Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy

IOwnCalculus posted:

Now I want a Reuben pasty, dammit.

THAT'S WHAT I HAD

It was delicious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

Have you ever had...a Reuben pizza? If done right, it's delicious.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Queen Combat posted:

THAT'S WHAT I HAD

It was delicious.

Right?

The Cubano is also really loving good.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

I keep forgetting that I want one of my next kitchen projects to be cubanos, homemade bread and all.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
So, old boss was pretty much pushed aside early. In his place they have moved my original boss back over to my department and I am loving ecstatic. Things got a little harry over the last year and I was pondering bidding out but now I'm fully back on board. Things are looking to get really great at work again.

And I get to make another thing that might go into space in 2024!

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

T-Square posted:

I keep forgetting that I want one of my next kitchen projects to be cubanos, homemade bread and all.

The Cuban bread is the hardest part to get right....There's one bakery in Tampa that every good Cuban sandwich place gets their bread from and it's amazing. It has to press well and get that thick crunchy crust. Without the right bread a Cuban is just meh.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?

Rhyno posted:

It's probably real and also probably breaks a law or two.

Pretty sure that doesn’t break a law. Its an extension of a corporate dress code. The person may be responsible for transporting clients or in a customer facing position as a representative of the company. Your choice in vehicle is visible. In this case most companies provide a suitable company car, but in this example they are not.

The fact the VP of HR signed off on it means its probably an OK request, its HRs job to investigate the legality of these types of requests and any subsequent disciplinary actions. HR is there to protect the company, not you.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

rdb posted:

Pretty sure that doesn’t break a law. Its an extension of a corporate dress code. The person may be responsible for transporting clients or in a customer facing position as a representative of the company. Your choice in vehicle is visible. In this case most companies provide a suitable company car, but in this example they are not.

The fact the VP of HR signed off on it means its probably an OK request, its HRs job to investigate the legality of these types of requests and any subsequent disciplinary actions. HR is there to protect the company, not you.

Bullshit.

Unless they're paying for your car, they have zero reason to exercise control, any more than they can exercise control of your dress or grooming when you're off the clock. The best they can do is tell you that they will not allow your vehicle onto company property.

Mind you, this is the US, so firing someone for any reason is fine so long as you don't specify a discriminatory reason, but I'm 100% certain that that letter would get an unemployment compensation claim approved.

Grakkus
Sep 4, 2011

Oh God I suspected I might have a problem before, but now I know for sure..

It's a 16v, pretty ropey, paint is crap, something isn't right with the engine management, and maintenance is a total question mark, no idea when the oil was last changed let alone the timing belt. But it's rust free and has a/c! Just got to drive it 1300km back home :v:

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

I'm not sure that "not having a(n adequate) car" or, more directly, "being poor" is a legally protected status, but assuming that HR or a VP knows what the eff they're doing is questionable. I do certainly agree that they only exist for the company's good, not the employee's, however. I suspect LC is right - they can certainly tell you not to park on campus, but they probably can't really tell you what to drive. They could definitely fire you for "unrelated reasons" if you don't comply with what they do say, of course.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
Generally you can assume anything not over the letterhead of the business' lawyer is at most 'best practices' in HR's book, and will only hold up legally to the extent that the company can afford to sit in court longer than a now-unemployed you.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Yeah, there's always the whole employment at will thing. I'm not sure driving a tan 1995 Camry is a protected class either :v:
Although I'm sure if that's real, that company could have a poo poo-storm on their hands real quick.

Applebees Appetizer posted:

The Cuban bread is the hardest part to get right....There's one bakery in Tampa that every good Cuban sandwich place gets their bread from and it's amazing. It has to press well and get that thick crunchy crust. Without the right bread a Cuban is just meh.

Yeah this is something I've learned over the last couple years. I've never had a good Cuban, but in my mind I have a pretty good idea what it should taste like, and I want that in my mouth. I think I'd be better off attempting the bread on my own, because I highly doubt there's any bakeries around here that do good Cuban bread.

