Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Here is video from right above it.

https://twitter.com/wendybrew5967/status/1208039729368690693?s=21

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
"Well, I'd just like to make the point that's not at all typical. Most of these ships are designed so the front doesn't ram into things. They're very safe."

"Was this one safe?"

"Well, I was thinking more about the other ones. The ones that don't ram the front into things."

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
About to set sail from New Orleans to Key West/Bahamas on Royal Caribbean. Anyone have an opinion as to the best key lime pie in KW?

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Try them all and let us know. Maybe someone will have a key lime king cake.... mmmm

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

skipdogg posted:

Try them all and let us know. Maybe someone will have a key lime king cake.... mmmm

I’m planning at least two stops. Kermit’s and another one that I don’t remember at the moment. Got to see if they beat a Publix pie, which will be pretty drat hard to do.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
I've never been but I've heard of Key Lime Pie on a stick covered in chocolate. Try to find that.

https://www.southernliving.com/travel/florida/kermits-key-lime-pie-on-a-stick

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Zero One posted:

I've never been but I've heard of Key Lime Pie on a stick covered in chocolate. Try to find that.

You read my mind. That’s what we’re going to Kermit’s for!

poolside toaster
Jul 12, 2008

Zero One posted:

This poo poo is the best. ever.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Hey, I don't think I ever noticed the cruise thread so thought I'd do a drive by.

I have done about 4 cruises in my life so not super experienced, but certainly have some. Last cruise was this past Sept we did a California cruise on Princess (Star Princess) it was OK. I've never cruised princess before and I wanted to try it. Would I again? Maybe... but probably not. It was an OK experience, but the biggest issues that drove me bonkers was that the theater was not nearly big enough to seat everyone who wanted to go to a show. Quite annoying and sort of sad seeing the olds shuffling down the hallways to the theater/venue, look around, sort of put their heads down and leave. My wife and I gave up our seats more than once and stood. Same thing with the buffet restaurant. There were times you literally couldn't get a seat. Not often, but it did happen. The variety at the buffet wasn't bad though.

Food was OK, nothing great. Drinks certainly add up and the service from staff was hit and miss. The ship itself was in mediocre repair. It suffered from water leaks in many places and elevators were *constantly* out of order. We just took the stairs but once again, the older folks (of which there were many) were waiting for several minutes for elevators at times, only to have an elevator arrive and it was already jam packed. But it did have a decent number of venues and amenities.

The up-selling was not great and annoying at times.

Now, that being said, I'll throw my experience with a cruise line that hasn't been discussed here yet (for a soon to be likely apparent reason), Regent Seven Seas Cruises.

They are classed as an all-inclusive ultra luxury line and would probably compete in class of service with a line like Silversea and probably a step up from Oceania, Azamara and Seabourne. I have sailed with them twice. Most recently, fall 2018 for a Mediterranean itinerary and I will likely be booking a transatlantic cruise this coming week for this April. These are not inexpensive cruises. Not to say regular folks don't go on them - they do (I am certainly not rich) but if you do these several times a year you are likely in a "very well off" financially category ...... or financed out the rear end. It's definitely a mixed bag of people on board but definitely skewed towards the fairly well-to-do. Typically minimal children. I think both times I sailed I saw 1 family each time with the youngest probably about 8.

The ships would be classed as medium sized ships, certainly not small, but they are high end and have a relatively low load of guests compared to the big lines. If ships this size were in service with the big lines they'd probably be carrying 2-3x the guests. They have an exceptionally high staff/passenger ratio (approx 1 staff to every 1.5 passengers). They never seem crowded. Never anything like a 2500+ ship can be.

Every single room is a suite and every single one has a full balcony Navigator has a few cabins with an ocean view. Even their "base" cabins would be the equivalent to premium suites on the big cruise lines... and Regents premium suites are pretty nice by pretty much every metric. This includes reportedly the most expensive/luxurious suite on a cruise ship @ over $100Kpp for most sailings. For that price you get a 3000+ sq/ft suite with a massive deck, spa (unlimited treatments), grand piano and, in addition to your own in suite dining room, you get a private dining room elsewhere on the ship where you can invite your friends if you want to "go out".

