Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which House?
Black Eagles
Blue Lions
Golden Deer
View Results

Airspace
Nov 5, 2010

Shinji117 posted:

People should stop falling over and over again for Cythereal's bait.

Except being 'anti-war' is a completely valid stance to take?

Because it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Threatening stuffed animals for fun and profit.

Oh, Caspar gonna take off his armor and he and that demonic beast are gonna SMASH.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Endorph posted:

I think avatar characters restrict the writing in awful ways and also make people focus on things in really silly ways (for instance framing this game's gay rep around who byleth can get with while ignoring all the non-byleth content), so I think the games are better off without them. You can still have a main character whose gender you can choose, just make them an actual character with normal dialogue in conversations and don't frame scenes as them being 'you.'

Is Robin an avatar or a character who's gender you can choose? Just curious because to me Robin falls under that second, since they have a distinct and actual personality. Though also just by virtue of me picking them they felt like 'me'. I would be happy with more Robin esque characters or them going full CRPG. Either way would make me happy.

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020

Endorph posted:

I think avatar characters restrict the writing in awful ways and also make people focus on things in really silly ways (for instance framing this game's gay rep around who byleth can get with while ignoring all the non-byleth content), so I think the games are better off without them. You can still have a main character whose gender you can choose, just make them an actual character with normal dialogue in conversations and don't frame scenes as them being 'you.'

I'm fine with this. I also get involved in a story better if it is about an actual character not 'me'. I'm don't feel I'm 'following some random schmuck', I feel like I'm following a story rather than intruding into it. Also games can and should have major female characters, I agree. I just don't agree an avatar is the best way to do it. It's cool if you do and that is your preference though, and honestly I don't see FE going back to the old way in any case. We can just hope future avatars are more Robin than Corrin.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Eimi posted:

Is Robin an avatar or a character who's gender you can choose? Just curious because to me Robin falls under that second, since they have a distinct and actual personality. Though also just by virtue of me picking them they felt like 'me'. I would be happy with more Robin esque characters or them going full CRPG. Either way would make me happy.
Robin is almost the second but they still have first person point of view in the cg cutscenes, can gently caress everyone, and are framed as a selfinsert in said s supports

What i want is literally just 'do you want boy ike or girl ike' and ike is still written exactly like ike. Or i guess the original pitch of fe9 where youd pick between ike or mist, theyd have their own starter chapters, and then whichever one you didnt get would get murked by the burger king along with greil and the game would go from there. That kind of thing.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Jan 19, 2020

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Endorph posted:

Robin is almost the second but they still have first person point of view in the cg cutscenes, can gently caress everyone, and are framed as a selfinsert in said s supports

What i want is literally just 'do you want boy ike or girl ike' and ike is still written exactly like ike. Or i guess the original pitch of fe9 where youd pick between ike or mist , theyd have their own starter chapters, and then whichever one you didnt get would get murked by the burger king along with greil and the game would go from there

I thought the cutscene view was just a conceit to the fact that they didn't want to render a cutscene for every version of Robin. Hence why Byleth just has one look even though she's way more avatar than Robin is.

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020

Endorph posted:

What i want is literally just 'do you want boy ike or girl ike' and ike is still written exactly like ike. Or i guess the original pitch of fe9 where youd pick between ike or mist, theyd have their own starter chapters, and then whichever one you didnt get would get murked by the burger king along with greil and the game would go from there. That kind of thing.

I'd like this a lot.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Eimi posted:

I thought the cutscene view was just a conceit to the fact that they didn't want to render a cutscene for every version of Robin. Hence why Byleth just has one look even though she's way more avatar than Robin is.
Thats also a factor im sure but it still leads to them feeling like a selfinsert, regardless of what the intent was.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
Bring back face-scan technology so I can truly self-insert.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Shinji117 posted:

People should stop falling over and over again for Cythereal's bait.
It's not even good or novel bait, it's just "Edelgard bad (occasionally give a reason)" and then the thread gains three dozen more replies in like ten minutes. Rinse and repeat.

Edelgard absolutely IS the villain though. Like, that's even been a speculative argument as to some of her route issues - that she was added later in the development cycle for one reason or another, and some of the route problems are basically trying to reconcile helping the villain with having a good ending. Hell, even aside from the shortness or other overall route issues, the route itself has an almost lighthearted atmosphere - extending to the other students - that absolutely does not fit what's going on and clashes with the personalities of several students as presented literally everywhere else.

