Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Hellblazer187 posted:

Ah makes sense. OK.

So, I read the factions were disbanded at the end of last year. But I started watching the 1/15 show and there was a long segment with some guys in black and gold, and then some guys in black and blue, and then later RED came in and was dicks to everyone. Also on the 1/11 show I started watching, some guys before matches would like, hold up these blue shirts with signatures on them. Is this new factions forming?

Is it OK if I come in and ask DG questions like this?

Yeah, that's what the thread is for! (Also it's usually so inactive. More posts good, :justpost: )

DG had 5 main groups: Tribe Vanguard, MaximuM, Natural Vibes, Mochizuki Dojo & R.E.D. R.E.D were the heel faction (it's been the tradition in the Dragon system going back to Toryumon that there's 1 heel group). Going on from there, last year was the 20th anniversary of the start of Toryumon Japan which is the predecessor to DG & so during the year there were various 20th anniversary matches featuring people who'd retired or left DG etc, some nice nostalgia moments. Along the way Masato Yoshino announced he wanted Ultimo Dragon, the sensei for the Toryumon veterans, to appear at Kobe World, the biggest show of the year. It happens and it was a really fun match, super emotional, Genki Horiguchi was balling his eyes out on commentary: you had Dragon Kid, Masato Yoshino & Ultimo Dragon vs Masaaki Mochizuki, Shuji Kondo & Takuya Sugawara, really nice moment on a great card. He ended up coming back and worked over 40 shows last year for them, though I'd argue that it was diminishing returns with each appearance that's not relevant to the story. At the 8th October Korakuen (earlier in the show HYO left Mochizuki Dojo to join RED) Ultimo teams with K-ness, Ryo Saito & Super Shisa against R.E.D. of Big R Shimizu, Eita, Diamante & Yasushi Kanda, Kanda being a Toryumon original. He turned at the end and clocked Eita with the red box to turn face for the first time in an eternity. So RED are mad about that, eventually you've got Kanda in all the Ultimo matches, RED are teasing new members, the Green & Red Masked Demons, & they are current members of the DG roster and keep interfering in RED matches.

It leads to the 4th December Korakuen where Eita faces Ultimo one on one, with Ultimo leaving DG if he loses. It ends up with Eita getting DQ'd (a cool spot where Yoshino runs in to try help UD with his mask, Eita pushes him & he rips the mask off, UD covers up & Yoshino throws it to Eita who is blamed by the ref for the unmasking) so Ultimo sticks around & then there's an impromptu 6 man tag with UD, Yoshino & Naruki Doi against Eita, Green Mask & Red Mask. It's short & Green Mask KO's Yoshino with a mysterious object in a bag, then unmasks himself as Kaito Ishida, who was in MaximuM with Doi & Yoshino (object is his Brave Gate title). On Final Gate on the 15th December RED lose the Twin Gate titles to YAMATO & BxB Hulk of Tribe Vanguard, but at the final Korakuen Hall show of the year BxB reveals himself to be the Red Mask Demon by attacking YAMATO in the main event match. After that RED are standing tall, YAMATO announces they need to stop looking backwards, with all due respect to Ultimo. A bunch of other DG trueborns come out to agree with him, from young guys like Dragon Dia & Strong Machine J to top of the card wrestlers KZY & Ben-K.

So you've got generational warfare between Toryumon originals & Dragongate trueborns and then menacing them both you have RED with no respect for anyone but themselves. RED is currently Eita, Big R Shimizu, BxB Hulk, Diamante, HYO, Kaito Ishida, Kazma Sakamoto & Takashi Yoshida.

Dragon Gate has Ben-K, Dragon Dia, KAI, Keisuke Okuda, Kota Minoura, Kzy, Jason Lee, Oji Shiiba, Punch Tominaga, Strong Machine J, Yosuke♥Santa Maria, Yuki Yoshioka & U-T

Toryumon has "brother" YASSHI, Don Fujii, Dragon Kid, Genki Horiguchi, Kagetora, Kenichiro Arai, K-ness, Konomama Ichikawa, Masato Yoshino, Naruki Doi, Ryo Saito, Shachihoko Boy, Susumu Yokosuka, Super Shisa & Yasushi Kanda

Masaaki Mochizuki told his Dojo boys to get involved with the DG team but he would stay neutral, & so has Gamma.