What makes them an all-inclusive? They include almost everything in the fare. Business class airfare. Transfers from the airport. No gratuities. Not even a "Here is a couple bucks for the good drink and keep them coming." They won't accept it and would probably be offended if you tried. Would likely be fired if they did and got caught. All the food. All the restaurants as often as you want, as long as you have a reservation for the Specialty restaurants. Room service is a very good full menu with quality foods. Entrees are made to order just like a restaurant and if you want a lobster tail and steak every day, go for it. All the alcohol including what would be classed as high end for other ships or land based resorts. Business class (IE: lay-flats) on intercontinental flights. Transfers from the airport and potentially depending on your suite, a per-departure hotel room the night before sailing. Shore excursions. As many or few as you want. Note some of these do have a premium charge, but most of the "included" ones are typically very good. Want a bottle of whiskey in your room? Maybe a bottle of champagne too? No problem. Just ask. Your steward (or butler in the appropriate class) will make sure you have it. First time I went I asked for some Canadian Whisky. I was expecting a mickey or something, they gave me a 40. Want a beautifully made espresso? Go to the coffee bar or many of the lounges and ask for one. Don't want to bother the staff for one? There are high end super-automatic espresso machines located strategically on the ship which can make you a very good espresso or even a milk based drink like a Late' or Cappuccino in about 30 seconds. The staff are always smiling and greeting you. Want your shoes shined? Leave them outside your suite when you go to bed and they'll be in a box at your door when you wake up. Always free self serve laundromat with good machines on each deck. Depending on the suite, also dry cleaning. You will not have a problem getting a seat at the theater, on any other venue for that matter. There is enough room in the theater for every single passenger to sit, plus some of the staff. Easily. You will only wait for a table to dine if there is an extraordinary rush in any of the non-specialty restaurants or the Maitre' D is tied up. And even then it would likely be literally 60 seconds. You will almost certainly still be able to get a deck lounger on the pool deck if you don't get there until 11AM. I've never not been able to secure a couple side by side. You do not need to give them your keycard for anything, because everything is included for everyone. Just tell them your room # if are doing something extra fancy with a charge. Wifi internet is included. You'll have a full size bottle of champagne waiting for you in your suite when you first embark. Good chance that $30 bottle of wine you like with dinner is included and if you want the bottle, just ask. Either way, the sommelier will choose a few bottles for the night which they will offer when you are seated at your table and your glasses will be kept filled or they'll give you a bottle if you ask. The drinks are definitely not watered down and the bartenders will do their best to make you anything.

So what isn't included? Some extra fancy excursions, like if you want a private car and driver or maybe some of the very in depth excursions. But I've never paid additional for any of my regent excursions and they were all excellent. Gratuities are still expected for the excursion operators as they are independent. Spa and salon services are extra of course. Sea-shore phone calls are extra, but some suites do include it. Very high end alcohol. Brands like Grey Goose, Titos, Patron, Crown Royal, etc, in that price range are included.

What does all this cost you? Depending on cabin, itinerary of course and where you live, plan on "roughly" $400-$1000 night for fancy cabins. That seems expensive - and it is - but depending on where the cruise going to/from, that includes all air and transfers including intercontinental Business Class factored in the price of the ticket. Want to bring the ticket price down? Turn down the airfare and they'll reduce the fare of the cruise. The Cabins are excellent and compared to other cruise lines roomy. Look at the Superior Suite on the Explorer/Splendor class. This is a solidly lower-mid class suite on the new ships. Still have a full size sofa, desk, table, shower and a bathtub with Jack & Jill vanity. Even on the older ships, the mid range cabins are very nice and roomy. Probably closer to a land based hotel room than a cruise ship.

They presently operate 4 vessels with a 5th being delivered imminently.

Seven Seas Navigator - Their oldest, smallest ship @ 490 guests/245 suites. This is the only ship in the fleet that has some cabins with only an ocean view and not a veranda. This ship has an interesting history in that the hull was originally laid as a soviet satellite tracking ship in the 80s, but when the poo poo hit the fan at the end of the USSR she was sold unfinished and converted to a luxury liner. Also featured heavily in the Pierce Brosnan, Selma Hyak and Woodie Harelson movie "After the Sunset". This ship has been refurbished within the past year.

Seven Seas Voyager - 700 guests/350 suites. Launched in 2003. I have cruised on this ship. Has been recently refurbished.

Seven Seas Mariner - 700 guests/350 suites. Launched in 2001. I have cruised on this ship as well. Mariner and Voyager are very similar in size and amenities, but I do not believe they are sister ships and were built in by different shipyards. Refurbished last year.

