Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.
https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/dershowitz-nixon-gang-dc/

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Scooter_McCabe posted:

Of course winged baboons are just as likely to launch themselves out of my cavernous rear end in a top hat, take flight in search of a new original album by Oasis and find it.

You can just say "monkeys are going to fly out of my butt" you ivory tower elitist.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Helen Highwater posted:

Gohmert is a congressman and has no role in the Senate or its proceedings.

I was making a joke about him being (supposedly) illiterate :(

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

FizFashizzle posted:

I was making a joke about him being (supposedly) illiterate :(

:eng101: Sorry to do this again, but the Stennis Compromise, as it was colloquially known, was the idea that the Nixon people would have an "impartial third party" (namely, half-deaf Senator John Stennis) listen to the infamous White House tapes and make transcripts. Stennis would have the ability to "paraphrase" (read: whitewash) language that was embarrassing to Nixon on them. Bear this in mind: Stennis was not only old and half-deaf, he was on copious pain meds after getting mugged and shot earlier in the year. It was clear to many Americans what Nixon was doing.

In return, the White House wanted an assurance from the special prosecutor's office (at the time Archibald Cox) that he would issue no more subpoenas for tapes.

The scary thing, like I said, was that this was actually accepted by many Democrats because Stennis was such a respected elder statesman (old Mississippi racist though he was). If Cox had not told Nixon to shove it, then the Stennis Compromise might have become reality.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible
McConnell trying to railroad the impeachment trial and have it be a sham that gets over in a couple of days with no witnesses or evidence will backfire spectacularly. Acquitting Trump after a thorough trial, that holds up to public scrutiny, helps Trump - and we all know nothing in the evidence or witness testimony would change anyone's vote, or shift public opinion. Trying to cover things up makes Trump look guilty. Dragging the trial out for weeks probably hurts Democrats as the public get bored, and Trump gets to prance around saying he is busy doing the work of the people.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

No one is going to change their minds based upon how Mitch McConnell runs the show. Let me pull your attention back to this:

eke out posted:

the long-term graph of this is pretty remarkable just because of how incredibly steady it is

there's a slight uptick recently but really it's amazing there's so little variability

That’s throughout all of the House hearings and latest bombshells. There is practically no variance, and what variance there is shows Republicans becoming slightly against impeachment as the White House, GOP leadership, and Fox News screamed about how unfair it was.

Everyone already has a position based on what they think of Trump. No amount of obvious chicanery is going to sway people; they’ll just fall back to “well the original impeachment was unjust so it’s only appropriate for us to be unjust in the opposite direction”. If there are hearings, John Bolton could stand on his desk and scream about how Trump is a dirty criminal who needs to be removed from office and three days later the red voters will have figured out an excuse for why Bolton is actually a secret liberal Deep Stater.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

skeleton warrior posted:

[Everybody already has a position... nothing will sway that]

I would note: that graph I posted starts after all the initial big news broke.

As it turns out, a lot of people WERE in fact swayed and never reverted to their original opinions (which is why the lack of variance is interesting to me, you'd think they might go back and forth but instead all those people who jumped on board "remove him from office" have pretty much stayed with us) -- it's just that no amount of hearings changed it, because it all happened when the initial bombshells came out.

This is very easily visualized:

I don't think there's a good argument that nothing will change anyone's minds, just that it'll take big new revelations for minds to be changed further.

eke out fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Jan 21, 2020

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

TyrantWD posted:

McConnell trying to railroad the impeachment trial and have it be a sham that gets over in a couple of days with no witnesses or evidence will backfire spectacularly. Acquitting Trump after a thorough trial, that holds up to public scrutiny, helps Trump - and we all know nothing in the evidence or witness testimony would change anyone's vote, or shift public opinion. Trying to cover things up makes Trump look guilty. Dragging the trial out for weeks probably hurts Democrats as the public get bored, and Trump gets to prance around saying he is busy doing the work of the people.

The range where it which it could "backfire spectacularly" or "hurt democrats" is like 3 points in the polling....

