Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change

Lord_Magmar posted:

The Mario Mario Mafia Mafia.

“Hey Mario, lets-a go a bowling!”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Of all the changes in PMMQ, the Mafia tweak is maybe the most nonsensical to me. It doesn't have any impact on the story or gameplay, or even minor flavor.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...
It feels like a joke that was far funnier in theory than in practice.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

I really feel like dumbing down the mob models from ttyd and inserting those would have made it genuinely fun. As is it just kind of... is.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Makes me wonder if it was left over placeholder dialogue from when they were testing how to edit text boxes and nobody bothered to clean it up.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Robindaybird posted:

Makes me wonder if it was left over placeholder dialogue from when they were testing how to edit text boxes and nobody bothered to clean it up.

Judging from the other injokes in the game, I doubt it. It was probably just a bunch of injokes that was funnier to the dev team than to us.

fucking love Fiona Apple
Jun 19, 2013

samus comfy so what

Robindaybird posted:

That's what I was thinking. Just an inside joke during development that they decided to keep in for whatever reason.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

loving love Fiona Apple posted:

That's what I was thinking. Just an inside joke during development that they decided to keep in for whatever reason.

I asked Thamz. He said, quite simply:

Thamz posted:

The origin of the Mafia joke? I just made it up early in development and thought it was funny.

And there we have it.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Upcoming Innovation(?): Unblockable Attacks

While the next post is in production, a development update: the Master Quest dev team has discovered a flag in Paper Mario that lets them make individual attacks entirely, 100% unblockable.

Thamz's comments on the matter:

Thamz posted:

i think its best suited for dishing out status in key moments (did mario full heal? punish that so the player has to be creative while healing) or for keeping a partner out of the fight when you need them the most (is bow out? disable her so she cannot hide mario the next turn)

I imagine this will be of use to the dev team as they work on MQ Sr.

Quackles fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Jan 23, 2020

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Unblockable attacks on their own? Not a terrible idea.

Those implementations he suggests? Sound absolutely nightmarish. More ways of just telling you that you're not allowed to do a thing.

Especially because, in all likelyhood, there will be little to no warning or indication that you did a bad thing, and therefore are being punished.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Imagine being the kind of person who requires that level of difficulty to feel a sense of accomplishment.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Arzaac posted:

Unblockable attacks on their own? Not a terrible idea.

Those implementations he suggests? Sound absolutely nightmarish. More ways of just telling you that you're not allowed to do a thing.

Especially because, in all likelyhood, there will be little to no warning or indication that you did a bad thing, and therefore are being punished.

My major concern is if they'll be able to add a distinct 'hey dummy this attack is unblockable' indicator.

Imagine trying to use Bow and triggering an unblockable attack, only you have no idea that the attack is unblockable and you just think you're constantly botching the block.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

From what we've seen so far in this hack, I imagine the best we'll get is a tattle telling you about it.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Can't wait for enemies that don't work on turn-based rules so if you don't take an action every 3 seconds they'll just whack you in the middle of your turn.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change
This hack honestly looks nightmarish enough as is. God help us if they do implement unblockable attacks. This entire hack, and the Sr version they’re supposedly working on, is gonna go down the drain and FAST unless they dial the unblockable attacks back on damage/effects...Which they won’t, I’m loving sure.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Yeah you already have the random chance blocks if you want something to be an awful piece of poo poo, why go full on no blocking?

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Kemix posted:

“Hey Mario, lets-a go a bowling!”

Big american toadies cousin!

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

In Master Quest Sr the Endboss is replaced with Thamz, shooting Mario with a gun. You'll die instantly getting hit, it deletes your save file.

The end

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Quackles posted:

Upcoming Innovation(?): Unblockable Attacks

While the next post is in production, a development update: the Master Quest dev team has discovered a flag in Paper Mario that lets them make individual attacks entirely, 100% unblockable.

Thamz's comments on the matter:

I imagine this will be of use to the dev team as they work on MQ Sr.