Hope that made some sense? But if not ask some more & I can try to clarify. The TL;DR is just that the old groups got replaced by generational warfare, except for RED.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

So gold is young guys, blue is the boomer crew, and RED is the bad guys. Gold and blue are both kind of good guys. Is that mostly right?

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

Is Mochizuki still the best worker in the company like he was 15 years ago? Because the few matches I've watched would indicate yes he still owns.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Hellblazer187 posted:

So gold is young guys, blue is the boomer crew, and RED is the bad guys. Gold and blue are both kind of good guys. Is that mostly right?

Yeah, in a nutshell, that's right.

I already miss Natural Vibes & Susumu's awkward dancing.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

hunnert car pileup posted:

Is Mochizuki still the best worker in the company like he was 15 years ago? Because the few matches I've watched would indicate yes he still owns.

He's at the very least in the conversation and is always worth watching. I will say that PAC, Kzy & Ben-K all had a 2019 which were above Mochi in my own opinion but Mochi also did some fun stuff outside DG, mainly in NOAH. The match with Kenoh from the N1 is really great "2 angry kick boys kick each other". He doesn't seem to be slowing down very much. I loved his tag team with Keisuke Okuda last year, & before that when he teamed regularly with Shun Skywalker, he was great in the role of veteran taking charge of this rookies who were feeling a bit lost and needing guidance.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

NOAH have been uploading some of the Jr Global League to their Youtube. Matches are highlights rather than unclipped, bit of a throwback in that regard.

From 10/1
Dick Togo vs Hao
Hajime Ohara vs Hitoshi Kumano

11/1
HAYATE vs Junta Miyawaki

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

https://twitter.com/b3rt4/status/1218181733000056837

ahhhhh goddamit Dave, you were at the show where Susumu won the AJPW Junior title and Francesco challenged for it!

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

ahhhhh goddamit Dave, you were at the show where Susumu won the AJPW Junior title and Francesco challenged for it!

Yikes. Something like this would pass with little comment 20 years ago but now it's so loving easy to check in a couple of clicks something like "is Susumu Yokosuka in the NOAH Global Jr League? And is he the NOAH Jr Champion?"

It's fine if Dave doesn't follow NOAH or All Japan, that's his prerogative. But if you can't get basic facts right then maybe consider hiring someone else to do those sections of the Newsletter so Dave can focus on talking about WWE & AEW & NJPW.

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice

forkboy84 posted:

Yikes. Something like this would pass with little comment 20 years ago but now it's so loving easy to check in a couple of clicks something like "is Susumu Yokosuka in the NOAH Global Jr League? And is he the NOAH Jr Champion?"

It's fine if Dave doesn't follow NOAH or All Japan, that's his prerogative. But if you can't get basic facts right then maybe consider hiring someone else to do those sections of the Newsletter so Dave can focus on talking about WWE & AEW & NJPW.

dave basically prints whatever people sends him for japanese wrestling outside of njpw nowadays. i've lost count on the number of dg corrections i've sent him over the years.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

NotQuiteQuentin posted:

dave basically prints whatever people sends him for japanese wrestling outside of njpw nowadays. i've lost count on the number of dg corrections i've sent him over the years.

Dave goes to Fumi on most Japanese stories but guess which major company Fumi cares the least about?

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

forkboy84 posted:

I would say it's just a dumb mistake from misreading something but he saw the title change and all. Francesco Akira is pretty memorable, there aren't many other ginger Italians doing the rounds in the Japanese scene

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

I'm not sure what the mistake here is, he's saying the junior league is likely to determine who challenges for the title after Francesco gets his title match with the new champion, Susumu. It may be confusingly phrased but that's what I got from it.

