Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

j.peeba
Oct 25, 2010

Almost Human
Nap Ghost

Laserjet 4P posted:

All these things sound like NodeJS packages and I guess there is a direct correlation between the name and how obscure/expensive the module is

Yeah, many of the manufacturers are really into obfuscating what their modules actually do. A lot of them follow some weird naming system. Noise Engineering uses latin, Endorphin.es aerospace terminology and Mutable Instruments has 2-3 syllable nouns in plural. I guess this is slightly better than the synth tradition of just having a few letters followed by some numbers but sometimes when the whimsy extends to product descriptions or manuals (I’m looking at you, Mannequins/Whimsical Raps!) it gets annoying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

stillvisions posted:

They've already sold out.

Followed by the sounds of everyone cancelling their preorders.

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

j.peeba posted:

Yeah, many of the manufacturers are really into obfuscating what their modules actually do. A lot of them follow some weird naming system. Noise Engineering uses latin, Endorphin.es aerospace terminology and Mutable Instruments has 2-3 syllable nouns in plural. I guess this is slightly better than the synth tradition of just having a few letters followed by some numbers but sometimes when the whimsy extends to product descriptions or manuals (I’m looking at you, Mannequins/Whimsical Raps!) it gets annoying.

It gets even better when the copy-pasted product description starts off with a short story instead of an abstract for what it is.

The Eternal Colonoscopy from Angry Panda Synthesis provides a world of sonic exploration previously unknown to mankind. Like the maligned Sisyphus, boulder to shoulder, pushing to the crest of the hill, so will you understand audio wonder when your mix and struggle are eternally enhanced by this module. All-analog design, suitable for demanding audio needs, capable of filling the need for the harshest noise performer or the gentlest minimalist. An endless ocean of audio awaits you when utilized in the most extreme of soundscapes.

Dual VCA, VCA 2 normalized to the input of VCA 1. ADSR control with an additional "audio fist" input; you'll just have to discover for yourself what this does to your envelope. 12 HP.

Mr. Dick
Aug 9, 2019

by Cyrano4747
Bring back metasonix naming conventions.

Clavavisage
Nov 12, 2011

VoodooXT posted:

Followed by the sounds of everyone cancelling their preorders.

thats not how big studio budgets and expense accounts see it

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

stillvisions posted:

The Eternal Colonoscopy from Angry Panda Synthesis

It sounds incredibly exciting and versatile. Like everything I’ve seen presented at NAMM 2020!

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

rickiep00h posted:

I should get money that allows for more than what I already own, which is a M32 and a DFAM and that's it.

I hear Sweetwater has some pretty sweet deals if you land the right rep...

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

JamesKPolk posted:

I hear Sweetwater has some pretty sweet deals if you land the right rep...

Unless the deal is "free" it's not gonna work. ;)

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

So Math posted:

Yeah, I don't use the patch bank, I always save my patches as individual .syx files on my hard drive.

Circuit pads are known to have some contact issues. I've seen folks recommend flipping the unit upside down and giving it a sharp tap to loosen any dust (?) under there. Their support team (spares@focusrite.com) is friendly, too.

Thanks for the tips. It’s brand new, hopefully not too much dust.

Do you (or anyone) know if there is anything like a patch flip for the synths?

I’ve also noticed it doesn’t send macro automation over MIDI, even though it does send those commands over MIDI when you’re just changing them. Maybe I’m doing something wrong.

rickiep00h posted:

Sometimes I just set up a random-note patch on the Mother 32 and let it play for a couple hours because I'm a weirdo like that and just enjoy the ambient-lite minimalism of it.

Used to do this on mushrooms, amazing how a single chord can contain so much music 😂

Anyone got any experience to comment on a sub phatty vs bass station 2?

I ended up getting the BS2 because while I was going for a sub phatty they weren’t available

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT
My own contribution to the Wendy Carlos esque fun, I made this real quick, and didn't take the time to do nearly as much as mixing as I should've.

https://soundcloud.com/user973350011/finlandia

Flutes-Arturia Modular
Oboes-Arturia Modular
Clarinets-DX7
Bassoons-DX7
French Horns-Matrix 12
Trumpets-Arturia Pigments
Tuba-Mini
Timpani-Mini
Violins, Violas, Cellos-Pigments
Bass-Mini

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier
E: ^Ooh, nice choice.

echinopsis posted:

Do you (or anyone) know if there is anything like a patch flip for the synths?

Novation has kept patch flip exclusive to the Circuit Mono Station, which is kind of a bummer imo. You could try to fake what you want in the macro editor. For example, here's a macro that activates OSC2 and engages the filter drive when the knob is past 50%.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Sorry for my ignorance but can you explain the macro numbers to me?

What I think it means is that, the two numbers on the dial mean the extents of the value that you can twist between, and depth, well I’m just not sure

But what you’ve explained makes it sound like I’m wrong

I tried to make one where the volume of OSC1 was controlled by first dial and osc2 by second, so that turning down both gave no output but it doesn’t seem to do anything, which makes me think I misunderstand the macro numbers in the editor completely

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

W424 posted:

gently caress sequencers, drone/harsh noise wall.

