Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

The Question IRL posted:

But unlike in some ( like UK Mega Thread favourite Harry Potter where using magic is explicitly tied to you having the right bloodlines so it matters whom your ancestors were.) Having Force potential arises all over the Galaxy.
Weather you are born into a noble house or born into indentured servitude.

The Star Wars films focused on one particular Jedi and his kids, but they always made it clear there had been thousands of other Jedi from various other backgrounds. And the Expanded Universe focused on plenty of other characters from other backgrounds, both Force users and non Force Users.
"You can only be a jedi if you have special blood" is literally stated outright in the films. Also, the expanded universe was entirely dogshit but doesn't count anymore anyway.

The Question IRL posted:

most of Rei's plot from the 7th film got walked back
Such as? "All of the previous writing in Star Wars led me to believe that Rey's parents must be important characters that we were already familiar with" isn't actually the plot of Force Awakens :v:

Edit: a 99 is a kind of ice cream.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

The Question IRL posted:

You raise an interesting point.

The thing is in Star Wars, you dont get Force Powers by being Special. You are special because you have Force Powers.

And I know that sounds like meaningless semantics but it's not.
Using the Force is not something everyone can do. And that's a feature of genre fiction.

But unlike in some ( like UK Mega Thread favourite Harry Potter where using magic is explicitly tied to you having the right bloodlines so it matters whom your ancestors were.) Having Force potential arises all over the Galaxy.

The Star Wars films focused on one particular Jedi and his kids, but they always made it clear there had been thousands of other Jedi from various other backgrounds. And the Expanded Universe focused on plenty of other characters from other backgrounds, both Force users and non Force Users.

The big thing that I got from the new trilogy was how overjoyed my wife and daughter were at watching a film have a female Jedi in training front and centre and seeing representation done that way. Sure I could have pointed them to a bunch of old EU novels with female Jedi in them, but seeing the new films made them happy.
(Though my wife hated the Last Jedi as well. She did not like how most of Rei's plot from the 7th film got walked back.)

The message from Star Wars has always been "evil monolithic Empires have to get wrecked by diverse groups of heroes."
Not "this evil Empire and your Resistance are fundamentally the same. You should wait for the next election and fight back when you are able to rally all the people on your side who totally exist but are just in hiding."

Thing is, I'm pretty sure Rian Johnson's concept was 'the force is no longer limited to a small set of bloodlines' - whether or not JJ always intended Rey to be Palpatine's daughter (which I'd be surprised by, I think he always intended her to be *someone special* but didn't know who). I can see the shape of it, in how he treated Rey, in the big reveal that she's nobody of significance, in the little kid moving a broom with the roce at the end. Heck, I even wrote down what I think the opening might have been like, just to get it out of my head.

I've not fully articulated the whole 'the specials' concept, but if people are interested enough to hear about it I might be persuaded to revive my politics blog, in which I do theoretically evidence-based ranting about how poo poo everything is.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

thespaceinvader posted:

Thing is, I'm pretty sure Rian Johnson's concept was 'the force is no longer limited to a small set of bloodlines' - whether or not JJ always intended Rey to be Palpatine's daughter (which I'd be surprised by, I think he always intended her to be *someone special* but didn't know who). I can see the shape of it, in how he treated Rey, in the big reveal that she's nobody of significance, in the little kid moving a broom with the roce at the end. Heck, I even wrote down what I think the opening might have been like, just to get it out of my head.

I've not fully articulated the whole 'the specials' concept, but if people are interested enough to hear about it I might be persuaded to revive my politics blog, in which I do theoretically evidence-based ranting about how poo poo everything is.

Do it. We'll create a UKMT expanded universe.

Kidding aside, I find that sort of creative outlet a good thing to practice and if you think it'll be good for you to do it, you should. Even if nobody reads it!

