Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

JawnV6 posted:

I have one grapple and one drill arm. Do folks really hop out to pull the drill off just to pick up single materials?

I usually go with one grab and one drill, and jumpjets. I swap grabber and grapple as I think I need.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
I pretty much always do grapple/drill. The aim on the grabber is really finnicky and awkward, and I only really use it for special cases like stocking up on sulfur from the bottom of the acid pools in the lost river.

At least, that's what I used to do, now I just have a mod that gives the Seamoth a drill and a 1700 depth module.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.
I didn't mod my game until, like, my fifth playthrough. I only use a half-dozen or so, and it's all cosmetic stuff, like lightswitches for my habs so I can dim the lights and enjoy my glowing plants and locker labels and stuff (or take a nap), and so forth.

The one gameplay changing mod I use is the Slot Extender mod, which adds a bunch more slots for your seamoth and PRAWN...but I don't use them, I restrain myself and stick to a max of four at a time. Instead, I use the other feature of said mod, which is to slot vehicle components in and out...while inside the vehicle. Like, say, PRAWN arms.

So I only leave my PRAWN when I dock it with my moonpools or my cyclops. As it should be.

Or, you know, the rare occasions, I jumpjet/grapple my way up on shore on the Islands/the Aurora.

It genuinely feels way more immersive just being able to press a couple of buttons and swap my PRAWN's arms via some Alterran nano-technology space bullshit, rather than climbing out and treading water while I fiddle with a side compartment.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
This should be a link & timestamp to the GDQ speedrun by salvner: https://twitch.tv/videos/533026710?t=32h32m24s

I'm watching it now, he's got some awful luck in the first 10 minutes. The devs make a huge donation early on. I am a little confused, he seems to be getting 1 coral per hit, mine always break into 4 now?

Wingnut Ninja posted:

I pretty much always do grapple/drill. The aim on the grabber is really finnicky and awkward, and I only really use it for special cases like stocking up on sulfur from the bottom of the acid pools in the lost river.

At least, that's what I used to do, now I just have a mod that gives the Seamoth a drill and a 1700 depth module.
I've avoided modding so far, still haven't made it all the way through the plot yet. Kinda glad, I was really spooked by the lava zone for some reason and it's really not that bad. The cyclops efficiency module was huge, think I was lacking it before. Also only turning on silent running when there's a really, really good reason to do so. On my Kyanite drive the big guy was hassling me while drilling, silent running got me out without too much more hassle.

I'm going to beat this game. Made my second blue key, found a giant tunnel from the very bottom all the way back to the surface. Good times..

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

JawnV6 posted:

I'm watching it now, he's got some awful luck in the first 10 minutes. The devs make a huge donation early on. I am a little confused, he seems to be getting 1 coral per hit, mine always break into 4 now?

Not watching, but if you hold a tool, it's always one hit.

Speed runners also bind mouse wheel to interact so they can break fast

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
Each piece of coral breaks into 4 table coral sample chunks on my game now. He's still getting 1 big chunk off of each in-game coral in the run. I sincerely doubt binding the mouse wheel to action button is related.

Hobojim
Oct 31, 2011

JawnV6 posted:

Each piece of coral breaks into 4 table coral sample chunks on my game now. He's still getting 1 big chunk off of each in-game coral in the run. I sincerely doubt binding the mouse wheel to action button is related.

He was playing on an older patch of the game for some glitches, I believe.

His runs are really good and well-explained though, very fun to watch.

Howard Be Thy Name
Jan 10, 2020

In Below Zero, do you start over from scratch? Is it complete enough to be worth buying at the moment?

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

Howard Be Thy Name posted:

In Below Zero, do you start over from scratch? Is it complete enough to be worth buying at the moment?

You are playing a new character on a different part of the planet, so you start from scratch.

The gameplay is probably more or less done, but they are completely redoing the story, and scrapping all the previous work they had done.
I have enjoyed playing Below Zero, but I also enjoyed playing through the original game several times in early access, if you like early access games then go for it, if not then just wait.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Most definitely not complete enough. Right now it’s just proof that the foundation is there.

