Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

A fix named COXOK is absolutely the premium content I’m looking for. That’s the current one to beat, but there MUST be an FUKIR or something out there, right???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

PT6A posted:

Wait until you enter the exciting world of “how the gently caress is the fix pronounced?”

Is RIGOT rig-ot or rye-got? Is KIPEV kip-ev or kai-pev? And don’t get me started on XUBUM! No one knows!

Edit: what’s the rudest or cleverest fix name anyone here has seen? I can’t think of any good ones around here but there must be some good ones.

Can't think of any off hand, but I like the region-specific ones. There used to be procedures into PIT with references to the Steelers and Penguins as you'd continue the approach.

(e- LEMEW, CYDNY, CRSBY, MALKN, and FLURY are all Penguins references: https://aeronav.faa.gov/d-tpp/2001/00570FEWGA.PDF)

Tangentially related:

I felt like it was just a randomly-generated fix until I saw AHORE.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Jan 23, 2020

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

CBJSprague24 posted:

Can't think of any off hand, but I like the region-specific ones. There used to be procedures into PIT with references to the Steelers and Penguins as you'd continue the approach.

(e- LEMEW, CYDNY, CRSBY, MALKN, and FLURY are all Penguins references: https://aeronav.faa.gov/d-tpp/2001/00570FEWGA.PDF)

RDU has departures named for UNC, Duke, and NC State. Although from what I can tell there isn't yet COCHK or CHROY

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Calgary has the FLAAM arrival and Edmonton has OILRS but I don’t think there are any further references to hockey in the fixes that are included.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
There’s a really good one I saw somewhere over Kansas or Nebraska but I can’t for the life of me remember it.

e.pilot fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Jan 23, 2020

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

e.pilot posted:

There’s a really good one I saw somewhere over Kansas or Nebraska but I can’t for the life of me remember it.

SHART?

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
CZI is the Crazy Woman VOR.

Which I’m now realizing is a city.

I fly with a boomer clown that makes the same poo poo jokes every time we hear it.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
I believe there's a DEEZE and a NUTTS not too far apart somewhere on the east coast.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Best one I know was up by Fort Smith, NWT; BALLS.

What was even more fun was Canadian Regional and Canadian North used to fly F28s in there all the time, which led to smartasses making radio calls along the lines of "I've got the little Fokker by the BALLS"

Sagebrush posted:

I still don't know if it's mee-tar or meh-tar or may-tar

It's pronounced "Aviation Routine Weather Report" :v:

e.pilot posted:

SPICY BARBQ RIBBS

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

UUA CVG 230000 KZID /RM TODAY IS THE FIRST DAY OF THE BENGALS DYNASTY
The best approach is the RNAV 16 at PSM, where the fix names are, if flown from the NW-

ITAWT
ITAWA
PUDYE
TTATT
IDEED

Also that one in Maine where two of the fixes are DAANK and MEEMZ but that one is just an irony-poisoned FAA employee and not actually a good joke

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
I don't like you because you're dangerous

a patagonian cavy posted:

Also that one in Maine where two of the fixes are DAANK and MEEMZ but that one is just an irony-poisoned FAA employee and not actually a good joke

Nah don't worry, it's OK for SA Goons, the elder statesmen of internet comedy, to find things funny that got popular after 2005

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

MrChips posted:

Best one I know was up by Fort Smith, NWT; BALLS.

Simple but excellent.

"Aviation Megathread: Proceed direct BALLS"

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

OBAMA is somewhere in Kazakhstan. Near Almaty I think

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Because I have nothing better to do:

BALLS is the FAWP for RNAV 14 into Hay River. So I guess it'd be "Cleared the approach, report BALLS" :v:

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Take a look at anything around Louisville.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

PT6A posted:

A fix named COXOK is absolutely the premium content I’m looking for. That’s the current one to beat, but there MUST be an FUKIR or something out there, right???

I actually got the phraseology backwards, it’s “cleared direct a-whore, RNAV one-three to airglades airport, report cocksuck for your frequency change.”

:downswords:

We don’t issue many approaches, sadly. It’s always amazing when someone requests that practice approach and tries to make the fixes inoffensive.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

:laffo: that's the one

cigaw
Sep 13, 2012
The RNAV 12L at Rocky Mountain Metro flown from the IAF to the MAP is :krad:

E:

The best approach is the RNAV 16 at PSM, where the fix names are, if flown from the NW-

ITAWT
ITAWA
PUDYE
TTATT
IDEED
It is interesting that the one IAW sends you down memory lane to a beloved children’s cartoon and the other IAW is SATAN.

cigaw fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Jan 24, 2020

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Today my PPL candidates showed entirely superior aircraft management skills and situational awareness compared to my CPL candidate and now I don’t know if I should be happy or sad. I’m starting to think the personality conflict my CPL candidate had with his previous instructor may not have been as much the instructor’s fault as I had thought. To be fair, that instructor is a bit of a prick sometimes (aren’t we all?) but he had this student’s number.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I'm doing some therapy for fear of flying using VR goggles and some of the youtube 360 videos. Do any of you know if there are VR videos available that show commercial flights? So far I've just seen the fighter jet kind of stuff.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

actionjackson posted:

I'm doing some therapy for fear of flying using VR goggles and some of the youtube 360 videos. Do any of you know if there are VR videos available that show commercial flights? So far I've just seen the fighter jet kind of stuff.