Seven Seas Explorer - The current flagship. 750 guests/375 suites. Launched in 2016 and is their newest ship...for another month. They labelled it as "The Worlds Most Luxurious Cruise Ship." It is the home to that massive super expensive suite mentioned earlier. I will likely be on this ship in April. I will certainly NOT be in that big suite. A search of youtube will show you countless videos and even a few documentaries about this ship.

Just over 1 month from now, Feb 21, Regent is scheduled to christen their newest vessel. Seven Seas Splendor - 750 guests/375 suites. Sister ship and 99% twin to Explorer. Since it isn't launched yet, here is a professional retouched photo of Explorer to make it look like Splendor.

Tips I might have: I think it's worth noting with these cruises, and maybe most "premium" cruises in general, I have learned DO NOT BOOK DIRECTLY WITH THE CRUISE-LINE. Why? Cruise lines build travel agent commissions into the price of the cruise and they will happily take that as extra profit. There are now several good travel agents (I can name the one I deal with but not sure if it's allowed) that will actually give you a better price than the advertised fare from the cruise line, plus actually give you cash back once you pay for your cruise and they get their commission. For a couple on a luxury line like Regent, it's entirely possible, and probably likely, you'll see a cash back from the travel agent of $1000-$2000 depending on the price of the cruise and cabin category. That's in addition to paying a lower price than the cruise line advertises.

I also like this guys Youtube channel for reviews and info.

Feel free to ask me any questions you might have about Regent if you have any.

slidebite fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Dec 12, 2020

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
Great write up, thank you!

You mentioned travel agents and that’s one of the reasons we’re on this cruise. My wife Braksgirl is a travel agent and we’re checking out various spots in Key West and the Bahamas so that we can recommend/not recommend certain things. Cococay is the big fish on this trip. We’ve never been.

Funny thing though is that on this specific cruise, we’re the rookies. I’ve taken 8 cruises (Disney, Carnival, Royal Caribbean) and she’s taken 10, and we’re meeting people who’ve taken 30-40 cruises easily. Now granted those people are retired and we’re in our early 40s but still. :)

Key West looks cloudy today so I hope it doesn’t rain. Haven’t been here since our honeymoon 19 years ago so I don’t remember a lot. Just give me some pie. :) I am looking forward to Cococay and Nassau since I’ve never been but for the first time ever, we’re not doing shore excursions. Just exploring and checking everything out at our pace.

One fun trip that I didn’t know existed until we met some people from Missouri...a cruise from San Diego to Hawaii. I’m very interested in finding out how much that costs as I’ve never been to Hawaii and that sounds pretty drat tempting.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
15-18 days, 4-5 days of open sea at both ends, starting at roughly $1500 pp before port fees. For us commoners without travel agent juice.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

15-18 days, 4-5 days of open sea at both ends, starting at roughly $1500 pp before port fees. For us commoners without travel agent juice.

That wouldn’t be too bad at all.

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
"If you have information worth hearing, then I am grateful for it. If you're gonna crack jokes, then I'm gonna pull out your ribcage and wear it as a hat."
Silly burrito! You and braks make sure to hit up Irish Kevin’s for me - or a meal at Pepe’s (on Caroline St) today.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

A Hawaii cruise would be way too many sea days for me. I've only been on the one cruise, and I guess i had a good time. Several of my complaints wouldn't even exist if I wasn't on an older Carnival boat probably. No real desire to take another cruise anytime soon though.

We have thought about getting one of the Family Suite's on the new Vista sailing out of Galveston and taking the kids on a cruise in maybe 2 years though. It's gonna be expensive, but might be fun. Maybe we'll skip WDW one year.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

skipdogg posted:

A Hawaii cruise would be way too many sea days for me.
We seriously considered a Hawaii return cruise a couple years ago - I think it was Vancouver or Seattle return with either Princess or maybe Celebrity. Mrs Slidebite thought same as you - that it was just too many sea days, especially considering its both ways. In hindsight I sort of wish we tried it but by the way the days fell on the calendar it was something like 3 weeks of Holidays which is quite a lot for a cruise you're not entirely sure about.

If we do this transatlantic one in April it will have a similar issue - a lot of sea days, definitely more than I've ever done before at a single time so we'll see how they go.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Silly Burrito posted:

Great write up, thank you!

You mentioned travel agents and that’s one of the reasons we’re on this cruise. My wife Braksgirl is a travel agent and we’re checking out various spots in Key West and the Bahamas so that we can recommend/not recommend certain things. Cococay is the big fish on this trip. We’ve never been.

Funny thing though is that on this specific cruise, we’re the rookies. I’ve taken 8 cruises (Disney, Carnival, Royal Caribbean) and she’s taken 10, and we’re meeting people who’ve taken 30-40 cruises easily. Now granted those people are retired and we’re in our early 40s but still. :)

Key West looks cloudy today so I hope it doesn’t rain. Haven’t been here since our honeymoon 19 years ago so I don’t remember a lot. Just give me some pie. :) I am looking forward to Cococay and Nassau since I’ve never been but for the first time ever, we’re not doing shore excursions. Just exploring and checking everything out at our pace.

One fun trip that I didn’t know existed until we met some people from Missouri...a cruise from San Diego to Hawaii. I’m very interested in finding out how much that costs as I’ve never been to Hawaii and that sounds pretty drat tempting.

I went to Coco Cay for the first time in October (I never went to the old version). It was pretty great. Even though there were two ships that day (us on Mariner and Grandeur) it never got too busy. I picked up a water park pass in advance for $38 and got off first thing on the morning to hit the slides. I probably didn't need to do that since there were never any lines for the slides but it was pretty at sunrise.

https://twitter.com/cchard/status/1186607600344932352?s=20

The tallest slide was amazing. It was very fast and also long. The only downside was the insane climb to the top... it was so exhausting that I only did it once.

Coco has something for everyone and I tried to do it all but you could easily spend the day just doing what you want. Waterpark/zipline/balloon for the thrill seekers. Pool for the party people. Beaches for those looking for a relaxing day.

The food was great too and all included (I think the chicken wings at one bar cost extra but that was literally the only thing).

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

Anya posted:

Silly burrito! You and braks make sure to hit up Irish Kevin’s for me - or a meal at Pepe’s (on Caroline St) today.

I wish we had seen this earlier in the day. By the time I did, we had eaten so much pie we were too full for anything else!

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Anya posted:

Dang, sorry. Saw this too late. Just got back on the boat. We ate a ton of key lime pie though. My official verdict: it’s all drat good but Kermit’s is the best of the one’s we tried because it was just a bit more tart. It’s just the plain key lime pie that we liked the best. The chocolate covered one was good but the chocolate overpowers it a slight bit. We only had a sample of their strawberry key lime pie and that was amazingly good too. We also tried blueberry key lime pie and the original Key Lime bakery original and coconut. All in all a shitload of pie. :)

Walking around Key West was nice. Saw the southernmost point of the US, saw the lighthouse, saw Hemingway’s house and his cats. I imagine if you had more than 5-6 hours you could slow down a bit but hey, you do what you can.

Zero One posted:

I went to Coco Cay for the first time in October (I never went to the old version). It was pretty great. Even though there were two ships that day (us on Mariner and Grandeur) it never got too busy. I picked up a water park pass in advance for $38 and got off first thing on the morning to hit the slides. I probably didn't need to do that since there were never any lines for the slides but it was pretty at sunrise.

https://twitter.com/cchard/status/1186607600344932352?s=20

The tallest slide was amazing. It was very fast and also long. The only downside was the insane climb to the top... it was so exhausting that I only did it once.

Coco has something for everyone and I tried to do it all but you could easily spend the day just doing what you want. Waterpark/zipline/balloon for the thrill seekers. Pool for the party people. Beaches for those looking for a relaxing day.

The food was great too and all included (I think the chicken wings at one bar cost extra but that was literally the only thing).

I debated whether or not to get the water slide tickets. Right now I’m not but if I change my mind I’ll just buy it. Thanks for the pics, it does look very fun. I’m looking forward to some beach R&R.

Silly Burrito fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Jan 20, 2020

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

skipdogg posted:

A Hawaii cruise would be way too many sea days for me.

I can see this as a legit concern. But I’m almost the opposite. I love sea days. More time to relax, read, nap, sit around the pool, etc. I know you don’t HAVE to but I almost feel obligated to stop at every port and go shopping or something along the pier even if you’ve been there a few times already or don’t need a cheap T-shirt. With a sea day, I don’t have to plan anything at all.

Now with that said I’ve only been on a seven day cruise max, so maybe my opinion would change on a 14+ day cruise. :shrug:

tinytort
Jun 10, 2013

Super healthy, super cheap
Yeah, the JoCo cruise used to be about 10 days, but Head Office cut it down to about a week because consensus was that longer than 7 or 8 days was just too much time on a boat.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

tinytort posted:

Yeah, the JoCo cruise used to be about 10 days, but Head Office cut it down to about a week because consensus was that longer than 7 or 8 days was just too much time on a boat.
Wow. I loved JoCo last year, but the crowd can be kind of... intense. When the cruise was over, I felt like it was just about the right amount of time.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

What is JoCo?

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

slidebite posted:

What is JoCo?

Nerds on a boat.

It's a lot of fun. Seven days of concerts, gaming, and panels.

Most of the folks who go are smart, accepting, awesome people. There actually aren't very many "Comic Book Guy" types, though you'll spot one occasionally. For the most part, it's just fairly normal people who like nerdy things and want to share them with others.

tinytort
Jun 10, 2013

WhiteHowler posted:

Wow. I loved JoCo last year, but the crowd can be kind of... intense. When the cruise was over, I felt like it was just about the right amount of time.

To be fair, the testing was done back before we had the whole boat to ourselves, when it was a smaller group. Also, They Might Be Giants doing a show might have contributed a bit to the intensity last year.

But you're right that it can get to be a bit much with that many people in one space. It's why there's dedicated quiet spaces, and no one judges if you just stay in your cabin.

Re: what is JoCo, "nerds on a boat" roughly covers it. It's like a convention, but you don't have to worry about finding somewhere to sleep or eat, and you're encouraged to not worry about missing out on things.
Also, taco bar and soft serve ice cream machine.

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
"If you have information worth hearing, then I am grateful for it. If you're gonna crack jokes, then I'm gonna pull out your ribcage and wear it as a hat."

Braksgirl posted:

I wish we had seen this earlier in the day. By the time I did, we had eaten so much pie we were too full for anything else!

No worries - I realized I probably should have messaged you faster. Love me some KW

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Anya posted:

No worries - I realized I probably should have messaged you faster. Love me some KW

Funny enough, we came back to Key West today because Nassau had bad weather. Didn’t get a chance to eat at the Irish Pub because it was very full and we didn’t have a lot of time. However, we did tour the Hemingway House and good Lord did Braksgirl squee over all of the cats. :)

Two more days at sea and then home. Although since we had to come back to America we all had to go through customs again. Never had that happen before on a cruise and that ate up most of the day until 2. Hopefully that speeds us up when we get back to New Orleans but I doubt it.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

Silly Burrito posted:

Funny enough, we came back to Key West today because Nassau had bad weather. Didn’t get a chance to eat at the Irish Pub because it was very full and we didn’t have a lot of time. However, we did tour the Hemingway House and good Lord did Braksgirl squee over all of the cats. :)

They have sweet chonks with too many toe beans. What was I SUPPOSED to do?

Maigius
Jun 29, 2013

Does anyone have any recommendations or experiences with a North American river cruise? My grandparents did the Danube two decades ago, and it sounded like something more local would be a good honeymoon.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I too would be curious. We briefly checked on this a few years back and I remember being surprised at how costly it was for what it was. Maybe I'm wrong though.

e: Guess Great Lake cruises are a thing?
https://www.vikingcruisescanada.com...medium=referral

slidebite fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Jan 23, 2020

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
I got no answer but in the US the rivers that spring to mind are the Ohio, Missouri, and Mississippi (don’t know about out west). None of those three strike me as particularly “scenic” and cities are spread way out. The hills between, say, Pittsburgh and Cincinnati can be pretty but there’s a lot of empty space there.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

I got no answer but in the US the rivers that spring to mind are the Ohio, Missouri, and Mississippi (don’t know about out west). None of those three strike me as particularly “scenic” and cities are spread way out. The hills between, say, Pittsburgh and Cincinnati can be pretty but there’s a lot of empty space there.

The one we looked at was the Columbia which I can only think is much more scenic than most of the eastern rivers.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

tinytort posted:

To be fair, the testing was done back before we had the whole boat to ourselves, when it was a smaller group. Also, They Might Be Giants doing a show might have contributed a bit to the intensity last year.
Oh, I'm a huge TMBG fan. And I like a ton of traditionally nerdy stuff -- I dressed up as Dr. Forrester from MST3k on Cosplay Day.

