Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010
I reinstall this every October to scratch the seasonal horror itch, and I finally finished South Africa a few nights ago. I'm sad because it looks like FunCom is never going to get us to Congo. This isn't the kind of game that I'd bother grinding endgame content in. Without the story, it's pretty much done. :cthulhu:

I was left with a mission called "Dead Drop", which is apparently a repeatable daily. Are they trying to tell us something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
DON'T DEAD
OPEN INSIDE

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

The 99 can PBR reminded me of how the quantum brace was made by a redneck in a scrapyard and has a PBR can in the default skin.

I miss aux weapons

Xenaul
Jun 2, 2007
https://investors.funcom.com/funcom-se-board-recommends-voluntary-cash-offer-from-tencent-to-acquire-all-shares-in-funcom/

Tencent offered, and board recommends to accept the offer to buy all 77 Mil shares of Funcom for $1.90 per share (25% or so bump over previously traded share price)
Tencent already owned about 22 Mil shares. Presumably that would be good thing for this game.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Xenaul posted:

https://investors.funcom.com/funcom-se-board-recommends-voluntary-cash-offer-from-tencent-to-acquire-all-shares-in-funcom/

Tencent offered, and board recommends to accept the offer to buy all 77 Mil shares of Funcom for $1.90 per share (25% or so bump over previously traded share price)
Tencent already owned about 22 Mil shares. Presumably that would be good thing for this game.

Well, it certainly can't be worse. Pls, tencent

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

The agent system becomes a MOBA.

e: Secret World III: MOBA in the Congo

Hello Sailor fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Jan 23, 2020

Tyshalob
Apr 10, 2008

om nom nom i eat ur town

Anybody else experience issues where the game just will not launch at all? If I try to launch the DX11 client Steam pitches a fit about the game trying to launch with optional parameters, and when I click okay it just opens the launcher again and then stops responding. The DX9 client acts like it's trying to launch the game, but it just sits there for a few minutes before also going unresponsive.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I'm not expecting TSW: The MMO to ever get another proper update again, though you never know I guess.

Moons of Madness was pretty fantastic and anyone who hasn't played it through but likes TSW really needs to do so. Please do it blind with no guides etc, in fact do zero research on the game before playing. I'd quite like more of that, basically. Not sure how Tencent will direct the future of their newly aquired IPs but the fact they won't vanish and fade into obscurity is welcome in itself.

I think the whole "filth" thing might get around the bans on ghosts etc in Chinese horror so hopefully we see some more creativity on that front.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

That runs counter to what the horror games thread had to say about it when I asked the other day. Most goons over there said "forgettable" but this one elaborated

Judgement posted:

I actually finished Moons of Madness, and I'd rate it as pretty much the platonic ideal of "Eh it's okay." It's a pretty slow paced walking simulator with some jump scares and a few really tedious puzzles, and it does have some pretty good set piece moments, but overall it wasn't anything special.

Even it's ties into The Secret World don't really bring a lot to the experience; you can practically see the seams of where they took whatever it was they were originally working on and just bolted the TSW lore onto it, because some of it just doesn't quite fit into the game, and it also doesn't really take the lore anywhere interesting either. None of the characters or writing are even particularly interesting, which is probably the biggest crime if you're going to associate yourself with TSW.

It reached the low bar of being better than The Park, but I wonder if it might have been better off being it's own thing.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

I watched a lets play of the Moons and it seemed really boring.

VoidTek
Jul 30, 2002

HAPPYELF WAS RIGHT
It had some good scenes surrounded by a lot of weirdly paced padding, and due to budget or design constraints it never quite gets as weird or as horrifying as you might hope. So I guess in a way it was at least faithful to The Secret World in those regards.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Fair enough folks. You don't like a thing you don't like a thing. I liked it. :colbert:

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy
Valentine's event tomorrow, not a huge amount of stuff but there's a mission with a boss in it that scales based on level/group size:
https://forums.funcom.com/t/rosenbrawl-open-week-feb-12-feb-19/105712/2

Ossipago
Nov 14, 2012

Muldoon
Isn't that brawl area normally invite only from players that have a certain item with a long cooldown? If that's what I'm thinking of then this is cool if it lets all players enter. Not sure why they ever added a limited access, hard to get thing to such a dead game.

Ossipago
Nov 14, 2012

Muldoon
Played through the event content. You can 100% it, achievements included, in two days of 15-20 mins each. Maybe could stretch it to an hour's worth of content. I did enjoy it though even if it's brief, and it's free. It's also a good opportunity if you've never done Rosenbrawl and want to get those (non-event) achievements or pets because it's actually populated at the moment.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

We're never getting new story content are we?