If you know you’re going to want it though, the price will rise when it’s almost complete. Might as well get it cheaper while supporting development.

I got it last year and played a couple hours just to get an idea of the direction they’re going. I’m optimistic but willing to wait for 1.0 at this point before opening again.

Zesty fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Jan 15, 2020

Eat My Ghastly Ass
Jul 24, 2007

Anyone have experience running this on a Mac? I’ve been playing on PS4, but the performance is really bad at times, I’ve had lots of issues falling through the floor... I noticed on Steam that my iMac meets most of the suggested specs, wondering if I should make the jump.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Yarbald posted:

Anyone have experience running this on a Mac? I’ve been playing on PS4, but the performance is really bad at times, I’ve had lots of issues falling through the floor... I noticed on Steam that my iMac meets most of the suggested specs, wondering if I should make the jump.

it's pretty poorly optimized for PC. i haven't checked out a game on a Mac in years but the last time I did, they weren't really up to the task

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
I played a lot on a ~2015 iMac under bootcamp. There was some pop-in, but I'm not in the habit of racing textures to get out of bounds so it didn't hamper me too much.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart

Zesty posted:

Most definitely not complete enough. Right now it’s just proof that the foundation is there.

If you know you’re going to want it though, the price will rise when it’s almost complete. Might as well get it cheaper while supporting development.

I got it last year and played a couple hours just to get an idea of the direction they’re going. I’m optimistic but willing to wait for 1.0 at this point before opening again.

I've been waiting and waiting for a sale, but haven't seen one yet. Except for May EGS had a $10 price on it.
But since i'd rather go Steam and you are right about the price going up, i'm thinking of getting it soon.
Though, i'll likely wait until its done to play.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Maybe it’s a couple bucks more than the sale price, but that’s going right into development.

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

Did the release date get pushed back to accommodate all the story reworking?

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Yeah, last month they made a blog post about their head writer moving on to other things and coincidentally they want to rewrite everything.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

Everything I've watched about Below Zero is someone following the storyline.
Can you just ignore it like in Subnautica and just go build bases for no reason other than exploration?
I do hear that it is smaller.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
From what I played, the game doesn't play as a fully open world. You unlock sizable chunks as you progress the story. It's not bad or worse or anything, but it is different.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Zesty posted:

Yeah, last month they made a blog post about their head writer moving on to other things and coincidentally they want to rewrite everything.

it never ceases to amaze me how much of a complete clusterfuck every project is for this studio

just further evidence that subnautica's success was just sheer luck

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
I thought they had planned to ~reset~ the story prior to the full release so people didn't spoil everything during the beta?

enraged_camel posted:

it never ceases to amaze me how much of a complete clusterfuck every project is for this studio

just further evidence that subnautica's success was just sheer luck

Or just great marketing: they filled an unfilled niche in an interesting way. People are way more forgiving of bugs/jank when the game is unique. :shrug:

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Or just great marketing: they filled an unfilled niche in an interesting way.

That's what I meant by luck. I seriously doubt there was any kind of serious market analysis conducted by the developers on whether this niche was viable and unfulfilled.

Rather, they conceived of the idea (i.e. someone thought i'd be cool to create an underwater survival game in the same universe as their original flagship concept0, developed a game around it, and got super lucky with it.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

I thought they had planned to ~reset~ the story prior to the full release so people didn't spoil everything during the beta?

Or just great marketing: they filled an unfilled niche in an interesting way. People are way more forgiving of bugs/jank when the game is unique. :shrug:
For all the lingering jank. Subnautica is still very much one of the only cases of "An explore/crafting game with a goddamned tangible plot. PS, the horrors or man are a joke. Not a millstone around the ending's neck

The devs may still make excuses for Giant monsters no-clip into buildings to eat my friends who bought this game later, but they also ignored their very loud fans demanding "A single crash fish instant killing a seamoth is REALISTIC!" every time that particular insane bug turned up.

