Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

i also heard the real reason was because they were out of control for shoplifting and other security problems.

that sounds like blame-the-poor classist bullshit imo. short of frequent straight up looting, shrinkage doesn't seem like something that could kill a grocery store

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

JesusIsTehCool posted:

Does anyone have any information on the homeless sweeps being done in the middle of the homeless count in LA county. Are they intentionally trying to drive down the homeless count numbers to make it look like homelessness is getting better or something? Doesn't that screw with state and federal funding though as I was told that is one of the reasons for the count in the first place. I saw them sweeping homeless on Tuesday in my neighborhood, and our count was last night. LA Street Watch is reporting similar sweeps all over. I weirdly got the exact same route i did last year for homeless count and despite seeing day to day homelessness getting worse in my neighborhood, we saw less tents and homeless last night than last year. We did see 3 different examples of places it looked like a homeless person had been living there recently, but we don't count that.

Yeah, I saw this on Selma (Hollywood) over the last few days.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Exponential vacancy taxes, got it.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

OMGVBFLOL posted:

that sounds like blame-the-poor classist bullshit imo. short of frequent straight up looting, shrinkage doesn't seem like something that could kill a grocery store

of course not, that's why i said that i didn't particularly believe it. though keep in mind grocery stores do have a razor thin profit margin

so i can easily believe that they were balking at paying more for security. during their last year they had hired a rentacop who stayed parked out front all day who appeared to spend most of their time trying to shoo away panhandlers

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

OMGVBFLOL posted:

Shrinkage is figured into a stores operating costs. Obviously you don't want to go much above a certain level but it's rarely the reason for a store closing, if ever.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
Also, for many stores, the biggest element of "shrinkage" is employee theft.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

FMguru posted:

yuup

a friend of mine used to stock at downtown grocery in new orleans (rouses), he said that they operated with a bounty system for catching shoplifting as well as using loss prevention plainclothes people, and that they mostly caught employees stealing booze and cough syrup

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

FMguru posted:

They make up for it by stealing employee wages. :haw:

vs:

The shrinkage data comes from NRF so I'd be skeptical of its scale anyway, but it's not that far off from what employers steal from employees.

Sundae fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Jan 23, 2020

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Sydin posted:

They dont care about the funding because they dont actually care about helping the homeless. It's much more politically advantageous in the short term to just lower the count so politicians can come out and claim that under their watch the homeless population decreased according to an official count.

I definitely buy the security angle: my roommate got his phone stolen there years ago, and when I was a student I'd see 1-2 people a month at least get chased out for shoplifting. The parking component is so loving infuriating though: so many people lost a walkable grocery store because some private equity firm decided they could squeeze a few extra bucks out of commuters.

dont forget that safeway is also owned by a private equity firm

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

Holy goddamn lol

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

The VTA is such hot garbage that I totally buy the lack of parking killing that Safeway.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

i dont think i could have thought of a better way for breed to kill whatever remaining credibility she had than by endorsing bloomberg

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Safeway's employees are union.

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

silence_kit posted:

I think that if you were to look at the housing price spikes in many booming metropolitan areas in the US, and come away from them concluding that they are just more examples of failures of unregulated free markets, you are not understanding the problem. You are either greatly ignorant, or you are ideologically committed to blaming capitalism for all problems in society, kind of like how Puritan women (or Bobby Boucher's mother in the movie, The WaterBoy) blamed the Devil on everything.

Except capitalism is real and the devil isn't.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

On the other hand, when people are trying to talk about problems and solutions, the neverending litany of :capitalism: doesn't feel super helpful. OK yes obviously if a critical mass of anti-capitalists can force a fundamental change, maybe we can be rid of capitalism, but not all of us are on board with that and in the meantime it'd be cool if instead of sweepingly dismissing discussions as "well whatever it's all because capitalism" we could actually talk about changes to laws, regulations, etc. that are politically possible right now.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

the neverending litany of :capitalism: is because of the neverending injustices of capitalism

that isn't an excuse for idle cynicism and political inaction, sure, but it's still worth pointing out

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

Leperflesh posted:

On the other hand, when people are trying to talk about problems and solutions, the neverending litany of :capitalism: doesn't feel super helpful. OK yes obviously if a critical mass of anti-capitalists can force a fundamental change, maybe we can be rid of capitalism, but not all of us are on board with that and in the meantime it'd be cool if instead of sweepingly dismissing discussions as "well whatever it's all because capitalism" we could actually talk about changes to laws, regulations, etc. that are politically possible right now.

