Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

This logic is 100% spot on, but for some reason I tended to build my Z to hang back at longer range on previous runs. Gonna try to make it a brawler when I get one this time around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ardlen
Sep 30, 2005
WoT

RBA Starblade posted:

I keep trying to fit a UAC20 into the Z and I just can't do it without it being a too hot piece of poo poo or just a piece of poo poo
I've done it. Just need the ++ version and then put in two inferno++s and maybe a tag.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Best thing coming with the 1.9 update:

some guy on the Paradox forum posted:

Convoy Mission Fixes: a new Short Range AI Pathing algorithm is being combined with a past Successful Long Range AI Pathing; Convoy Vehicles will now be able to pass through each other as well as the Player’s BattleMechs (though they will not stop on pips if they are occupied; and lastly Convoy Missions will now Auto-Complete if all Enemies have been destroyed.

:hmmyes:

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

Stravag posted:

Unless its two of the three banshees in which case its a mediocre medium

The two lovely Banshees are better than the Zeus, they can be turned into effective, brawling punchbots. The Zeus will always be a fat Dragon.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Pyronic posted:

Do we have any idea if HBS is actually planning Battletech 2 or is it all just rumors. I've spent all day watching the Battletech Cartoon on youtube and now I really want some Clan action in the Battletech engine.

I started playing in BT land with MechWarrior 2 so give me my goddamned Dire Wolves and Timber Wolves with their glorious Nippon Steel clan tech.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Organ Fiend posted:

As others have pointed out, the cyclops is at a disadvantage, as it is an overengined assault. You can use them, but you have to play to their advantages over 75/70 ton mechs that have the same speed and more available tonnage.

The main advantages the cyclops has over heavies, by virtue of being an assault, are higher maximum armor and higher melee damage. These two things suggest a brawler/infighter build. The other thing you'll want to do is make sure your build runs hot, and then use a pilot with coolant flush. The best way to squeeze maximum firepower out of limited tonnage is to use low tonnage, high heat weapons, so MLs, SRMs, and snPPCs. The fact that you're running hot also synergizes well with melee attacks. You'll want to skip JJs, as they're two tons each, and the Cyclops is already low on tonnage. I usually go with a brawler (coolant flush/evasive movement) pilot for the cyclops. Also, getting piloting 7 (where you get 20% more sprint) is really important, since you won't be carrying JJs. An evasive/bulwark pilot with piloting 7 can sprint into cover, building up a huge amount of evasion, and also getting the damage reduction, which is great for getting in close.

Beyond those general guidelines, you have to play to the strengths of each of the two Cyclopses.

For the Q, you have to use the fact that it has so many more missile hardpoints than any other mech. I ran 30 SRMs on mine (4xSRM6, 3xSRM2, all +++, SRM2 in CT for gyro space) with 3 tons of ammo (10 alphas). It does incredible amounts of shotgun damage. With Heavy Metal, I might drop one of the SRM2s and add a Narc beacon for maximum damage. Armor is near maximum, of course. If you feel like running hotter, this config has 3 HS that you could drop to add 3xML or to upgrade the SRM2s to SRM4s. Another possibility I've never tried is to run an LRM build with a focus on LRM5s. Hardpoint space aside, LRM5s are the best LRM launcher in the game, as they have the lowest base tonnage to missile ratio of any LRM launcher. Take your LRM15x3 build. You're currently spending 3x7=21 tons on launchers. You have 4 hardpoints free, so you could turn two of those LRM15s into 3xLRM5. With six LRM5s and one LRM15 you are spending (6x2)+7 = 19 tons on launchers. You have two more tons to spend on ammo, or whatever else. Personally, I'm not a fan, as there are other mechs that do LRMs better.

For the Z, you have to build your lance around its battle computer. Basically, team it up with assaults that use/need coolant flush pilots. This makes your entire lance go at initiative 2 without using MT. For weapons I go with 6xML, SRM4, SRM6 and 1 ton of ammo. When you get ML++s and SRM+++s, this thing can easily core out mechs through the back, take off side torsos and legs, and in general is a great infighter. I build this mech in every single career I've run since the Cyclops came out. Its that good. You could even drop HS (and maybe two MLs, one in each arm) to add punch mods, but I've never tried this. I've been experimenting with snPPCs, but don't have a winning config yet.

Thanks for all that!

I mocked it up with SRMs and it just looked so drat hot I swapped back over to LRMs :shobon: I do have a +40 arm mod I could wedge in there too if that’s a good use of tonnage on the SRM build.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

the yeti posted:

Thanks for all that!