I like how Thamz apparently mentally switches out "be creative" with "follow the exact strategy I had in mind or go gently caress yourself" in his thought process. And when I say I like it I mean that this is some loving bullshit right here jesus christ.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl
Master Quest community, apparently: Why don't you just get good at blocking?
Apparently also the Master Quest Community: Lol let's make some things outright unblockable.

Reading the dev's mind is a high indicator of skill at the game, you see.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
I still can't get over how you apparently need to punish the player for "not being creative" and healing to full. Literally screwing the player over for playing smart is apparently where we're at at this point.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Cerebral Bore posted:

I still can't get over how you apparently need to punish the player for "not being creative" and healing to full. Literally screwing the player over for playing smart is apparently where we're at at this point.

while also punishing people who play Danger Mario with how other attacks work and the placement of badges, just what the gently caress is the player suppose to be doing aside from reading the dev's mind?

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Yeah I will defend a lot of design decisions, and in all fairness if this is for the literal unfair unfun hard mode specifically for masochists then go ahead, but changing a fundamental part of the game (all attacks can be blocked) is a step too far in my mind.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Why is there an unblockable flag in the game's code? Was that ever used in vanilla at all?

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Why is there an unblockable flag in the game's code? Was that ever used in vanilla at all?

Odds are the devs planned it at some point, coded it in, then found out that unblockable attacks feel really bad during playtesting.

Leaving it in didn't break anything, so they just left everything there. Or removing it would break a ton of things, programming in that era was wild.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Not a surprise, really. Every hard mode hack eventually devolves into this kind of stupidity.

chitoryu12 posted:

Imagine being the kind of person who requires that level of difficulty to feel a sense of accomplishment.

:emptyquote:

CountryMatters
Apr 8, 2009

IT KEEPS HAPPENING
Having unblockable attacks isn't necessarily a bad thing. The mod as it is now is set up assuming you will block every attack, so for example when they decide a boss should do 5 damage, they will set it so that it will do 5 damage when blocked at mario's defense value at this stage
Now they can just have it do 5 damage and you won't need to block and everyone can stop complaining that it's unfair that they assume you'll block

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

BisbyWorl posted:

Odds are the devs planned it at some point, coded it in, then found out that unblockable attacks feel really bad during playtesting.

Leaving it in didn't break anything, so they just left everything there. Or removing it would break a ton of things, programming in that era was wild.

or the unblockable flag was used to test to see how attacks land but just because it's in there doesn't mean it needs to be re-implemented.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
You know how some people criticise point and click adventure games, especially older ones, for having to follow the developers' outrageous moon logic to progress?

I'm starting to get the same feeling.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
I mean, it sounds like Master Quest Sr. is literally intended to be a puzzle game where each fight has one solution. This does not sound like a good or fun idea to me, but it's not really for me. Or you. Or anyone sane.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

DACK FAYDEN posted:

It might be coded differently than using this flag, especially if it took this long to get found, but literally every attack in the prologue is unblockable because it's a tutorial designed to ease you into the game's mechanics

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
“Hmm, we should probably make these Goombas unblockable, so the player gets the idea right off the bat.”

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Oh of course it was, Magic Bowser in the beginning is the one example that comes to mind.

Sorites
Sep 10, 2012

RareAcumen posted:

Oh of course it was, Magic Bowser in the beginning is the one example that comes to mind.

I think Kamek's attacks in the rigged endgame fight are unblockable too.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

FoolyCharged posted:

It might be coded differently than using this flag, especially if it took this long to get found, but literally every attack in the prologue is unblockable because it's a tutorial designed to ease you into the game's mechanics
You can't block until you get the item from Twink that lets you time hits, but I assumed that was a flag for Mario having the ability to block and mentally separated it, I bet that's what it is.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

DACK FAYDEN posted:

It's used for a number of 'mashing' attacks such as Blooper Babies' drain attack and Buzzar's wind attack.

