms for two people?

this makes sense only in some theoretical fairyland where tenants occupying bedrooms in something designed as a single family home have no need for other rooms, or where their use of those other rooms somehow does not impact other residents at all.

the community land trust or other stuff about de-commodifying housing makes sense, but not this. this is just either inviting more "in-law apartment where you can't have parties ever and can't use the kitchen" bullshit or forcibly creating soviet-style communal apartments (which everyone hates). taxing the poo poo out of bad aspects of the existing system and hoping that the revenue will be used effectively to address the problems of said system AND not produce problematic unexpected side effects seems quite optimistic.

using taxation as an incentive to convert private ownership of housing stock to some other system seems reasonable, but you need a framework for that system in place first, at least at some level. use of the tax power to disincentivize lovely stuff is a legitimate and effective tactic, but only if there's some not lovely stuff to redirect that effort to already. without that good alternative, you'll likely just create new, differently lovely poo poo.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

OMGVBFLOL posted:

Because they'd like to use those bedrooms when they have guests/family over, I'd wager

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Yeah, I was referring to OMG assigning value to work, wasn’t making any statement about Bernie, etc. Someone wealthy enough they own four properties isn’t likely trying to avoid serving tables at Chili’s and is likely white collar, but letting individuals create housing franchises isn’t healthy.

Aside from the weird bedroom policy I get where they are coming from. Since people who want to have children usually buy a little bigger than they need right away, and since when children move out you often end up with a spare room, you wouldn’t want it to be too steep anyway.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Jan 20, 2020

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Because they'd like to use those bedrooms when they have guests/family over, I'd wager

so go hog wild, and pay 1% or whatever property tax strikes the appropriate balance

e: or rent to friends/family you don't mind living with, or remodel the extra space to make lockouts/inlaws, or put the house on the market for someone else and find a smaller place you won't be taxed on. anything is better for the housing market than the bedroom just sitting empty 350 days a year, so make it so anything is *marginally* better for the landowner

ee: and apparently i must repeatedly emphasize marginally because otherwise i get called soviet hitler or whatever

Cactus Ghost fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Jan 20, 2020

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

CMYK BLYAT! posted:

using taxation as an incentive to convert private ownership of housing stock to some other system seems reasonable, but you need a framework for that system in place first, at least at some level. use of the tax power to disincentivize lovely stuff is a legitimate and effective tactic, but only if there's some not lovely stuff to redirect that effort to already. without that good alternative, you'll likely just create new, differently lovely poo poo.

for sure, this would by no means solve the housing crisis, it's just closing some drains on the housing supply. there'd have to be changes in what incentivizes/enables construction too.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

Craptacular! posted:

Yeah, I was referring to OMG assigning value to work, wasn’t making any statement about Bernie, etc. Someone wealthy enough they own four properties isn’t likely trying to avoid serving tables at Chili’s and is likely white collar, but letting individuals create housing franchises isn’t healthy.

Aside from the weird bedroom policy I get where they are coming from. Since people who want to have children usually buy a little bigger than they need right away, and since when children move out you often end up with a spare room, you wouldn’t want it to be too steep anyway.

notice how i said one person per bedroom. this means anyone sharing a bedroom, like couples trying to get pregnant, would "fully occupy" a two-bedroom place.

i may not understand why suburbanites are so incredibly horny for spare bedrooms, but i understand that they are. bedrooms = residents makes the math simple and gives families room to grow

maybe a tax credit for full occupancy would sell better

e: also i'm aware that i'm driving a derail so i'm happy to shut up if theres california politics afoot

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

OMGVBFLOL posted:

notice how i said one person per bedroom. this means anyone sharing a bedroom, like couples trying to get pregnant, would "fully occupy" a two-bedroom place.

I grew up in a three bedroom house, and when we moved out and sold it my Dad put up a wall in one of them and revealed a doorway to the hall that had been hidden by paneling my whole life. One bedroom was originally two smaller ones. Maybe it’s that background, but I just chuckle at the thought of people knocking out walls and merging bedrooms to save on taxes.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Craptacular! posted:

I just chuckle at the thought of people knocking out walls and merging bedrooms to save on taxes.
Hi yes we have a 4 bedroom house... but it's two of us and one of these is actually a soft-office that my partner uses for business and finance related things and the other is rented to my cousin at a rate of $20 as she is a travelling photoblogger and only needs the space to upload her stuff to the cloud.