I mocked it up with SRMs and it just looked so drat hot I swapped back over to LRMs :shobon: I do have a +40 arm mod I could wedge in there too if that’s a good use of tonnage on the SRM build.

I personally don't like arm mods that much, except for the 0 weight ones and the 1 ton +60 damage one.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

BrotherJayne posted:

Oooo now I kinda want to try a career start with a Catapult, a Jenner, and some Locusts.

It'll be like playing mama duck and the ducklings!

A King Crab and 3 Crabs for me.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

RBA Starblade posted:

I keep trying to fit a UAC20 into the Z and I just can't do it without it being a too hot piece of poo poo or just a piece of poo poo

Gauss Rifle and two Inferno SRM++s :ssh:

Suddenly you have a Cyclops Z that can score BS ammo crits while juggling two 'Mechs at once.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

PoptartsNinja posted:

Gauss Rifle and two Inferno SRM++s :ssh:

Suddenly you have a Cyclops Z that can score BS ammo crits while juggling two 'Mechs at once.

I've only seen like two regular infernos but if I ever get bigger ones I'll have to try that

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

And Tyler Too! posted:

... I wanted to Squawk, but I guess I could clitterclatter

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
Is there somewhere I can read the full "rulebook" for hbs battletech?

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Q_res posted:

The two lovely Banshees are better than the Zeus, they can be turned into effective, brawling punchbots. The Zeus will always be a fat Dragon.

Honestly i would take the zeus over either banshee

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU
Probably gonna pick up Urban Warfare and Heavy Metal while the season pass is on sale.

Am I correct that I have been reading in this thread that Heavy Metal increases the basic chance of finding LosTech on the Black Market?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Zarin posted:

Probably gonna pick up Urban Warfare and Heavy Metal while the season pass is on sale.

Am I correct that I have been reading in this thread that Heavy Metal increases the basic chance of finding LosTech on the Black Market?

I started this campaign on a planet with a DHS, small pulse lasers and more

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

RBA Starblade posted:

I started this campaign on a planet with a DHS, small pulse lasers and more

Well then :stare:

I had tried to mod my vanilla/flashpoint install to find more LosTech but it didn't seem to work and I gave up.

Wondering if I should back up my save files and do a clean install with base game + DLCs just to make sure whatever I did doesn't mess anything up for the new DLCs

Pyronic
Oct 1, 2008

ROYAL RAINWHARRGARBL

And Tyler Too! posted:

Crab Rave? Excellent choice.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Zarin posted:

Well then :stare:

I had tried to mod my vanilla/flashpoint install to find more LosTech but it didn't seem to work and I gave up.

Wondering if I should back up my save files and do a clean install with base game + DLCs just to make sure whatever I did doesn't mess anything up for the new DLCs

I'm going to be so mad when the lostech all explodes off my lovely vindicator and assassin but drat it if I don't want to use it all asap

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Pyronic posted:

Crab Rave? Excellent choice.

. . . . annnnnd now I need to listen to that song. I had forgotten it existed!

RBA Starblade posted:

I'm going to be so mad when the lostech all explodes off my lovely vindicator and assassin but drat it if I don't want to use it all asap

Gotta spend parts to make parts!

At least with it being somewhat more common now, maybe I'll feel like losing a DHS is a painful, if surmountable, setback. (Whereas when it was rare as hell, it was an unacceptable loss)

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
One Atlas, three UrbanMechs.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Star Man posted:

One Atlas, three UrbanMechs.

4 of the AC20 Urbanmech variants.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

sean10mm posted:

4 of the AC20 Urbanmech variants.

The tournament of champions owns btw

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

RBA Starblade posted:

The tournament of champions owns btw

How insane an Urbanmech can you build with lostech?

UAC20++ would be HILARIOUS

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Early in my last career, I ran an Urbie with UAC2 and LBX/5. It was very effective.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

sean10mm posted:

How insane an Urbanmech can you build with lostech?

UAC20++ would be HILARIOUS

You could do a uac20 and small pulse and it'd probably only occasionally blow itself up

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Zarin posted:

Not only is LosTech more common on Black Markets, it got significantly buffed and can spawn +/++ upgrades. Pulse Lasers are no longer the comedy option, Gauss Rifles can inflict thru-armor crits, etc.

GHOST_BUTT
Nov 24, 2013

Fun Shoe

sean10mm posted:

This logic is 100% spot on, but for some reason I tended to build my Z to hang back at longer range on previous runs. Gonna try to make it a brawler when I get one this time around.

I still do this and just put LRMs and long range UACs and as much armor on it as possible. That +1 initiative really outweighs its lack of damage output: I can do a lot more with three assaults on count 2 than I can with an extra hundred damage and change.

