Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

cpranger posted:

Young Romeo and horseshoe mustaches own

:agreed:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Shinjobi posted:

It is laughable and bad to anyone who actually paid attention to the Cowboys

Garrett is an OC. Is he good? Bad? No one knew then, no one knows now. Romo would routinely pull wins out of his rear end, so there's serious questions about how effective Garrett's plans were. Being supremely generous, I would say his ceiling is "above average." As Mr. 8-8, he was never bad enough to fire immediately, but never good enough to get consistent performances out of his offense.

Garrett won games with Dak as his QB. Imagine what he can do with a real NFL quality QB like... Daniel Jones?

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Is it me or has the trend of new coaching hires picking their own GM/boss really exploded in the last few years?

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
Garrett was supposedly stripped of offensive playcalling duties years ago. Not a great trait for your future OC.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
Garrett's ceiling is being as good as Pat Shurmur

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

sean10mm posted:

Garrett was supposedly stripped of offensive playcalling duties years ago. Not a great trait for your future OC.
Obvious to everyone except dumbass Gettleman

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Is it me or has the trend of new coaching hires picking their own GM/boss really exploded in the last few years?

The explicit coach/GM was in vogue until about 2010 and it seems like the GM who works for the coach model has mostly replaced it

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

sean10mm posted:

Not only that, but at one point didn't they divide it between a Passing Game OC and a Running Game OC?

Like, how many people do you need to add to your staff to compensate for Jason Garrett?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Garrett hasn’t had play calling duties since the 2012 season. Bill Callahan called the plays in 2013 and 2014. Scott Linehan called plays in 2015-2018 and Kellen Moore called plays in 2019.

When Garrett was calling plays, a non-trivial amount of dallas’ offensive yards came from two minute drills and such where Romo called the shots on the field in a hurry up fashion.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

Mr. Nice! posted:

Garrett hasn’t had play calling duties since the 2012 season. Bill Callahan called the plays in 2013 and 2014. Scott Linehan called plays in 2015-2018 and Kellen Moore called plays in 2019.

When Garrett was calling plays, a non-trivial amount of dallas’ offensive yards came from two minute drills and such where Romo called the shots on the field in a hurry up fashion.

He also seemed to have problems getting the plays called in in time.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
DO IT GETTLEMAN!

https://twitter.com/mzenitz/status/1219768169612660736

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

The goddamn a-team of g-men

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
Giants aren't content with how much more of a laughing stock they are than the Jets apparently

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

You know your team is trash when your offseasons highlight is a positional coach that looks like a mennonite.

gently caress can he run though.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Stump Mitchell is a tier 1 name though

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

If we’re going with lovely Cleveland castoffs, let’s just go balls deep and get Hue Jackson and fully embrace the coming years of steaming, wonderful bullshit.

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.

fartknocker posted:

If we’re going with lovely Cleveland castoffs, let’s just go balls deep and get Hue Jackson and fully embrace the coming years of steaming, wonderful bullshit.

Yeah, gently caress it, let's go balls deep in poo poo. Can't get any worse, right? :suicide:

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

BlindSite posted:

Stump Mitchell is a tier 1 name though

The Browns are a tier 32 franchise.

razorscooter
Nov 5, 2008

the giants simply want to tank for a very specific player that is currently in their sophomore year of high school, advanced strategy at play

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

razorscooter posted:

the giants simply want to tank for a very specific player that is currently in their sophomore year of high school, advanced strategy at play

How long till Rivers eldest kid is eligible?

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
Oh no, a failed head coach is going to be the Giants offensive quality control coach or some other minor nonsense. Obviously this will be a major failure of epic proportions.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
they seem to be collecting failed head coaches

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
Usually guys get to be head coaches because they did pretty well at some aspect of the game.

Failing to be a head coach doesn’t automatically make them football retards.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

yeah except Garret and Kitchens very clearly are that

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

davecrazy posted:

Usually guys get to be head coaches because they did pretty well at some aspect of the game.

Failing to be a head coach doesn’t automatically make them football retards.

So is your position here that the Giants are making smart moves this off season out of curiosity?

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
Freddie had success with someone else's playbook then flopped spectacularly when left to his own devices. He did well at working the good ol boy system that is NFL position coaching.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

Freddy Kitchens as TE coach or whatever the gently caress he’ll be doing makes the team no better or worse then some 32 year coach nobody has ever heard of who’s last job was assistant o-line coach at bumfuck state.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

davecrazy posted:

Freddy Kitchens as TE coach or whatever the gently caress he’ll be doing makes the team no better or worse then some 32 year coach nobody has ever heard of who’s last job was assistant o-line coach at bumfuck state.

So guys rise to the position of head coach by being good at some other, lower ranking job, but also those lower ranking jobs don't matter and you can staff them with any idiot?

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

davecrazy posted:

Yes, and then there's Freddie Kitchens...

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

saying f Freddie Kitchens rose to HC because he was good as a position coach glosses over how hilariously incompetent the Browns' FO is and the extremely unlikely series of events that led to his hiring

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

If the Giants suck again it’s not going to be because of anything Kitchens did or didn’t do. He won’t have that kind of power in his role. If he can bring whatever competency he showed that got him to be considered a for a head coaching spot in the first place then all the better, but I still doubt it’ll make a substantial impact one way or another.

Garret you can make an argument for but I’m interested to see what he can do calling plays for this offense which has decent skill players especially that he no longer needs to worry about that whole running the entire team thing any more.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Didn't the Cowboys slowly strip him of responsibility because he proved to be such a gently caress up?

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Hunt11 posted:

Didn't the Cowboys slowly strip him of responsibility because he proved to be such a gently caress up?

yes and giants fans refuse to acknowledge that this was a real thing that happened

they are so desperately trying to spin jason garrett's worthless rear end into a positive

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

fartknocker posted:

How long till Rivers eldest kid is eligible?
Gunner Rivers is a tier-1 name for a quarterback

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Hunt11 posted:

As I posted earlier, he hasn’t called plays since 2012. When he did call plays, a non-trivial amount of Dallas’ offense was Romo running a hurry up and calling plays at the line.

Jason Garrett play calling is run on first. Short pass/run on second. Screen/draw on third and long that will only get two of the seven yards needed.

Saucer Crab
Apr 3, 2009

Shinjobi posted:

yes and giants fans refuse to acknowledge that this was a real thing that happened

they are so desperately trying to spin jason garrett's worthless rear end into a positive

As a Giants fan, Jason Garrett sucks poo poo and the Giants hiring is yet another in a long line of baffling, idiotic decisions by the Giants front office.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Chichevache posted:

The Browns are a tier 32 franchise.

all the more reason to get better where you can. like the name department

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/1220377322752303104?s=20

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

I always thought he was a good OC, enough he got HC gigs. Good pickup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008

indigi posted:

yeah except Garret and Kitchens very clearly are that

To his credit Garret was once a very well thought of OC, he famously spurned the Ravens who have a great track record with coaches at all levels. It could be he’s just unable to manage the rest of the responsibilities and he’s still good at calling plays. Wouldn’t be the first time, Norv was/is the poster child for this.

I mean I doubt it of course but if I were a Giant’s fan this is what I’d be telling myself.