FoolyCharged posted:

I'm under the impression it is handled differently, by a sort of global "Action commands are on / off" switch, as it also affects your own attacks.

Quackles fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Jan 23, 2020

placid saviour
Apr 6, 2009

chitoryu12 posted:

Surely this hack must've funneled down to about 3 players, now.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Part 30: A Gourmet Battle, or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bob-omb
Thanks to starlite for the second half of the episode title.

We now return you to Princess Peach’s Great Escape, already in progress.

Let's sneak out of here. We might be able to find some news to help Mario.
Do you think it's still safe to use that secret path?
Don't you think Bowser's figured it out by now?
It's still all right, Twink. Bowser hasn't noticed anything.
He looks scary, but he's basically a major bonehead. Let's get out of here. C'mon!

To be fair, Bowser didn’t notice the secret passage door opening when it happened right in front of him that one time.

We’ve already explored this floor of the castle pretty thoroughly, but the near room on the right is different…

…or should I say, occupied.

I guess I'd better report you to King Bowser. You aren't supposed to leave your room.
But I AM really hungry... Tell you what... I'll keep this a secret if you make me something really yummy.

Gourmet Guy gives us a key to the lower floor of Peach’s Castle (where the kitchens are) and tells us to vamoose.

Down we go!

This floor of Peach’s Castle has three side rooms. The door at the back, under the stairs, leads to the kitchens. We’ll check there last.

The left room only has a bunch of junk in it.

The room on the right has an awfully suspicious wardrobe…

There’s a surprise Toad inside!

Oh noo! I'm caught for sure!

You're a Toad from the castle? How long have you been hiding in here?
Well, since Bowser took over. I was so scared of being caught that I jumped into this closet.

The Toad returns to his hiding spot, and we open a chest that’s also in the room. Inside is the Power Bounce badge!

Remember when this was missing from the Koopa Bros. Castle in Chapter 1? Well, it’s here now.
(Though this chest originally had Last Stand. I wonder where it went?)

We chuck Power Bounce into the Mystery Chest, then head into the Kitchen.

Twink wastes no time in finding a recipe, and off we go!

First… put Sugar and Eggs in a bowl.

Peach puts Sugar and Eggs into a bowl.

Now… mix and whip the ingredients in the bowl.

We mash A as fast as we can for 10 seconds, and Peach mixes the batter.

Now… put Flour and Butter in the bowl.

In goes the Flour and Butter, and…

…wait, what’s Peach doing? Oh, dear.

The recipe continues. I wonder if Princess Peach is the type to buy non-toxic detergent?

Now… bake the batter in the oven for 30 seconds.

There’s no onscreen timer for the baking.

(In regular Paper Mario, there’s about a 7-second grace period for how close to 30 seconds the cake must be baked to count as well done. In the earlier Pro Mode hack, its author, clover, lowered that grace period to 1 or 2 seconds for some reason. Then, Thamz and co. reverted it to the base game's numbers for Master Quest.)

OK. This is the last thing to do. We're going to decorate it with cream and strawberries.

Cream ON!

Strawberries ON!

With that, the (spiked) cake is on its way to Gourmet Guy.

Oh! I’ve been waiting so long! I’ve wasted away to nothing!

Nooooooo! Haaaaackpth! Aw, disgusting! This is awful!
  Where'd you learn to cook, Truck Driving School?!
  Go back to the kitchen and follow a recipe or something!
  I'll never eat such a nasty creation again, I tell you!   I swear...trying to poison me…

Gourmet Guy may have been right, but we end up having to do the whole process over the correct way.

All done!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UeKtcdXqIKE

He likes it!

To show you my gratitude, I'll tell you a secret.
  One of the Star Spirits is inside Mt. Lavalava on Lavalava Island. This island is to the south. You should tell this to Mario.
  But you'd better tell him that there's also a nasty Lava Piranha guarding the Star Spirit.
  He'd better be careful. I really don't dislike Mario. That's why I'm telling you this.