So that's why it's still the sort of game I'll warn people of the potential issues with one hand, and suggest they buy it on the next sale ASAP with the other. Even if trying to actually give bugs feedback for their first game was loving exhausting :sigh:

"You're just making that up because you hate the game! They clearly said they fixed that!"
"No, the in engine realtime power readout proves the thermal buff was backwards or something, and it takes Extended Cut Lord of the rings time to refill ions."
"Hey guys, Devs here. We heard you all wanted the realtime power readout replaced with icons of the cyclops mod modules!" (PS we actually fixed the thermal module this time)"

RIP that power readout. It helped me fact check so many things before it was gone that the vague "Percent left" readout wouldn't cut it for.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

The fell into the early access hole where they listened to their player base way too much with their limited funds and skill.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Invalid Validation posted:

The fell into the early access hole where they listened to their player base way too much with their limited funds and skill.

Starbound also was fond of the eternal loop of experimental/roadmap goalposts shifting, yeah. Though Subnautica came together with way more of it's original pitch and intent, and it's a game I'd actually want to replay :v:

"Hey why isn't X fixed?"
"EXCUSE ME! It's fixed in experimental! Stop complaining about stable and play experimental."
"Hey experimental is buggy as gently caress."
"EXCUSE ME! It's called experimental! Stop complaining and play stable!"

"Hey what happened to Feature/launch dates?"
"EXCUSE me! It's CLEARLY listed on the roadmap! Read the roadmap instead of asking stupid questions!"
"Hey the roadmap shoved Feature/Launch dates up again at the last second."
"EXCUSE me! Roadmaps are not written in stone!"

These days it at least feels like more developments seem to be trying to consciously avoid that, at least. You just know when Outworlder steps into the public for alpha/beta testing, it's gonna be taking poo poo seriously.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Jan 17, 2020

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

enraged_camel posted:

That's what I meant by luck. I seriously doubt there was any kind of serious market analysis conducted by the developers on whether this niche was viable and unfulfilled.

Rather, they conceived of the idea (i.e. someone thought i'd be cool to create an underwater survival game in the same universe as their original flagship concept0, developed a game around it, and got super lucky with it.

No, according to their CEO's GDC talk, subnautica wasn't concieved of as an underwater survival game.

It was originally concieved of as a cooperative modular submarine simulation game, then the found the only part that kept players having fun with their first model was the fear of drowning.

Subnautica was a series of terrible decisions refined into something fun by throwing out the worst of each bad decision. It's history is an essay on the value of second drafts.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

enraged_camel posted:

Hindsight is always 20/20, but they seem to think it was (somewhat) intentional:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6S6bgQnlP1w

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
Had one last tricky save. I'd saved inside the Prawn suit, next to the ion cube generator. When I loaded up the generator's animation would launch me through the wall. Tried grappling a few times, managed to get lodged into a wall. Was able to safely load by jamming on E as it loaded, the suit got stuck in a wall once but on the second try it worked.

I got the big plot blueprint, did the fetch quest. I was tooling around in the Seamoth trying to find the last one, stumbled on a base I'd forgotten I made. I hopped out to repair a little later and the last plant was right in front of me.

ikanreed posted:

Subnautica was a series of terrible decisions refined into something fun by throwing out the worst of each bad decision. It's history is an essay on the value of second drafts.
Hm, but what if despite a plethora of available evidence of the difficult work of taking feedback and refining the idea with a minimal budget I'd rather poo poo on the devs and chalk it all up to luck?

Here's the specific GDC talk, mentions the no-gun tentpole as well https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fkjY_R7zQsM

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

ikanreed posted:

No, according to their CEO's GDC talk, subnautica wasn't concieved of as an underwater survival game.

It was originally concieved of as a cooperative modular submarine simulation game, then the found the only part that kept players having fun with their first model was the fear of drowning.

That's true of most games though.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

Voyager I posted:

That's true of most games though.

Probably true, but Fallout 76 happened somehow.

