Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

It's bad, but not quite DA2 bad. It's basically a single player mmo where you do tedious fetch / kill quests.

Wasn't DA:I originally supposed to be an MMO, which resulted in it playing akin to one?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

DA:I has some okay writing and combat's kinda fun but its insanely bloated with fetch quests and bear pelts, and also it has the worst written lesbian in video game history to the point I resolved to never buy another EA or bioware game ever again, a vow I have upheld to this day.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
That's damning enough, thanks for the feedback.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Endorph posted:

DA:I has some okay writing and combat's kinda fun but its insanely bloated with fetch quests and bear pelts, and also it has the worst written lesbian in video game history to the point I resolved to never buy another EA or bioware game ever again, a vow I have upheld to this day.

Worse than previous lovely lesbian in a Bioware game Jack?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Worse than previous lovely lesbian in a Bioware game Jack?
shes basically a character from a wacky 2002 webcomic transposed into an aaa 2010s video game

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Endorph posted:

shes basically a character from a wacky 2002 webcomic transposed into an aaa 2010s video game

Man BIoware's character writing is just...the worst.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

its very telling that the best written characters are always the ones you cant gently caress

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

lmao that the single best character in the mass effect series got sidelined for game 2 and 3 because he can die in game 1

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

OK Im gonna need more details on this because what the gently caress

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

SirSamVimes posted:

lmao that the single best character in the mass effect series got sidelined for game 2 and 3 because he can die in game 1

Who, Kaiden or Wrex?

Endorph posted:

I haven't played Inquisition, but from looking at a character list, I'm guessing that's Sera?

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Jan 18, 2020

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Sera isn't even the worst-written character in Inquisition.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

exquisite tea posted:

Sera isn't even the worst-written character in Inquisition.
yeah she isnt which is the most hosed up thing

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Endorph posted:

what did you like about the combat? i thought it removed anything that made the previous games interesting

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
The best character in mass effect is Ashley because she has like an arc that doesn’t involve Shepard loving her right.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Max Wilco posted:

Who, Kaiden or Wrex?

I haven't played Inquisition, but from looking at a character list, I'm guessing that's Sera?

Given that I said "best character", why would you even think it was Kaiden :psyduck:

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Endorph posted:

Considering that the last two game Bioware put out were Mass Effect: Andromeda and Anthem, that was probably a good call.

SirSamVimes posted:

Given that I said "best character", why would you even think it was Kaiden :psyduck:

I was just thinking in terms of characters who can die in ME1, and I didn't want to rule anything out.

But yeah, I guess Kaiden is pretty forgettable.

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Jan 18, 2020

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Bioware games always managed to have enough characters I liked to fill out a party but rarely much more than that

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Inquisition was a game I finished

It was like the early gen definition of the bad kind of open world, where you're traveling on foot for miles with super slow traversal, to the point that I switched to a specific class just to spam the cooldown of a dash teleport to slightly go faster.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
DAI wasn't nearly as bad as DA2 but it's one of the most blatant "mmo as single player game" Rpgs I've played when it comes to boring open worlds and fetch/kill x enemies quests, to the point where I legitimately wondered if it was an abandoned MMO project.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
y'know i don't think i like lan's dad very much. there's being a workaholic and then there's literally never going home or seeing your family outside of a work party being hosted at your workplace and then continually trying to make up for it by bribing your kid with junk from work. sure he's better than chaud's dad but lol at being presented as the good parent in that mmbn3 scenario

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
in the battle network movie lan's dad gets kidnapped and put in an electronic eye torture chamber

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
i refuse to believe his eyes haven't already melted from staring at a computer screen 24/7

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
It's probably meant to be relatable to kids, and at least he's sleeping in the office inventing cool things and leading teams instead of transcribing massive stacks of forms and spreadsheets.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Looper posted:

i refuse to believe his eyes haven't already melted from staring at a computer screen 24/7

Computer glasses are very helpful in this regard.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Looper posted:

y'know i don't think i like lan's dad very much. there's being a workaholic and then there's literally never going home or seeing your family outside of a work party being hosted at your workplace and then continually trying to make up for it by bribing your kid with junk from work. sure he's better than chaud's dad but lol at being presented as the good parent in that mmbn3 scenario

I played almost all MMBN games but never actually finished one, do they ever go on how hosed up it is that he turned Lan's dead brother into an AI?

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013

Junpei Hyde posted:

OK Im gonna need more details on this because what the gently caress

Guy named WildBill takes SNES RPG translations that his personality-cult team does and contributes by rewriting the actual translation with his own high school creative writing level overly wordy prose. It’s mostly just not good, but then sometimes he takes it a step further and rewrites whole chunks to be anti-liberal, anti-tolerance, pro-Christian wingnut nonsense like in that screenshot.

As mentioned that particular scene happens when you try to buy a slave lady to save her from a guy beating her. So he made an abusive slave owner the mouthpiece for that particular rant.

Luckily he recently declared that he’s tired of people crapping on his rewrites and said if people want to play any new translations they have to come to him and beg for them so maybe he’s ruined his last game.