Gourmet Guy leaves - and Twink heads out to tell Mario. Then, well…

You're a prisoner, and as a prisoner you need to keep...
...Whuh!? What are you doing out of your room, anyway?!

And that’s all for Princess Peach for now.

Back in Toad Town, Muskular, the new Star Spirit, thanks us for the rescue.

We get a new bar of Star Energy, and the Chill Out Star Power! It lets us debuff enemies’ Attack. We’ll need it for the trials ahead.

Twink arrives with the location of the next Spirit’s prison, but in the process, gets a little… :sun: star struck.

Twink delivers his news, and leaves. It’s time to run some errands around Toad Town!

First off, we check in with Rowf. He’s got some new badges - another copy each of HP Plus and FP Plus, and the tantalizing All or Nothing badge - which gives Mario a power boost as long as we properly perform each action command.

All or Nothing’s BP cost has been increased. In the base game, it cost 4 BP. Here, it costs 5. We put it on anyway.

Did I mention that All or Nothing also cost 100 Coins more than in the original game for some reason? But the HP Plus and FP Plus each cost 25 Coins less, so it kind of works out.

Someone named ‘Kent C. Koopa’ has scrawled a note on the back of the Toad Town news board. This is going to cause us one or two big headaches in our future.

In the Post Office, Kooper has received a letter from his friend Koover, in Koopa Village - and Parakarry has fan mail from someone called Frost T., in faraway, chilly Starborn Valley.

Mario has some mail, too - one from Goombaria of Goomba Village, and a thank-you letter from Rowf.

And Luigi’s diary has two new pages!

I got some junk mail today from a medical company.
They wanted 30 coins a month for an insurance plan. What a total ripoff!
I even had to use the doctor from the plan. It was a “Malpractice Guy.”
I’m not sure who that is, but I’d rather not leave my medical care to someone called “Malpractice”.
Either way, my brother is a doctor, so why do I need to pay for healthcare?

Mario really has had a storied career, hasn’t he?

They said that Goombario is in the care of my brother, then they gave me a souvenir!
They also told me my invitation to their special club with the Don family was rejected.
I was kinda bummed out. I really wanna join! I'll try again one day, but for now I'm just gonna wait.
Just imagine the great Luigi being a part of a club like that with all those important people.
Maybe I need to get stronger. I think I'll try the Dojo in town when Mario gets back.

Is there anyone in Toad Town who is not a member of the mafia? Aside from Luigi?

We’re not going to check out the Dojo just yet, though - we’ve got more errands to run.

Our first stop is Koopa Village, where there’s… a bit of a ruckus going on.

Koopa Koot’s favor this time is to stop that racket!

Inside Kooper’s house, two Bob-ombs are having at it.

Oh, Bombette!!!
I'm putting my whole heart into this next explosion! Watch it and see my true love!
Shut up! Shut up! Shut up! The neighbors are starting to complain about your noise! Quit your bellyaching!

Well, there’s a simple way to solve this one - bring Bombette to sort out the argument.

I'm off on an adventure, doing very important things.
I have enough to think about without your puppy love! And besides, you're not my type!
I told you that before! So calm down before you blow a fuse.

Bombette... Oh don't...

And that’s that.

Koopa Koot rewards us handsomely!!

He wants another favor, of course. This one is to retrieve an old photo from Boo’s Mansion - though he only tells us this after a longwinded story.

We save our game before heading out to Boo’s Mansion, but who should be waiting by the save block buuuut…

Kaaaa-wiiiizzz! It’s everyone’s favorite quizmaster, Chuck Quizmo!

Ooh, what’s today’s quiz look like?

Which of these objects can be found in the storeroom of Harry’s Shop?
[Barrel / Wheel / Broom]
Chuck is referring to the shop in south Toad Town.