Deafboy
Dec 5, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
My latest (& prob. last) hardcore run ended when a reaper leviathan ate me in the giant moonpool at the quarantine enforcement platform. I jumped in to the water, thinking it was safe in there, and opened my inventory & suddenly was dying in it’s jaws. Instagibbed because I didn’t have full health.

I have no idea how it got in there but poo poo was terrifying.

Such a great game, went in completely blind & it’s one of the most immersive experiences ever. can’t wait for Below Zero.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

Can't wait for Below Zero to be structured.
I've been playing for awhile and have no idea what I am supposed to be doing.
I have had no story progression since the start even though I have found multiple things like a mine, a sunken space ship and an underground base that I cant get in.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
Finally beat the game over the long weekend. Clocked in around 27 hours total. Wrapped up the story, had to take one last deep dive to get enough kyanite & sulfur for the rocket. After opening up the portals, I just left the Cyclops in the Lost River, no need to tool around in it any more. The prawn suit can handle it all, with the zip right up to the surface to boot.

I was sad that the big alien died??? There's no super metroid style "save the animals" post-endgame where me & some sea emperors bust open the cage? She seemed alright with it I guess. The end animation was alright, I was expecting something to come from the "propulsion with ion cubes is janky" rather than "lol space capitalism $1T you'll orbit until death" but w/e.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
In regards to the finale, she was basically willing herself to stay alive far longer than she should have been able to, to see her young hatch, and once they did and she ushered them away, she allowed herself to die

it was sweet and also made me big sad. :unsmith:

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Bought Below Zero on an impulse but lol the steam forums seem to hate it. nothing but complaints about lack of biomes, the sea truck sucking, the storyline being inscrutable, things being too deep, the game not being deep enough even if some items are too deep, etc etc.

I bought and enjoyed the first one in EA so hopefully that's just how the forums are and it isn't as bad as they imply

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
If the steam forums are anything like the unban forums, you're safe.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

Frog Act posted:

Bought Below Zero on an impulse but lol the steam forums seem to hate it. nothing but complaints about lack of biomes, the sea truck sucking, the storyline being inscrutable, things being too deep, the game not being deep enough even if some items are too deep, etc etc.

I bought and enjoyed the first one in EA so hopefully that's just how the forums are and it isn't as bad as they imply

While I can say that all of those points are accurate, I am still enjoying it.
Just bought it a few days ago also and i've felt a little lost here and there.
But as a big fan of Subnautica, I would say this is a decent continuation of it.
Knowing that the story is going to be reworked is a good thing.
The Seatruck is not even comparable to the Seamoth and the Snowcat is near useless as the area you can use it in, you are just banging off the walls constantly.

But its still a decent game.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

OgNar posted:

While I can say that all of those points are accurate, I am still enjoying it.
Just bought it a few days ago also and i've felt a little lost here and there.
But as a big fan of Subnautica, I would say this is a decent continuation of it.
Knowing that the story is going to be reworked is a good thing.
The Seatruck is not even comparable to the Seamoth and the Snowcat is near useless as the area you can use it in, you are just banging off the walls constantly.

But its still a decent game.

I guess if the prawn is still there it’s okay, but I really loved my cyclops and I hope the final implementation of the sea truck is a closer equivalent

SnakesRevenge
Dec 29, 2008

Remember the basics of CQC, Snake!
Is the sea truck not good? I've been waiting for completion before booting up BZ, but I have a hard time imagining the sea truck not being amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

SnakesRevenge posted:

Is the sea truck not good? I've been waiting for completion before booting up BZ, but I have a hard time imagining the sea truck not being amazing.

The Sea Truck is a transport/utility vehicle, and it runs like one. The basic configuration (just the cabin) is a bit like the Seamoth, but somewhat slower and not as agile. For every module you add, it becomes more cumbersome and drains more power. I like it, but it does require some planning when preparing longer trips, since keeping 2+ modules on at all times drains the power fast.

I’m sure a lot of people are upset that they don’t get to zoom around in their super-fast insanely agile underwater jet fighter, but personally I’m glad they replaced it. The Seamoth was way too good in Subnautica and should probably have had a hard, non-modifiable depth limit of 200m or so.