Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy
Striving for higher occupancy rates doesn't seem to be bad on its face to me. It'd be tough to craft the appropriate tax incentives under our current economic mode but it could be done. Not for individual homes, but incentivizing apartment complexes to lower rents and fill units via tax incentives isn't totally baffling. I haven't really thought about this or imagined how landlords would take advantage of it yet so I can't layout any half-baked ideas on it, but I'd definitely consider this scheme if it come up in a vote.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Housing should be de-commodified since it's something everyone needs and it's proven that the state can build housing. The problem is that the Soviets made those huge tower-blocks and that's what people think of when they think of government housing, that or run-down Section 8 stuff, even though the government could also make row-houses, medium-density buildings, etc. and make them with good insulating materials that would block normal day-to-day sounds.

We need a city test lab, it's incredible that nobody has tried to do it at a decent scale IMO. Just private developers trying to make (the incredibly profitable) "the city of the future!" in conjunction with a bunch of know-nothings goobers in government.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

The solution to the housing crisis is not to make every homeowner into an obligatory landlord. Professional landlords are lovely enough, random idiots are basically guaranteed to rampantly violate housing rights. We want to decommodify housing, not make it a massive business center.

Also, the enforcement part of this is insane. Can you imagine the bureaucracy to organize all the information necessary to track that these rooms are actually filled, by the people listed, and that these people aren't listed in multiple places or made up or deceased? Or the constitutional violations of forcing everyone to consent to random searches of their house to check that they actually have the rooms occupied every night, and by the listed people?

edit: Oh yeah, and who is a tax really going to effect? Poor people are renting anyway, and keeping most of those rooms filled if not, and rich people can pay the luxury tax to have unoccupied rooms. So only people juuuust rich enough to own a house will actually be impacted by this theoretical tax, in a purely negative way to either their time, or finances, or both. Perfect regressive scheme.

Infinite Karma fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Jan 20, 2020

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

Doc Hawkins posted:

veritas alone owns 250 apartment buildings in san francisco. spare bedrooms are a pittance.

which is why the entire second half of my post is there

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
If you make every homeowner a landlord, you're going to see them start voting like landlords. It's bad enough when they vote like homeowners.

The two solutions to a lack of housing are having the government build homes and letting businesses build more homes. Both are good ideas and California should do both. To oppose either demonstrates a revealed preference for climate change, which is nice, I guess.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

nrook posted:

If you make every homeowner a landlord, you're going to see them start voting like landlords. It's bad enough when they vote like homeowners.

The two solutions to a lack of housing are having the government build homes and letting businesses build more homes. Both are good ideas and California should do both. To oppose either demonstrates a revealed preference for climate change, which is nice, I guess.

TBH there is going to be no political willpower to use provably effective solutions like these until the discourse begins to shift to "maybe violence is the answer." They're not gonna do poo poo until they're afraid of getting burned to a crisp in their offices. The people who are suffering aren't the folks lining pockets.

Political power grows from the barrel of a gun and all that

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
i'm not saying kill them all right now, but I am saying that they should fear that it's on the table if things don't change

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Trabisnikof posted:

Or instead we could just build more housing instead of a neoliberal tax credit for big families.

Ah yes, more neoliberal housing stock for "investors" to sit on

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
The easiest way to solve the housing crisis is a trail of tears for boomers. Kick them out to the middle of America and then sell their homes for what they originally bought it for.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Ah yes, more neoliberal housing stock for "investors" to sit on

Oh sorry to be clear, I meant publicly owned housing.

ratbert90 posted:

The easiest way to solve the housing crisis is a trail of tears for boomers. Kick them out to the middle of America and then sell their homes for what they originally bought it for.