Ossipago
Nov 14, 2012

Muldoon
It sounded at one point like the Congo content was halfway finished. I wonder if the new owners will think it's profitable to finish.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy
I doubt the new owners give much of a gently caress either way? You buy a company because you're interested in the money it makes, not the games :v:

Personally, I think if story content was worth the investment we'd have seen more of it by now.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Pilchenstein posted:

I doubt the new owners give much of a gently caress either way? You buy a company because you're interested in the money it makes, not the games

Owners definitely can and do choose what games to focus on based on money-making potential though.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy

macnbc posted:

Owners definitely can and do choose what games to focus on based on money-making potential though.
They're a multinational conglomerate, if they have any influence at all on the individual games it's likely to be negative but again, they probably won't care as long as Funcom keeps making money :v:

Ossipago
Nov 14, 2012

Muldoon
Teeniest bit of new "content" in this equinox event: new outfit and new agent. The latest financial report said something about keeping a trickle of content that was commensurate to the amount of revenue earned in their older games.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
I would have literally kept playing the game if it wasn't for the atrocious reboot. Best MMO I ever played until then.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Ossipago posted:

It sounded at one point like the Congo content was halfway finished. I wonder if the new owners will think it's profitable to finish.

Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

I don't know where you're getting this idea that Congo was halfway done

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

With the quarantine someone should stream riding a train for 12 hours. It got us some Tokyo teasers maybe it'll get Congo teasers

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Len posted:

With the quarantine someone should stream riding a train for 12 hours. It got us some Tokyo teasers maybe it'll get Congo teasers
Haha someone in a different thread mentioned how a Thief bank level progresses to the bank opening after 8 RL hours and I immediately remembered the 12 (or was it 24?) hour train stunt in TSW.

VoidTek
Jul 30, 2002

HAPPYELF WAS RIGHT
Have they even finished putting in the remaining content from before the relaunch? Aux weapons, post-release missions, etc? I played the game at release but stopped before most of the content packs, and when I got back in for Legends I was disappointed to see a bunch of stuff was apparently missing but assumed it was coming eventually.

Ossipago
Nov 14, 2012

Muldoon

theflyingorc posted:

I don't know where you're getting this idea that Congo was halfway done

I don't know either :(

Prygelknabe
Mar 31, 2009

He had a baseball bat, and I was tied to a chair. Pissing him off was the smart thing to do.
SW is a really good example of wasted potential, and I'll always be bitter about it :colbert:

Meanwhile, through my casual playing, I've finally unlocked all the passive skills. I'm guessing there's nothing else to spend new skill points on?

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy
Dark Agartha costs AP/SP to get in but if you do it before you've unlocked the extra health from all the ability capstones you're at a disadvantage and you're increasing the time it takes to finish the capstones (which takes forever to begin with) :v:

Prygelknabe
Mar 31, 2009

He had a baseball bat, and I was tied to a chair. Pissing him off was the smart thing to do.
Figures, another lovely system that seems aimed at loving over players :cripes:

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy
At launch there was nothing else to spend AP/SP on so they just stuck a massive, largely pointless grind on the end of the ability tree, which I guess was a smart move because the very second people unlocked it all they started complaining about not having anything else to spend points on. Not taking it out when they added DA was a really dumb move though, but I guess they didn't want to deal with a ton of complaints about how new players wouldn't have to grind as much as we did at launch :v:

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Judgement posted:

Have they even finished putting in the remaining content from before the relaunch? Aux weapons, post-release missions, etc? I played the game at release but stopped before most of the content packs, and when I got back in for Legends I was disappointed to see a bunch of stuff was apparently missing but assumed it was coming eventually.

Weapons no, missions yes. There is even a bit of stuff that wasnt in tsw. Tokyo lair and Congo.

Ossipago
Nov 14, 2012

Muldoon
South Africa, not Congo.

There's a free cosmetic you can claim this week for logging in, in addition to the solstice event stuff.

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth
yo, how powerful is Resurrection Joe? I've got almost all his body parts and I need that last lore piece,

UrbanLabyrinth
Jan 28, 2009

When my eyes were stabbed by the flash of a neon light
That split the night
And touched the sound of silence

College Slice

Mycroft Holmes posted:

yo, how powerful is Resurrection Joe? I've got almost all his body parts and I need that last lore piece,

I think you want a full group, maybe of lv 50s?

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth
k, so i've never done dungeons and i just want to do a runthrough to get the lore. PM me if you'd like to help.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy
What timezone you in?

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth

Pilchenstein posted:

What timezone you in?

EST

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth
also, ak'ab=all kops are bastards

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ossipago
Nov 14, 2012

Muldoon
Strangely, Age of Conan is getting a tiny bit of new content (about on par with SWL's Stonehenge scenario) which is surprising considering it was in maintenance mode long before SWL.