Like, it's fine to like her, particularly since she DOES mean well, but from an objective standpoint she's monstrous - even ignoring various behind-the-scenes stuff in the school portion, she starts a continent-spanning war on false reasoning (virtually every objection she has against the Church/Rhea is either false or incredibly skewed), engages in various shady and authoritarian crap in any route other than her own, and even in Crimson Flower it's made a point that she basically obliterates the history of Faergus and the Alliance after winning - an issue that is not repeated in either a Faergus or Alliance victory.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Endorph posted:

yea the avatars introduce a bunch of problems to the writing that weren't in the pre avatar fire emblems

the avatar stuff is super popular so it's not gonna go anywhere tho

Junpei Hyde posted:

remember griffon riders

those were cool

what about wyvern knights

remember those

Genovera
Feb 13, 2014

subterranean
space pterodactyls

Endorph posted:

What i want is literally just 'do you want boy ike or girl ike' and ike is still written exactly like ike.

This compromise would be better than nothing but also why can't we just have girl Ike. Why must it be a male protagonist or a choice between the two? And this kind of thing tends to treat the male option as the default still (like how male Robin/Corrin/Byleth is default in Smash Bros).

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

Cythereal posted:

I approach role-playing games very differently than you do. I play games to get involved with the story, not to follow along some random schmuck unless it's a schmuck I can identify with and like.

Straight up, if this game was a choice of playing as Edelgard, Dimitri, or Claude, I'd have left it on the shelf.

I honestly don't know how you can get involved with the story when you literally read everything there is to know about the game before playing it. Like you know what's going to happen, you know the plot and you've planned your pairings months in advance - unless you're really into the gameplay for some reason, why do you bother?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Genovera posted:

This compromise would be better than nothing but also why can't we just have girl Ike. Why must it be a male protagonist or a choice between the two? And this kind of thing tends to treat the male option as the default still (like how male Robin/Corrin/Byleth is default in Smash Bros).

i mean even if they did have a solo female protagonist its unlikely that literally every fire emblem from this point on would have a solo female protagonist

also female corrin is treated as the default just about everywhere except smash brothers

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

eating only apples posted:

I honestly don't know how you can get involved with the story when you literally read everything there is to know about the game before playing it. Like you know what's going to happen, you know the plot and you've planned your pairings months in advance - unless you're really into the gameplay for some reason, why do you bother?

Because I enjoy the story and characters, as well as the gameplay?

I don't like surprises or going into things blind. I'm the kind of person who re-reads books over and over again, and plays games over and over again, because it's comfortable and familiar and fun.

Genovera
Feb 13, 2014

subterranean
space pterodactyls

Endorph posted:

i mean even if they did have a solo female protagonist its unlikely that literally every fire emblem from this point on would have a solo female protagonist

also female corrin is treated as the default just about everywhere except smash brothers

I am not saying that literally every fire emblem from this point on has to have a solo female protagonist. I am saying that if there is a solo protagonist they should be female half of the time.

Also, I just booted Fire Emblem Fates to check, and if you start a new file it starts with male Corrin selected by default. The game itself sees him as the default, like most games.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Airspace posted:

Except being 'anti-war' is a completely valid stance to take?

Because it is.

Gonna make a 3H romhack where edelgard engages rhea in the free marketplace of ideas

Shinji117
Jul 14, 2013

Junpei Hyde posted:

Gonna make a 3H romhack where edelgard engages rhea in the free marketplace of ideas
"Have you considered not using lies about Crests to prop up a vicious and abusive caste system?"
"Caaaaaaatherine I need your sword here"

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
The problem with avatar characters is that they're essentially along for the ride.

Ike is good because he has a well developed family, personality, goals and weaknesses in the first section of the first game, that he overcomes and develops as the center of the story in the remaining sections. He makes major choices that effect the outcome of events. There's a clear arch from a naive kid mercenary to a sorta disenchanted freedom fighter / legend.

Even the design of the character reflects what happens over the 50 or so hours of the two games in, I think, an emotionally evocative way.

Byleth, like Ike, has a mysterious mercenary dad, who gets killed, and I guess that's a motivation of a sort. But ultimately they have no real impact on the story except being extraordinarily talented and every other character wants them around for reasons that aren't developed because they don't really exist. There's no struggle about being a living god or choosing to be a teacher, or which house to pick because the choice is made before any consequences of that choice present themselves.

A much better perspective would to be an incoming student who picks a house and develops a close friendship with future royalty, with writing that actually shows your character influencing them and later being given choices to make (perhaps written into the story, not choices the player can decide). You could still turn out to be a living god or whatever but have it manafest in a way other than 'oh that's neat'.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

Lord Koth posted:

Edelgard absolutely IS the villain though. Like, that's even been a speculative argument as to some of her route issues - that she was added later in the development cycle for one reason or another, and some of the route problems are basically trying to reconcile helping the villain with having a good ending. Hell, even aside from the shortness or other overall route issues, the route itself has an almost lighthearted atmosphere - extending to the other students - that absolutely does not fit what's going on and clashes with the personalities of several students as presented literally everywhere else.