We killed the devil and wrested political control from the church, surely we can handle Mayor Breed's billionaires. Have a little faith in yourself!

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
https://twitter.com/sfchronicle/status/1220449533794181126

Gonna be a lot of drunk fish

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Lowering the rent decreases the value of the asset in the eyes of the bank. Most commercial landlords are just rolling over their loan every 10 years or so (there's a term for it but I've forgotten). However the space sitting vacant does not lower the value of the asset in the eyes of the bank. So when it's time to roll over that loan it's better to have 50% vacancy then to have 20% vacancy and have reduced rent by 15% overall. So it just absolutely fucks the elasticity of the market.
Seize the banks, kill aggressively tickle the bankers.

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/z3bnme/tons-of-new-apartments-are-being-built-that-almost-no-one-can-afford

quote:

fear not — developers are constructing new apartments at a rapid clip this year.

The catch: Up to 80% of those rental units to be completed this year will be in luxury buildings the average person likely can’t afford, according to data obtained by the Wall Street Journal from the real estate analytics firm RealPage.

A sizable portion of this year’s expected 371,000 new rental units will also come online in cities with deep poverty and inequality crises, like Los Angeles, Dallas, and Washington, D.C., according to the data released Wednesday. In Dallas, nearly 21% of the city’s population lives below the poverty line, compared to a national average near 12%. In Los Angeles, where the homelessness population has swelled to 36,300 people, the poverty rate is 19%. In D.C., nearly 17% of the population is impoverished. Collectively, those cities will get nearly 60,000 new units.

"The news that 80% of new units this year will be luxury further illustrates that the private market fails to provide housing for the lowest-income renters," said Diane Yentel, president of the National Low-Income Housing Coalition.

These units can also be challenging to fill, although apartment occupancy overall is very high. For example, in Manhattan — where the skyline is filled with glossy luxury towers — one in four new luxury units built after 2013 remain unsold, according to the New York Times. Similarly, luxury units remain vacant in Seattle, Los Angeles, and Denver.

quote:

Developers often argue that building a new apartment is prohibitively expensive :qq:

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

yuup

a friend of mine used to stock at downtown grocery in new orleans (rouses), he said that they operated with a bounty system for catching shoplifting as well as using loss prevention plainclothes people, and that they mostly caught employees stealing booze and cough syrup

Steal your way to a living wage.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Leperflesh posted:

But if we keep saying it, people who haven't been exposed to it will be, thus increasing the number of anti-capitalists.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
I know back in the 80s the stats on shrink were 66% employee, 33% customer. I know this because my mom taught ROP and had a film called "Sticky Fingers" that the class would watch every year. The people in it were dressed very 70s, so that data might have been even older than that.

I can also see those percentages flipping as employers make it even more obvious they don't give a poo poo about their employees, who then just simply let people shoplift with impunity.

Cup Runneth Over posted:

But if we keep saying it, people who haven't been exposed to it will be, thus increasing the number of anti-capitalists.

Right, and then the guys who own everything say the opposite 100x times.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Especially in e.g. the something awful D&D subforum where the number of goons who have never been exposed to the concept that capitalism causes a lot of problems is zero.

Maybe at this point it's just reflexive, like some kind of pointing-out-everything-bad-is-because-of-capitalism verbal/rhetorical tic. Probably still a valuable thing to point out in other venues.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

It's hard to think of what would make me actually vote for Trump (as opposed to staying home), but a Bloomberg/Breed ticket would do it.