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

thespaceinvader posted:

whether or not JJ always intended [redacted] to be [redacted]'s [redacted]
I haven't watched any of the new trilogy yet, been saving them for a rainy day, so I am unsure whether or not this is an extremely uncool thing to have told me

e: also yeh I'd read the hell out of that blog idea. It's an interesting one, because so much fiction throughout history focuses almost by necessity on the actions of a few select elites, but the whole concept of "heroes" and "villains" almost certainly has a toxic effect on people's perception of the world

Borrovan fucked around with this message at 11:02 on Jan 21, 2020

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Borrovan posted:

I haven't watched any of the new trilogy yet, been saving them for a rainy day, so I am unsure whether or not this is an extremely uncool thing to have told me

Don't worry, you aren't missing much. It starts with a pathetically cowardly soft remake of A New Hope that basically negates everything the heroes achieved in the original trilogy by having the empire just rebrand and carry on as before, then you get a movie of pointless B plots as they scramble to set up anything interesting or new for the third film, then they panic and capitulate to the uber-fans who just wanted to see their favourite action figures get mashed together in the cinematic equivalent of jingling keys at a cat.

They had no plan other than making a trilogy, because you've got to have a trilogy, and it shows. They are the Sonic 4 of movie sequels.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
star wars is so loving bad

red lightsaber man bad, blue lightsaber man good, i am a very smart boy and you should definitely spend hours dissecting the deep lore of background character 'blarba spalooga' friends, it would be an excellent use of your time

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

The only good expanded universe things were Genndy Tartakovsky's Clone Wars animated series and Knights of the Old Republic II

the rest can gently caress a duck tbh

e: they have the entire Clone Wars series on YouTube!!! that's the rest of my morning gone lmao
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wLdlwZUO5mo

Venomous fucked around with this message at 11:22 on Jan 21, 2020

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
Ok I admit I liked KOTOR

The Libearian
Nov 24, 2007
Return your books or face mauling
I've gotta say a film that's open text states that centrism is at best preserving yourself by refusing to engage and letting bad things happen to other people who dont have that option or at worst/most frequently a cover for claiming to be above it all while actively collaborating being read as pro centrist is a supremely weird interpretation

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Pilchenstein posted:

"You can only be a jedi if you have special blood" is literally stated outright in the films. Also, the expanded universe was entirely dogshit but doesn't count anymore anyway.

If you are talking about midichlorians, you don't get Force Powers because you have them in your blood. It's the other way around.
If you can use the Force real good, they show up to start feasting on your blood. You have Force Powers, so you end up attracting them.

quote:

Such as? "All of the previous writing in Star Wars led me to believe that Rey's parents must be important characters that we were already familiar with" isn't actually the plot of Force Awakens :v:

A large part of the Force Awakens is Rei having visions of her parents leaving, how she built this crappy life surviving and waiting for them to come back. And the end of the film is her coming to the realization that they won't come back to her and she has to go looking for them.
That's a lot of plot built around characters that are never seen full frame. From a film making point, you don't do something like that if you aren't intending to come back and pay that off with a reveal about her parents.

It doesn't have to necessarily be "your parents are these super important people", they can be average people if you have them show up again and impart some vital message or lesson for Rei to learn.

But to have the bad guy turn around and say "your parents were drunk losers who died. I know, I looked up the Imperial registrary of drunk losers and found them." almost comes across as bad comedy, not to mention bad story telling.

Sanitary Naptime
May 29, 2006

MIWK!

The Libearian posted:

I've gotta say a film that's open text states that centrism is at best preserving yourself by refusing to engage and letting bad things happen to other people who dont have that option or at worst/most frequently a cover for claiming to be above it all while actively collaborating being read as pro centrist is a supremely weird interpretation

The good thing about me putting my grauniad robes on for this was that I got to be supremely stupid with it and also extremely on brand at the same time.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Miftan posted:

I had a friend take a lie detector that said they were lying about not doing coke and/or heroin on the job (Airport security!). I know for a fact they didn't because they're a massive loving nerd and they still couldn't be fired without a confession they refused to give. It was all pretty funny and after being off work with pay for 3 weeks they came back and nobody mentioned it. Oh also the test was administered by the Shin Bet and apparently they don't really know how to 'interrogate' nicely and kept shouting at my friend to confess.