Like, it's fine to like her, particularly since she DOES mean well, but from an objective standpoint she's monstrous - even ignoring various behind-the-scenes stuff in the school portion, she starts a continent-spanning war on false reasoning (virtually every objection she has against the Church/Rhea is either false or incredibly skewed), engages in various shady and authoritarian crap in any route other than her own, and even in Crimson Flower it's made a point that she basically obliterates the history of Faergus and the Alliance after winning - an issue that is not repeated in either a Faergus or Alliance victory.

A true hero.

Faerghus's history deserves to be obliterated.

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020

Modest Mao posted:

The problem with avatar characters is that they're essentially along for the ride.

Ike is good because he has a well developed family, personality, goals and weaknesses in the first section of the first game, that he overcomes and develops as the center of the story in the remaining sections. He makes major choices that effect the outcome of events. There's a clear arch from a naive kid mercenary to a sorta disenchanted freedom fighter / legend.

Even the design of the character reflects what happens over the 50 or so hours of the two games in, I think, an emotionally evocative way.

Byleth, like Ike, has a mysterious mercenary dad, who gets killed, and I guess that's a motivation of a sort. But ultimately they have no real impact on the story except being extraordinarily talented and every other character wants them around for reasons that aren't developed because they don't really exist. There's no struggle about being a living god or choosing to be a teacher, or which house to pick because the choice is made before any consequences of that choice present themselves.

A much better perspective would to be an incoming student who picks a house and develops a close friendship with future royalty, with writing that actually shows your character influencing them and later being given choices to make (perhaps written into the story, not choices the player can decide). You could still turn out to be a living god or whatever but have it manafest in a way other than 'oh that's neat'.

This sums it up really well

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

The fact that the avatar character goes full silent protagonist in the first game to feature both an avatar and full voice acting is awful.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Shinji117 posted:

"Have you considered not using lies about Crests to prop up a vicious and abusive caste system?"
"Caaaaaaatherine I need your sword here"

Rhea uses the monetisation gained from her live youtube debate stream to run more crusades with her child soldier school

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Genovera posted:

I am not saying that literally every fire emblem from this point on has to have a solo female protagonist. I am saying that if there is a solo protagonist they should be female half of the time.
Issue is the other half of the time people would want a female protagonist. I think the selectable gender thing kinda solves it.

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

GOTTA HAVE THAT PAX BISONICA
kris's relationship with katarina was cool and good

katarina's internal conflict was cool and good

new mystery was cool and good

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Junpei Hyde posted:

Rhea uses the monetisation gained from her live youtube debate stream to run more crusades with her child soldier school

I'll donate 500G to a charity of your choice if you debate me on stream Edelgard.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Ike is also good because he’s a gay scalie/furry.

Genovera
Feb 13, 2014

subterranean
space pterodactyls

Endorph posted:

Issue is the other half of the time people would want a female protagonist. I think the selectable gender thing kinda solves it.

I guess then we can have a female protagonist half the time, and selectable gender the other half ;)

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

what's the over/under on the strategist from fe7 being an actual unit in the inevitable remake

Like Clockwork
Feb 17, 2012

It's only the Final Battle once all the players are ready.

i Know that's how it's going to happen but I don't have to be happy about mark getting a face

Airspace
Nov 5, 2010

Manatee Cannon posted:

what's the over/under on the strategist from fe7 being an actual unit in the inevitable remake

My guess is that Mark'll probably have a face portrait, and will probably have more photobombing moments but otherwise remain unchanged.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

They should've had the main character's role reflect that of the player, by having you play as Sothis.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Thinking about Robin's supernatural Tactician Senses

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Lyn will probably see way more screentime and may overtake Eliwood, considering FEHeroes

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Tae posted:

Lyn will probably see way more screentime and may overtake Eliwood, considering FEHeroes

good

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Eliwood isn't a bad character, he is just completely overshadowed by the lords surrounding him.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
It would be a cute twist to cut Hector mode and replace it with a Lyn mode with the same concept (Eliwood-centric plot, but told from Lyn's perspective). I think too many people like Hector for this to happen though.

Or since Three Houses proves Intelligent Systems loves to ask players to play the same game three times, you could keep Hector mode too.

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
Lyn's the best, scientifically

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

lyn getting more focus would be a good thing considering how much the game screws her over compared to eliwood and hector

ELIWOOD, HERE'S DURANDAL
HECTOR, HERE'S ARMADS
LYN, heres this random sword i pulled out of my rear end

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Giving her the legendary bow would make a lot of sense.