This post reminded me to try farting around with making drone-type stuff, without having a clue how to go about it. I just spent like 45 minutes holding a low B-flat and getting a good delay/reverb/noise blend pulsing along on the Minilogue. It is awesome and I recorded it.

So, as a synth noob, is NAMM the time of year you guys get second mortgages and stuff to buy new gear? Coming from the drum world, there's usually not a ton of interesting new stuff to look at.

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier

echinopsis posted:

Sorry for my ignorance but can you explain the macro numbers to me?

Sure! I like talking about this stuff.

Each knob has a value between 0 and 127, which can be sent up to four places in your synth patch. The start and end controls let you re-scale the knob for each destination. Anything below the start value is treated as 0, anything above the end value is treated as 127, and the values in between are scaled between those extremes.

The knob value is then multiplied by the Depth setting, and finally sent off to the destination in the drop down window. I usually start my macros with 63 depth, then turn it down if the knob makes changes that are too extreme. If the Depth is zero, then nothing will happen.

For the example I posted, anything below the start value 63 has one oscillator playing, and anything above the end value 64 has two. Since I have the depth at its maximum setting, OSC 2 will go to its maximum volume. The depth for the distortion is only 32; even when the knob is maxed out, the distortion will only be at 50%. (More or less)

The values from the macros get added to whatever the settings are in the rest of the patch. If OSC 2 is already maxed out in the mixer section, then my macro can't make it any louder. I need OSC 2 to be at minimum volume in the mixer for this macro to work.

See if this mixer setting fixes your macros.

(Alternatively, I could use a negative depth value, so my macro would subtract from the volume instead.)

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
OH I think I see why it wasn’t doing anything now, thanks.

The macro’s value “adds” to the destination value, rather than sets it.

Excellent. I can now make some simple patches

The UX for the components tho still leaves a lot to be desired. It seems odd you can edit a patch and it changes the circuit in real time, but to send patches to the circuit it needs to go into this weird connect mode, which crashes windows and only works on my mac. Even unplugging the USB from my circuit (when it’s on) bluescreens windows.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

They make ones for 19 V, 3.42 A, center-positive?

Not currently. For something like that you may just need to buy a powerbank that has outlets on it, which is what people were doing before ripcords. They're a bit more expensive, but they do the trick.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
I mean I could just save a couple hundred bucks, get the MC-101 and not get lost in menu diving, and get a that neat Scatter effect as a bonus.

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier

echinopsis posted:

The UX for the components tho still leaves a lot to be desired. It seems odd you can edit a patch and it changes the circuit in real time, but to send patches to the circuit it needs to go into this weird connect mode, which crashes windows and only works on my mac. Even unplugging the USB from my circuit (when it’s on) bluescreens windows.

That is weird that its crashing. I don't know what's going on there. You should be able to overwrite the patches one at a time from the editor with the Store to Circuit button at the top right, and it will ask you where to put the new patch on the grid.

Isotonik has an editor that's pretty nice, but they may have pulled the free version after Components came out. Part of the UX issue is just how Circuit stores sessions and patches, though.

Real time changes get stored to the session when you hit the physical save button on the circuit, but not to the onboard patches. This is the reason why the Init sessions always have the factory bass and keys sounds for synths 1 and 2, even if you overwrite those patches with something else.

Patches are stored separate from the sessions. When you call them up in a session, you're overwriting the session's current synth parameters.

So Math fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Jan 20, 2020

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Oh ok. Thanks for the great advice, you really know your poo poo!

I’ll try to get components working better. I’m
quite unfamiliar with how to get sounds out of a synth that’s not a basic suburb good synth but also really keen to see what I can do

excellent bird guy
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747
Drum Brute is really fun as a midi controller/sequencer. I didn't care much for the drum sounds. It has a 1 octave voice, and to use it for a very percussive melody rather than drums, it's just really good.

beeker
Dec 17, 2006

meep meep!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UkhYuS6vxGU

tl;dw: ARP2600 clone, dimmable LEDs, rackmounted, not a huge desk footprint, MIDI in/thru, no price mentioned yet, production model will be shown at Superbooth 20 in April.

rump buttman
Feb 14, 2018

I just wish I had time for one more bowl of chili

A local's selling a roland SH 201 and I'm going to check it out later today.

What should I do to function check it? Like try every key, twist every knob, slide every slider, make sure they are all making sound? anything more to it than that?

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Blargh, I wish Behringer could get their production up. I'd love to go buy a dozen of those new modules and dive into modular today, but just waiting till next year or whatever they decide to release them is going to kill me.

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

rump buttman posted:

A local's selling a roland SH 201 and I'm going to check it out later today.