Honestly they don't even need to go that far, just Barstow or Yreka. Let nature take its course.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

ratbert90 posted:

The ocean is right there, dude

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

and in conclusion,

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Pomp posted:

Please don't advocate for the dumping of toxic waste into sensitive marine environments.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

OMGVBFLOL posted:

jesus christ i know i'm not much at sales pitches but did you all just see red and go full berzerk at the possibility of someone paying less in taxes for forgoing a luxury you enjoy

people who rent rooms instead of leaving them vacant are adding to the housing supply. the point is to subsidize them doing that. that's it. the commissar is not going to come for you in the night because of your third bedroom with all the throw pillows

This is a totally important issue compared to dealing with the houses, apartments, and condos that are completely empty because an investor is collecting houses like pokemon.

Someone should map out all the permanently unoccupied "investments" and print thousands of copys of the map out and pass it out to homeless activists.

FRINGE fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Jan 20, 2020

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Yes lads, but what about the economy. It's more important than the lives of the poor!

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Pomp posted:

I would never pollute the ocean with white trash.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Also people should be allowed to throw out cornball ideas without getting told they're stupid. Everything good was a cornball idea once. You need other people helping you think through the implications of what you're saying/people with knowledge in lots of different areas to challenge you.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Goodpancakes posted:

Yes lads, but what about the economy. It's more important than the lives of the poor!

:hmmyes:

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

FRINGE posted:

This is a totally important issue compared to dealing with the houses, apartments, and condos that are completely empty because an investor is collecting houses like pokemon.

Someone should map out all the permanently unoccupied "investments" and print thousands of copys of the map out and pass it out to homeless activists.

he mentioned that in his original post, yes. everyone just laser-focused on the small empty bedroom tax

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

sincx fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Mar 23, 2021

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

sincx posted:

It's because how tone-deaf and ridiculous that proposal was under cut the rest of his message. The vast majority of people do not want the government to punish them for not wanting strangers in their empty rooms.

i mean, for one, if we're going off what the vast majority of people in california want, it's the status quo. we couldn't even repeal the law banning new rent control statutes. and for two, what people currently want is a terrible metric for judging ideas for progress. the vast majority of people didn't want seat belts either, for one fairly extreme example.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

OMGVBFLOL posted:

i mean, for one, if we're going off what the vast majority of people in california want, it's the status quo. we couldn't even repeal the law banning new rent control statutes. and for two, what people currently want is a terrible metric for judging ideas for progress. the vast majority of people didn't want seat belts either, for one fairly extreme example.

*what the people with no significant barriers to voting want

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

is prop 13 still in effect? we had that millionaire's tax a few years ago, which i thought repealed it? or was it just raised for that one time?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Mr Interweb posted:

is prop 13 still in effect? we had that millionaire's tax a few years ago, which i thought repealed it? or was it just raised for that one time?

Prop 13 is very much still in effect. For both business and residential property. You'll know when it's even sorta maybe close to being considered for possibly being fully repealed by the anguished sounds of thirty million california boomers (and older) screaming bloody murder about MAH PROPERTY TAXES AM TOO HIGH in discordant unison with every major business interest in the state's multimillion-dollar television campaigns about how CALIFORNIA IS DESTROYING BUSINESSES.

e. the thing about taxing unused bedrooms is immaterial because it's impossible to legislate. As previously mentioned, what constitutes "a bedroom" is, legally, just the presence of a closet, and there's no practical alternative to that that isn't similarly easy to work around. It's comparable to the various amusing ancient property tax practices such as taxing you for how many windows or doors you have; which is to say, the result would not be a huge increase in rooms for rent, it would just be the outcome of a perverse incentive to make rooms that homeowners are not currently using to house a human into whatever legally constitutes "not technically a bedroom."

Because it's so impossible to legislate or enact it's not worth discussing or arguing about. We can move on to the next idea.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Jan 21, 2020

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

lol two of the four bedrooms in my $4500/mo four-person apartment dont have closets

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
replacing all of my bedroom doors with bead curtains

one weird trick the tax man hates

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Mr Interweb posted:

Sane Californians have almost no viable path to repealing that monstrosity of an amendment. The damned thing even got upheld 8-1 by SCOTUS in 1992, with them expressly commenting on the fact that it was probably a lovely idea and was unlikely to ever have the opportunity to be repealed by any ordinary democratic process. Prop 13 will be here a loooong time.