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

TyrantWD posted:

I have pretty much the exact opposite analysis - Americans have been surprisingly bipartisan in viewing Trump's conduct as at least inappropriate. More reminders, consistently delivered over weeks, will just solidify the association in people's minds. The longer attention is paid to things like this, the more pressure on someone to break and reveal more incriminating information - Parnas being the current example. And it's hard to say whether Americans will care about the legitimacy of the Senate trial, but the opposite of outrage isn't support, it's indifference. I suspect that "trial" phrasing is creating expectations in the American public, and "sham trial" is going to be unpopular.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Tibalt posted:

I have pretty much the exact opposite analysis - Americans have been surprisingly bipartisan in viewing Trump's conduct as at least inappropriate. More reminders, consistently delivered over weeks, will just solidify the association in people's minds. The longer attention is paid to things like this, the more pressure on someone to break and reveal more incriminating information - Parnas being the current example. And it's hard to say whether Americans will care about the legitimacy of the Senate trial, but the opposite of outrage isn't support, it's indifference. I suspect that "trial" phrasing is creating expectations in the American public, and "sham trial" is going to be unpopular.

Jamming a sham trial through isn't going to stop someone like Parnas from testifying in the house. Transparently scuttling the trial without any evidence means any major revelations that come out after are hung around the GOP's neck.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Dapper_Swindler posted:

what the gently caress are you even talking about?

ImpAtom posted:

I feel like saying that 0.1-0.2% of people are not familiar with what is going on with Donald Trump is pretty goddamn dumb. Even if you're a Casual Political Person it's kinda hard to miss "oh hey we almost a war"

You should check the approval ratings charts: This stuff isn't moving the needle at all. And, in fact, Trump is pretty popular now compared to the beginning of his presidency.

And most Trumpists aren't going to accept the notion of "oh hey we almost had a war".

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
When does this clown circus of a Senate trial begin?

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Gatts posted:

Technically today, there are some procedural votes beginning shortly iirc.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Gatts posted:

Around 12:30 ET today.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010

mcmagic posted:

The range where it which it could "backfire spectacularly" or "hurt democrats" is like 3 points in the polling....

I think an exhaustive trial that crosses over into tedium and becomes so boring that even the media are having trouble staying engaged, that then ends in acquittal, could swing the impeachment numbers underwater and have the Democrats come out of this, weaker than they went in. A quick cover up signifies to the average independent, who isn't hooked on news, that the GOP had something to hide, and maybe the Democrats were on to something.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Lambert posted:

You should check the approval ratings charts: This stuff isn't moving the needle at all. And, in fact, Trump is pretty popular now compared to the beginning of his presidency.

And most Trumpists aren't going to accept the notion of "oh hey we almost had a war".

"pretty popular now" is a pretty curious statement to make considering he's at 42%

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
What does "compared to" mean? Can't figure thise one out.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

TyrantWD posted:

While this post would make absolutely perfect sense in a regular world, a meteor hit the Earth in November of 2016 as a direct result of the Cubs winning the World Series and we're all in hell now.

The Access Hollywood tape should have been the first indication that he's bulletproof. Sure, you can hit him but like a god drat cockroach he just won't die (figuratively. I'm not advocating violence. Hi, FBI!).

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Taerkar posted:

"pretty popular now" is a pretty curious statement to make considering he's at 42%

Yeah but he's higher now than when he won in 2016.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

eke out posted:

I would note: that graph I posted starts after all the initial big news broke.

As it turns out, a lot of people WERE in fact swayed and never reverted to their original opinions (which is why the lack of variance is interesting to me, you'd think they might go back and forth but instead all those people who jumped on board "remove him from office" have pretty much stayed with us) -- it's just that no amount of hearings changed it, because it all happened when the initial bombshells came out.

This is very easily visualized:

I don't think there's a good argument that nothing will change anyone's minds, just that it'll take big new revelations for minds to be changed further.