What should I do to function check it? Like try every key, twist every knob, slide every slider, make sure they are all making sound? anything more to it than that?

try to save a patch, maybe? idk if thats a big deal these days with flash memory but ive gotten deals on synths with dead backup batteries

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
God damnit I couldn't help myself. I was looking to see if the Behringer powered case was at least available and I accidentally ordered the Cre8Audio Nifty Bundle that comes with a 84HP powered case w/ built in MIDI/USB/CV and comes with two modules to begin my fart exploration.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Philthy posted:

God damnit I couldn't help myself. I was looking to see if the Behringer powered case was at least available and I accidentally ordered the Cre8Audio Nifty Bundle that comes with a 84HP powered case w/ built in MIDI/USB/CV and comes with two modules to begin my fart exploration.

gooble gobble gooble gobble

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

I’d been keeping an eye on the niftybundle too. if all goes well i’ll pick one up in a month and begin my descent.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever
hail satan :palmon::birddrugs: :retrogames:
gonna need that korg DX when they decide to sell it. hope they aren’t dummies and make it multitimbral with some real polyphony.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe
All FM synths shall tremble before the might of the Kodamo Essence FM with 300 voices.

https://kodamo.org/

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Anybody do a lot of recording straight to media (as opposed to having a computer/audio interface in the mix)? I have a small synth setup at work and want to be able to record extended fart sessions, but don't really want to get a PC in the mix, and I'm looking for as few bits and bobs as possible. Is a small mixer that'll record straight to USB the best option or is there something else out there I'm overlooking (besides, like, a Tascam 4-track...)

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

Those Zoom mixers are pretty cool, I've played them at jams and gotten good results. Feels like there has to be more though.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever

Laserjet 4P posted:

All FM synths shall tremble before the might of the Kodamo Essence FM with 300 voices.

https://kodamo.org/

Get behind me satan
and pop the trunk to install this
god drat thing
directly into my rear end

e: $1200 hmmmmmmmmmmmm gently caress

Startyde fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Jan 21, 2020

rump buttman
Feb 14, 2018

I just wish I had time for one more bowl of chili

byob historian posted:

try to save a patch, maybe? idk if thats a big deal these days with flash memory but ive gotten deals on synths with dead backup batteries

Thanks my dude. I ended up buying off the guy. $265 with stand, and a couple of midi cables. I've been playing with it for the last hour and it's pretty dope. I spent more than I originally planned but the feature set is pretty cool and the 4 octave keyboard is great.

I'd also like to thank Mr Dick, Snorch, Lead out in Cuffs, Annoybot, Pillowface, A Miracle, (and anyone i missed) for the advice.

I'm pretty stoked with the new instrument and your advice helped.

If anyone has suggestions on how to experiment with the sounds, dope patches to try or where to read up on shaping the sounds, Id be grateful.

Mr. Dick
Aug 9, 2019

by Cyrano4747
Reading the manual is a good idea. Good to know what the features on your synth are, even the ones you never use.

https://www.roland.com/us/products/sh-201/support/

spider wisdom
Nov 4, 2011

og data bandit
BARP2600 looks super great and future-me with a lot more space and money will likely own one... but current me would make room for that sweet, sweet CS80 clone they teased last year.

missed the SE02 talk from a few pages ago — wanted to mention short of swapping out knobs, the best One Weird Trick you can do is adding an index with electrical tape:

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

I'm kind of whatever on new gear, but that 2600 looks super interesting. I liked the engineer guy they had working on it, too, he seemed genuine. Going to go learn about the original in the meantime.

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

spider wisdom posted:

BARP2600 looks super great and future-me with a lot more space and money will likely own one... but current me would make room for that sweet, sweet CS80 clone they teased last year.

missed the SE02 talk from a few pages ago — wanted to mention short of swapping out knobs, the best One Weird Trick you can do is adding an index with electrical tape:

did this with painters tape on my moogerfoogers

(which was such a pain it pushed me towards modular lol)

& enjoy the new keys buttman !

j.peeba
Oct 25, 2010

Almost Human
Nap Ghost

MockingQuantum posted:

Anybody do a lot of recording straight to media (as opposed to having a computer/audio interface in the mix)? I have a small synth setup at work and want to be able to record extended fart sessions, but don't really want to get a PC in the mix, and I'm looking for as few bits and bobs as possible. Is a small mixer that'll record straight to USB the best option or is there something else out there I'm overlooking (besides, like, a Tascam 4-track...)

Since my previous mixer just gave up, I’ve been eyeing the Tascam Model 12 they announced NAMM a few days ago. It’s got integrated SD recording although it’s not really minimalistic. Another approach altogether would be to get a small portable mixer that has 2 sets of outputs and just plug the others into a zoom recorder or similar. A bit more fiddly since you’ll have to check for volume levels etc separately but that might suit your needs better.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

Philthy posted:

Hey screw you for telling me about this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

96 BELOW THE WAVE
Sep 12, 2011

all your prayers must seem as nothing

Trig Discipline posted:

Hey screw you for telling me about this.

I feel like this is a thread motto.