Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

this isn't as weird as you might think :v:
Well yeah, that's why I said weird-seeming. But I think if you're an Avenger or a Paladin and you want to actually really know your divine lore, you shouldn't be penalized for that because Intelligence is a dump stat for you.

Splicer posted:

D&D should have no ability scores. You've got races, classes, archetypes, skills, backgrounds, and feats to say how strong, agile, tough, smart, wise, or charismatic your guy is. All the scores do is get in the way.
Right on. In the context of D&D, ability scores are just a Math Filter that's totally unnecessary.

Meinberg posted:

There's a part of me that does like random generation in character creation, but I am a firm believer that it needs to be for non-essential stuff. Or alternatively, if you're going more OD&D where most of the game is combat, most ability scores have no effect on combat, and there's an intentional churning of PCs in killer dungeons, which allows the strong to rise to the top. In a more character-driven game (either mechanically or narratively), it just doesn't make any sense.
Yeah, a Problem for old-school D&D is that as soon as you start using ability scores to differentiate characters, you've fouled the "You can generate a character in under a minute and it doesn't matter much what you rolled" aspect of it.

dwarf74 posted:

If you're doing point-buy, they basically are created equal already - or close enough for the differences to be irrelevant. This is the DTAS argument in a nutshell.
Point-buy is bad too, because it rewards you for being a generalist whereas every other aspect of the game rewards specialization. Arrays are better, and DTAS is even better than that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Zaphod42 posted:

So all elven rangers are created equal? Not sure I like that.

On the other hand, D&D stats need redesigning and rebalancing for sure. Fewer would be good too. But I think no stats at all is throwing the baby out with the bathwater.

I would go the other way, do away with races and backgrounds but still have some simple stats. Your race should just be part of your backstory and roleplaying, like we discussed a long time back in this thread, racial stats has issues a plenty.

Hard disagree, Race should have a mechanical effect otherwise there's not much point in including them

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck
Every species has a different and unique 4e power, no matter what game you're actually playing.

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

inspired by but legally distinct from CATS (2019)

drrockso20 posted:

Hard disagree, Race should have a mechanical effect otherwise there's not much point in including them

races don't have a mechanical effect IRL but they're still included here

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Meinberg posted:

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Meinberg posted:

There's a part of me that does like random generation in character creation, but I am a firm believer that it needs to be for non-essential stuff. Or alternatively, if you're going more OD&D where most of the game is combat, most ability scores have no effect on combat, and there's an intentional churning of PCs in killer dungeons, which allows the strong to rise to the top. In a more character-driven game (either mechanically or narratively), it just doesn't make any sense.

Thread convergence: check out the Conan online character generator:
https://conan.modiphiusapps.hostinguk.org/index.html

You don't need to know the game rules to try this out.

Click character generator, then you can select all or just core or whatever (doesn't matter for our purposes at the moment), and under Options, check out the four different options for "how random" you want generation to be.

Then you can select any of the levels of randomness, such as "Play the Hand you are Dealt" .

This is a really really good set of random character generation principles at work. In general unless you go the fullly non-random options, you are A) generating something at random, and then B) still having a choice or two that follows on from the previous selections. In some cases, you're offered a choice between rolling and selecting from a list - this is because this character gen option still has sub-options (in the rulebook) for what exactly is being selected.

For example, you roll for an archetype ("Scholar") which adds a couple of points to a career skill (Lore), adds a career talent (Scribe), adds points to some mandatory skills (Animal Handling, Linguistics, Persuade, Society), and then lets you select a couple more skills from a shortlist (using "Play the Hand you are Dealt, you pick one from a list of three (Alchemy, Healing, Sorcery), then roll to randomly select a second from that list), and then get some assigned equipment plus a couple of dropdowns to pick two more equipment items.

If you use the "Normal" generation option, it's fully modular; at every step, you can either pick, or roll. This is the most flexible option and I really like it for when I have some idea of my character (I think I wanna play a traveling merchant's daughter who had a falling out with her family) but would like inspiration from some random stuff (ooh, I'll roll for Aspects - I got Eagle Eyed, and Wise & Friendly... maybe after being kicked out of her family's seafaring business, she took up a short career as a scout, that fits Eagle Eyed well, so I'll choose Awareness for the +1 attribute and Coordination for -1, and then boost Personality and Brawn with my optional attribute bonuses to represent her willfulness and good physical fitness.) But then I'll select my Caste rather than rolling for it, because I've already decided she's a Merchant (Social Standing 1, Tradesman/Vagabond talents, Persuade skill) and then select my Story (Hard-won Profits, which gives the Divided Family trait, really seems to fit, etc.

