Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

Total Meatlove posted:

Given how loving awful it is to drive in Portsmouth those lights are the only stopping entire taxi firms from going under

funnily enough I got cut up in Bitterne by a taxi driver but at least used his indicators while doing so. He then proceeded to not use his indicators for the next two miles I was following him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

How can you be so lazy as to write that article but not even crack open Wikipedia to find out if Sikhs were actually in WW1 or not.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Comrade Fakename posted:

How can you be so lazy as to write that article but not even crack open Wikipedia to find out if Sikhs were actually in WW1 or not.

Nah see the fact that Sikh soldiers fought with distinction in WW1, like many peoples from across the Empire, doesn't actually mean it's not woke SJW snowflake bollocks to have a Sikh soldier in the trenches on film.

e; Being reminded that Sikh people exist is just absolutely the most immersion breaking thing possible. If you want an insight into this man's extremely smooth brain.

Ms Adequate fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Jan 24, 2020

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Walk past the gurdwara and experience complete derealization and ego death. Very inconvenient.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Tesseraction posted:

A little off-topic but do any of you have good game griefing stories you can share? I'm working on something
The one that stands out for me is when I was playing TF2 one time on one of those Arena maps where there's no respawning and the round is over either when one team is killed off or someone captures the central control point.

Anyway, one time the only two players left were one team's engineer, and the other team's scout. They then declared an immediate truce and set about exploring as much of the level geometry as they could, using the fact that both of them could stand on the engineer's buildings.

Meanwhile the rest of us sat spectating waiting for the next round. I thought it was hilarious, but some people got very angry. The round only ended when the scout died from cumulative fall damage (the engy could heal from his dispenser, but the scout could not).

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

Police in still treating football fans like it's the 1980s shocker, though it's laughable that the one source they had for potential trouble was essentially "I heard from so and so who heard from so and so"

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

It's gonna be sad to see Nigel Farages second chin go when the famine sets in

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

Police in still treating football fans like it's the 1980s shocker, though it's laughable that the one source they had for potential trouble was essentially "I heard from so and so who heard from so and so"

It's nothing new https://www.theguardian.com/uk/2011/jul/03/football-fan-attacked

stevey666
Feb 25, 2007

Seems fine to me. Football fans are terrible.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Cops are worse.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

stevey666 posted:

gently caress off cop

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

stevey666 posted:

I got the bubble treatment as a Slough fan away at Southport in a 1998 FA Trophy Semi-Final 2nd leg because of what Millwall fans did after losing a cup tie in 1983, gently caress off

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

stevey666 posted:

Lol thanks, I was literally just about to make a post about how leftist contempt for football fans is the main reason so many eventually ended up in the hands of the EDL when they started to politicise in the 90s but you've just demonstrated it for me perfectly.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

Just watched someone reverse out of the end of the Fratton McDs drive thru queue because it was too long, park up and go inside only to then turn around and leave because he couldn't wait to use on of the self service tills and being second in the queue at the actual till was too much

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Eh, I've put stuff back and walked out of shops multiple times 'cos there's a big queue at the till and someone at the front fannying around instead of just handing over their money and pissing off out of the way like they're supposed to. Life's too short, you know?

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Just watched someone reverse out of the end of the Fratton McDs drive thru queue because it was too long, park up and go inside only to then turn around and leave because he couldn't wait to use on of the self service tills and being second in the queue at the actual till was too much

TBF even if the restaurant is empty and the drive through line is 10 or 12 cars long you're still going to get served first at the drive through line, at least at the one near me. loving ridiculous how much they prioritise the drive through line, to the point where I go through it on my bike sometimes.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Wander through it doing the crazy frog noises with your mouth.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Can you walk through the drive through if you make the right vroom and beep noises? Or do they cotton on to that?

E: :argh:

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Lol thanks, I was literally just about to make a post about how leftist contempt for football fans is the main reason so many eventually ended up in the hands of the EDL when they started to politicise in the 90s but you've just demonstrated it for me perfectly.

Is this specifically leftist contempt or does it just reflect a broad classism that influences a lot of ostensibly 'left' people? I've certainly had to unlearn a lot of 'football fans are all loutish morons' that I got from my (working class) parents as a kid, which I think was always a bit of a performative statement of aspiration for them tbh.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Speaking of right wing twats weaponizing performatively working class things, I just got reminded that this was a thing that happened in the 00s and was something that I managed to be blissfully unaware of how blatant it got at the time.
https://twitter.com/samisam147/status/1219943058990686208

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Pavlov's guide to political messaging.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
It's me, I'm the leftist who gets frightened by large crowds of people chanting in unison.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I mean it does depend what they're chanting.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

ThomasPaine posted:

Is this specifically leftist contempt or does it just reflect a broad classism that influences a lot of ostensibly 'left' people? I've certainly had to unlearn a lot of 'football fans are all loutish morons' that I got from my (working class) parents as a kid, which I think was always a bit of a performative statement of aspiration for them tbh.