Agreed on that, I guess where I disagree is whether McConnell rigging the trial counts as "big new revelations". I don't think it will. And on this:

TyrantWD posted:

I think an exhaustive trial that crosses over into tedium and becomes so boring that even the media are having trouble staying engaged, that then ends in acquittal, could swing the impeachment numbers underwater and have the Democrats come out of this, weaker than they went in. A quick cover up signifies to the average independent, who isn't hooked on news, that the GOP had something to hide, and maybe the Democrats were on to something.

I don't think there are many independents or people not plugged in. Each of these polling aggregates has maybe 5% 'no opinion' and you're not going to have any non-bombshell event drive half of them to have an opinion. Unless some smoking gun pops up, neither a short and obviously rigged or a long and tedious trial are actually going to change people's opinions on whether Trump should be impeached.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

mcmagic posted:

Yeah but he's higher now than when he won in 2016.

Only hated by most instead of reviled by even more.

Also he was higher when he won. He's around 47/42 at the start of the chart.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Djarum posted:

The real question is how and when the GOP will pivot. They have to at a certain point, even with electoral math they will or likely have started to decline. Trump is the exact worst candidate to stem that decline but the perfect person to push away from and then attempt to rebrand and engage other demographics. The GOP has likely lost the Latino vote for generations, which is quite amazing since Bush Jr. did a frankly amazing job reaching out to them. By some accounts that was responsible for his re-election. I am not sure where they can go to make any inroads at.

Trump seems to think he can get the black vote which I am not sure who or what is telling them that it is even a remote possibility.

They are not going to pivot, they are going to double down on gerrymandering and voter suppression where they currently hold the power to do so, and rely on their control of the courts to stymie any legal remedy to such. This is why 2020 is so incredibly goddamn important.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

lol:

https://twitter.com/stevenportnoy/status/1219626341982769152

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

The Post spells out the latest rules proposal. #MidnightMitch is trending.

quote:

How Mitch McConnell’s proposed Senate trial will work

Jan. 21, 2020 at 7:45 a.m. CST

For every Senate impeachment trial, the senators currently serving are the ones who decide how the trial will work. There are rules from the 1980s about how to run a Senate trial, but they’re intentionally vague on some really important things, such as what kind of evidence can be shared and how long a trial should be.

So Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) introduced his proposal Monday afternoon to senators, which made its way to the press, about his optimal trial: short and quick. Democrats oppose it for a couple reasons, but with swing senators such as Mitt Romney (R-Utah) in favor of this resolution, it’s expected to pass with a majority vote and be the framework for President Trump’s impeachment trial over the next couple weeks.

Here is how the trial will work under the McConnell rules and where Democrats object to it:

After a debate on the rules Tuesday, opening arguments start Wednesday

That’s a day later than expected. It means senators will spend the expected start date of opening arguments, Tuesday, arguing and voting on the parameters of the trial — parameters that Senate Democrats did not see until Monday, either.

(By comparison, the Bill Clinton impeachment trial was seen as a good-faith effort on the part of the Senate Republican majority and Democratic minority to compromise on a fair trial.)

The setup of Trump’s trial was somewhat rushed after House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) held back the articles of impeachment for three weeks in an attempt to shape this trial, then rather abruptly released them.

During Tuesday’s vote, Senate Minority Leader Charles E. Schumer (D-N.Y.) could force the Senate to vote on whether senators want to hear from witnesses now, as opposed to later in the trial as McConnell’s resolution calls for.

McConnell is trying to avoid having to call witnesses for various reasons that largely boil down to protecting Trump. We can expect a witness vote on Tuesday to fail, even though there may be a majority of senators who support witnesses later in the trial. McConnell has kept his Senate Republicans in line to avoid having that debate at the outset.

Another contention point between Democrats and Republicans comes Tuesday as well: Senators will have to vote on whether to allow House Democrats’ evidence that they uncovered in their months-long impeachment investigation to be introduced to senators.

During the Clinton trial, each side printed out pages and pages of evidence and had it sitting on senators’ desks before the start of the trial, without depending on Senate approval of such action. It’s not likely that a majority of senators object to seeing the evidence, but Senate Democrats say the fact they have to take this extra step to vote on it is indicative of how Senate Republicans don’t want to hold a balanced trial.