Tacier
Jul 22, 2003

Sundae posted:

Sane Californians have almost no viable path to repealing that monstrosity of an amendment. The damned thing even got upheld 8-1 by SCOTUS in 1992, with them expressly commenting on the fact that it was probably a lovely idea and was unlikely to ever have the opportunity to be repealed by any ordinary democratic process. Prop 13 will be here a loooong time.

I think we’ve got a shot at removing the tax break for commercial properties, but yeah residential is a lost cause for now. It’s okay though. We’ll just ask our K-12 teachers to go a bit more out of pocket for classroom supplies.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Sundae posted:

Yeah it's hosed, although cities can and already do levy "parcel taxes" based on sq-ft and stuff. Some have varying levels, and it's not so much a stretch to have "north side of towns (districts 8,13,19) pay $10 and southside pay $1", and taking that further, it's easy with modern computers, GIS databases, and an internal Zillow-esque database to get very down to each individual-house granular. So you could levy varying parcel tax based on size, location, how much other similar ones have sold for, etc. i.e. you're in a multi-million 3-story craftsman fairytale house high up in the berkeley hills/piedmont/pacific heights/etc overlooking the poors and recent houses sold for $4.1 million, we consider you in parcel d369-b-3299105 subject to parcel tax of $391.39/sq ft a year. Even if the multi-million home is formally tax-assessed at $139,000 paying $139 a year in property tax.

but, you would have to actually have City councils and poo poo not packed full of aging racist nimby white boomers, and if can pull it off then also be secure from the massive obscene wealth that the rich hold getting directed towards kicking out anyone for voted for it and repealing. That's probably just only just narrowly more feasible.

Xaris fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Jan 21, 2020

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Tacier posted:

I think we’ve got a shot at removing the tax break for commercial properties, but yeah residential is a lost cause for now. It’s okay though. We’ll just ask our K-12 teachers to go a bit more out of pocket for classroom supplies.

yep vote yes on this november 3rd to tax disneyland at their fair share market rate

funding in support looks great so far; polling, not so much but it's still real early

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost
What is the vacancy rate for residential housing in the Bay Area? Is it really that high? I suspect that people in this thread are fixated on the housing vacancy rate because it promotes the kind of heroes & villains narrative towards housing that progressively-minded people love.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

silence_kit posted:

What is the vacancy rate for residential housing in the Bay Area? Is it really that high? I suspect that people in this thread are fixated on the housing vacancy rate because it promotes the kind of heroes & villains narrative towards housing that progressively-minded people love.

https://sf.curbed.com/2019/12/13/21012824/san-francisco-home-vacancies-homeless-housing-crisis

quote:

But “vacant units for rent” and “vacant units for sale” are indeed two of the ways that the U.S. Census defines a vacant home.

Other definitions include “vacant units rented or sold”—i.e., homes with legal tenants or owners that are for some reason empty anyway—and “occasional use” homes that include timeshares, many Airbnbs, or just second (or third, or more) homes that owners live in less than half the year.

Perhaps most critical of all is the broad “other vacant” category that includes some legitimately fallow units but also a dizzying variety of other uses/non-uses ranging from foreclosures to uninhabitable homes in need of repair to homes being used simply for storage.

Kapfidze based this off of 2017 census data, at the time the most recent figures available. Of the approximately 100,000 homes he identified as vacancies, roughly 28,000 were on the market.

Another 20,000 were “occasional use” homes. And more than 37,700 homes fell into the broad, opaque category of “other vacant.”

When sites like Lending Tree say “San Francisco,” they’re talking about the larger San Francisco metro area, which includes San Mateo County and all East Bay counties as well. So what about the city of San Francisco itself?

