Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Does anyone know how an old subwoofer like the Velodyne F-1000-B compares with modern offerings? My dad has one of these and I'm wanting to add a subwoofer to my system, but I'm not sure how it compares with modern subwoofers from different price ranges.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Ytlaya posted:

Does anyone know how an old subwoofer like the Velodyne F-1000-B compares with modern offerings? My dad has one of these and I'm wanting to add a subwoofer to my system, but I'm not sure how it compares with modern subwoofers from different price ranges.

If it still works it should be fine, looking at a used listing it doesn’t have a LFE input so you might need an RCA y-adaptor if the level seems low but you can just connect it to either line in.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

So I plugged in a subwoofer.

It makes a surprisingly big difference. Lower end sounds all sound sorta "3d" now. I played cello a lot growing up, and instruments like that have the sort of "body" they have in reality now.

Took a lot of messing around with settings to get it at an ideal level where it didn't overpower the speakers, though.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Hi thread

I need an inexpensive 2.0 receiver, to basically sit between an Apple TV and a TV, getting its input signal over HDMI. Two channels are fine, but if more are cheaper that's also fine.

I'm not adverse to finding something decent on the used market.

Suggestions?

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

I don't know if this is the right thread, but hey, let's find out.

I got desktop speakers today, the Audioengine A2+s, and when I plug them in via USB, I get a noticeable hum - slight, but still noticeable - and occasionally some spitting like noises. Like if someone perched their lips together and made farting noises. Via the 3.5mm jack, I also get a hum. I have a cheap MPOW ground loop isolator that I use in my car, but it still produces the hum via the 3.5 here on these speakers. I chalked that up tot the cheapness of the isolator.

Everyone recommended using USB since the A2+s have a built in isolator, so I'm leaning towards that. Then, I researched my problem and a lot of people got a USB isolator and then either stopped posting or their problem was fixed, so I'm assuming a 100% fix rate. It's the only thing I haven't tried, but I wanted to see if anyone had any other suggestions or thinks I made the right/wrong call.

Things I've tried so far:

• different outlet
• different USB port
• different surge protector
• different outlet across the room with a whole different outlet
• new power cable for a whole different outlet
• switching between USB 2, USB 3.0 and USB 3.1 ports on the computer
• outlet with its own separate surge protector

Out of all these options, the one that seemingly works the best is the far away outlet and any USB port - from there it's just humming, which makes me think the USB isolator may fix it.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

bolind posted:

Hi thread

I need an inexpensive 2.0 receiver, to basically sit between an Apple TV and a TV, getting its input signal over HDMI. Two channels are fine, but if more are cheaper that's also fine.

I'm not adverse to finding something decent on the used market.

Suggestions?

What’s your budget? There’s not much of a downside to only using 2 channels on a surround receiver but there’s affordable [sub-$400] stereo ones too if you have hard to drive speakers.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

So I tried plugging in one of my 3020i speakers in as a center channel (I'm currently waiting on wall mounts so I can use them as surround units). While there's a bit of a mismatch between the quality of the sound from it and my front L/R speakers, I was surprised by the difference it made in terms of the "directionality" of sound in movies, etc. I guess it's because the front speakers can now devote all of their attention to stuff other than center dialogue.

Between that and the subwoofer it feels like being in an actual movie theater. The subwoofer really has the biggest impact. Can't wait to actually get the surround set-up completed. These are easily some of the most satisfying gratuitous recreational expenses I've made.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

qirex posted:

What’s your budget? There’s not much of a downside to only using 2 channels on a surround receiver but there’s affordable [sub-$400] stereo ones too if you have hard to drive speakers.

I’d like to keep it below $500.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

bolind posted:

I’d like to keep it below $500.

I'd be wary about buying used unless it's from the last year because of all the HDMI changes lately. These are good refurb options
https://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/yamrxa780bl/yamaha-rx-a780-7.2-ch-x-95-watts-a/v-receiver/1.html
https://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/denavrx2600h/denon-avr-x2600h-7.2-ch-x-95-watts-a/v-receiver-w/heos/1.html the cheaper 1600 would work too.

