Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
Wanna see a Project Aces Battletech game. I imagine it would basically be the openings of Mech Commander 1 and 2 the entire game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Warmachine posted:

So wait... you're telling me flying an aerospace fighter in Battletech is like trying to dogfight in an SR-51?

Nah, AeroSpace Fighters can effortlessly transition from space to atmosphere and back pretty much on whim.

It's more like trying to dogfight in a Saturn 5 rocket. :v:

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
FYI, Steam has the base game on sale for $13.59

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
Does the tabletop Battletech game have rules for air combat? I'm curious if all those "anti-air mech" designs like the Rifleman actually are what you'd want if you needed to shoot down planes.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

nrook posted:

Does the tabletop Battletech game have rules for air combat? I'm curious if all those "anti-air mech" designs like the Rifleman actually are what you'd want if you needed to shoot down planes.

Yes. It used to be a connected spinoff game, AeroTech, but the rules were folded into the main game book years ago. (Mostly because AeroTech is a hellaciously mediocre game that nobody much liked except as an air combat adjunct to Battletech.)

Almost all of the "antiair" mechs are loving terrible at shooting down aerospace fighters, though, especially compared to the humble LRM carrier. The antiair mechs in Battletech are called that because they're mechs that were drawn to look like real-life flak batteries, not because they're actually good at shooting down aircraft.

Pyronic
Oct 1, 2008

ROYAL RAINWHARRGARBL

PoptartsNinja posted:

My favorite in-universe boondoggle is the Banshee aerospace fighter from the BattleTech cartoon. The Lyrans were experimenting to try to make an aerospace fighter that was more stable in atmospheric flight. Their solution?

You reminded me that the Battletech cartoon exists and that I absolutely love it. I had some of the huge mechs from the series too, and my love of the Bushwhacker came from the toy and Mechwarrior 3.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Pyronic posted:

You reminded me that the Battletech cartoon exists and that I absolutely love it. I had some of the huge mechs from the series too, and my love of the Bushwhacker came from the toy and Mechwarrior 3.

I wanna say the Bushwacker was created specifically for the cartoon? I know the Mauler was.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

Pyronic posted:

How can anyome forget about MY HOME PLANET?

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Purposefully

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

I got the new version of mission control working :rms:

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
Year of the rat sale going on Steam, if you wanted the DLC good time to get.

Purr Objectives
Mar 3, 2017

Live fast, die young, and leave a beautiful corpse.
What I love about this game is that with a few file tweaks you can do so much. Decided to replay the campaign with all the DLC and I’m like “gently caress a Blackjack, I’m starting the campaign with a Warhammer :getin:

DeepThrobble
Sep 18, 2006

the yeti posted:

That gauss seaplane at least /sounds/ neat, but a vstol could do just as well I guess. (Are there gauss armed vstols or ASFs?)
Yes but as a fairly cheap glass cannon they'd get annoying en masse, so like SRM Carriers you'd have to use them sparingly for game purposes.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

If I could choose to field a SRM Carrier in place of a mech I totally would.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

And Tyler Too! posted:

And then you deploy on to Polar Highlands!

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

And Tyler Too! posted:

3 SRM carriers and a Demolisher :getin:

How do I even cyclops

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
I really wish you could not only use but custom design vehicles in this game, because the crazy poo poo you can do would break all semblance of balance over your knee.

You can make a 25 ton VTOL that carries a ppc and moves at 180kmph without lostech.

Wonder how many evasion pips that'd be.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!

Cease to Hope posted:

Yes. It used to be a connected spinoff game, AeroTech, but the rules were folded into the main game book years ago. (Mostly because AeroTech is a hellaciously mediocre game that nobody much liked except as an air combat adjunct to Battletech.)

Almost all of the "antiair" mechs are loving terrible at shooting down aerospace fighters, though, especially compared to the humble LRM carrier. The antiair mechs in Battletech are called that because they're mechs that were drawn to look like real-life flak batteries, not because they're actually good at shooting down aircraft.