In 2018, Paige Dow, a master’s student at UC Berkeley—the school’s Terner Center For Housing Innovation singled Dow’s work out as “exceptional student work that connects to our mission and research agenda”—dissected SF-specific vacancies in a report for the San Francisco Planning Department.

Using census data from 2015, Dow noted that seasonal use and “other vacant” were the fastest growing type of home vacancy in SF, with both doubling as a percentage of overall vacancies since 2000.

Dow also says that the number of vacancies due to homes currently listed for sale or for rent is relatively low in SF—a combined total of fewer than 8,000 for that year, out of more than 30,000 empties citywide.

In 2014, SPUR studied the city’s supply of “non-primary residences.” Of the 9,000 or so “occasional use” homes in the city at the time, SPUR noted, “There has been some public discussion as to whether housing units in San Francisco are being held off the market as investment properties.”

At the time they could only find four such units out of nearly 2,000 surveyed. However, a significant number of condos—13 percent in most buildings, and up to 36 percent in those offering more services and amenities—were homes described as “pieds-à-terre” and unoccupied most of the year.

“Occasional use” homes might be a practical reality of free markets—or an indicator of decadent wealth hoarding critical resources. Homes empty from foreclosure might be necessary evils that, unfortunately, help make the American Dream possible—or a symptom of predatory lending and the ghosts of the most recent recession.

One way or the other, a lot of homes are probably going to waste. But few parties will agree on what the nature of the waste actually is.

https://www.mercurynews.com/2020/01/05/how-many-vacant-houses-are-there-really-in-the-bay-area/

quote:

“They’re allowing their homes to sit there empty in the midst of the biggest humanitarian crisis we’ve seen of this kind in the United States,” said Needa Bee, an Oakland-based advocate for homeless residents’ rights.

In Oakland, the number of vacant homes became one of the rallying cries for Moms 4 Housing, an activist group that took over an empty home in West Oakland in November. The group said there were four vacant homes for every homeless resident in the city. That would be about 16,000. The census data estimates far fewer — just under 6,000 — but still enough to house all of Oakland’s roughly 4,000 homeless residents.

Based on the new census data, San Francisco has the most vacant homes in the five-county Bay Area at 11,760. It’s followed by Oakland at 5,898 and San Jose with 3,985. After that, Berkeley has 1,738 vacant homes and Richmond has 1,560. The margin of error in most other cities is too high for the data, which is based on a five-year aggregate of numbers compiled from 2014-2018, to be reliable.

There are an additional 21,788 seasonal or occasional-use houses in the Bay Area — think weekend homes or beach cottages. Of those, 8,523 are in San Francisco, 1,337 are in San Jose and 1,060 are in Fremont. It’s not clear how the census data accounts for Airbnb properties and other similar, short-term rentals.

From the point of view of "the economy" these numbers are fine, because the "percentage is low" and this makes a "healthy sellers market" for developers to sell more investment properties. For normal people this is all bullshit.

Then theres the inheritors-cum-aspiring-landlords

quote:

Other efforts to count vacant properties in the Bay Area have had mixed results. Oakland voters last year approved a tax on vacant properties, with the proceeds funding homeless services, affordable housing and anti-dumping programs. Recently, the city halved the tax to $3,000 for most affected owners.

The goal is to go after companies “that hoard tons of property and then have it blighted throughout West Oakland, East Oakland, North Oakland,” said Bobbi Lopez, policy director to City Council President Rebecca Kaplan.

But one of the challenges is determining which properties are vacant. Officials sent notices about the tax to every property owner whose mailing address is different from his or her property’s physical address. That would include anyone who is renting out a home. City staffers are assuming owners whose properties are not vacant will let them know.

The city estimates there are 4,366 vacant parcels in Oakland — an inexact count that comes from the Alameda County Assessor’s Office and includes only parcels that are truly vacant land, not homes that are sitting empty.

In San Jose, city staff estimate there are just 518 vacant parcels, of which 230 are residential.