E: nevermind, just figured out the problem

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Susumu is the AJPW Junior champ. The Global Junior League is taking place in NOAH. That's the problem.

e: posted before your edit lmao

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice

MassRafTer posted:

Dave goes to Fumi on most Japanese stories but guess which major company Fumi cares the least about?

oh you've seen my tweets rampaging about this. fumi's generational perspective has him out to lunch about dg/ddt/younger promotions that aren't splinters of njpw/ajpw

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

it amuses me whenever he gets pissy about ddt and calls them a backyard fed or whatever

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Super No Vacancy posted:

it amuses me whenever he gets pissy about ddt and calls them a backyard fed or whatever

...aren't they owned a by a big company?

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Yup, the company behind AbemaTV & Cygames among other properties (plus they own a J-League 2 soccer team), they run in Sumo Hall often enough. They are one of the bigger promotions in the Tokyo area at least. But hey, they do fun non-traditional stuff like the empty Tokyo Dome match & their campsite shenanigans so none of that matters

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Pretty sure they're richer than Bushiroad yeah.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

i mean tna and roh have been or currently are owned by giant billion-dollar corporations and they've still put out shindie-level wrestling. 'backyard' is in reference to the wrestling product not their balance sheet

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

https://twitter.com/thegr8nay/status/1218149976213200896?s=19

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

18/1/2020
AJPW New Year Wars
2AW Square, Chiba
3:00AM EST, 12:00AM PST, 9:15AM GMT, 5:00PM JST

https://www.ajpw.tv
Evolution (Hikaru Sato, Suwama & Yusuke Okada) vs JIN (Jake Lee & Koji Iwamoto) & Fuminori Abe
Kento Miyahara & Rising HAYATO vs Danny Jones & Yuma Aoyagi
GAORA TV Title - Yoshitatsu vs Ricky Fuji
Dan Tamura & Naoya Nomura vs Ayato Yoshida & Tatsuya Hanami
Francisco Akira & Shuji Ishikawa vs God's Legion (Izanagi & Shigehiro Irie)
Kaji Tomato & Zeus vs Black Black Menso~re & Takao Omori
Daiki Wakamatsu vs Hokuto Omori

2AW Square is the name for the old home base of K-Dojo, Chiba Blue Field.

Obviously not the most must-see show ever but some fun matches building up to matches, like the tag matches second from top, & the Tamura/Nomura vs Yoshida/Hanami will be a preview to the following days exciting singles match. Added bonus, there's nothing else on tomorrow, Fantasticamania has the day off. There's also a AJPW show 21 hours later from Saitama but that's not live on AJPW TV so will be uploaded later. Which sucks because god I want to see Nomura vs Yoshida a lot. Also going right from a main event of YoshiKen against Aoyagi & Danny Jones right into Fantasticamania would have been a fun contrast but it's not to be.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Finished watching the 1/15 DG show. Tag title match was fun. Reading the reddit DG in 2020 primer and this thread helped me understand the story leading into the main.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

forkboy84 posted:

18/1/2020
AJPW New Year Wars
2AW Square, Chiba
3:00AM EST, 12:00AM PST, 9:15AM GMT, 5:00PM JST

https://www.ajpw.tv
Evolution (Hikaru Sato, Suwama & Yusuke Okada) vs JIN (Jake Lee & Koji Iwamoto) & Fuminori Abe
Kento Miyahara & Rising HAYATO vs Danny Jones & Yuma Aoyagi
GAORA TV Title - Yoshitatsu vs Ricky Fuji
Dan Tamura & Naoya Nomura vs Ayato Yoshida & Tatsuya Hanami
Francisco Akira & Shuji Ishikawa vs God's Legion (Izanagi & Shigehiro Irie)
Kaji Tomato & Zeus vs Black Black Menso~re & Takao Omori
Daiki Wakamatsu vs Hokuto Omori

2AW Square is the name for the old home base of K-Dojo, Chiba Blue Field.

