Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Big Huski Boi posted:

Was he, though?

Count the rings

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Freddy Adu is still only "30" and has played for 14 clubs in nine countries in his career.

Topical to this thread, he's currently a free agent.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Bet he could do a job for Newcastle

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

Shrapnig posted:

Freddy Adu is still only "30" and has played for 14 clubs in nine countries in his career.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

Shrapnig posted:

I used to check in on Freddy’s career, but it’s been a while. And omg the guy hasn’t played since 2018 after being released by a USL team. It’s really kind of amazing.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

Bet he could do a job for Newcastle

You say this after the last player Newcastle signed from MLS, who was actually one of the best players in the league, did gently caress all for a full calendar year.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Maybe it's just me but if I were a 16-year-old footballer and I wanted to reach my maximum potential I wouldn't sign for today's Manchester United.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

vyelkin posted:

Maybe it's just me but if I were a 16-year-old footballer and I wanted to reach my maximum potential I wouldn't sign for today's Manchester United.

Hello 16 year old footballer, how would you like to earn £30k a week? He's probably on £1k a week or so now at Birmingham, maybe less.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

blue footed boobie posted:

I used to check in on Freddy's career, but it's been a while. And omg the guy hasn't played since 2018 after being released by a USL team. It's really kind of amazing.

He couldn't cut it in the Finnish fourth division, no joke.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Shrapnig posted:

Hello 16 year old footballer, how would you like to earn £30k a week? He's probably on £1k a week or so now at Birmingham, maybe less.

If he's actually that good, he could probably earn 30k/week at a different club.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

I mean it's an extremely difficult situation. If they rate him very highly, it makes more sense to get him now for £30m than trying to get him for £70m in a year or two after he's established himself more. £30m for a 16 year old who has only played a handful of games seems extremely high, though.

At the same time, he probably won't be ready for the first team for a couple of years at the least and the £30m could be used to make today's squad a lot better.

E: plus of course the idea that United are haggling for a player who would improve the squad right now, versus just plunking down a fortune for a 16 year old seems a bit ... strange.

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Jan 22, 2020

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Der Shovel posted:

I mean it's an extremely difficult situation. If they rate him very highly, it makes more sense to get him now for £30m than trying to get him for £70m in a year or two after he's established himself more. £30m for a 16 year old who has only played a handful of games seems extremely high, though.

At the same time, he probably won't be ready for the first team for a couple of years at the least and the £30m could be used to make today's squad a lot better.

It’s actually very common I hear

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Shrapnig posted:

Last I heard he was still a scholar so not on a professional contract at all.

He had an early growth spurt, the best 16 year olds aren't always going to be the best in their age group. Other kids catch up, that's just basic biology. But since he's already capable of playing at Championship level it's a fair bet he'll be PL-quality one day, injuries permitting.

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747
Freddy Adu dated Jojo. They were America’s Posh & Becks.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Shrapnig posted:

You say this after the last player Newcastle signed from MLS, who was actually one of the best players in the league, did gently caress all for a full calendar year.

Post this on the NUFC reddit and watch them lose their minds, “Miggy” can do no wrong there

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Post this on the NUFC reddit and watch them lose their minds, “Miggy” can do no wrong there

How does he rate on that one dude's insane player rating scale?

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Big Huski Boi posted:

How does he rate on that one dude's insane player rating scale?

Almiron: 5.5 Like Schar, Almiron looked tired. He still put in a shift, but looked off pace. Without his speed and energy he does not offer much, specifically seen with his decreased involvement in the 2nd half. (2)

Almiron: 5.5 My man couldn’t stay onside. He’s loved because of his energy and effort he puts forth every game. Still running full pace down the side in the 94th minute, but he’s got to work on his decision making. Some poor passing, overextended dribbling and a little too much hope for fouls will start to create some major fan unrest. (2)

Almiron: 6.5 Poor first half, he lost the ball every time he touched it and calls were not going his way. In the 2nd he was the best player on the pitch. He covered for Krafth, held up play, connected a few times with Joelinton, and had a good chance at goal. (6)

Almiron: 4.5 (-1) Double teamed when in possession and had to drop back deep to cover and get involved. Couldn’t connect his passes or dribble with pace when there’s a lack of positive support.

Almiron B- (2). Heavily involved and great energy, he did lose the ball a couple of times. There was confusion on his position as well as where his teammates should be. Picking up the yellow in the first half probably didn’t help much either.

**Explanation of rating system**

I determine my ratings using a plus/minus system grading each significant positive or negative action of a player around the ball. The points can range from -5 for an atrocious own goal to +5 for an unstoppable goal. Generally, the majority of actions are between -1 and 1 point.

Since my ratings are involved around the ball, ratings are sometimes harsher for goal keepers and subs.

The reason I use this system is to get a better understanding of an individual player’s overall benefit to the game. By only rating significant actions, I come up with a score that represents the players true net contribution to the match.

Scale:

-5 F 1
-4 D 2
-3 D 3
-2 C 4
-1 C 4.5
0 C+ 5
1 B- 5.5
2 B- 5.5
3 B 6
4 B 6
5 B+ 6.5
6 B+ 6.5
7 A- 7
8 A- 7.5
9 A 8
10 A 8.5
11 A 9
12+ A+ 10

Io_
Oct 15, 2012

woo woo

Pillbug
The last expensive megahyped 16 year old was Martin Odegaard who is now 21 and playing for Real Sociedad after three years in the Eredivisie.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Almiron: 5.5 Like Schar, Almiron looked tired. He still put in a shift, but looked off pace. Without his speed and energy he does not offer much, specifically seen with his decreased involvement in the 2nd half. (2)

Almiron: 5.5 My man couldn’t stay onside. He’s loved because of his energy and effort he puts forth every game. Still running full pace down the side in the 94th minute, but he’s got to work on his decision making. Some poor passing, overextended dribbling and a little too much hope for fouls will start to create some major fan unrest. (2)

Almiron: 6.5 Poor first half, he lost the ball every time he touched it and calls were not going his way. In the 2nd he was the best player on the pitch. He covered for Krafth, held up play, connected a few times with Joelinton, and had a good chance at goal. (6)

Almiron: 4.5 (-1) Double teamed when in possession and had to drop back deep to cover and get involved. Couldn’t connect his passes or dribble with pace when there’s a lack of positive support.