OMGVBFLOL posted:

Safeway at least actually provides the public with something. Some rear end in a top hat making it too expensive for the city to buy parking spots does not.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Jan 24, 2020

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

they claimed that the safeway there had to close because the people who own the parking structure there wanted to increase what they were charging them for it

i also heard the real reason was because they were out of control for shoplifting and other security problems. i don't know about all that, but i did used to pay for parking there and about once a week you'd come across people sleeping in the elevators in the morning

Here in SF I see people shoving stuff in their jackets and walking out of the Taraval Safeway every time I walk in and none of the bare bones staff give a flying gently caress.

I’m honestly surprised the bottom hasn’t fallen out harder in regards to lovely retail jobs.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Leperflesh posted:

Especially in e.g. the something awful D&D subforum where the number of goons who have never been exposed to the concept that capitalism causes a lot of problems is zero.

You'd think so and then you get a guy coming into the Latin American thread who is convinced that poor people are spending their benefits money on ATVs and government is choking private initiative and yadda yadda yadda

Goons are not a hivemind and are just as capable of being stupid and ignorant as anyone else (if not moreso!)

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

Wanna be a fish in that river.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

lmao

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Sydin posted:

They dont care about the funding because they dont actually care about helping the homeless. It's much more politically advantageous in the short term to just lower the count so politicians can come out and claim that under their watch the homeless population decreased according to an official count.

Its 100% this.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

The government doctoring official statistics to be able to claim that things are getting better while everyone with eyes sees that that's bullshit is collapsing USSR as hell

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Cup Runneth Over posted:

You'd think so and then you get a guy coming into the Latin American thread who is convinced that poor people are spending their benefits money on ATVs and government is choking private initiative and yadda yadda yadda

Goons are not a hivemind and are just as capable of being stupid and ignorant as anyone else (if not moreso!)

yeah bootstrapts libertarians are immune to the "hey capitalism causes bad" heads-up.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Communism Capitalism works if you do it right!

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

FRINGE posted:

Developers often argue that building a new apartment is prohibitively expensive
We have been over this dozens of times. The additional cost of granite countertops, laminate flooring, and stainless appliances is barely more than a rounding error compared to the cost of new construction. Of course they are going to spend a few more pennies to get higher rents.

Family Values
Jun 26, 2007

Goodpancakes posted:

Communism Capitalism works if you do it right!

If people are involved, they're going to gently caress it all up.

BTW I have a startup to design and build our new AI overlords, anyone want to get in on the second round of funding?

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

ProperGanderPusher posted:

Here in SF I see people shoving stuff in their jackets and walking out of the Taraval Safeway every time I walk in and none of the bare bones staff give a flying gently caress.

I’m honestly surprised the bottom hasn’t fallen out harder in regards to lovely retail jobs.

My gf works at safeway, and she says that security are the only ones allowed to do anything with shoplifters. Anyone else is risking their job over a can of soup if they try to stop product from walking out the door. Everyone knows that there's massive amount of theft at downtown locations. It's part of the reason those stores have higher prices.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

jetz0r posted:

It's part of the reason those stores have higher prices.

Which sucks because this hurts the poor/ middle class hardest.

Almost feel like stores should be mandated to have regional pricing so if that can of soup is 1.29 at one store it should be the same for all of them.

I dunno.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

MarcusSA posted:

Which sucks because this hurts the poor/ middle class hardest.

Almost feel like stores should be mandated to have regional pricing so if that can of soup is 1.29 at one store it should be the same for all of them.

I dunno.

ehhh... that could also hit the poor and middle class. you ever seen the prices at the marina safeway?

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

i heard that safeway got in the news recently, but not for its prices...

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

OMGVBFLOL posted:

ehhh... that could also hit the poor and middle class. you ever seen the prices at the marina safeway?

Yeah true it could I’m not sure what the right alternative is tbh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

MarcusSA posted:

Yeah true it could I’m not sure what the right alternative is tbh.

The alternative starts with stopping this administration from destroying SNAP. People don’t steal food if they don’t have to.

If that fails, maybe California can use its status as Big Fuckin’ Economy to make its own statewide food security program, because both agriculture and retail love it and California has plenty of both.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 09:58 on Jan 26, 2020