Each side will have two very long days to present their cases

Arguments could start at 1 p.m. and stretch to midnight for two days straight, a setup that Democrats object to. Republicans say these rules are consistent with the Clinton impeachment trial, where each side had 24 hours to argue its case.

But what Republicans don’t say is that the Clinton trial allowed the defense and prosecution to spread those 24 hours out over several days. Forcing the arguments into a two-day window means that if House Democratic impeachment managers want to use all their time, they will be arguing well into when much of America is sleeping — and the senators themselves, forced to surrender their phones and sit in their chairs silently for the duration — will be tired.

McConnell has said he is working “in total coordination” with the White House defense team, so we can assume that Trump’s defense doesn’t have a problem with the time crunch it will be under. In a legal brief filed Monday, the defense team urged senators to “immediately” acquit Trump.

Why the rush? Well, in addition to political incentives for Republicans to end this dramatic trial for Trump, it’s running up against a number of big political moments on the 2020 calendar, including Trump’s State of the Union address.

After opening arguments, senators will have 16 hours to ask questions in writing

This is consistent with the Clinton trial, where senators asked more than 100 questions. The “in writing” part is in line with the official Senate rules for an impeachment trial, designed to prevent grandstanding by lawmakers (some of whom are running for president, while others fave competitive reelection bids in November). Chief Justice John G. Roberts Jr. will read the questions out loud, and the appropriate side, defense or prosecution, can answer them.

The vote to call witnesses comes after all this

It’s a make-or-break point for the trial. After a four-hour debate on this issue, four Republican senators will need to cross party lines and vote with Democrats to keep the trial going and call new witnesses.

If that happens, the Senate would be introducing new evidence that House Democrats could not get access to because Trump prohibited his current and former aides from cooperating with House impeachment investigators. But if the Senate approves witnesses, Trump’s defense could also call its own, and some Senate Republicans have pushed the idea of voting for witnesses to force Hunter Biden and the whistleblower to testify.

McConnell has not said this outright, but he is probably banking on Republican senators wanting to end the trial at this point and just vote on whether to acquit or convict the president on each article of impeachment. This vote could come a week or two into the trial, which will have been going on six days a week and sometimes late into the night. Senators cannot do any other legislative business during the hours the trial is going on.

Senate Democrats object to having such a vote so late in the trial for that reason. Even though this vote was also delayed during the Clinton impeachment trial, they point out that it was less consequential. Republicans controlled the impeachment process in the House and Senate, and there was a separate grand jury investigation that thoroughly interviewed key people, so there weren’t any new witnesses to uncover.

The Senate could still vote to subpoena witnesses. Romney has said he will vote in support of having former national security adviser John Bolton testify. Sen. Susan Collins (R-Maine) has been very open to having witnesses, as has Sen. Lisa Murkowski (R-Alaska). Democrats need just one more Republican senator to join them to keep the trial going.

At any point, Trump’s defense team can propose dismissing the trial entirely without a vote on whether to acquit or convict him. In the lead-up to the trial, that is something Trump was urging senators to do, but Senate Republicans have pushed back on that, arguing that a trial with a vote to acquit him after hearing evidence is better for clearing his name — and more palatable to American voters.

Closing arguments, deliberations and a vote to acquit or convict Trump

After the defense and prosecution present their cases and senators ask questions — or after witnesses testify, if the Senate approves that — both sides will present their final arguments, much like closing arguments in a trial.

All of this is being done in the open, but during the Clinton trial, the Senate voted to deliberate behind closed doors and took several days. McConnell’s resolution is less clear on how the Senate will deliberate before the final votes.

Once senators are done debating, they will hold two votes on each article of impeachment. Senators will be voting on whether to convict the president of each article. If he is convicted of even one, he would be thrown out of office. Or they can vote to acquit, which would allow him to stay in office with his name cleared.

It would take a separate, simple-majority vote to prevent him from running for office again.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Taerkar posted:

Only hated by most instead of reviled by even more.

Also he was higher when he won. He's around 47/42 at the start of the chart.