Which item can Tayce T. combine with a Koopa Leaf?
[Dried Pasta / Shroom Steak / Dried Fruit]

What is your prize for getting three stars on the slot machine in Shy Guy’s Toybox?
[Shooting Star / Super Shroom / 10 Mushrooms]
Fun fact: If you get three Shy Guy symbols on the slot machine, it spits out five or so Shy Guys.

What part of Toad Town doesn’t have a Toad with a purple hat?
[Gate district / Castle district / Residential district]
By ‘castle district’, Chuck either means the central crossroads with Donlon’s house, or in front of Peach’s wrecked castle. Both have no such Toad present.

Okay, this one’s a stinker. You only find out Bruce’s name from a love letter he sends to Bombette, but the letter only arrives a long while after you have a talk with him in Koopa Village. Like we just did.

What color is the Toad who hands out prizes for the radio contests?
[Blue / Green / Pink]

Which of these meals will restore the most health?
[Boiled Egg / Spaghetti / Potato Salad]

And away he goes. We’re rolling in the Star Pieces now!

We arrive at Boo’s Mansion and ask about the photo.

Koopa Koot's been known to use people, you know.
He got in a couple fights over his personality way back when. After one really bad one, he started traveling a lot.
This is a photo of us from when he passed through these parts.
Take this and say hello to Koopa Koot for me...

Would that make the photo a shellfie?

Franky the Boo has some words of wisdom before we set out.

No other Boo could fill her shoes as master of the mansion.
If she wore shoes, that is.

Koopa Koot is overjoyed to get the photo back, if the longwinded story is indication.

Not as overjoyed as with the noise complaint, though.

Another favor awaits! This time, Koot wants some Koopasta.

Sourcing the Koopa Leaf is easy, but the Dried Pasta requires a quick side trip to Dry Dry Outpost. Thankfully, the warp pipes make it easy!

Tayce T. cooks up the pasta, and Koot thanks us when we deliver it to him.

Oh, and he pays us the usual. That’s the last favor he’s got for us right now.

Now it’s time to take on the Dojo again.

SFX: Gong

Music: The Master

Mario, you will fall!

Our opponent for today will be The Master, and he’s sporting a swanky new look!

This is The Master. He owns the Dojo— and he's the strongest member.
His deep connections to the Mafia and their influence in creating the Star Rod means he can drain your Star Energy.
He knows both normal and advanced methods of attack.
You'd better concentrate, Mario! This guy doesn't mess around at all!

In the base game, The Master II had 75 HP. Here, he’s taken a 25 HP boost.

The Master also has 2 Defense this time around. (We do 3 damage with our Hammer because we have All or Nothing equipped from earlier.)

He’s also doing the same attack-boosting thing as before, except he starts out with 2 Attack when he hasn't been hit, instead of 0. His Attack still goes up by 2 each time he's hit.

Because of this, we both Charge next turn.

It turns out The Master is also spicing up his attack patterns. Each turn, he has a 30% chance to do a combo attack that does 9 damage, twice. This isn’t affected by his normal attack boost.

We charge again, maxing out Goombario…

…but The Master does the combo attack again, for the KO.

Now how are we going to solve this?

With the power of SCIENCE!!!

I have come up with a strategy that lets us beat the second form of The Master at the point we are in the game - but it relies, to a certain extent, on probability. Overall, it has a success probability of 37.7336% (repeating, of course). The great majority of this RNG is based on The Master’s 70% chance of doing a normal attack, vs 30% chance of doing a combo attack.

The strategy involves us cooking up a whole bunch of Sweet Shrooms and Egg Missiles - much like the General Guy fight. We end up with five of each.

And our badge layout is setup to take advantage of charged Hammer attacks, with a side of Danger/Peril, and another side of Double Dip. The HP Plus is to make our HP an odd number, as well as to be a good number to get into Peril from after healing.

Let’s do this!

Our first step is to get into Peril. We need to take at least two normal attacks for 1 damage each, and two combo attacks.

While we’re waiting, we Charge with Mario and switch to Watt (this’ll be for a bit later). The Master responds with the first normal attack. We don’t block it.