Almiron B- (2). Heavily involved and great energy, he did lose the ball a couple of times. There was confusion on his position as well as where his teammates should be. Picking up the yellow in the first half probably didn’t help much either.

I determine my ratings using a plus/minus system grading each significant positive or negative action of a player around the ball. The points can range from -5 for an atrocious own goal to +5 for an unstoppable goal. Generally, the majority of actions are between -1 and 1 point.

Since my ratings are involved around the ball, ratings are sometimes harsher for goal keepers and subs.

The reason I use this system is to get a better understanding of an individual player’s overall benefit to the game. By only rating significant actions, I come up with a score that represents the players true net contribution to the match.

Scale:

-5 F 1
-4 D 2
-3 D 3
-2 C 4
-1 C 4.5
0 C+ 5
1 B- 5.5
2 B- 5.5
3 B 6
4 B 6
5 B+ 6.5
6 B+ 6.5
7 A- 7
8 A- 7.5
9 A 8
10 A 8.5
11 A 9
12+ A+ 10

This dude is without a doubt American.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Io_ posted:

The last expensive megahyped 16 year old was Martin Odegaard who is now 21 and playing for Real Sociedad after three years in the Eredivisie.

He's actually pretty good in La Liga. Maybe not Real Madrid good but he's a good professional footballer.

Let's be honest, Manchester United in 2020 are much closer to Real Sociedad than they are to Real Madrid.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
I've seen a few articles over the past six months saying how Odegaard has basically reconstituted himself as a potentially great footballer, given that he's still only 21. Moving to Madrid clearly hosed him up a bit, but any 16-18 prospect is going to have plateaus, and he seems to have come out of his.

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners
he's still under contract to Madrid, just on a 2 year loan to Sociedad. he won a La Liga player of the month award, and Madrid still sees him as the eventual replacement for Modric

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

So now we've backtracked from "it's definitely on" to "maybe it'll be on?" to "ask me again next summer?"

https://twitter.com/utdreport/status/1220023308982325249

Simon Stone of the BBC reckons it ain't happening

https://twitter.com/sistoney67/status/1220024978877427714

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Jan 22, 2020

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Scale:

-5 F 1
-4 D 2
-3 D 3
-2 C 4
-1 C 4.5
0 C+ 5
1 B- 5.5
2 B- 5.5
3 B 6
4 B 6
5 B+ 6.5
6 B+ 6.5
7 A- 7
8 A- 7.5
9 A 8
10 A 8.5
11 A 9
12+ A+ 10

Nothing in this world more reliably makes me giggle

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire
Inter are trying to sign that Chong lad from United, using the money from selling Lazaro, Gabigol and Politano. Gabigol is definitely staying at Flamengo, the other two are less certain to leave. We’ll see.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Gigi Galli posted:

Inter are trying to sign that Chong lad from United, using the money from selling Lazaro, Gabigol and Politano. Gabigol is definitely staying at Flamengo, the other two are less certain to leave. We’ll see.

I've seen precisely nothing from Chong in his first-team appearances that makes me think he'll ever be any good.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

the hell is going on between Inter and United?

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Sandwolf posted:

the hell is going on between Inter and United?

one is a feeder club for the other

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

Conte's grand plan to bring the prem to him for some reason

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Gabigol? Over here!

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

sebzilla posted:

I've seen precisely nothing from Chong in his first-team appearances that makes me think he'll ever be any good.

I totally agree, he's been useless every time I've seen him, regardless of the opposition.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

sebzilla posted:

He was extremely good in the U23s and other junior teams, but doesn't have the physique to be that effective in the Premier League yet. He could do well at Inter I reckon, at least in a year or two.

E:

rip

https://twitter.com/utdreport/status/1220031578614784000

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
Spurs looking to sign a Willian.

https://twitter.com/ZachLowy/status/1220027779317714947

https://twitter.com/HotspurRelated/status/1220039863183007744

https://www.football.london/tottenham-hotspur-fc/transfer-news/tottenham-willian-jose-transfer-striker-17614700

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

e: ^^ lol imagine Jose getting more loving blood out of the Levy stone than Ed's wood

Chong is only just starting to fill out, I'd rather it was a loan to Inter :sigh:

Also I am extremely owned on the fee United want to pay, but clubs do loan back players often to get deals done earlier. Liverpool did it with Keita for example.

Is £30m ridiculous today for young British talent post Brexit? The lad's scoring goals in the championship at 16.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
spurs do need another striker tbf with kane out for the season

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Jose posted:

Joelinton, £40m, sorted

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Jose posted:

I reckon this Vincent Janssen lad could do a job

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
Where are all th Arsenal transfer rumors, when will the replacements for Mustafi and Luiz be announced?

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM

Bet Levy still has some Willian Spurs shirts leftover that he's hoping to offload

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

Big Huski Boi posted:

He couldn't cut it in the Finnish fourth division, no joke.

Does anyone have Suqit’s triangles post handy?