Obviously not the most must-see show ever but some fun matches building up to matches, like the tag matches second from top, & the Tamura/Nomura vs Yoshida/Hanami will be a preview to the following days exciting singles match. Added bonus, there's nothing else on tomorrow, Fantasticamania has the day off. There's also a AJPW show 21 hours later from Saitama but that's not live on AJPW TV so will be uploaded later. Which sucks because god I want to see Nomura vs Yoshida a lot. Also going right from a main event of YoshiKen against Aoyagi & Danny Jones right into Fantasticamania would have been a fun contrast but it's not to be.

Jesus, Ricky Fuji is still around?

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

He's been doing about 70 shows a year (or at least those are the ones on Cagematch. Maybe he's doing more indy sleaze shows) for the last decade, and is basically running 2AW these days.

Wikipedia tells me he's also got a band with Great Sasuke

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

I was hoping they'd use the GAORA title to build up new talent. Lmao nope

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!

forkboy84 posted:

Wikipedia tells me he's also got a band with Great Sasuke

A band that covers Bon Jovi.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Venomous posted:

I was hoping they'd use the GAORA title to build up new talent. Lmao nope

Fun belt for old guys and weirdos makes it pretty unique in pro wrestling so I support it. The obstacle to new talent right now is making the likes of Jake and Naoya lose to Kento over and over again in the same reign and not the lack of a viable midcard title.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

AJPW's newest stable JIN (Jake Lee, Koji Iwamoto, Naoya Nomura) has had one hell of a weekend recruitment wise. They added Fuminori Abe and Ayato Yoshida to their ranks and along with Donna del Mondo in Stardom I might my two new favourite units formed this year.

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
Is there someone who puts together a reliable list of what to watch in DDT? I can't find anyone on Twitter.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Punch McLightning posted:

Is there someone who puts together a reliable list of what to watch in DDT? I can't find anyone on Twitter.
Not sure what list you're talking about but DDT is so diverse you'd have to narrow it down. What style wrestling are you looking for?

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

For anyone interested in the opinions of Japanese smarks, the Net Pro Wrestling Awards voted on by wrestling fans are being announced right now

https://twitter.com/black_eye2/status/1219221163672387585?s=19

Best Newcomer
1. Yoshiki Inamura (NOAH)
2. Karl Fredericks (NJPW)
3. Yuki Iino (DDT)
4. Strong Machine J (DG)
5. Yuya Uemura (NJPW)
6. Suzu Suzuki (Ice Ribbon)
7. Ren Narita (NJPW)
8. Mei Suruga (Gatoh Move)
9. Yuya Aoki (BJW)
10. Clark Connors (NJPW)

https://twitter.com/black_eye2/status/1219224584232169472?s=19

Best Show
1. NJPW (1.4 Tokyo Dome)
2. Muscle (2.16 Ryogoku Sumo Hall)
3. NJPW (6.5 Ryogoku Sumo Hall)
4. DDT (11.3 Ryogoku Sumo Hall)
5. NOAH (11.2 Ryogoku Sumo Hall)
6. Ice Ribbon (12.31 Korakuen Hall)
7. NNPW (10.31 Shinkiba 1st Ring)
8. NJPW/ROH (4.6 Madison Square Garden)
9. NJPW (8.12 Nippon Budokan)
10. Giant Baba Memorial Show (2.19 Ryogoku Sumo Hall)

(AEW Double or Nothing was 14th)

https://twitter.com/black_eye2/status/1219227431304749056?s=19

Best Unit
1. Violent Giants (AJPW)
2. #STRONGHEARTS (OWE)
3. Kabuki Warriors (WWE)
4. AXIZ (NOAH)
5. Birds of Prey (NJPW)
6. Team 200kg (Sendai Girls)
7. Yuji Okabayashi & Shigehiro Irie (BJW/Free)
8. Suzuki-gun (NJPW)
9. Kongoh (NOAH)
10. El Phantasmo & Taiji Ishimori (NJPW)

https://twitter.com/black_eye2/status/1219230567473926144?s=19

Best Promotion
1. NJPW
2. NOAH
3. AJPW
4. DDT
5. Ice Ribbon
6. AEW
7. TJPW
8. BJW
9. NXT
10. Dragon Gate