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

This image is foreshadowing your purchase of louvers for it.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Krakkles posted:

I'm not sure that "not having a(n adequate) car" or, more directly, "being poor" is a legally protected status, but assuming that HR or a VP knows what the eff they're doing is questionable. I do certainly agree that they only exist for the company's good, not the employee's, however. I suspect LC is right - they can certainly tell you not to park on campus, but they probably can't really tell you what to drive. They could definitely fire you for "unrelated reasons" if you don't comply with what they do say, of course.

Purely fwiw, I think they can probably tell you what to drive. You can also post that on social media and if they fire you for not driving a proper car you should be entitled to unemployment as this isn't a violation of some company policy like absenteeism or similar. You still get unemployment if, for example, you're fired for being unqualified.

To be clear, that company is terrible and those VPs should feel bad about sending that letter. But I don't think they're terrible in an actionable way.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Grakkus posted:

It's a 16v, pretty ropey, paint is crap, something isn't right with the engine management, and maintenance is a total question mark, no idea when the oil was last changed let alone the timing belt. But it's rust free and has a/c! Just got to drive it 1300km back home :v:

If you want to solve this problem get in touch, I can reduce the number of English-registered BX's causing you issues...

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Grakkus posted:

That looks amazing

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Rhyno posted:

It's okay, we all know I'm not cool.

You don't have to be cool, just not terrible. I think you're managing it (says the random internet rear end in a top hat).

quote:

But today I made some material that's going into space so that is loving cool.

Yeah it is.

builds character posted:

Purely fwiw, I think they can probably tell you what to drive. You can also post that on social media and if they fire you for not driving a proper car you should be entitled to unemployment as this isn't a violation of some company policy like absenteeism or similar. You still get unemployment if, for example, you're fired for being unqualified.

To be clear, that company is terrible and those VPs should feel bad about sending that letter. But I don't think they're terrible in an actionable way.

They're definitely stretching the "reflects on the company" thing a bit, there. My previous company had a morality policy by which they could fire you for, say, getting arrested for soliciting or public indecency or something, but I've never seen something this inane. I would definitely be issuing a heraty :fuckoff: to them.

edit: I mean, seriously. "We know what you make, so you can afford a better car" is the most assumptive bullshit ever. they have no idea what kind of house he has, or other property. Maybe he's chosen to dump as much $$ as possible into retirement, or supporting his frail, widowed mother, or paying off ruinous student debt, or any number of things that are none of their goddamned business. Dammit, this is just making me mad, now.

Darchangel fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Jan 22, 2020

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Darchangel posted:

You don't have to be cool, just not terrible. I think you're managing it (says the random internet rear end in a top hat).

Yeah it is.

I'm doing my best.

I'd posted about space metal before but I didn't get to join that team and I was bummed. But I got re-invited to take the production test and I hit all the marks so they brought me on board a few weeks ago. Yesterday I did my final production and I had my letter from the "space team" that my material met all standards and tolerances so it will very likely be used in the project. So it's very possible something I made will be in space.

Life is neat.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

Every single one of us would take it as a challenge to drive an even "worse", in their eyes, shitbox.

It's basically a countdown to maximum rat rod.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

The wording on that letter is strange. They could have simply said the vehicle you're driving isn't acceptable but instead tied it into questionable financial practices. Either way it's BS but that just felt odd to me.

Speaking of ratty daily drivers I forgot the VW had a suspect headgasket before all this hospital crap began. I replaced the overflow tank a few days before it all started and was going to see if the coolant level dropped again....it did. Trying to find a friend to come crawl around under the car and make sure it isn't just a leaky hose. Smelled a little coolant on startup following a short (~10 min) stop today. It never leaves puddles so I can't trace it that way. I don't have the tools or energy to do the headgasket and would want the timing belt and water pump replaced at the same time, labor at a regular shop would be more than the car is worth. Need to see if a friend is interested and what he would charge, otherwise it may be time to let the VW go.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

Rhyno posted:

I'm doing my best.