Ah, I don’t know why I expected anything else. Thanks!

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

the yeti posted:

3 SRM carriers and a Demolisher :getin:

How do I even cyclops

I did this but with SRM6's. The Cyclops Q doesn't get enough love.

Pyronic
Oct 1, 2008

ROYAL RAINWHARRGARBL

the yeti posted:

How do I even cyclops

If its like any cyclops i've fought against, you can put whatever you want on, but you're gonna get headshot immediately.

Azuren
Jul 15, 2001

Been thinking of picking this up- how worth it are the DLCs? The game is on sale for $14, there's a bundle including deluxe edition, flashpoint, urban warfare, and heavy metal for $31.

Azuren fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Jan 24, 2020

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner

Azuren posted:

Been thinking of picking this up- how worth it are the DLCs? The game is on sale for $14, there's a bundle including deluxe edition, flashpoint, urban warfare, and heavy metal for $31.

Very. Extremely. Entirely. Huge. Big.

In other words, do it.

Pyronic
Oct 1, 2008

ROYAL RAINWHARRGARBL
Do we have any idea if HBS is actually planning Battletech 2 or is it all just rumors. I've spent all day watching the Battletech Cartoon on youtube and now I really want some Clan action in the Battletech engine.

Killer_B
May 23, 2005

Uh?
Is there a list of mods that are definitely recommended?

You could say for either campaign or career....

I know there is BE 3025 for career, but what are some that work nicely with DLC?

I've tried the Advanced 3062 mod a few times, but bugs always seem to creep up even if not constantly getting recent versions...It's a bit tiresome.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

And Tyler Too! posted:

It's a worse 70 tonner.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

And Tyler Too! posted:

I really want to take one and fill it with Infernos.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.
Still in the very early game and I took a 1.5 skull mission that put a Zeus on the field. I headshot it with an AC/20 on the first shot and now it's mine. It doesn't seem like a great mech, but I still have a fully-loaded assault mech before Weldry.

I only have enough time to play a few missions a week, but I really like this game.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Comte de Saint-Germain posted:

Still in the very early game and I took a 1.5 skull mission that put a Zeus on the field. I headshot it with an AC/20 on the first shot and now it's mine. It doesn't seem like a great mech, but I still have a fully-loaded assault mech before Weldry.

It's fine. Relatively-fast 80t assaults are looked down upon not because they're particularly bad, but because they're only about as good as 70/75t heavy mechs. They're still fit for purpose, unlike the vast majority of 40/45t mediums or 60t heavies.

Glimpse
Jun 5, 2011

Pyronic posted:

Do we have any idea if HBS is actually planning Battletech 2 or is it all just rumors. I've spent all day watching the Battletech Cartoon on youtube and now I really want some Clan action in the Battletech engine.

Just wishful thinking so far.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

A bad assault mech is still an assault mech.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Lower-end assaults still wreck face if you're still facing primarily lights and a few mediums. Just make sure you protect your assault's flanks as the initiative advantage your opponents will have could allow them to gang up on it.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Alchenar posted:

A bad assault mech is still an assault mech.

Unless its two of the three banshees in which case its a mediocre medium

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Stravag posted:

Unless its two of the three banshees in which case its a mediocre medium

One of them is a pretty good punchbot except for all the times some little piece of poo poo punched its head off instead

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Punchbot Banshee is legit fun as hell, especially if you can find some S Pulse++ for it.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I think I went through four elite mechwarriors in my doomed banshee but that didn't stop me from continuing to use the fucker

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Oooo now I kinda want to try a career start with a Catapult, a Jenner, and some Locusts.

It'll be like playing mama duck and the ducklings!

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
Yeah, Banshee 3M punchbot is just fun and has a role in target acquisition missions when you just want someone to sprint to a spot and eat enemy fire without dying because its max armor is hilariously high.

It's also good for training up noob pilots with poor gunnery. Just run at it and punch, rear end in a top hat!