And then for Archetype I rolled Pirate, but I'm gonna re-skin this package. Observation career skill, Sharp Senses talent, Melee/Parry/Resistance/Survival mandatory skills and two of Sailing/Stealth/Thievery can work for my ex-merchant-daughter-become-scout backstory I'm developing here. Then I roll Nature and I get Cautious, which also gives Lore, Parry and Stealth so that's some nice synergy, and I can't decide between Animal Handling or Athletics so I'll flip a coin on that, and then that gives me a choice of four talents... I could double-up on Scribe (Lore) but maybe I'll go with Living Shadow (rank 1) which I can take because I have Stealth from my "Pirate" skills.

etc. etc. etc. You get the idea.

By the way I think just walking through two or three characters is a great way to get the start of a feel for how well this game's character mechanics support the genre, and how wide open that genre is for character types. Also gently caress it generating characters is fun as hell, everyone who likes generating characters should give this one a try.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I should probably mention one cool thing about FF14, compared to something like WoW, is how race is almost entirely cosmetic. Stereotypes exist but they're cultural and this is extremely stark when introduced to other worlds with the same races and completely different cultures. And they're all considered "humanity." Elezen are just tall pointy-eared humans. Lalafell are just tiny pointy-eared humans with cutesy features. Miqote are humans with cat features. I guess Hrothgar are just even moreso? Viera are very long-lived humans with bunny ears. Roegadyn are just very big and buff humans. Hyur are basically real-life baseline humans though the Mandervilles clearly go beyond.

When a genocidal horde of dragons say they want to wipe out all of humanity, they mean all of the above.

More ttrpgs should be willing to flex their creativity re: populating their worlds with fantastic races but, if they're fundamentally just human, to treat them as human and race as a largely cosmetic matter.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
FF14 is a bad example to pick here, because "humanity" in Eorzea is explicitly a political construct with no basis in reality that exists purely to give the alliance moral and legal justification to steal from, exploit and murder the peoples they have arbitrarily decided are "not human" (the ones they label "beast tribes" so you're extra sure to know that they're animals, not people).

Hyur and miqo'te are different species and the only thing they share that e.g. hyur and goblins don't is that they had enough power to force each other to recognise the other as being sapient species of equal standing. Goblins don't get that, so instead they get to suffer helplessly with no legal recourse while Limsa openly breaks the treaties it signed with them in order to grab more and more of the goblins' lands and resources.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Jan 25, 2020

Flail Snail
Jul 30, 2019

Collector of the Obscure

Meinberg posted:

In a world with actual physical differences between the different peoples, should the bird people not be able to fly, the fish people not be able to breathe underwater, and the human people not be able to declare these differences racist?

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Xarbala posted:

More ttrpgs should be willing to flex their creativity re: populating their worlds with fantastic races but, if they're fundamentally just human, to treat them as human and race as a largely cosmetic matter.

I kinda prefer the opposite, I want things to be clear and different funky species, rock people, plant people, devils, celestials, weird outsiders, and not just 'humans, but short,' 'humans but strong and dumb,' and 'skinny pretty humans'
Although I can just as easily go with 'race/species/whatever is just fluff and social, not a mechanical bonuses' or making them hardcoded in interesting ways. -It just sucks when a race I have no interest in has the ideal mechanics I wanna use, or something I wanna play is a subpar match up. Hell same with classes if they're meant to have an in-setting meaning with lore attachments.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

My Lovely Horse posted:

I dislike the D&D idea of ability scores where you generate them, then derive a set of values from each, then derive the numbers you actually use playing the game from those. My ability scores in D&D should be Fortitude, Reflex and Will and flow directly into any attacks, defenses and skills there are. Probably rename them to be a bit more broadly applicable, but as far as mechanics are concerned.

Then you would just adore an old SPI RPG called Universe (no you wouldn't)

BinaryDoubts
Jun 6, 2013

Looking at it now, it really is disgusting. The flesh is transparent. From the start, I had no idea if it would even make a clapping sound. So I diligently reproduced everything about human hands, the bones, joints, and muscles, and then made them slap each other pretty hard.
If you absolutely have to have stats, the only good ones are Mind, Body, and Soul (ie Int, Str+Dex+Con, and Cha+Wis).