Yes all my tax exemption paperwork is in order thanks.

Also:
So my 3 bed space has a total of 7 tenants but one parking spot. Please help me manage the insane parking situation that has arisen thanks.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

FilthyImp posted:

So my 3 bed space has a total of 7 tenants but one parking spot. Please help me manage the insane parking situation that has arisen thanks.

rip up the parking space and put some public transit in. hope this helps

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy
I don't understand why the state doesn't just hire Elon Musk to dig us tunnel homes. Infinite tunnels in infinite dimensions. Tunnels we can live in. Tunnels we can raise children in. Tunnels to experience love in. Tunnels for heartbreak, and tunnels for healing. Tunnels for death, and tunnels for mourning. Tunnels for all, and none shall be untunneled. In California, we've finally found our home, and our home is tunnels. Welcome home, Californians. Welcome home.

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

Admiral Ray posted:

I don't understand why the state doesn't just hire Elon Musk to dig us tunnel homes. Infinite tunnels in infinite dimensions. Tunnels we can live in. Tunnels we can raise children in. Tunnels to experience love in. Tunnels for heartbreak, and tunnels for healing. Tunnels for death, and tunnels for mourning. Tunnels for all, and none shall be untunneled. In California, we've finally found our home, and our home is tunnels. Welcome home, Californians. Welcome home.

please don’t give them ideas

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
OMGVBFLOL I used to flip houses on the side and it would be trivially easy to get around your "unoccupied bedroom" tax, just take the closet door off and seal it up with framed drywall until you're ready to have someone live in it. Rooms without closets aren't considered bedrooms.

It would literally be a weekend project and save thousands in taxes, totally worth it.

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

Striving for 100% occupancy is totally stupid. I'm sorry if it gets in the way of your communist fantasies. It removes any slack in the system that could be used in case of emergencies.

A town/neighborhood burns down? Too bad, you're all on the street since there is nowhere to stay.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Maybe our taxes should be used to directly build houses instead of being funneled into developers and arms manufacturers

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Wild idea, I know

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Also suburb-style living has been a total disaster, let's get some medium density going and functional spaces for people, instead of Car Land where the people are an afterthought.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

Spazzle posted:

Striving for 100% occupancy is totally stupid. I'm sorry if it gets in the way of your communist fantasies. It removes any slack in the system that could be used in case of emergencies.

A town/neighborhood burns down? Too bad, you're all on the street since there is nowhere to stay.

jesus christ i know i'm not much at sales pitches but did you all just see red and go full berzerk at the possibility of someone paying less in taxes for forgoing a luxury you enjoy

people who rent rooms instead of leaving them vacant are adding to the housing supply. the point is to subsidize them doing that. that's it. the commissar is not going to come for you in the night because of your third bedroom with all the throw pillows

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

OMGVBFLOL posted:

jesus christ i know i'm not much at sales pitches but did you all just see red and go full berzerk at the possibility of someone paying less in taxes for forgoing a luxury you enjoy

people who rent rooms instead of leaving them vacant are adding to the housing supply. the point is to subsidize them doing that. that's it. the commissar is not going to come for you in the night because of your third bedroom with all the throw pillows

:jerkbag:

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

OMGVBFLOL posted:

Or instead we could just build more housing instead of a neoliberal tax credit for big families.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

👏subsidize👏more👏homeowners

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

OMGVBFLOL posted:

There are no market solutions to market problems.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

first they came for the bed scarves

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

giving subsidies to individuals only communicates that individuals are responsible for the problem. it's an ideological move, not a practical one. veritas alone owns 250 apartment buildings in san francisco. spare bedrooms are a pittance.

Doc Hawkins fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Jan 20, 2020

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

OMGVBFLOL posted:

renting out individual rooms helps nobody but the landlord (kill them all) and the commissar totally should do that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
It would be cheaper, more effective and leave less dead bodies to arm squatters or some poo poo

tax incentives exist to let neoliberal politicians say they're doing something while taking landlord money by the barrel