I'd posted about space metal before but I didn't get to join that team and I was bummed. But I got re-invited to take the production test and I hit all the marks so they brought me on board a few weeks ago. Yesterday I did my final production and I had my letter from the "space team" that my material met all standards and tolerances so it will very likely be used in the project. So it's very possible something I made will be in space.

Life is neat.

Yeah, that is loving awesome in the literal meaning of the word. Imagine being able to tell your ten year old self that you make parts that go into space!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

McTinkerson posted:

Yeah, that is loving awesome in the literal meaning of the word. Imagine being able to tell your ten year old self that you make parts that go into space!

I'm being pretty careful about how I phrase it. I'm making the stuff that the part is going to be made out of! You wouldn't believe (and I can't say) what we have to do to meet the specs. Hell I don't even understand most of the engineering. I just have steady hands and I know how to work the material.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Rhyno posted:

I'm being pretty careful about how I phrase it. I'm making the stuff that the part is going to be made out of! You wouldn't believe (and I can't say) what we have to do to meet the specs. Hell I don't even understand most of the engineering. I just have steady hands and I know how to work the material.
Dude, that's still making poo poo that goes into space, and "I just have steady hands and I know how to work the material" is significant skills. Don't undervalue yourself.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

Olympic Mathlete posted:

/pointless fact time

Cornwall is super protective over Cornish Pasties to the point where they were discussed in the European courts who wound up giving them protected status. They have to be made in Cornwall to be Cornish pasties (though they don't have to be cooked there). Anything else is just a pasty... I learned this one morning whilst sat in the work van listening to the radio. :v:

Congrats on becoming an RN!

Fun additional fact, soccer's popularity in Mexico and North America can be directly attributed to the Cornish Pasty, which was also an export English miners brought to the new world with them to tremendous success.

https://theculturetrip.com/north-am...-british-pasty/

The Cornish Pasty Museum in Mexico posted:

The experienced miners were hired to revive the Mexican silver mining industry, after many mines were flooded or damaged during the Mexican War of Independence. The Cornish brought many different things to Mexico, including Methodism and wrestling.

Soccer is without doubt their most enduring legacy. Pachuca is still regarded as a major soccer hub, with the oldest club in the country.

redgubbinz posted:

Have you ever had...a Reuben pizza? If done right, it's delicious.

There's a chain in the midwest called Happy Joe's that does a canadian bacon & sauerkraut pizza that is simply outstanding and something I eat every chance I get.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Rhyno posted:

I'm doing my best.

Life is neat.

You have no idea how impressed jealous and happy for you this makes me.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Krakkles posted:

Dude, that's still making poo poo that goes into space, and "I just have steady hands and I know how to work the material" is significant skills. Don't undervalue yourself.

Thanks man. I just don't want to make it seem like I'm taking too much credit.

cakesmith handyman posted:

You have no idea how impressed jealous and happy for you this makes me.

Thanks dude.

Really I never knew how satisfying doing an actual, useful job could be. I was a little sad that it was a temp assignment but with my old boss coming back I'm pretty happy to be back in the normal work routine.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

T-Square posted:

Start saving and filtering bacon grease now.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
I'm sure your ancestors would condemn you but you could also make a mean chickencheese with that bread.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Good god man. I ate less than 2 hours ago and this post has my mouth watering.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?

Liquid Communism posted:

Bullshit.

Unless they're paying for your car, they have zero reason to exercise control, any more than they can exercise control of your dress or grooming when you're off the clock. The best they can do is tell you that they will not allow your vehicle onto company property.

Mind you, this is the US, so firing someone for any reason is fine so long as you don't specify a discriminatory reason, but I'm 100% certain that that letter would get an unemployment compensation claim approved.

Ehhh, my office doesn’t pay for my clothes but they can tell me jeans aren’t acceptable and send me home without pay until I wear something that complies with dress code. And keep in mind, every rule thats written is because someone pushed the envelope until it had to be put in writing. This is what it looks like when it reaches the put in writing phase.