BinaryDoubts fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Jan 25, 2020

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

Lemon-Lime posted:

FF14 is a bad example to pick here, because "humanity" in Eorzea is explicitly a political construct with no basis in reality that exists purely to give the alliance moral and legal justification to steal from, exploit and murder the peoples they have arbitrarily decided are "not human" (the ones they label "beast tribes" so you're extra sure to know that they're animals, not people).

Hyur and miqo'te are different species and the only thing they share that e.g. hyur and goblins don't is that they had enough power to force each other to recognise the other as being sapient species of equal standing. Goblins don't get that, so instead they get to suffer helplessly with no legal recourse while Limsa openly breaks the treaties it signed with them in order to grab more and more of the goblins' lands and resources.

Hm, and where else is race a political construct with no basis in reality? And one where it exists purely to support the colonization and subjugation and dehumanization of the outgroup?

Flail Snail posted:

In a world with actual physical differences between the different peoples, should the bird people not be able to fly, the fish people not be able to breathe underwater, and the human people not be able to declare these differences racist?

Because it almost always starts then and the becomes “and so the ones that are stand-ins for racial minorities get an intelligence penalty.”

To be more generous, different species with legitimate physiological differences are cool and neat. It’s just important that these species are present as different species and don’t become coded as represented different races. Avoiding monocultures is a hugely important step here.

And it’s also important to not frame things in term of weaknesses and strengths, and instead to think of it as purely biological permissions. It is then useful if there are tool- or magic-based options that also open up these permissions for those that wish to invest in them. If you’re playing a game with underwater fish people, you need to have some way for surface folks to breathe underwater through artificial means.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Coolness Averted posted:

I kinda prefer the opposite, I want things to be clear and different funky species, rock people, plant people, devils, celestials, weird outsiders, and not just 'humans, but short,' 'humans but strong and dumb,' and 'skinny pretty humans'
Although I can just as easily go with 'race/species/whatever is just fluff and social, not a mechanical bonuses' or making them hardcoded in interesting ways. -It just sucks when a race I have no interest in has the ideal mechanics I wanna use, or something I wanna play is a subpar match up. Hell same with classes if they're meant to have an in-setting meaning with lore attachments.

I mean specifically in those situations where the different races are basically just humans with different cosmetic traits, cultures, and the occasional token "weird power" like darksight or the ability to enter a trance instead of sleeping to rest or whatever. I'm not talking like situations where there's Stellaris-level species differences.

If they're that different, I would call them species instead of races.

Lemon-Lime posted:

The fact that lalafells on the Source are considered "spoken" while lalafells on the First are called dwarves and are considered a beast tribe does a lot to highlight the issues with social and racial inequality in FF14, and even in-lore and in-world the politics of dehumanizing other sapient peoples are noted as being deeply hypocritical and self-serving. Much like in real life.

From what I've seen, though, hyur, elezen, au ra, and roegadyn are capable of interbreeding, however rare such instances are. And I could've sworn G'raha Tia was a miqote descendant of an infamous hyuran emperor.

Runa fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Jan 25, 2020

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

Xarbala posted:

From what I've seen, though, hyur, elezen, au ra, and roegadyn are capable of interbreeding, however rare such instances are. And I could've sworn G'raha Tia was a miqote descendant of an infamous hyuran emperor.

Nah, not actually a descendent just a bunch of magitechnobabble.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Meinberg posted:

Nah, not actually a descendent just a bunch of magitechnobabble.

Huh.

Welp.

Pieces of Peace
Jul 8, 2006
Hazardous in small doses.

slap me and kiss me posted:

Every species has a different and unique 4e power, no matter what game you're actually playing.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
Hey folks. Just a heads up that the resolution thread is going away soon, so get those resolutions in if you haven't already!

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Even so, we have evidence that at least Elezen and Hyur can interbreed because there's an NPC who's half and half. They haven't introduced any other canon crosses but they're at least all physically compatible from tavern talk and fireside japes.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

They've stated that they can all interbreed, but only barely.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

BinaryDoubts posted:

If you absolutely have to have stats, the only good ones are Mind, Body, and Soul (ie Int, Str+Dex+Con, and Cha+Wis).

Correct. And obviously the best system would be the one that uses those three attributes.

