Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

I dunno maybe Rogan's endorsement will sway some borderline alt-right morons toward bernie? If nothing else, the dude has a loving gigantic audience.

I know a guy that this is probably the case for, but he doesn't vote because he buys into more of the freeman on the land poo poo, even though he's locked in a city.

He's loving weird, but a decent dude deep down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

mlmp08 posted:

“This total idiot nazi platforming rear end in a top hat likes me!” Is Bernie at his least inspirational.

Yeah, gently caress trying to make inroads. Let's just keep infighting and nipping at people who only 80% agree with us because they're not ideologically pure enough.

I dunno maybe Rogan's endorsement will sway some borderline alt-right morons toward bernie? If nothing else, the dude has a loving gigantic audience.

Half of these people only believe what they do because it's all they hear. So yeah, getting anything different in front of them from a source they're used to listening to is a good thing that costs nothing.

spacemang_spliff posted:

If you want Rogans audience to reject transphobia you need someone they trust to lead them on rejecting transphobia

Joe Rogan saying trust Bernie is a good way to start doing that

That's probably a better way of saying what I'm trying to. Definitely a less snarky version.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Jan 24, 2020

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

EBB posted:

My wife had a look. Basically the guy is frustrated because tons of people are coming, they're now rejecting people at the door who should be seen. Despite this, he's only seen five patients and he's on his third shift. Authorities are yelling at the exhausted staff to go home, but they don't want to leave. She says he has a really thick southern accent and was hard to understand.

Thank you, my curiosity is very grateful. The mountain of stress the medical community there must be under is insane, I just don't trust much of any "news" that comes out of China with everything else that has gotten past their firewall.

Abongination
Aug 18, 2010

Life, it's the shit that happens while you're waiting for moments that never come.
Pillbug
I in no way endorse Rogan but the Bernie campaign using the quote isn’t a terrible idea.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

Godholio posted:

Yeah, gently caress trying to make inroads. Let's just keep infighting and nipping at people who only 80% agree with us because they're not ideologically pure enough.
I had a mid-20s, vaguely-liberal-but-apolitical coworker who was a big fan of Rogan and his podcast. Coworker got an awesome GF about a year back who started gently opening his eyes about politics and patriarchy and I could tell it made a positive change in the way he looked at the world. He made the mistake of bringing her to one of Rogan's standup shows, having not re-examined the guy through this new lens.

The day before, he was super-psyched to see this guy he'd viewed as a rockstar since he was in college. The day after, he was clearly crestfallen and said he nearly walked out. Rogan's bit was—surprise!—littered with "just-joking" racist and misognynistic bullshit and assertions that "he doesn't care if you feel offended".

Rogan's not the guy to make inroads with.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Godholio posted:

Literally all he had to do was take the endorsement silently or even just a non-ad comment of “I’m glad he supports me” and then say nothing further to avoid this.

Placing it in an ad is dumb. Fortunately, his supporters probably are not fragile enough to fracture over it. Also Democrats have possibly(?)decided that being beholden to weirdo fragile boys who might love Rogan and might hate Clinton/Warren/Biden is preferable to Trump. So there’s a fair chance people will accept some weird poo poo if it means beating Trump in 2020.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

EBB posted:

My wife had a look. Basically the guy is frustrated because tons of people are coming, they're now rejecting people at the door who should be seen. Despite this, he's only seen five patients and he's on his third shift. Authorities are yelling at the exhausted staff to go home, but they don't want to leave. She says he has a really thick southern accent and was hard to understand.

also complaining that the staff cannot go home due to quarantines and it's new years. - per my chinese wife, she is from the south

edit : she said was hard to understand too. being upset plus regional accents

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

mlmp08 posted:

Literally all he had to do was take the endorsement silently or even just a non-ad comment of “I’m glad he supports me” and then say nothing further to avoid this.

To avoid what? That's what I'm not clear on.

Cugel the Clever posted:

Rogan's not the guy to make inroads with.

Look at the Democratic Party for the past 20 years. Take whatever you can get until the boomers die off.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Godholio posted:

To avoid what? That's what I'm not clear on.

Promoting a nazi-platforming moron whose fans are idiots at the expense of POCs, LGBTQ folks, etc.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Rogan is an idiot, but he doesn't platform nazis anymore. He's coming around. If he's the reason Bernie wins by 5k votes in some conservative county, I'd consider it a mark of improvement.

I get it, Rogan is easy to hate, but claiming all he does is platform disparaging assholes is literally on par with saying you shouldn't watch Colbert because Trump was on a few times. He has plenty of guests that are farther on the opposite end of the spectrum, and cryptozoological weirdos.

ded posted:

also complaining that the staff cannot go home due to quarantines and it's new years. - per my chinese wife, she is from the south

Now now, if everyone has a chinese wife, we can all be honest, they're sex dolls ordered from amazon.

But seriously, thanks for asking your spouses. It really is just a curiosity for me, and clearly they're under a ton of pressure and stress. It's not a great sign though, and you're not likely to see a moment of human frustration that his meltdown seemed to be on any official news. loving heartbreaking, but the show must go on.

CRUSTY MINGE fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Jan 24, 2020

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

the CSPAM martyrs who got FYAD shut down think Rogan was a smart move so that's good enough for me

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

shame on an IGA posted:

the CSPAM martyrs who got FYAD shut down think Rogan was a smart move so that's good enough for me

It may be, but if so that’s further evidence of dumbass would-be CHUDs voting for Bernie because Rogan-man.