I assume Pilotseye.tv is the content you want, but I'm not sure if they've done anything in VR? https://youtube.com/user/PilotsEye

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
I have a GoPro Fusion if you want some custom content from a small Cessna :jeb:

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

actionjackson posted:

I don't know about VR, but there are plenty of trip reports on YT people post about travel experiences which, while not VR/360 degree, would at least give you a sensation of looking out the window and in the cabin at cabin service.

SDMullis has a bunch up which aren't even the "Hey, look at me, be sure to like and click the link to subscribe and buy some stuff from my store or donate to Patreon!" variety, but are just ridealongs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S7PIBj2JmbY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Spn0bLQg7_E

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Thanks. Yeah I'm pretty familiar with all those window view videos, which I'm using as part of a cognitive behavioral therapy program. I was just wondering if anything like that existed for VR to give myself a more intense experience. The thing I get most upset about is descending when I'm still above, and going through, clouds.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
Man, a Tristar video from 1999 is rubbing in how long ago 1999 was.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
lollin at MIA-ATL being done in an L-1011

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

e.pilot posted:

My first ever 767 flight was MIA-ATL on a 763 in 1997- that was the second departure of the morning (the first was an L-1011). The only reason I remember is I looked at the plane and thought it was a 757 until I saw the "Boeing 767" titles behind the 2L door and got excited.

There's a book about Delta exiting bankruptcy I've been reading off and on over the last couple years and it talks about how DL used widebodies on shorthaul routes well into the early 2000s out of the perception it was a better experience for passengers. ATL-MCO was almost all widebody, including 777s and MD-11s at one point, in part to keep the planes moving.

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

UUA CVG 230000 KZID /RM TODAY IS THE FIRST DAY OF THE BENGALS DYNASTY
I’ve flown ATL-CVG multiple times in a DL 767. That was when CVG was a hub, though, so it made a bit more sense

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'
Delta flies 777s between ATL and one of the NYC airports, I occasionally find them zooming over me.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

e.pilot posted:

The first time I went to disney world circa 1994ish an L-1011 did ATL-MCO.

Somewhere I found a circa early 1970s ad that was for a Delta 747 on something like ORD-DAL which was a giant :psyduck:

(Look at this "gorgeous" livery though )

dupersaurus posted:

Delta flies 777s between ATL and one of the NYC airports, I occasionally find them zooming over me.

Thats hub-hub re-positioning though.

hobbesmaster fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Jan 25, 2020

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

I’ve flown ATL-CVG multiple times in a DL 767. That was when CVG was a hub, though, so it made a bit more sense

CVG-ATL, much like JFK-ATL, might have been repositioning. All of the Big Three seem to still have heavies on hub-hub flights even today.

Now things like CVG-BDL on a 767-200...

hobbesmaster posted:

Somewhere I found a circa early 1970s ad that was for a Delta 747 on something like ORD-DAL which was a giant :psyduck:

(Look at this "gorgeous" livery though )

That might have played into both airline regulation and the fact that airlines competed on service back then because they couldn't do so on fares and everybody had to have a 747.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
Re: Kobe
Went into KVNY today for a lesson, we scrapped and did ground because it was super terrible. Pretty much everyone scrapped.

Just sad stuff. I fly over that spot twice a week, I can see how in IFR conditions you can have a hill come out of nowhere.

AWSEFT
Apr 28, 2006

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

Went into KVNY today for a lesson, we scrapped and did ground because it was super terrible. Pretty much everyone scrapped.

Just sad stuff. I fly over that spot twice a week, I can see how in IFR conditions you can have a hill come out of nowhere.

https://youtu.be/B0pQfgi9ZqU

i am kiss u now
Dec 26, 2005

College Slice

I hope the air safety institute does a case study on this as yet another lesson on the dangers of skud running.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

“Class C surface area is IFR, say intentions”
“Maintain special VFR, transition into the 101 westbound”

Closest METAR I found:
KBUR 261716Z 00000KT 2 1/2SM HZ OVC011 12/08 A3016 RMK AO2 T01170083

SVFR is 1 SM right?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
Yeah, iirc SVFR essentially lets you go down to class G minimums of 1sm visibility and clear of clouds.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

If you're IFR you don't have a hill come out of nowhere, IFR is specifically designed to keep what happened today from happening. They were special VFR for...reasons?

i am kiss u now posted:

I hope the air safety institute does a case study on this as yet another lesson on the dangers of skud running.

Same, this sounds like a pretty textbook example of what not to do.

hobbesmaster posted:

“Class C surface area is IFR, say intentions”
“Maintain special VFR, transition into the 101 westbound”

Closest METAR I found:
KBUR 261716Z 00000KT 2 1/2SM HZ OVC011 12/08 A3016 RMK AO2 T01170083

SVFR is 1 SM right?

Yeah 1mi clear of clouds.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
Ty all for the IFR primer - I'll probably be there ... next year? I'll get there when I get there.

But uh. I was assuming everything in the valley was IFR because you just straight up couldn't see a thing. I was on the road right next to the runway and you couldn't see anything taking off, visibility was ... well, as the METAR said.

That's so stupid.

Reztes
Jun 20, 2003

One of my students had a solo cross country scheduled this morning to Camarillo and Van Nuys. Woke up, looked at the weather and texted him that hell no he wasn't going. I'm pretty sure we won't have to discuss why very much now at least :stare:

Reztes fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Jan 27, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rudest Buddhist
May 26, 2005

You only lose what you cling to, bitch.
Fun Shoe
Yep, weather was absolute garbage at Compton this weekend. LAX had delays like crazy both mornings. People still scud running and flying hard IFR with one vacuum system...