I won't argue that it's as good as, you know, SHOOTING THE ENEMY, but I always end up keeping one in my mech bay.

e: Did a new campaign with increased enemy force strength. First couple missions were suspiciously easy and I was afraid I hadn't actually picked that option... then I did a 2 skull and a 100% condition Grasshopper showed up. Yup, it's working! :stare:

sean10mm fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Jan 24, 2020

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

sean10mm posted:

Yeah, Banshee 3M punchbot is just fun and has a role in target acquisition missions when you just want someone to sprint to a spot and eat enemy fire without dying because its max armor is hilariously high.

It's also good for training up noob pilots with poor gunnery. Just run at it and punch, rear end in a top hat!

I won't argue that it's as good as, you know, SHOOTING THE ENEMY, but I always end up keeping one in my mech bay.

My FP target crew is a banshee/battlemaster, a Thunderbolt SE, a Grasshopper, and a medium. It works really well if you don't intend to actually kill anything.

Organ Fiend
May 21, 2007

custom title

the yeti posted:

How do I even cyclops

As others have pointed out, the cyclops is at a disadvantage, as it is an overengined assault. You can use them, but you have to play to their advantages over 75/70 ton mechs that have the same speed and more available tonnage.

The main advantages the cyclops has over heavies, by virtue of being an assault, are higher maximum armor and higher melee damage. These two things suggest a brawler/infighter build. The other thing you'll want to do is make sure your build runs hot, and then use a pilot with coolant flush. The best way to squeeze maximum firepower out of limited tonnage is to use low tonnage, high heat weapons, so MLs, SRMs, and snPPCs. The fact that you're running hot also synergizes well with melee attacks. You'll want to skip JJs, as they're two tons each, and the Cyclops is already low on tonnage. I usually go with a brawler (coolant flush/evasive movement) pilot for the cyclops. Also, getting piloting 7 (where you get 20% more sprint) is really important, since you won't be carrying JJs. An evasive/bulwark pilot with piloting 7 can sprint into cover, building up a huge amount of evasion, and also getting the damage reduction, which is great for getting in close.

Beyond those general guidelines, you have to play to the strengths of each of the two Cyclopses.

For the Q, you have to use the fact that it has so many more missile hardpoints than any other mech. I ran 30 SRMs on mine (4xSRM6, 3xSRM2, all +++, SRM2 in CT for gyro space) with 3 tons of ammo (10 alphas). It does incredible amounts of shotgun damage. With Heavy Metal, I might drop one of the SRM2s and add a Narc beacon for maximum damage. Armor is near maximum, of course. If you feel like running hotter, this config has 3 HS that you could drop to add 3xML or to upgrade the SRM2s to SRM4s. Another possibility I've never tried is to run an LRM build with a focus on LRM5s. Hardpoint space aside, LRM5s are the best LRM launcher in the game, as they have the lowest base tonnage to missile ratio of any LRM launcher. Take your LRM15x3 build. You're currently spending 3x7=21 tons on launchers. You have 4 hardpoints free, so you could turn two of those LRM15s into 3xLRM5. With six LRM5s and one LRM15 you are spending (6x2)+7 = 19 tons on launchers. You have two more tons to spend on ammo, or whatever else. Personally, I'm not a fan, as there are other mechs that do LRMs better.

For the Z, you have to build your lance around its battle computer. Basically, team it up with assaults that use/need coolant flush pilots. This makes your entire lance go at initiative 2 without using MT. For weapons I go with 6xML, SRM4, SRM6 and 1 ton of ammo. When you get ML++s and SRM+++s, this thing can easily core out mechs through the back, take off side torsos and legs, and in general is a great infighter. I build this mech in every single career I've run since the Cyclops came out. Its that good. You could even drop HS (and maybe two MLs, one in each arm) to add punch mods, but I've never tried this. I've been experimenting with snPPCs, but don't have a winning config yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I keep trying to fit a UAC20 into the Z and I just can't do it without it being a too hot piece of poo poo or just a piece of poo poo