All that counting still leaves the question of why anyone would leave a home empty in one of the country’s hottest real estate markets, particularly when they still have to pay property taxes on it. Even experts and long-time observers have trouble answering that one.

Santa Clara County Assessor Larry Stone said he can’t remember hearing about an empty home in the county in the past decade. If there is one, he said, he’d love to buy it.

“You can rent them for $5,000 to $8,000 a month,” Stone said. “So why would anybody keep one vacant?”

Joshua Howard, executive vice president of the California Apartment Association, agrees it’s not ideal.

“Rental housing providers do not like keeping units vacant. They’re in the business of providing housing, and every month with a vacancy is a month without rental income,” he wrote in an emailed statement.

Sometimes landlords have big plans for vacant properties that take a long time to implement.

When 65-year-old Larry Glenn inherited his aunt’s home on West Oakland’s Adeline Street in 2008, the property needed a ton of work. Everything from the plumbing to the front steps was going bad, he said. Now, the house is boarded up and covered in graffiti. No one has lived there in more than a decade.

Glenn said people have been practically banging down his door to get him to sell the house, which has been in his family since the 1960s. He did put it up for sale with an asking price of $988,000 just in case someone is willing to make an enormous offer. But he doesn’t really want to sell.

Instead, he plans to build five units of housing on the lot. The city granted preliminary approval in 2017, and renewed the approval last month. Glenn still needs to apply for a building permit, but he said he has a lead on funding and hopes to break ground in February.

“It’s exciting,” Glenn said, “and it’s been a long time coming.”

Glenn said he didn’t feel a responsibility to just sell the house as soon as possible in the name of fixing the housing and homelessness crisis. “It is the city of Oakland’s issue, with the homeless and all of the stuff that you see,” Glenn said. “I have nothing to do with that.”

"Heres your one chance to be less poor" is at least an understandable thing, but doesnt make anything better. (Of course being 65 and having the resources to camp on the property while raising money to tear ito down and build a max-profit apartment lot on a single family lot implies he isnt really struggling to begin with.)

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
The source in that article states that vacancy in San Francisco is at 5.6%. Increasing the housing stock of SF by one or two percent would be great, but it wouldn't even come close to fixing the housing crisis that had led to so much suffering in the area.

Arguments about vacancy are common among anti-housing folks because if they're true, that means we can fix the housing crisis without changing neighborhoods or building new houses. These types of people tend to cloak themselves in populist rhetoric, but if you dig a little deeper you'll find the same complaints about changing the character of neighborhoods, parking, and traffic that characterize all NIMBYs.

FRINGE posted:

Removing parking requirements is a handout to real estate developers that causes the neighborhood a lot of pain. Doing it in CA where everyone has a car is a terrible idea.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Maybe it's possible that everyone here is arguing in good faith and is not actually a shadowy lobbyist employed by either Big Real Estate or Big Freeway?

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
Wait, I thought we were all getting paid by Big Subway

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

The Glumslinger posted:

Wait, I thought we were all getting paid by Big Subway

Well, it is one of the fastest-growing franchises in the world

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

I'm on retainer by the estate of Robert Nozick

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

I've laid out several alternative housing plans (dirigible based and tunnel based) but I do have to disclose that I am paid by AerosCraft and the Boring Company to spread these ideas here, specifically.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

A different take on housing crises is that there is plenty of open space and less developed cities away from the city centers... but that's because jobs still require you to commute to the city center, so you're spending hours in the car in exchange for a cheaper house.

Promoting or mandating telecommuting options for white collar work (even if maybe 25% of work still required physical presence) would let people spread out into less impacted housing spaces without destroying their quality of life and jamming every highway in California.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Shear Modulus posted:

lol two of the four bedrooms in my $4500/mo four-person apartment dont have closets

You technically live in a 2 bedroom apartment. I bet you can get your landlord in some trouble if you want.

(please keep in mind I know nothing about renting or w/e, that wasn't my area)