If you want to try the stereo thing the Denon 800H and Onkyo 8270 [or its Integra rebadge] are decent bets. I have the DTM-7 and really like it. Generally with the 2 channel amps you're giving up more inputs, room correction, etc. in exchange for better amp capacity/quality and simpler setup. I went with mine because a bunch of the speakers I was looking at go down to 4 ohms impedance and didn't want to worry about it.

qirex fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Jan 20, 2020

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme
I gotta say, I never thought a center channel would make much of a difference, but it's actually huge in regards to hearing dialogue more clearly. Even a 3.1 makes a difference.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

The one minor issue of sorts I notice from the center channel (though this might be because I have a bookshelf hooked up as center channel instead of a "dedicated" center channel, though I ordered one that is coming later this week) is that it is very obvious the sound is coming "from the speaker." When a character talks it is just very clear that the sound is coming from below the TV, whereas speakers in stereo sort of simulate the sound coming from a place directly between them.

It's not a huge deal and it might be exacerbated somewhat by me sitting close to the TV.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

No, that's how they're supposed to sound which is why I hate them. That and getting one to match your front speakers properly means that you should have another of your fronts as the centre...

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

Ramrod XTreme

Olympic Mathlete posted:

No, that's how they're supposed to sound which is why I hate them. That and getting one to match your front speakers properly means that you should have another of your fronts as the centre...

I don’t get that from mine. But it’s angled up towards my head. It seems to come from the tv. But I have a larger center with 4 woofers so maybe that makes a difference?

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I can't stop listening to random bass and/or drum videos on youtube. Drums sound especially cool because of the subwoofer - it's like the actual drum is in the room with me or something.

Olympic Mathlete posted:

I see it as a trade-off. The "positioning" of the center channel sound is a bit off, but in exchange it's much clearer and the "directionality" of the stuff from the L/R speakers is a lot more obvious (though the latter will probably matter less once I attach my surround speakers).

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Ytlaya posted:

I can't stop listening to random bass and/or drum videos on youtube. Drums sound especially cool because of the subwoofer - it's like the actual drum is in the room with me or something.

I see it as a trade-off. The "positioning" of the center channel sound is a bit off, but in exchange it's much clearer and the "directionality" of the stuff from the L/R speakers is a lot more obvious (though the latter will probably matter less once I attach my surround speakers).

I've always enjoyed this song with good subwoofers. The string bass can either sound muddy or really tight depending on your setup.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xS3NkhjsBf0

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Hamelekim posted:

I don’t get that from mine. But it’s angled up towards my head. It seems to come from the tv. But I have a larger center with 4 woofers so maybe that makes a difference?

It's not that it doesn't come from direct centre but that it ONLY comes from direct centre. Modern cinema setups have a fair few speakers behind the screen, smaller ones will have 3 stacks: L/C/R but most large screens will have 5 stacks behind the screen giving a L/CL/C/CR/R arrangement so the speech is a bit more filtered through the CL/C/CR speakers and to my ears at least, sounds better as it's coming from front but not one specific point right in the centre.

I guess a lot of it comes down to the mixing of the audio tracks, some of which are vocally heavy in the centre and that's the kind of sound I don't really like hence running without a centre channel for so long.

*edit: surprisingly difficult to find what's sat behind the screen in most cinemas!

Olympic Mathlete fucked around with this message at 12:21 on Jan 22, 2020

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Also oof:
https://twitter.com/therealfitz/status/1219656757242474496?s=20

I'm not a software boffin by any stretch but letting new stuff work with old stuff means the new stuff doesn't get upgrades? Weird.

Also via that thread I learned of this one:

https://twitter.com/atomicthumbs/status/1210662988828442624?s=20

Olympic Mathlete fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Jan 22, 2020

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010
Are they inferring that a late 2000s Sonos device will no longer work with newer stuff? I'm not reading it that way.