Like maybe it's mathematically suboptimal but my experience with the Z-variant is that if enemies can shoot back at it, it always gets headcapped by some bullshit. Maybe it's just superstition but I don't put it on the front lines anymore.

Q_res posted:

This is probably technically true but if you're early enough in the campaign that you're still getting 1.5 difficulty missions, a Zeus is going to gently caress poo poo up all over the place until probably, like, Weldry at least.

GHOST_BUTT fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Jan 24, 2020

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

RBA Starblade posted:

more like buttholetech ehehehe

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

GHOST_BUTT posted:

I still do this and just put LRMs and long range UACs and as much armor on it as possible. That +1 initiative really outweighs its lack of damage output: I can do a lot more with three assaults on count 2 than I can with an extra hundred damage and change.

Like maybe it's mathematically suboptimal but my experience with the Z-variant is that if enemies can shoot back at it, it always gets headcapped by some bullshit. Maybe it's just superstition but I don't put it on the front lines anymore.

This is probably technically true but if you're early enough in the campaign that you're still getting 1.5 difficulty missions, a Zeus is going to gently caress poo poo up all over the place until probably, like, Weldry at least.

In some ways, it makes sense not to expose what is essentially a command asset to enemy fire.

On the other, Battletech seems to prefer that you try and spread shots across your mechs to minimize the amount of damage any individual mech takes.

Does this mean I don't just brick tank one mech and let the other three fire support? gently caress no it doesn't! But that's not mathematically optimal.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

PJOmega posted:

Is there somewhere I can read the full "rulebook" for hbs battletech?

I think you want the wiki for genenral 'how do game work?' https://battletech.gamepedia.com/Battletech_Wiki

Tabletop is a completely different monster

GHOST_BUTT
Nov 24, 2013

Fun Shoe

Warmachine posted:

In some ways, it makes sense not to expose what is essentially a command asset to enemy fire.

On the other, Battletech seems to prefer that you try and spread shots across your mechs to minimize the amount of damage any individual mech takes.

Does this mean I don't just brick tank one mech and let the other three fire support? gently caress no it doesn't! But that's not mathematically optimal.

Oh, for sure, I'm not going to pretend that it's optimal, and like I said it may just be entirely superstition, but losing the +1 initiative across the whole lance when a brawling Cyclops seemingly inevitably takes one to the dome usually screws up whatever I'm planning way worse than taking a little structure damage on a BSK or whatever. If my other guys take a few more hits because I'm juggling fire between three mechs instead of four... well, okay.

Falcorum
Oct 21, 2010
How bad of an idea is it to have a lance where each mech has 4xInfernos++? On non-polar that is

I just want to watch the world burn :v:

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

If youre running the mod that gives a chance to have ammo cookoff on overheat its a fantastic idea

Organ Fiend
May 21, 2007

custom title

the yeti posted:

Thanks for all that!

The config I remember for the Q was 30 SRMs (doesn't matter which combo of launchers), 3 tons of ammo, 3 HS, and near max armor (hit the max armor button, drop rear torsos to 75, and reduce in other locations till you get a whole number).

On a pilot with coolant flush, it works fine.

EDIT: precision strike on head with a tactics 9 pilot is virtually a guaranteed tap on the head.

Organ Fiend fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Jan 25, 2020

Organ Fiend
May 21, 2007

custom title

sean10mm posted:

Well, that's because its a "command mech" with a very important piece of electronics. Instinct says to keep mechs like that back.

However, if you're at the point (and you should be, late game, when you get a Z) where you aren't losing mechs (and rarely even taking much internal damage), then there's no reason for that mech not to be up in the thick of things. Seriously, the 6xML, 10xSRM config is perfect for it (SRM4 goes in the CT for Gyro space).

Organ Fiend
May 21, 2007

custom title

BrotherJayne posted:

... I wanted to Squawk, but I guess I could clitterclatter

You would march (scuttle).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eTosgp5kjas

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

New campaign and the first mech I salvage is a GRASSHOPPER :laffo:

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Pyronic posted:

You reminded me that the Battletech cartoon exists and that I absolutely love it. I had some of the huge mechs from the series too, and my love of the Bushwhacker came from the toy and Mechwarrior 3.

Watch out, it's Nikolai Malthus, Kristen Redmond and her Mad Dog BattleMech Escalator, two off-color and off-model Mad Cats and a Hunchback IIC! And some ostriches!

Fortunately, the Somerset Strikers are here to run away fight them off!

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Did you have to build the escaltor?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
Sheeeet, hit the Mauler dead center and the pilot will be puzzled why he's airborne instead of shooting.