It's difficult to say about broader society, but during the post-Hillsborough and early Premiership era, when fans did start to organise politically for the first time since the anti-racist fights in the seventies (a fight that was alas lost, again for want of support from so-called "civilised" society), they were sharply rebuffed by both the Labour Party itself (which was of course busily retooling to appeal to the urban middle class) and by other leftist orgs.

Don't laugh, but even the SWP weren't interested in turning up with placards at the anti-Taylor Report marches and the various club-specific ones (from the big ones like JFT96 to little ones like the blatant smash-and-grab tactics of the new generation of lower-league club owners.

This meant the only people with real experience in political organising at many clubs (particularly regional ones, and we'll come back to them) were holdovers from the NF who had gone back to football when the BNP started to try and shed it's skinhead image. Many of them were actually pretty successful - it's notable that many of the clubs who did manage to get rid of lovely owners in that era are ones that never really reckoned with their racist problems in the way the big clubs did in the eighties - and it was banning orders, those proto-ASBOs that were the only bit of the late-80s Thatcherite attempts to strangle football once and for all that led tot he first national football fans protests, not least because these organisers were amongst the first recipients of them. Now many of those were justified (as much as this kind of thing can be justified) but a lot of them were ridiculous over-reactions to very low-key offences including post-match pitch invasions and taking a drink onto the terraces.

Now my personal theory about why it was clubs like Luton and Leeds and not clubs like Millwall and West Ham (who had their own, larger problems with racism and hooliganism) which became the real nucleus of this movement - which speaks to your question about working-class contempt - is that it has to do with the position (physical and psychological) of the club in the community. In London or Liverpool the club is genuinely part of the community; the ground is *right there*, and there are often multiple generations of fans of a club that often represents the only focus point for community interaction. That sort of contempt can't really fester when you're talking about your own family and friends. Luton (and other towns like Oxford and Brighton) aren't big enough to reach the sort of critical mass that those big-city clubs have; equally Leeds and Nottingham have/had much bigger competition from other sports. All of this means the proportion of supporters is much lower, so that's how you get that sort of microsnobbery. It's not a solid theory, I'll freely admit, because the histories of these clubs and towns is very complex, but I think it's as good a general explanation as any.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

OwlFancier posted:

I mean it does depend what they're chanting.

Die Fahne hoch! Die Reihen fest geschlossen!
SA marschiert mit ruhig festem Schritt.
𝄆 Kam'raden, die Rotfront und Reaktion erschossen,
Marschier'n im Geist in unser'n Reihen mit. 𝄇

:hitler:

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Pistol_Pete posted:

Eh, I've put stuff back and walked out of shops multiple times 'cos there's a big queue at the till and someone at the front fannying around instead of just handing over their money and pissing off out of the way like they're supposed to. Life's too short, you know?

There are a couple of till assistants at my local supermarket who want to be everyone's friend and have long conversations with everyone. I try to avoid them. Give me a grumpy f*Ker who grudgingly grunts hello do you need a bag and just gets on with the job. They should have 'grumpy assistant won't be your best friend so you get through quicker' lanes.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
My CLP nominated RLB and Dawn Butler who were both my first preferences so that's good

Also an old woman stood up and basically said "Tony Blair sucks and he's the reason people hate the Labour party" which was cool and made a lot of people in the room mad lol

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

There are a couple of till assistants at my local supermarket who want to be everyone's friend and have long conversations with everyone. I try to avoid them. Give me a grumpy f*Ker who grudgingly grunts hello do you need a bag and just gets on with the job. They should have 'grumpy assistant won't be your best friend so you get through quicker' lanes.

That may be because they are asessed on it and the store assigned metrics based on how friendly their staff are.

Asda for example uses a three part system which requires everyone to do things like make sure customers are never obstructed at any point through the shop, staff have to maintain eye contact and smile convincingly when interacting with people, and they have a mandatory rate of item throughput during scanning.

If they don't do well at all of those they get their end of year bonus docked. Also if the store doesn't sell enough stuff they get it docked as well.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Now my personal theory about why it was clubs like Luton and Leeds and not clubs like Millwall and West Ham (who had their own, larger problems with racism and hooliganism) which became the real nucleus of this movement - which speaks to your question about working-class contempt - is that it has to do with the position (physical and psychological) of the club in the community. In London or Liverpool the club is genuinely part of the community; the ground is *right there*, and there are often multiple generations of fans of a club that often represents the only focus point for community interaction. That sort of contempt can't really fester when you're talking about your own family and friends. Luton (and other towns like Oxford and Brighton) aren't big enough to reach the sort of critical mass that those big-city clubs have; equally Leeds and Nottingham have/had much bigger competition from other sports. All of this means the proportion of supporters is much lower, so that's how you get that sort of microsnobbery.