Wonder why being shouted at might make someone exhibit a stress response that would show up on a polygraph.

ThomasPaine posted:

star wars is so loving bad

red lightsaber man bad, blue lightsaber man good, i am a very smart boy and you should definitely spend hours dissecting the deep lore of background character 'blarba spalooga' friends, it would be an excellent use of your time

The original trilogy has some good swashbuckling in it, the prequel three have some good laser sword fights, and I haven't seen any of the others.

Also the original trilogy has some really fun to watch acting in it, which helps it a lot. And some good practical effects too. And some actually really crap special effects even in the original where they film obi wans's lightsaber head on and you can see it's just a floppy metal stick because they forgot to colour over it lol.

Also visible jump cuts for when they turn the lightsaber on in the first scene it's in :v:

I also assume lightsabers come with a dimmer switch because they can either turn on instantly or extend slowly as the plot demands.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 11:51 on Jan 21, 2020

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

negates everything the heroes achieved in the original trilogy by having the empire just rebrand and carry on as before

Feels like real life and the 2019 election!

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

OwlFancier posted:

The original trilogy has some good swashbuckling in it, the prequel three have some good laser sword fights, and I haven't seen any of the others.

Also the original trilogy has some really fun to watch acting in it, which helps it a lot. And some good practical effects too. And some actually really crap special effects even in the original where they film obi wans's lightsaber head on and you can see it's just a floppy metal stick because they forgot to colour over it lol.

Also visible jump cuts for when they turn the lightsaber on in the first scene it's in :v:

I also assume lightsabers come with a dimmer switch because they can either turn on instantly or extend slowly as the plot demands.

Oh I'm not saying they're not fun popcorn films, I just get mad at the people who think they're super deep and are somehow saying something profound.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Venomous posted:

The only good expanded universe things were Genndy Tartakovsky's Clone Wars animated series and Knights of the Old Republic II

the rest can gently caress a duck tbh

e: they have the entire Clone Wars series on YouTube!!! that's the rest of my morning gone lmao
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wLdlwZUO5mo

I will not stand for this shameful TIE Fighter erasure. Not just the best Star Wars game by a country mile, up there as one of the best games full stop IMO.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

ThomasPaine posted:

Oh I'm not saying they're not fun popcorn films, I just get mad at the people who think they're super deep and are somehow saying something profound.

I mean they probably are but it's metatextual, in the same way the marvel films are saying something deep and profound which you do not have to watch them to understand :v:

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

OwlFancier posted:

I mean they probably are but it's metatextual, in the same way the marvel films are saying something deep and profound which you do not have to watch them to understand :v:

Well in the sense that all films represent the ideology of their creation sure!

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Not just that but there's probably something very interesting you can say about the original trilogy vs prequels vs whatever they're doing now as stages of content production under capitalism.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
https://twitter.com/owenjones84/status/1219567288355115010?s=21

Phillexit?

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

always thank the rock hider

Miftan posted:

I had a friend take a lie detector that said they were lying about not doing coke and/or heroin on the job (Airport security!). I know for a fact they didn't because they're a massive loving nerd and they still couldn't be fired without a confession they refused to give. It was all pretty funny and after being off work with pay for 3 weeks they came back and nobody mentioned it. Oh also the test was administered by the Shin Bet and apparently they don't really know how to 'interrogate' nicely and kept shouting at my friend to confess.

:argh: WHO ARE YOU WORKING FOR?

:stare: Er, you.

:mad: Oh right.

:argh: WHERE'S THE SMACK?

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe

:sickos:

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Jexit surely?

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

always thank the rock hider

Jess Phillips' campaign going just like Chuka's :D

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It's quite on brand that the person to beat jess phillips should be jess phillips.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

ThomasPaine posted:

I don't think the films themselves are super deep and say something super profound (albeit, I think parts of them try to), but I think they say a lot of things about the cultures and times that produced them, and the cultures and times that made them huge successes compared to similarly middling-quality films with different aesthetics or subject matter.