I am guessing that this letter is directed to someone higher up who handles money, probably a controller, GM or maybe director. The type of person with a parking spot with their name on it so there is no question about who is driving what. The context of the email indicates they are concerned with how the individual is handling finances but we don’t know for sure that something is wrong. That brings me to my next point, we also don’t see the inappropriate vehicle in question. We make assumptions that its a mint beige 1995 camry but it could be a rotted out dented up cracked windshield no exhaust 1985 camry hoarder level full of refuse that marks its territory parked right next to someones new Mercedes. Remember there are names on the spot, so every employee or customer that walks in sees it, and its bad enough that two VPs had a discussion about it. Bottom line, we only see the email, we can only make assumptions and speculate on why it was sent and if there is just cause.

We do know that the recipient was mature enough to post it online so it could go viral and the world could get offended. To me, this kind of behavior alone is unacceptable in upper management and is just cause for termination.

As far as HR goes, they are out to protect the company. I sit through training every year with corporate lawyers about what I can say and what I can’t say. I get periodic online training and tests that I get a nastygram and more tests if they aren’t done on time or if I miss a question. Monthly meetings about policy and whats acceptable and not. I am not in HR, but when I have a question about disciplining an employee HR answers or calls the lawyer that can. Someone with VP of HR in their title didn’t just start doing HR stuff yesterday and wouldn’t put something in writing thats of questionable legality. Note that your assuming the recipient will be fired, the letter makes no mention of that. The suggested remedy is to contact a car dealership. Termination is 3-4 steps ahead of where this situation is now, and if they are let go, that $380 a week or whatever in unemployment that the company would be liable for is probably pennies in comparison to the recipients salary. Depending on the state that could raise the price the company pays for unemployment insurance but again, that’s likely a fair trade for getting rid of a finance director with questionable judgement.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

:allears:

How are you filtering the bacon grease, coffee filters or something? And do you have a recipe utilizing said bacon grease for that bread and/or the entire drat sandwich? I was gonna riff off of Binging With Babish's attempt at the Cubano from Chef.

Also, what's up with that mustard (I think?), did you make it? I made a first attempt at whole grain mustard a couple of weeks ago and it was quite a bit too vinegary, although I haven't tried it in a week so maybe that mellowed out. I was using Brad Leone's recipe but I couldn't find verjus anywhere so I subbed it with 50/50 white wine/white wine vinegar and I think that's the problem.

E:

rdb posted:

We make assumptions that its a mint beige 1995 camry but it could be a rotted out dented up cracked windshield no exhaust 1985 camry hoarder level full of refuse that marks its territory parked right next to someones new Mercedes.

FYI, I originally saw this on (CAT TERRIST put your earmuffs/blinders on) Reddit with the caption stating that this letter was given to their friend who drove a 1995 Camry in reasonable condition. Obviously take this with a grain of salt because Reddit, but that's why I'm at least operating under the assumption that it's just a frugal, fiscally responsible guy puttering around in an old car.

T-Square fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Jan 22, 2020

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

I hope it's a bozu land rover.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?

T-Square posted:

How are you filtering the bacon grease, coffee filters or something? And do you have a recipe utilizing said bacon grease for that bread and/or the entire drat sandwich? I was gonna riff off of Binging With Babish's attempt at the Cubano from Chef.

Also, what's up with that mustard (I think?), did you make it? I made a first attempt at whole grain mustard a couple of weeks ago and it was quite a bit too vinegary, although I haven't tried it in a week so maybe that mellowed out. I was using Brad Leone's recipe but I couldn't find verjus anywhere so I subbed it with 50/50 white wine/white wine vinegar and I think that's the problem.

