Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

If Valve wasn't a trash fire, we'd already have a TF3 to cover the massive streamlining + reworks the game needs

True, assuming that a Team Fortress 3 were to have a whole new cast, I figure they'd probably end up raising the amount of classes through splitting off some of the sub variants off into their own dedicated characters(like Demo-Knight or Huntsman Sniper or Gunslinger Engineer)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
tf3 would be *so* beautiful and its never gonna happen

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

drrockso20 posted:

True, assuming that a Team Fortress 3 were to have a whole new cast, I figure they'd probably end up raising the amount of classes through splitting off some of the sub variants off into their own dedicated characters(like Demo-Knight or Huntsman Sniper or Gunslinger Engineer)

i honestly dont know how id feel about that. I kinda like the subclass thing in a way. if anything i feel weapons should be more versatile in a way that you can mix and match to get creative, instead of the tried and tested combos, or stuff that is explicitly made to work with something else in a set, like air strike + parachute

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Overwatch might have the right idea with a larger number of specifically defined individual classes, if nothing else. With too many weapons and unlocks there's a point where choice paralysis gets really bad, and balance exponentially harder.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

drrockso20 posted:

I have no issues with the Conch, it basically exists to make most of Soldier's less good Rocket Launchers(basically all of them besides Stock/The Original, Direct Hit, and Liberty Launcher) actually usable*, I mean I doubt anyone would ever touch the Cow Mangler otherwise(and that comes from someone who is a huge fan of that weapon)

*except the Air Strike, that one basically requires using either a pair of boots or the Base Jumper to be even remotely practical(though it's one of those weapons that honestly needs a more or less complete rework)

Cow Mangler + conch is such a great harassment loadout on Nucleus, jump up to the roofs and live there forever tossing infinite energy blasts down below on people leaving spawn or vomit a big ol supercharge when they try to cap the point.

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006
I agree. I wouldn’t be opposed to new classes, but outside of demo knight, the subclasses still fill a similar vibe of the main class, just more offensive or brawling. I think there are some ideas from other games if they cribbed might be better as a new class (a new Mann Co. hire if you will).

My wish for TF3 would be fixing a lot of the jank still associated with the game, like melee, and removing a lot of the 1/2 ideas, reverting casual to quickplay, actually having a non 1/2 assed competitive match making, better tutorial/offline training for new players, and of course a better anti cheat. I think the core game play is still solid after over 12 years, but all the bolted on additions have made a number of issues.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Overwatch might have the right idea with a larger number of specifically defined individual classes, if nothing else. With too many weapons and unlocks there's a point where choice paralysis gets really bad, and balance exponentially harder.

I could see a hybrid route where subclasses are somewhat more codified to simplify loadouts and make identification easier. Having an entire new character seems like overkill and means you either have a bunch of nearly identical clone characters and have to learn to recognize several different looking characters as basically the same thing, or you make them all different for the sake of being different and now you have to learn a completely different character despite filling substantially the same role.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
I don't think I'd ever want the TF2 cast to change at this point, not gonna lie.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Adding a bunch of new characters to the jenga tower roster is one of the things that led to overwatch's problems at the start of this discussion. It's much easier to ban a lovely weapon than it is to ban an entire core character class.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

Reiley posted:

Adding a bunch of new characters to the jenga tower roster is one of the things that led to overwatch's problems at the start of this discussion. It's much easier to ban a lovely weapon than it is to ban an entire core character class.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!
Oh, undoubtedly. But even if you kept the classes but changed the characters behind them, I'd be sad to see the original TF2 9 go.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Keep the 9 classes, just include those neat female versions designed by lady artist who did some work for Valve.
Then we would technically have 18 characters, but it would still be the 9 core classes.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!

VideoGames posted:

Keep the 9 classes, just include those neat female versions designed by lady artist who did some work for Valve.
Then we would technically have 18 characters, but it would still be the 9 core classes.

That to me is the best case scenario. Keep the originals, make the game less of a sausage fest, and don't bog the game down in a ton of extraneous classes or alternate skins.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

VideoGames posted:

Make it 19 but the last one is just Demoman with both eyes.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

RareAcumen posted:

Make it 19 but the last one is just Demoman with both eyes.

But each eye is from one of the other two demos.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

if you're going to fix melee, let there be a sidegrade to the Ubersaw that lets me fire the needle off of it for that authentic "I hit you from across the room" experience

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!

Ariong posted:

Or two eyepatches.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Im more interested in what would happen to the setting. Tf2s Industrial X Spy Film aesthetic is so drat on the loving nose i couldnt see anything other than that.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Ariong posted:

So 20 characters then

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Oh, I misunderstood. But still yes, more demos is better.

EDIT: Wait, still confused. Do the eighteen classes not include two demos, with the 19th being a third demo?

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

You see!! It's happening again!!!

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
the snapped pupil concept art

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

https://twitter.com/pablothinghouse/status/1218685958947835909

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

On top of everything else that’s fundamentally broken and unfun with Overwatch that’s been mentioned their map design is pretty much pure garbage and while Valve has came out and said removing player agency via stuns and locks in a FPS is highly unfun Blizzard said “Nah gently caress that let’s give some form of stun or lockdown to pretty much every character”

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
TF3 is a fever dream valve are focussing on dota and vr games :(

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
pokemon trainer but you can switch between 9 fuckin characters

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
also one of the things that most depressed me about this game and ive said it before is that we never got the adult swim show and if expiration date was any indication it would have been incredible

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

VideoGames posted:

There's a guy over on Reddit doing a comic with exactly that premise, it's pretty neat(Heavy's sisters have already been recruited to be new Soldier, Heavy, and Sniper)

A Valve themed Smash clone would be amazing

ArfJason posted:

also one of the things that most depressed me about this game and ive said it before is that we never got the adult swim show and if expiration date was any indication it would have been incredible

I really don't get why Valve didn't just outsource the project instead of just immediately giving up on it

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO
Team Fortress 3*

*VR only

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

Dieting Hippo posted:

Team Fortress 3*

*VR only

gently caress me.

I hate you. (Because you are right).

Anarch
Feb 22, 2011

In the midnight hour...

drrockso20 posted:

I really don't get why Valve didn't just outsource the project instead of just immediately giving up on it

They didn't even bother to contract the work to finish out the comic arc, so it's no surprise they couldn't get a show off the ground (which would have done wonders for marketing). I assume the TF2 team was either coasting on SCM funds and stopped caring, or the team was too small to pull influence in their flat hierarchy system. Either way, huge waste of opportunity.

Dieting Hippo posted:

Team Fortress 3*

*VR only
** remake of NES Hatris but with microtransactions

Anarch fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Jan 20, 2020

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Ariong posted:

Oh, I misunderstood. But still yes, more demos is better.

EDIT: Wait, still confused. Do the eighteen classes not include two demos, with the 19th being a third demo?

I misread that as one of the demons eyes instead of demo's. So, 9 characters, double that for girl versions. And then another demo that has an eye from the demoknight so they've got two eyes, and then you make female versions of them as well and that brings it to 22 characters.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
9 female mercs, 9 male mercs, Miss Pauling, Merasmus, Monoculus, Saxton Hale and Horseless Headless Horseman. If we really need to go over the 18 base figures.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Both the male pyro and female pyro would use the same model though so that cuts out back down by one.

Galaxander
Aug 12, 2009

Baron von Eevl posted:

Both the male pyro and female pyro would use the same model though so that cuts out back down by one.

Nah though cause otherpyro will wear a bulky cloth firefighter suit instead of the bulky rubber suit.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Imoprtant: whats the genderswapped version of pybro. Been trying to think of a good pun but i cannot.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

ArfJason posted:

Imoprtant: whats the genderswapped version of pybro. Been trying to think of a good pun but i cannot.

How about Fyro?

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006

VideoGames posted:

How about Fyro?

Cryo, instead of burning your freeze. Although that’s horrible from a gameplay standpoint it would be fun to have a incomprehensible ying to the Pyros yang.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

didnt the pyro have a freeze gun in TF classic