Which is a real lemons lemonade situation.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
hosed up that Joe Rogan might get a few Nazis to vote for a jew

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Joe Rogan has platformed bad people and imo he's fash adjacent, but much worse can be said of the New York Times and no one is hassling Warren about that endorsement. Politics is getting people to vote for you, and it's great Bernie is getting Joe, and he's doing it entirely on Bernie's terms. This isn't a case of getting racist to get conservative votes.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Best Friends posted:

no one is hassling Warren about that endorsement.

lol what? The NYT endorsements have been mocked a lot.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

ded posted:

Don't hate just because I married a Beijing gal :v:

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

EBB posted:

Don't hate just because I married a Beijing gal :v:

AAAAaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr :pirate:

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

mlmp08 posted:

lol what? The NYT endorsements have been mocked a lot.

They're hassling the NYT (rightfully), not Warren, is what I think he's saying.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
https://twitter.com/PreetBharara/status/1219116703742939137?s=19

Well anything but that plant butter I say, that's just unnatural.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
Friend of my wife got SARS when that was going around. Supposedly she got it by shaking hands with someone from the WHO who died from SARS later on. Shes still works at a hospital and is freaking out cuz they are rationing masks and only allowing 1 per day. So my wife is going to mail her a bunch of them tomorrow.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Good on y'all for helping out.

I have a lot less faith in humanity than the folks in this forum though.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~

Best Friends posted:

Joe Rogan has platformed bad people and imo he's fash adjacent

Nah if anything he's an idiot libertarian type.

E) just be happy we arent talking about Eddie Bravo or Brendan Schaub

Radical 90s Wizard fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Jan 24, 2020

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Cop chat was better than Joe Rogan chat.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Good on y'all for helping out.

I have a lot less faith in humanity than the folks in this forum though.

It's not a competition!

(It is. It absolutely is)

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
Man I was reading this news article from 1964 and got kinda mad

https://www.cnn.com/2020/01/23/us/barbers-hill-isd-dreadlocks-deandre-arnold-trnd/index.html

quote:

DeAndre Arnold has been growing his dreadlocks for years.
But for the past few days, Arnold -- a senior at Barbers Hill High School in Mont Belvieu, Texas, east of Houston -- hasn't been in school. He might not get to attend his senior prom. And with graduation coming up in a few months, Arnold might not even get to walk across the stage with his friends.
It has everything to do with his hair.
School district allows dreadlocks, just not long ones

Barbers Hill Independent School District, which Arnold's high school is a part of, has a dress code. It dictates the usual things, such as the length of skirts and shorts, but with hair, it goes a step further.
Though the district allows dreadlocks, male students' hair cannot extend below the eyebrows or ear lobes, and must be kept shorter than the top of a T-shirt collar.

Superintendent Greg Poole told CNN the entire situation was false.
"People want to call us racist, but we're following the rules, the law of the land," he said, arguing that the policy is fully within the realms of the law. "We're certainly not making this up."

Oh my bad, this is from 2020

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler

EBB posted:

Some things are international.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

LongDarkNight posted:

Same thing goes for the Germans. Schwäbisch is nigh unintelligible to someone from Berlin (who thinks they speak hoch Deutsch proper German :v:

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:
Now I'm curious what Boomhauer sounds like in different languages.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Explosion in a Houston neighborhood, happened ~4:15AM local time.

https://www.click2houston.com/news/local/2020/01/24/large-explosion-causes-buildings-home-to-rattle-in-west-houston-police-say/

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

Sounds like a gas leak turned a building into a fuel air bomb.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Theres a lot of lovely people in the martial arts world that take Rogan and Jocko as loving gospel. As much as I dislike both of them I have no doubt that Rogan endorsing Bern man will give him a non zero amount of votes from the fash adjacent

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

LongDarkNight posted:

Does China have their equivalent of rednecks?

Because that would be both terrifying and kinda awesome.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

mlmp08 posted:

Placing it in an ad is dumb. Fortunately, his supporters probably are not fragile enough to fracture over it. Also Democrats have possibly(?)decided that being beholden to weirdo fragile boys who might love Rogan and might hate Clinton/Warren/Biden is preferable to Trump. So there’s a fair chance people will accept some weird poo poo if it means beating Trump in 2020.

No, but they're fragile in another way. Literally any other candidate doing this would be met with criticism for

mlmp08 posted:

Promoting a nazi-platforming moron whose fans are idiots at the expense of POCs, LGBTQ folks, etc.

but Bernie has to be flawless for some reason. This is not a bad decision because he doesn't make bad decisions. His failures are someone else's fault and his flaws are actually assets.

jerman999
Apr 26, 2006

This is a lex imperfecta
Yes, country folk are regarded as uneducated and uncultured. Lots of migrant workers show up in cities and are seen this way (not to mention they don't have residency permits).

My parents are bunkering down in Shanghai for the holiday and going out as little as possible. They sent me a video of a local hospital with the same tents set up in the parking lot as another video posted in thread.

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

Stultus Maximus posted:

No, but they're fragile in another way. Literally any other candidate doing this would be met with criticism for

but Bernie has to be flawless for some reason. This is not a bad decision because he doesn't make bad decisions. His failures are someone else's fault and his flaws are actually assets.

Look at that Bernie, hanging out with tax collectors and prostitutes.

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones
Great Lakes Naval under lockdown

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Smiling Jack posted:

Sounds like a gas leak turned a building into a fuel air bomb.

Industrial plant right next to a residential neighborhood. Who knows what went up inside.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Industrial plant right next to a residential neighborhood. Who knows what went up inside.

Well we all know what went up outside :downsrim:

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

BigDave posted:

Does China have their equivalent of rednecks?

Because that would be both terrifying and kinda awesome.

Everywhere has their equivalent of rednecks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Well this looks fun!

https://twitter.com/business/status/1220705880901148675?s=19

https://twitter.com/Fox26Mike/status/1220669971413577728?s=19