(This is good. We need to take both normal attacks before the second combo attack, or Hold Fast will prevent us from taking damage from the normal attacks and we’ll bite it.)

Next turn, we charge again. We still don’t do anything with Watt. The Master responds with another 1-damage hit.

Now that we’ve taken the needed number of hits, we’ll be blocking all normal attacks for a while.

After we charge to maximum, The Master uses his combo attack! We’re now waiting for one more combo attack.

At this point, we have Watt Turbo Charge Mario, and hope The Master uses the next combo attack in exactly 2-3 turns. Ideally, we want to weave in a fully charged Goombario Headbonk the turn after Mario attacks, so if The Master uses the combo attack next turn, it’ll complicate the numbers.
On the other hand, if The Master uses the combo attack too late, Turbo Charge will wear off.

He uses the normal attack first turn! We switch to Goombario and start charging.

Next turn, he uses the normal attack again, then we charge again. We really want a combo attack next.

We get it!

With Power Smash, we immediately donk The Master for 16.

Hm! Nice maneuver.

The Master’s normal attack is now at 4. Thanks to Hold Fast, we can tank this if we block.

If he does the combo attack, though, we bite it.

Mario! Is this your best?!

He does the normal attack!

Goombario unleashes his Headbonk for a further 12 damage, and we heal with our first boosted Sweet Shroom. The Master’s normal attack is now at 8, and our HP is 31. At this point, we need to get back into Peril a second time, preferably with as many hammer charges as possible.

Remember this chart from earlier? It’s a strategy guide I made. It shows what the best moves are here - block or don’t block - and the chance of success.

The Master does his normal attack. I block instinctively. This is a mistake. I should have let it hit at full power - I’d have about a 13% better chance of success going forward.

Fortunately, I have the advanced chart. The cool flowchart above is my visualization of a computer program I wrote to figure out the best way to get into Peril for different variants of fighting The Master II.
This list is the output of that computer program. True means 'block', False means 'don't block', and the numbers are the percentage chance of getting into Peril without Mario falling over.

(This battle would be a lot easier after Chapter 5, and that’s when it’s “supposed” to be beaten, according to Thamz and co. I may have gone a tad overboard in proving it’s doable earlier.)

Anyway: now that we’re at 26 HP instead of 24, my best strategy is to not block a normal attack, and to only block half of a combo attack.

We Smash Charge. The Master does his normal attack, and we don’t block, as per instruction. We also switch to Watt, but don’t Turbo Charge yet.

Now that we’re at 19 HP, the strategy is the same: don’t block normal attack, block half the combo attack. We Smash Charge again, and The Master does his normal attack again.

We are now at 12 HP. This is, coincidentally, the minimum damage the combo attack will do, no matter how hard we try. This means that we need two more turns of normal attacks (7+5 damage, less 1 from Hold Fast) to get us to 1 HP. If The Master does his combo attack on either turn, we bite it.

This is the main reason for the low chance of success of the strategy: once you get to low HP, you have to rely on consecutive normal attacks.

We charge, bringing Mario to maximum, and now we Turbo Charge.

The Master attacks! We’re at 5 HP exactly. One more blocked normal attack will put us at 1 HP, thanks to Hold Fast.

…or, he could do the combo attack and KO us. I planned ahead for this edge case by also putting on Power Rush, so we’ll still get a +2 boost if we hit now, instead of Mega Rush's +4. We can make up the missing damage with partner attacks later.

I say: to heck with it. We hit for 14 and we hide.

The Master does the normal attack.

At this point, The Master is at 10 Attack. Once we heal, we’ll be at 35 HP rather than 31, which means my fancy flow chart has gone out the window again. To the computer program!

It appears the best strategy for 10 attack with 35 HP is to not block the first attack.

After healing, we make sure not to. It’s the normal attack.

The strategy for 26 HP is to continue not to block. We Charge our hammer, and Watt does nothing.

The Master continues to favor the normal attack.