That graph started at inauguration, not the 2016 election.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010

mcmagic posted:

That graph started at inauguration, not the 2016 election.

Yeah, he was at around 38% approval when he won in November.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

TyrantWD posted:

Yea, he can easily win at 42%.

This is a good idea:
https://twitter.com/DavidJollyFL/status/1219657214383796226

mcmagic fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Jan 21, 2020

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

TyrantWD posted:

"Dems out of control, trying to make the president waste time with this circus instead of leading the nation."

It's easy to spin.

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

Could Dems/Schumer put every single trial rule to a vote individually? Make every Republican go on record as voting for these pretty flagrantly awful and biased trial rules.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

mcmagic posted:

This is a good idea:

Can you 5th in an impeachment proceeding? I mean, it's not a normal criminal trial. I know his lawyers are on record as saying him testifying on basically anything is essentially a perjury trap because the man can't help but lie about literally everything.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

It's not his approval rating that will get him reelected, it's the fact that the candidate will be Biden. Another it's my turn candidate that will lose to trump. He's sure to get in when noone knows who 'other' actually is.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

mcmagic posted:

This is a good idea:

loving finally this idea is getting traction. Don’t know why it took so long

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

TyrantWD posted:

I don't think it's valid to compare approval numbers from before he took office to number after everyone has had to live with him for years

But not Giuliani?!

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan

mcmagic posted:

https://twitter.com/costareports/status/1219399171515592705

So they will be able to claim that they had witnesses while still covering up what the witnesses testify to. NICE.
sorry, why do people think bolton, a career toady, would do anything but be a toady?

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Munkeymon posted:

But not Giuliani?!

he's not a member of the legal team representing trump in the impeachment trial

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

InsertPotPun posted:

sorry, why do people think bolton, a career toady, would do anything but be a toady?

Hope that a normal crime/war crime split will cause him to expose the former because there wasn't enough of the later.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

PIZZA.BAT posted:

loving finally this idea is getting traction. Don’t know why it took so long

IDK if "one guy posted it on Twitter" is traction....

InsertPotPun posted:

I don't think Bolton is actually a career toady. He's a fundamentalist ideologue and a true believer.

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

skeleton warrior posted:

Everyone already has a position based on what they think of Trump. No amount of obvious chicanery is going to sway people; they’ll just fall back to “well the original impeachment was unjust so it’s only appropriate for us to be unjust in the opposite direction”. If there are hearings, John Bolton could stand on his desk and scream about how Trump is a dirty criminal who needs to be removed from office and three days later the red voters will have figured out an excuse for why Bolton is actually a secret liberal Deep Stater.

Tangential thought: if somehow Bolton did testify, I would imagine that the Tucker Carlson-style anti-neocon line would become the Fox talking point of the week. I wonder if that would substantially shift the Republican electorate's opinions.

No because Fox would pivot away from that the second Bolton left the public consciousness.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Zotix posted:

It's not his approval rating that will get him reelected, it's the fact that the candidate will be Biden. Another it's my turn candidate that will lose to trump. He's sure to get in when noone knows who 'other' actually is.

I'd say that's more likely if someone like Sanders wins, they can play the socialism card out the rear end with that one. We all hate Biden but the fact is more people who dont pay attention to dead internet comedy forums vote than the ones who do, thems the breaks :shrug:

I'll vote for whoever, but Team Biden could absolutely build momentum for democrats with the 'Trump's so scared of me running he almost got impeached from digging up dirt on me, let's take him down!'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Parrotine posted:

I'd say that's more likely if someone like Sanders wins, they can play the socialism card out the rear end with that one. We all hate Biden but the fact is more people who dont pay attention to dead internet comedy forums vote than the ones who do, thems the breaks :shrug:

I'll vote for whoever, but Team Biden could absolutely build momentum for democrats with the 'Trump's so scared of me running he almost got impeached from digging up dirt on me, let's take him down!'

that and biden would probably have an easier time getting rinos and dinos. i dont care for biden(more of bernie person) but i get his appeal to various people. personally i think all of the front runners have different good paths to victory but this isnt the thread for it.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Jan 21, 2020