I'll think about writing some stuff down more fully and sharing it.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

OwlFancier posted:

Not just that but there's probably something very interesting you can say about the original trilogy vs prequels vs whatever they're doing now as stages of content production under capitalism.

Feel the same about most movies nowadays, haven't been to a cinema since 2013. And last star wars movie I saw was revenge of the sith, I used to really like star wars on account of being a nerd. But ever since I just haven't been able to give a gently caress. Not seen any of the new disney movies yet and I don't really care to.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

God I want to watch the perverts guide to ideology again

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I've only seen the They Live bit but that's a good bit.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

It's honestly worth watching, it's zizek doing what he's really good at in a very cool way without being needlessly provocative which often puts people off his other stuff

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

The Question IRL posted:

If you are talking about midichlorians, you don't get Force Powers because you have them in your blood. It's the other way around.
If you can use the Force real good, they show up to start feasting on your blood. You have Force Powers, so you end up attracting them.
Lol, which film is that from? :v:

The Question IRL posted:

A large part of the Force Awakens is Rei having visions of her parents leaving, how she built this crappy life surviving and waiting for them to come back. And the end of the film is her coming to the realization that they won't come back to her and she has to go looking for them.
That's a lot of plot built around characters that are never seen full frame. From a film making point, you don't do something like that if you aren't intending to come back and pay that off with a reveal about her parents.

It doesn't have to necessarily be "your parents are these super important people", they can be average people if you have them show up again and impart some vital message or lesson for Rei to learn.

But to have the bad guy turn around and say "your parents were drunk losers who died. I know, I looked up the Imperial registrary of drunk losers and found them." almost comes across as bad comedy, not to mention bad story telling.
I notice you're doing that thing people mad about TLJ do, where you act like Rian Johnson broke some inviolable rules of cinematic storytelling because that sounds more objective than "I did not like the film". Also, why are you spelling Rey incorrectly?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I like the idea that slavoj zizek spends all his time watching films and posting about how they represent the failings of society.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

This roast by zizek's own son is masterful

quote:

My teenage son identifies with this undermining of my own authority. When he was 14, I was mad at him and used a vulgar expression in Slovenian: “Let the dog gently caress your mother.” He replied: “That already happened 15 years ago. That’s how I was born.”

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Pilchenstein posted:

Lol, which film is that from? :v:

it's from the backstory around ep1, they revealed it when they first used the word.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

https://twitter.com/iainjwatson/status/1219572394551058433?s=21

Am enjoying her pathetic damp squib of a campaign and how little she learned from the failure of CUKTIG

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

https://twitter.com/HUCKmagazine/status/1219307958359728128?s=20

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

This is why, if anyone insists on watching Star Wars, they should watch it in Machete Order instead of wasting two hours hearing about midichlorians and trade bullshit

II is bad, but it doesn't ruin everything like I does

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Venomous posted:

This is why, if anyone insists on watching Star Wars, they should watch it in Machete Order instead of wasting two hours hearing about midichlorians and trade bullshit

II is bad, but it doesn't ruin everything like I does

Machete Order sucks, and II is notably worse than I. If you want to skip just skip the prequel trilogy entirely.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Noxville posted:

If you want to skip just skip the prequel trilogy entirely.

I mean yeah, II and III are bad films so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

The Question IRL posted:

Having Force potential arises all over the Galaxy.

Use the Force, Duke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plank Sanction
Nov 3, 2016

Who invented the skip?

His Divine Shadow posted:

Feel the same about most movies nowadays, haven't been to a cinema since 2013. And last star wars movie I saw was revenge of the sith, I used to really like star wars on account of being a nerd. But ever since I just haven't been able to give a gently caress. Not seen any of the new disney movies yet and I don't really care to.

The new ones are far, far better. Just not some incredibly deep philosophical journey in my opinion - it's all just good vs evil. Solo and Rogue One are wild rides, just enjoy them for what they are.

Rogue One is actually the best film the series has produced in my opinion, but I don't have such a massive emotional connection to the original trilogy, which now just remind me of those terrible Family Guy fan service spoofs.

Anyway, just watch Spaceballs.