https://twitter.com/black_eye2/status/1219237215563214848?s=19
Match of the Year

1. Will Ospreay vs. Shingo Takagi (NJPW 6.5)
2. Minoru Suzuki vs. Jushin Thunder Liger (NJPW 10.14)
3. Daisuke Sekimoto vs. Michael Elgin (BJW 8.24)
4. Kenny Omega vs. Hiroshi Tanahashi (NJPW 1.4)
5. SANADA vs. Kazuchika Okada (NJPW 8.3)
6. DJ Nira vs. Antonio Honda (Muscle 2.16)
7. Tequila Saya vs. 38 people (Ice Ribbon 12.31)
8. Yuka Sakazaki vs. Shoko Nakajima (DDT 11.3)
9. Masahiro Takanashi vs. Isami Kodaka (BASARA 12.28)
10. Kota Ibushi vs. Jay White (NJPW 8.12)

(my personal MOTY Akito vs Asuka was 11th. Cody vs. Dustin Rhodes was 20th and Tokyo Sports Best Bout winner Kazuchika Okada vs. SANADA (10.14) finished 43rd)

https://twitter.com/black_eye2/status/1219245109700485120?s=19
2019 MVP

1. Will Ospreay (NJPW)
2. Kento Miyahara (AJPW)
3. Kazuchika Okada (NJPW)
4. Kota Ibushi (NJPW)
5. Jushin Thunder Liger (NJPW)
6. Jay White (NJPW)
7. Kaito Kiyomiya (NOAH)
8. Isami Kodaka (BASARA)
9. Shingo Takagi (NJPW)
10. Maya Yukihi (Ice Ribbon)

Ospreay got more first place votes (133) than Kento (53) and Kazu (44) and almost doubled the overall number of points that Kento had to become the first foreign recipient of the magazine's awards. The highest place American based wrestlers were Riho in 11th, Jon Moxley in 13th and Adam Cole in 20th.

GEORGE W BUSHI fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Jan 20, 2020

Ziggy Tzardust
Apr 7, 2006
Cody/Dustin being that high is a pleasant surprise. I'd have thought that Japanese viewers of AEW would be following mostly for The Elite. Having Cody and Dustin that high up just shows how incredible that match was

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!
DJ Nira and Antonio Honda got shafted

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Happy that Uemura came the highest of the JP dojo boys, but no way Suzuki-Gun should be ranked the 8th best unit.

gently caress out of here with that. Suzuki-Gun Ichiban

just rust
Oct 23, 2012

Interesting that the smark holy trinity of NJPW/NOAH/AJPW is maintained in the top 3 of the best promotion list even though DDT or DDT-adjacent events/performers/matches are more common than AJPW or NOAH on the other lists. (and Dragon Gate is at ten even though they are arguably the #2 promotion business-wise)

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice

just rust posted:

Interesting that the smark holy trinity of NJPW/NOAH/AJPW is maintained in the top 3 of the best promotion list even though DDT or DDT-adjacent events/performers/matches are more common than AJPW or NOAH on the other lists. (and Dragon Gate is at ten even though they are arguably the #2 promotion business-wise)

dg fans live in a bubble and has traditionally performed really poorly on this. i know people who were at the show that ultimo returned and they described talking to folks who went "oh so that's the guy they were talking about for months, he seems old"

Gnome Enthusiast
Jan 7, 2007

The skies are always sunny in the heart of flavor country.
Yeah I'm seeing a lot of disconnect between some of these rankings and attendance numbers but what the gently caress do I know?

I mean that, not being sarcastic.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Gnome Enthusiast posted:

Yeah I'm seeing a lot of disconnect between some of these rankings and attendance numbers but what the gently caress do I know?

I mean that, not being sarcastic.

These are voted on by Internet smarks. If you did a similar poll in the US, AEW/NXT/NJPW would dominate despite Raw/SmackDown getting better attendance numbers.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

did they edit the roh stuff out of the japanese version of the msg show or something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

either that or they liked Okada/White and Ibushi/Naito so much that they were willing to overlook the terrible bits