All very interesting but I'm a little uncertain about this part - I grew up in Tyneside where NUFC is extremely important from a cultural position and many people my family were very close to were season ticket holders. Despite that my parents always (never openly saying it, in their very subtle way) felt like they had this low-key disdain for football fans that I picked up on - stupid, violent, vulgar: read, daily mail working class. I certainly grew up with an elitist attitude towards the game (why waste your time on that pointless rubbish, brb off to spend 8 hours playing videogames), and it was only in my twenties I started to realise that it was an important social and cultural institution for many people in a way I had previously been too arrogant to understand. I still think there are lots of very problematic aspects of the game like tribalism, lots of homophobia, racism, hooliganism etc but where I used to think they were inherent parts of it I now see your point - they're more reflections of left failure and unchallenged right hegemony (with some major exceptions like Celtic).

Getting back to my parents, I do feel like there was a bit of reverse hyacinth bucket about them. They grew up quite poor before doing super well for themselves, that all went to hell, then they evened out firmly in the lower middle class 'comfortable if small TownsTM semi detached' bracket. I think that attitude towards football was based on a symbolic rejection of their working class origins, and a reassertion of their 'respectable' credentials in light of their abrupt financial decline (even though they finished significantly better than they started it was well below their peak)

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

ThomasPaine posted:

small TownsTM

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

OwlFancier posted:

That may be because they are asessed on it and the store assigned metrics based on how friendly their staff are.

Asda for example uses a three part system which requires everyone to do things like make sure customers are never obstructed at any point through the shop, staff have to maintain eye contact and smile convincingly when interacting with people, and they have a mandatory rate of item throughput during scanning.

If they don't do well at all of those they get their end of year bonus docked. Also if the store doesn't sell enough stuff they get it docked as well.

That's pretty crappy. I knew WHSmiths had some kind of fines system if till operators didn't manage to sell enough of those special offers by the till. Our Smith's doesn't have anyone at the tills now you're supposed to use the self service till and only press the buzzer for an assistant if it goes wrong (which it always does) or you want a flash drive or something they don't keep out on the shelves.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
Businesses that force their employees to upsell can gently caress off

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

We had a young dude at our leadership nomination meeting who is 100% a "Lisa Nandy memes for town loving teens" guy

This must be how the blairites felt when these OH JEREMY CORBYN types started turning up

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

Guavanaut posted:

Speaking of right wing twats weaponizing performatively working class things, I just got reminded that this was a thing that happened in the 00s and was something that I managed to be blissfully unaware of how blatant it got at the time.

Give us the beans

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I remember when all you got was their name, age, home town, and B/W/H measurements (presumably in case you wanted to make them a cocktail dress as they never had any clothes) and something ripped off from a quote of the day calendar. A more innocent time.

It was 100% a Rebekah Brooks idea to pair that with "Liz, 19, from Redditch sez 'I don't like all these migrants having human rights to our benefits'" and I'm glad I actively avoided the Sun in all its forms during that phenomenon.

MikeCrotch posted:

We had a young dude at our leadership nomination meeting who is 100% a "Lisa Nandy memes for town loving teens" guy

This must be how the blairites felt when these OH JEREMY CORBYN types started turning up
What's the Lisa Nandy yoof angle? Is it literally just 'towns'?

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Guavanaut posted:

1: wow what the actual gently caress, but also I shouldn't be surprised

2: some pedant in the comments with ":actually: I know this girl and she's not from Manchester, she's from Salford :smugbert:", dude is this seriously what you're focusing on here

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
So do those men get aroused when Hilary Benn makes a speech about how brilliant it would be to use the air force to bomb Syria or when IDS makes a speech about clamping down on benefit scroungers :dong:

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

crispix posted:

So do those men get aroused when Hilary Benn makes a speech about how brilliant it would be to use the air force to bomb Syria or when IDS makes a speech about clamping down on benefit scroungers :dong:

100% to the Benn thing, yes.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Guavanaut posted:

If humans had dicks that were twice their body length and were stored inside before being fired out under hydraulic pressure that would also be terrifying.

Also the things that they do with them, which is also among the reasons why Jimmy Savile was terrible.

you really should use all of Sir James Wilson Vincent Savile OBE KCSG's titles in all circumstances

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

Guavanaut posted:

https://twitter.com/christhebarker/status/1219954992662138881?s=19