We are now at 17 HP. If The Master does the combo attack now, we don’t block it and hit 1 HP exactly. If he does the normal attack, we block it and try again at 10 HP.

We Turbo Charge now, and Charge our hammer again.

It’s the normal attack! It all comes down to a roll of the dice. 70% chance: The Master gets us to Peril. 30% chance: we have to do this all over again. What’s it gonna be?

We charge our hammer to max aaaaaaaand… it’s the normal attack! The RNG portion of all of this is now over.

We Power Smash The Master for 16 damage, and hide again.

Next turn, we have enough FP… to Double Dip!

The first item we use is a nice Egg Missile, doing 8 damage and putting The Master at 14 Attack. We follow it up with a Sweet Shroom.

Don’t lose your concentration. I have yet to truly begin fighting back!

The Master uses the normal attack again, putting us at 20 HP. But we’ve got him!

We Double Dip Egg Missiles. The Master’s Attack is now only at 18. We have 20 HP. Neither the normal or combo attack can KO us, and we win next turn.

After one last normal attack from The Master, he’s at 18 HP.

Kooper goes in for a 2-damage hit…

And we deal the final blow by Double Dipping our last two Egg Missiles, cleanly KOing The Master.

Hm… That was a solid fight.
Very well. I give you this.

Victory!~

That concludes our errands in and around Toad Town.

Next time, it’s back to Mario’s big adventure!

Badges: 55/90 (New: All or Nothing, HP Plus, FP Plus)

Recipes: 38/50

Star Pieces: 109/202 (we have 39)

Chuck Quizmo’s Quiz Questions: 34/64

Game Overs (this time): None.
Game Overs (total): 24.

SUMMARY OF CHANGES FROM MAIN GAME (in this installment)

• Power Bounce located in Bowser’s Castle where Last Stand used to be.
• All or Nothing badge costs 100 Coins more.
• All or Nothing badge costs +1 BP to equip. (4 in base game.)
• HP and FP Plus badges at Rowf’s shop cost 25 Coins less, each.
• The Master trains even further. (+25 HP, 2 Defense. Normal attack does 2 + (number of hits taken * 2) damage. Combo attack does 9 damage twice.)

Donlow!

Before we head out to the South Seas, it’s time for us to spend our Star Pieces at Donlow’s.
Here’s what he’s got left. Got any suggestions?

Attack FX A: 1 , 0 BP - Changes the sounds of Mario’s attacks. No other use.
Chill Out: 2 , 1 BP - Prevents Mario from being hit by an enemy First Strike.
HP Drain: 5 , 3 BP - Reduces Mario’s attack by 1, but he restores 1 HP each time he hits an enemy. (Multi-hit attacks count each hit separately.)
Heart Finder: 7 , 2 BP - Makes 1-3 extra HP-restoring Hearts drop from enemies after a battle.
Flower Finder: 7 , 2 BP - Same as Heart Finder, but with FP-restoring Flowers.
Happy Heart: 10 , 2 BP - Has a 33% chance to restore 1 HP each turn.
Happy Flower: 10 , 2 BP - Same as Happy Heart, but with FP.
Two copies each of Happy Heart and Happy Flower are in Donlow’s stock.
Mega HP Drain: 20 , 5 BP - Reduces Mario’s attack by 2, but he restores 2 HP each time he hits an enemy. Stacks with HP Drain. Capped at 5 HP/turn.
Crazy Heart: 20 , 5 BP - Has a 50% chance to restore 3 HP each turn.
Flower Fanatic: 30 , 8 BP - Reduces the FP cost of moves by 2, to a minimum of 1. Stacks with Flower Saver.

Next Time On Master Quest: Did you know that just about everything in Jade Jungle is poisonous?

Quackles fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Jan 24, 2020

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Love how much effort you put in defeating a secret boss a chapter early. Nobody is more suited to lp this romhack besides you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
Great, now Thamz is gonna buff Master II to make it unbeatable before finishing chapter 5.