E:

FYI, I originally saw this on (CAT TERRIST put your earmuffs/blinders on) Reddit with the caption stating that this letter was given to their friend who drove a 1995 Camry in reasonable condition. Obviously take this with a grain of salt because Reddit, but that's why I'm at least operating under the assumption that it's just a frugal, fiscally responsible guy puttering around in an old car.

Thats my point, we are all passing judgement based on differing assumptions, myself included. We need more information.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

NitroSpazzz posted:

Speaking of ratty daily drivers I forgot the VW had a suspect headgasket before all this hospital crap began. I replaced the overflow tank a few days before it all started and was going to see if the coolant level dropped again....it did. Trying to find a friend to come crawl around under the car and make sure it isn't just a leaky hose. Smelled a little coolant on startup following a short (~10 min) stop today. It never leaves puddles so I can't trace it that way. I don't have the tools or energy to do the headgasket and would want the timing belt and water pump replaced at the same time, labor at a regular shop would be more than the car is worth. Need to see if a friend is interested and what he would charge, otherwise it may be time to let the VW go.
Wife hates the VW because it's old and stinky and clunky, is encouraging non-frugal and fun to drive options and dramatically increasing my budget. Meanwhile there's a few cheater diesel golfs in the area that would be a nice update.

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Making me miss our Alpharetta customer, there was an amazing Cuban restaurant I always hit when I got sent there. Customer was a pain but the food made it worth it.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

rdb posted:

Thats my point, we are all passing judgement based on differing assumptions, myself included. We need more information.

Not really. It has nothing to do with the car, and everything to do with the level of prying and presuming they're doing about his personal life. It's unacceptable no matter how nice or not nice the car is.

Although, on a second reading, it sounds like it might be a security clearance position, and the real concern is where they talk about being a possible weak spot. If they ask and he just says "I'm frugal" or "I spend all my money on my nice house" then I suspect they'd just drop it.

Still tactless as gently caress.

LloydDobler fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Jan 23, 2020

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

gently caress everything about this post. I want that so badly, it's not funny. :mad:

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
If it's in your signed contract, and it's not a contract of adhesion, your employer can have some pretty broad powers over how you "represent the company" that you'd have to fight in court. In industries that cater to rich people, you have to keep up appearances, or else. The missus works for a pretty wealthy business and the hoops they have to jump through to keep up the appearance of being a small, family business while also appearing classy and exclusive enough for their millionaire clients makes me frustrated whenever she describes it all

Now, if it were my car in the crosshairs, I'd just slap antique plates on it and get the exterior spotlessly clean. Poof, my personal vehicle has magically transformed from an old beater into a classic that I'm saving from the scrap yard :sparkles:
After my car is a bonafide classic that also looks the part, I'd get in touch with a lawyer because I'm the kind of guy who would spend ~$15k to defend my right to drive a $2k car

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

T-Square posted:

I put an unfiltered coffee filter over the mouth of the mason jar and screw the lid ring over it to hold it in place. I push a divot down into the jar so the grease doesn't just run off the filter over the edge of the jar.
it works great and I have about 8-12 jars of bacon grease at any given time.

I used the lard to make the bread as well as make the pulled pork as well as constantly season my cast iron pots and pans.

I can't remember if that was mustard I made or bought. either way it's just whole grain mustard and yeah it's basically vinegar and seeds.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

T-Square posted:

Pretty good chance the entire letter is fabricated so the poster, and all the reposters, can get a bunch of fake internet points. All the poo poo about finances and potential fraud is something the company could very well care about but it seems excessively accusatory to have in the letter. To me it seems like the whole letter was written specifically to drum up outrage. I would expect a HR letter to be something like 'as discussed on <date>, this is your written warning that the car you have been parking in the employee parking lot violates employee code #.#-# "something about keeping up appearances" and you're required to address this by <x date>.'

Or maybe I'm just used to working for large companies that have extensive written policies and procedures and any sort of written warning is via some sort of form letter.

Galler fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Jan 23, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I just made a dozen deviled eggs and my son ate half of them in about 2.2 seconds :stare:

Was his first time trying them ever :v: