Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

esselfortium
Jul 19, 2006

Cumulonimbus Antagonistic Posting

Furnaceface posted:

Looking for some horror or suspense that doesnt rely heavily on gore or excessive blood to deliver its punches.

Shin Sekai Yori. It's a slow burn early on, but the payoff is so worth it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

SSY was also my first thought for it, though it isn't without some gore so ymmv

i wouldn't say it's excessive at least

smenj
Oct 10, 2012
Seconding recommendations for Shin Sekai Yori/From The New World above, it’s excellent. As I’ve said before when this show gets brought up, something to bear in mind is that two episodes in the first half of the show were guest-directed by someone else, and I found them to be noticeably worse than most of the rest of the show. Just letting you know in case you’re put off by a bad episode early on - it’s worth sticking with it afterwards.

If you’re up for a movie, you could try Perfect Blue if you haven’t seen it already?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Furnaceface posted:

Looking for some horror or suspense that doesnt rely heavily on gore or excessive blood to deliver its punches.

Mermaid Saga
Mononoke
Monster
Requiem From the Darkness / The Hundred Stories
Wasurenagumo (animated short, part of the Young Animator Training project)

and nthing the endorsements of Shin Sekai Yori and Perfect Blue

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Requiem From the Darkness / The Hundred Stories

Seconding this, especially as it's the kind of horror where the main cast are mostly just along for the ride to watch some poor bastard create their own special nightmare and collect on their soul at the end.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

it's my favorite anime series that seemingly nobody besides me (and you, I guess!) has ever seen

like it's not some unsung masterpiece necessarily but it's got a distinct visual style and i like that the protagonist is a bookish nerd who just wants material for his novel, and will hang out with literal demons for inspiration as long as they're cool with it

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

hey i watched it, the author on whose work the anime is based also has 2 other anime

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Requiem and Erased look like they will fit this odd craving I have right now. Shin Sekai Yori, Mononoke and Paranoia Agent a bit too but Ill see how things go once Im done the first 2.

Thanks!

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Shin Sekai Yori is one of my favorite things. Just real interesting feel to it most of the time.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

That Works posted:

Shin Sekai Yori is one of my favorite things. Just real interesting feel to it most of the time.

:agreed:

squealer did nothing wrong

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

:agreed:

squealer did nothing wrong

Nice.

Yeah it's hard to put into words, I guess it builds up this competing sense of curiosity and dread the entire time that builds as it goes? Something like that.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

That Works posted:

Nice.

Yeah it's hard to put into words, I guess it builds up this competing sense of curiosity and dread the entire time that builds as it goes? Something like that.

It's about the main character's transition from helplessness to moral self-ownership. It's horror, but it's also a coming-of-age story; the dread is about realizing your happy childhood was built on a mountain of corpses and the curiosity is sustained even after the initial revelation by the realization that, with time and perspective, you might actually be able to do something about it.

It's not light and fluffy, but it's not so pessimistic that you want to hide from the truth, either.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

its just a mediocre knockoff of the chimera ant arc with more comphet

Hilario Baldness
Feb 10, 2005

:buddy:

Grimey Drawer
Just started SSY and for some reason the narrative tracks like a nightmare. Elements are tangentially connected and brief and bizarre. Decent so far.

Draxion
Jun 9, 2013

That was how I felt about it too. It was completely insurmountable at the time for me, can't say how I'd feel going back to it now.

smenj
Oct 10, 2012
I felt the same way at first, but it really came together as the show went on. And as I’d mentioned above, there were two guest-directed episodes (I think episode 4 or 5 was one of them?) where I just had no idea what had happened in parts of them until the start of the next episode, when things went back to the original director.

Telltolin
Apr 4, 2004

I just finished Serial Experiments Lain and I'd love some more stuff like this. I've been on a 90s kick after finally getting around to watching NGE so bonus if it's from that or adjacent decades, but that's not a prerequisite. I dig how cerebral it is and the "high tech" feel that makes me feel like I just got a new tileable wallpaper, color scheme and animated cursor for my compaq

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Telltolin posted:

I just finished Serial Experiments Lain and I'd love some more stuff like this. I've been on a 90s kick after finally getting around to watching NGE so bonus if it's from that or adjacent decades, but that's not a prerequisite. I dig how cerebral it is and the "high tech" feel that makes me feel like I just got a new tileable wallpaper, color scheme and animated cursor for my compaq

RahXephon
is fundamentally a knockoff Neon Genesis Evangelion, but it's still a good show in its own right with great hand-drawn animation.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Telltolin posted:

digimon tamers op

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Telltolin posted:

Boogiepop Phantom, not the new one (I dunno if is bad or not, just never watched it)

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Sakurazuka posted:

Boogiepop Phantom, not the new one (I dunno if is bad or not, just never watched it)

The new one really drags out its arcs unnecessarily, and I just got burned out when it was airing weekly and on something like the sixth episode of one of its arcs with unnecessary padding and no resolution in sight. The original show's a good recommendation though.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

new boogiepop perfectly hits cerebral, but there's not much of it that really centers technology in the way of like cyberpunk or adjacent shows. its aesthetic is very standard modern day, there just happen to be aliens and secret organizations doing genetic enhancements etc, so ymmv on how well that applies. it's a polarizing show but i think it's good, just maybe not a 100% fit for these parameters

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Telltolin posted:

Watch Alice in Cyberland the OVA that the lain writer did before Lain and recycled a lot of concepts from

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

IDK if it's any good but maybe Key the Metal Idol?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9y7KrcfuxAw

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Telltolin posted:

NOiSE and Blame! might as well be set in a near/distant future of Lain with the background premise of "the internet took over reality and hosed everything up so bad that non-technohellworld Earth is an ancient myth." I haven't seen the anime(?) adaptations so I can't say much beyond 'they exist' but given how poorly Sidonia was done I'd say read the mangas.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

silentsnack posted:

NOiSE and Blame! might as well be set in a near/distant future of Lain with the background premise of "the internet took over reality and hosed everything up so bad that non-technohellworld Earth is an ancient myth." I haven't seen the anime(?) adaptations so I can't say much beyond 'they exist' but given how poorly Sidonia was done I'd say read the mangas.

NOiSE's manga volume is well and truly out of print and hard to find (and has no anime adaptation), and BLAME! has a single anime adaptation in movie form on Netflix. It's loosely based on one of the mid-run story arcs (The Electrofishers, specifically), and is actually a pretty good action film.

Draxion
Jun 9, 2013

Might as well check out Kaiba, Texhnolyze, and Ergo Proxy too. Dennou Coil for similar themes as Lain but significantly lighter in tone.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
yeah the Blame movie is pretty decent.

For novelty if nothing else you might check out the Ver.0.11 ONA, it's short and should be easy to find. There's no plot or anything they're just disconnected scenes from the manga and it's pretty dated-looking iirc but the structure of the dvd was like you were accessing a corrupted memory file so that part is kinda fun at least. idk if you can get that part online or from a download; I have a copy of the dvd so that's how I watched it.

Everything Burrito fucked around with this message at 08:40 on Jan 25, 2020

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

NOiSE's manga volume is well and truly out of print and hard to find (and has no anime adaptation)

Is there a digital version? Because from what I can tell the thread rules say nothing and general ADTRW rules aren't explicit about cases where there is an official licensed release but it's completely unobtainable without a time machine and an IBN5100*, as to whether or not it's cool to discuss the possibility that there may or may not be ways to read something anyway.

*Which reminds me that Chaos;Head is also a thing, if one that requires a huge "mileage may vary" disclaimer.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
Kodansha rescued it: https://kodanshacomics.com/series/noise/

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Rules are a bit lax about licensed and unlicensed due to the nature of this industry, and also cause not everyone is in the same country so things get a bit blurry anyways.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
What's the best place to start with Macross? I mean I know like the technical answer is "the beginning," but I don't really have time to watch hundreds of hours worth, so whatever is like "the best" would be a huge help. If it helps, the Mecha anime I like the most is War in the Pocket and Gundam Thunderbolt.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

silentsnack posted:

*Which reminds me that Chaos;Head is also a thing, if one that requires a huge "mileage may vary" disclaimer.

Oh god, don’t watch Chaos;Head. The anime is a jumbled mess. Read the VN if you want to experience it.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Taintrunner posted:

What's the best place to start with Macross? I mean I know like the technical answer is "the beginning," but I don't really have time to watch hundreds of hours worth, so whatever is like "the best" would be a huge help. If it helps, the Mecha anime I like the most is War in the Pocket and Gundam Thunderbolt.

Macross Plus

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Taintrunner posted:

best: original series, only 36 eps or 27 if you wanna stop before they got their order to produce more episodes

alternative: do you remember love, movie version of original macross but different

my hot take is that macross plus is good, but not very "macross."

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Macross Plus is still one of the greatest anime OVAs ever made in a vacuum so I'd still make it a priority even outside of wanting to get into the franchise, and if it gets you watching more (I know it did for me) then all the better.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

What should you watch after Macross Plus?

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
IMO compared to say Gundam there's honestly not so much Macross actually available that you have all that many confusing options, pretty much all of the entries are self-contained in a way that there's no real terrible jumping in point or watch order necessary. I personally associate Plus with being part of a "classic" trilogy of the original 36 episode 1982 show, the Do You Remember Love? movie, and Plus itself, so I'd probably lean towards those other two as a follow up but there's no reason you couldn't also jump into some of the later stuff like Frontier.

The ones I haven't mentioned above are Zero (a prequel to the original show), Delta, and 7, and the only reason I haven't is that I don't care for them all that much, but I still don't necessarily think they can or should be skipped assuming the franchise ends up clicking for people.

Sab Sabbington
Sep 18, 2016

In my restless dreams I see that town...

Flagstaff, Arizona
Some of the non-gore oriented horror recommended earlier in the thread is much appreciated since I genuinely can't get enough horror anime, but I'm interested in seeing if anyone has any recommendations without any restrictions? AKA the gorier the better in contrast with the previous recs

I watched Higurashi no naku koro ni as a kid and it's due for a revisit. Same with Elfen Lied, though it may not be due for a revisit, thinking about it. Another was very good, Shiki was fun if not overtly impressive. I've watched a ton more but have the issue of not being able to recall their names in retrospect.

Monster is one of my favorite pieces of fiction in any media, period, so I'm open to slow pacing and long series, along with stuff that might only be horror-adjacent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

esselfortium
Jul 19, 2006

Cumulonimbus Antagonistic Posting
If you revisit Higurashi, be sure to watch both seasons of it. I say this because a lot of people stop after the first one, thinking that’s the end, and miss the whole conclusion of the story.