It's more the nonstop fierce enthusiasm about whatever geekery everyone's into. It's nice that the boat is such an open and accepting environment, but after a few days I started getting tired of "TRAVIS MCELROY SAID HELLO TO ME AT THE TACO BAR!" or "SOMEONE MENTIONED DR. WHO AAAAAAAAAAA!".

But it doesn't mean I don't want to go back. :)

tinytort
Jun 10, 2013

WhiteHowler posted:

It's more the nonstop fierce enthusiasm about whatever geekery everyone's into. It's nice that the boat is such an open and accepting environment, but after a few days I started getting tired of "TRAVIS MCELROY SAID HELLO TO ME AT THE TACO BAR!" or "SOMEONE MENTIONED DR. WHO AAAAAAAAAAA!".

But it doesn't mean I don't want to go back. :)
Ah, that sort of enthusiasm. Yeah, I can see how it would get exhausting after a bit, especially when you aren't used to it.

I'll look forward to seeing you on the cruise this year!

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Booked our April Transatlantic cruise as I mentioned earlier. April 2 can't get here soon enough.

I've never done a transatlantic before. Mrs Slidebite is a little concerned as she can get seasick and we have a about 6-7 sea days in total.

I don't have any motion problems personally, I find I actually sleep a bit better with the motion of the ship. Mrs. takes gravol with mixed results. Anyone have any other recommendations? Ginger doesn't work well for her either nor does the magic magnet thing. Hoping it won't be needed much but it is a real possibility.

Anya
Nov 3, 2004

Silly Burrito posted:

Two more days at sea and then home. Although since we had to come back to America we all had to go through customs again. Never had that happen before on a cruise and that ate up most of the day until 2. Hopefully that speeds us up when we get back to New Orleans but I doubt it.

Braksgirl posted:

They have sweet chonks with too many toe beans. What was I SUPPOSED to do?

I have a matching pic of the Hemingway house bed with cats - it made me chuckle. Annoying they had to have you do customs again, that sucks so much time up.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Anya posted:

I have a matching pic of the Hemingway house bed with cats - it made me chuckle. Annoying they had to have you do customs again, that sucks so much time up.

I have to admit, I was wrong. When we got back to New Orleans, as soon as they called our luggage tag number, we walked out into the line and got our luggage. Then we trekked to Customs where.......we walked straight through. :aaa: Since we had it done in Key West, we didn't have to do anything at all in New Orleans. We were in and out in 9 minutes or so. Fastest debarkation ever.

It was a pain in the butt to have it done in Key West part 2, but man did it save a huge hassle in New Orleans.

sparkmaster
Apr 1, 2010
On the inaugural Transatlantic of Norwegian Encore customs and immigration was terrible and weird. We got in to NYC harbor probably around 5PM, sailed around for PR pictures, and docked probably 7PM. They made everyone get off the ship, go through Immigration, then get back on the ship so they could officially debark the next day. Made debarkation a snal, but it wasted like 4 hours of vacation time.

There was a reason for it sure, I just don't know what that is.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Oh god, kill me now
https://www.businessinsider.com/wuahn-coronavirus-quarantined-cruise-passengers-stir-crazy-2020-2

Passengers (and presumably some crew) are quarantined to their cabins for 2 weeks on Diamond Princess. I had an interior on Star Princess a few months back and I would go insane if I were stuck in an interior cabin for that long. Can't imagine families coping with that well.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug
My wife has done a few booze cruises to the carribean with NCL but noone else in our family has. We are planning a 2021 cruise to Alaska to see the glaciers while they are still there. It is going to be my wife's parents my mom me and our (will be) 6 year old.

We talked to a travel agent and said since my wife liked NCL we would like that. Agent gave us a quote but also said it isn't her preferred line for Alaska and for families. She really thinks Disney is worth the extra price if you can afford it. Cruisecritic.com seems to agree with that when it comes to ratings.

How do y'all feel? If it isn't just boozing it up but needing to entertain family too do you think DCL is worth the difference? We can afford it, but I hadn't envisioned spending so much at first. We are paying for everyone's room so we pretty much have final say about it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

DCL is amazing for kids if you can swing the cost. Princess is the leader in Alaskan cruises, but I don't know that you can beat Disney with kids. If you can afford it and the itinerary looks good, I would 100% go for the DCL.