It just sounds like end of security and software updates, but they will still work. For now?

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

"if modern products remain connected to legacy products after May, they also will not receive updates and new features"

So you effectively can't use the old stuff for new features (which I get) but if you want to use the new features on your newer Sonos you need to buy more newer Sonos to go with it. I understand it but obviously people who were first to buy into the brand are suitably annoyed.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Enjoy your internet of poo poo things. Don't buy remotely managed devices if you want them to keep working into the future. Also that's hilarious that they offer you a 30% discount to destroy the resale market.

In a bit of positive news, my Polk Audio OS70 outdoor speakers I bought from a4l as refurbs came in with one DOA that I didn't unbox for 6 months. Polk just shipped me a warranty replacement with no hassle other than "can you send me your receipt." In minorly annoying news, a4l is now selling those OS70's new for the same price I paid for refurbs. Had I just waited 6 months I could have gotten them for the same price with a marginally longer warranty.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I've been posting about this on AVS but to me the hugest problem here is the lack of any kind of remedy other than "buy new hardware [which is more expensive that the working stuff you're replacing]" all so they can lower their software development costs. There are multiple better ways to handle this and they're doing it in what seems like the worst possible fashion.

IMO it's OK to end of life things, some of this stuff is 10+ years old, but to disable working hardware and have no customer-facing roadmap is the wrong way to do it. Sonos was supposed to be the "not internet of poo poo" smart speaker company.

qirex fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Jan 22, 2020

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

It should be par for the course that once you officially stop supporting a 'smart' product the code should be released for internet tinkerers to do their thing. There's a bunch of products been supported long past their lifespan due to the wonderful world of tech nerds...

The recycling mode thing is honestly shocking though.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

The community supporting your old products long after they're out of support doesn't result in more sales of new products.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Neither does telling owners of your current products their expensive kit isn't going to be updated and may just stop working due to APIs and such in future... I mean it might result in more sales, just not of your particular brand of goods :v:

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I doubt this will hurt them among their core market. Sonos has always been a premium option that prioritizes ease of use and aesthetics. It's basically the Apple of the audio world. These people will just upgrade to the newest model.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

Ramrod XTreme
Yeah I own two sonos speakers for my bedroom, and a sonos amp I was using for desktop speakers.

I might just switch to using the amp and my speakers in the bedroom, since they are way better anyway. It was nice to have compact speakers like that, but using a product they are going to eventually kill off is bullshit when it's speakers. At least I could use the amp like a regular amp plugged into my pc.

I won't be buying anymore products from them if this is what they are going to do moving forward.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

KillHour posted:

I doubt this will hurt them among their core market. Sonos has always been a premium option that prioritizes ease of use and aesthetics. It's basically the Apple of the audio world. These people will just upgrade to the newest model.
Honestly they already would have when Sonos offered them 30% off an upgrade 3 months ago. The increased costs of the newer Ports and Amps puts them squarely in the budget of actual whole home integration stuff like Russound and Crestron. They'd been able to walk a line between cheap crap and actual custom install for a while but their utter refusal to make an affordable [say $300 or less] endpoint is going to finally bite them in the rear end, IMO. Plus all the other streaming platforms have some multipoint expensive rackmount job like this for that market.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I always thought Sonos was overpriced garbage, but I've seen shelves full of them in enough millionaires' network closets that I just accept they get by on name recognition. I agree that they basically compete with Crestron now for anything more complex than a Play.

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse
Is this thread an appropriate place to ask for recommendations on turntables? It's been on my list for years now, and between the collection of vinyl only special items I've accumulated and a coupon I just got, I've got fire lit to pull the trigger.

Back in the day I remember I was looking at Rega and Pro-Ject, but I think I'd also like a USB out to rip vinyl to mp3/flac, and I just don't know what the market is at all anymore for quality products and features.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

Ramrod XTreme

Listerine posted:

Is this thread an appropriate place to ask for recommendations on turntables? It's been on my list for years now, and between the collection of vinyl only special items I've accumulated and a coupon I just got, I've got fire lit to pull the trigger.