As a fan translator and SNES RPG fan I hate him quite a bit.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Barudak posted:

Its not like diablo at all, really. Its an action RPG, with leveling, currency, and tons of narrative but dungeons themselves follow roguelike rules with random layouts and drops that disappear at the end of the run. Theres 0 loot grind that diablo lives and dies by.

The game is really charming and I hope the devs avoided jail/worse in Iran.

Edit: It also uses a ton of "family" mechanics that should have been in a Castlevania game

Considering all the devs live in America and the only trouble they've had with Iran was that they had a routine court request to show that all of their paperwork was in order, I don't think they have much to worry there.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Getsuya posted:

Guy named WildBill takes SNES RPG translations that his personality-cult team does and contributes by rewriting the actual translation with his own high school creative writing level overly wordy prose. It’s mostly just not good, but then sometimes he takes it a step further and rewrites whole chunks to be anti-liberal, anti-tolerance, pro-Christian wingnut nonsense like in that screenshot.

As mentioned that particular scene happens when you try to buy a slave lady to save her from a guy beating her. So he made an abusive slave owner the mouthpiece for that particular rant.

Luckily he recently declared that he’s tired of people crapping on his rewrites and said if people want to play any new translations they have to come to him and beg for them so maybe he’s ruined his last game.

As a fan translator and SNES RPG fan I hate him quite a bit.

That is insanely dumb

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

I'm still confused about making the slave owner/beater the mouthpiece for your lovely politics.

That's like negative self-awareness.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

I'm just boggling at that rant apparently following trying to buy the slave lady with I presume your own money. And that's somehow stealing?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
If you're constantly on the lookout for places to insert those kinds of rants where it flows at least semi-naturally, you'll inevitably end up putting it in the mouths of rich assholes more often than not, I assume

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i like in princess minerva where there's an innocuous joke about a town having three entrances when one of them doesn't really go anywhere

and wildbill edited into a longer joke where the main character says "why is there a third road" and the npc says "don't ask me, i'm against wasteful government spending!"

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

The Colonel posted:

i like in princess minerva where there's an innocuous joke about a town having three entrances when one of them doesn't really go anywhere

and wildbill edited into a longer joke where the main character says "why is there a third road" and the npc says "don't ask me, i'm against wasteful government spending!"
that joke is so forced it becomes funny again

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

i've been playing collection of mana recently, and while ffa doesn't exactly have a super shakespearean plot and translation, plus the moment probably would have landed better if there was more development with the characters...

the fact that you gotta hit A to finish off amanda after she gets bit by medusa (which reminds me of zombie movies??) instead of it just being a cutscene + manually walk over to her afterwards hits pretty hard :(

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Booky posted:

i've been playing collection of mana recently, and while ffa doesn't exactly have a super shakespearean plot and translation, plus the moment probably would have landed better if there was more development with the characters...

the fact that you gotta hit A to finish off amanda after she gets bit by medusa (which reminds me of zombie movies??) instead of it just being a cutscene + manually walk over to her afterwards hits pretty hard :(

it boggles my mind that more games don't do stuff like this

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
tbh i really dislike ffa's writing purely because it lays on scenes like that so thickly and consistently and it makes sure especially to do it whenever it introduces a woman who has any amount of plot relevance

i don't mind a story wanting to have some amount of emotional shock or w/e but ffa just throws around those kinds of scenes like candy and there's nothing approaching interesting payoff for any of it but the loving chocobo who gets turned into a robot

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Jan 19, 2020

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

Looper posted:

yeah, like the only other game i can think of (+ remembered about) that does it is mgs3 + pw! :( are there any others?

The Colonel posted:

tbh i really dislike ffa's writing purely because it lays on scenes like that so thickly and consistently and it makes sure especially to do it whenever it introduces a woman who has any amount of plot relevance

i don't mind a story wanting to have some amount of emotional shock or w/e but ffa just throws around those kinds of scenes like candy and there's nothing approaching interesting payoff for any of it but the loving chocobo who gets turned into a robot

so far it's just been the character i mentioned that has it happen to her + it uncursed parrot bard lester, but maybe it happens moreso later in (never played ffa before)? i can see how it'd get a bit silly + tiresome after the like 4th time tho!

(edited a bit)

Booky fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Jan 19, 2020

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Looper posted:

Yeah, having a little bit of physical input can often make scenes a lot more impactful. In the good ending of inFamous 2 you sacrifice yourself to save the city and to do so, you hold the shoulder buttons to charge up and then the game gives you a prompt that is just "Let go." The double meaning of letting go of the buttons also meaning letting go in general hit me hard and I just sat on that screen for a minute before I could bring myself to release the buttons and end the game.

inFamous 2 was real good y'all.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Booky posted:

so far it's just been the character i mentioned that has it happen to her + it uncursed parrot bard lester, but maybe it happens moreso later in (never played ffa before)? i can see how it'd get a bit silly + tiresome after the like 4th time tho!
(edited a bit)

I think it happens three times in total, but only if you realize one important thing while playing and play to the very end.

Also the greatest tear jerker in that game for me was looking up what a Dodo was and getting said. (The German translation made the Chocobo into a "Dodo" for some reason.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Booky posted:

yeah, like the only other game i can think of (+ remembered about) that does it is mgs3 + pw! :( are there any others?

ff7