Oh. Ohh.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Strength, skill and magic should be the ability scores, just like in flawless video game series Fable

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

The four true ability scores are as follows:

Gravity
Electromagnetism
Weak Nuclear
Strong Nuclear

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Meinberg posted:

Gravity
Electromagnetism
Weak Nuclear
Strong Nuclear
Could definitely merge weak nuclear and electromagnetic, man.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Eh, Rules As Physics doesn't do it for me.

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck

My Lovely Horse posted:

Boo

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Meinberg posted:

Gravity
Electromagnetism
Weak Nuclear
Strong Nuclear

so what happens if I have a high weak nuclear and a low strong nuclear, I don't know physics but that feels like a poorly optimized build

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

sexpig by night posted:

so what happens if I have a high weak nuclear and a low strong nuclear, I don't know physics but that feels like a poorly optimized build

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

My Lovely Horse posted:

:golfclap:

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

My Lovely Horse posted:

Yeah, but this one still has a strong grasp of the fundamentals.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

Lemon-Lime posted:

Ok this sounds really neat and better than "Wlves get +2 to bows, live in the woods and hate Dwarves."

One of the things I think was a good idea in Strike! Was removing the race part of origin, but making it your culture. Infact, I'm putting together cultural liefepaths for my next 4e game for that reason, which role several different "races", backgrounds and themes into a geographic setting.

I get that D&D races are closer to species, but it sucks having mono-racial societies as a setting conceit.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Moriatti posted:

Ok this sounds really neat and better than "Wlves get +2 to bows, live in the woods and hate Dwarves."

One of the things I think was a good idea in Strike! Was removing the race part of origin, but making it your culture. Infact, I'm putting together cultural liefepaths for my next 4e game for that reason, which role several different "races", backgrounds and themes into a geographic setting.

I get that D&D races are closer to species, but it sucks having mono-racial societies as a setting conceit.

yea FF14 actually does a very good job examining this stuff, including a bit an expansion ago where the leader of the evil empire basically hits the heroes' pride by going 'oh yea I'm the bad guy but you guys do genocide and call it noble just as much'. Like, obviously no poo poo he is the badguy because he's a magic nazi, but still, it's a major popular MMO that directly addresses race as a purely political tool more than biological determinism.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

The idea that "definition of a species" = can't interbreed is pernicious and incorrect. IRL taxonomists struggle to define clear species boundaries, and in order to function, classifications in different branches of the life tree have to have different sets of guidelines and determinitive factors, and even then, deeply nerdy but intense arguments between biologists abound.

IMO roleplaying games with multiple different "kinds of people" (whether you call them races or species) are way too intent on explicitly deciding "well, can they gently caress? and make babies?" anyway, but if you're going to address that question in your game, it'd be great if you'd not then describe your decisions as defining species boundaries. And if you assign different mechanical abilities to your "races" and then also decide they can have babies, now you've painted yourself into a really lovely game design corner when it comes to stats for the offspring. So maybe just don't do that.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Wasn't there a game that had a ridiculous chart of who could breed with what but had like pixies on it.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Kwyndig posted:

Wasn't there a game that had a ridiculous chart of who could breed with what but had like pixies on it.

ah, the book of erotic fantasy...

TheArchimage
Dec 17, 2008

Kwyndig posted:

Sounds like Ardwin, an alternate setting for REIGN. The two gimmicks were that it was a fantasy setting with no humans, and literally all the playable races could have offspring with each other leading to some nature/nurture arguments.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Is it me or would Earthdawn work kinda well with a Dark Souls style setting? Mostly the way Karma mechanics function.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

In my experience, the only time treating races/species as a good, meaningful choice was in Burning Wheel where it had a whole separate life-path mechanic that let you meaningfully distinguish one random elf from another, but also when you made a character of one "race" it really felt differently from making another.

But I also hate most implementations of race-as-mechanics and am a sucker for Burning Wheel's life-path system so I might be biased.

Parkreiner
Oct 29, 2011

TheArchimage posted:

Sounds like Ardwin, an alternate setting for REIGN. The two gimmicks were that it was a fantasy setting with no humans, and literally all the playable races could have offspring with each other leading to some nature/nurture arguments.

“Some” nothing, the setting foregrounds it by making the two main axes of character creation the skill & ability package you get from your ethnicity (born an orc) and the one you get from your culture (raised as a dwarf).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Moriatti posted:

Technically, the races do have a stat adjustment, it's just the numbers get so high so quickly that they become irrelevant.