Back in the day I remember I was looking at Rega and Pro-Ject, but I think I'd also like a USB out to rip vinyl to mp3/flac, and I just don't know what the market is at all anymore for quality products and features.

I think the musician sub forum is probably the place to look. More turntable users would be there at least.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=104

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I had 6 or 7 play one's at one point, and they honestly sounded good at low-mid volume listening. But I sent them packing with the ex. Now my house is full of Google home 2gen mini's. Total investment was something like $275 (8 of them) for audio in every room in the house upstairs and down with a stereo pair in the living room. They sound good enough for the price. They're worse than sonos, but not 1/10 worse which is what they cost on sale.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

jonathan posted:

I had 6 or 7 play one's at one point, and they honestly sounded good at low-mid volume listening. But I sent them packing with the ex. Now my house is full of Google home 2gen mini's. Total investment was something like $275 (8 of them) for audio in every room in the house upstairs and down with a stereo pair in the living room. They sound good enough for the price. They're worse than sonos, but not 1/10 worse which is what they cost on sale.

I'm still mad at Google for killing the Chromecast Audio.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

KillHour posted:

I'm still mad at Google for killing the Chromecast Audio.

Same. I'm glad I stocked up when they were available and don't even regret paying full price for one of them.
They continue to be very good. I even use 2 of them with the optical cable to separate DAC + Amp combos in different areas and they've been fantastic.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

KillHour posted:

I always thought Sonos was overpriced garbage, but I've seen shelves full of them in enough millionaires' network closets that I just accept they get by on name recognition. I agree that they basically compete with Crestron now for anything more complex than a Play.

My first thought was that didn’t almost all of them go into custom whole home audio systems in mansions for the first couple of years? Probably not the best market to piss off.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

KillHour posted:

And with the Echo and Home/Chromecast products killing their market for inexpensive stuff, it’s probably not surprising they’re resorting to bricking their customers gear and patent litigation to try to stay profitable.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Listerine posted:

The vintage/2 channel thread is what you seek.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Listerine posted:

~ Vinyl chat ~

Buy a Numark TTX and marvel at how overbuilt and bombproof it is compared to everything else on the market for less money. It even has a built in pre-amp so you can just sling it into an amplifier and be away and newer models had USB out too. I mean you're obviously not an audiophile otherwise you wouldn't be listening to vinyl in the first place so it being a direct drive DJ deck shouldn't bother you... :v:

ExCruceLeo
Oct 4, 2003

I'll choose the truth I like.
I would like to do surround for my living room. The wiring for the speakers is around 9 ft up. There is not a wall below as it’s kind of an open concept. Would any kind of in-wall be an option? I know some you can get with directional horns. Do I just need some bookshelf and angle them down?

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

ExCruceLeo posted:

I would like to do surround for my living room. The wiring for the speakers is around 9 ft up. There is not a wall below as it’s kind of an open concept. Would any kind of in-wall be an option? I know some you can get with directional horns. Do I just need some bookshelf and angle them down?

There are specific ones for in-ceiling that are angled. You could get away with any in-wall tho really. Surround speakers should be fine not facing DIRECTLY at you. Honestly anything you suggested would work tho. In-wall/ceiling will definitely look cleaner than hanging speaker boxes from the ceiling tho.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

Ramrod XTreme
I just discovered a flat wire tape that you can put on your wall to transfer the power to speakers without having exposed wires. You can even paint over it to hide it on your wall so you don't have wiring all over the ground.

Doesn't work for every place, but super useful for people who hate wires on the ground.

https://www.amazon.ca/Ghost-Adhesive-Speaker-Conductor-Sewell/dp/B079NTKWS2/ref=sr_1_4?keywords=flat+speaker+wire&qid=1579805952&sr=8-4

Hamelekim fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Jan 23, 2020