Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

https://twitter.com/realdonaldtrump/status/1220821545746141187?s=21

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Timby posted:

They've discussed having him in season 2, but they have very explicitly said that neither Geordi nor Worf are in this season, and that at one point they considered not bringing back any TNG cast members, because they wanted the show to stand on its own and not feel like TNG: The Return.

https://twitter.com/StephenAtHome/status/1220728753703309312?s=20

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
Who is Admiral Aken Bosch, and what is that old scoundrel up to?
god is dead

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Section 31 logo will be unveiled soon.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Someone edit that Tweet so it’s the Terran Empire logo

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Christ, how many trekkie nerds in the upper echelons of the military just have massive, painful erections

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

Humerus posted:

What I really liked about Picard episode 1 was that Picard actually lives up to the ideals of the Federation and Starfleet* to a fault. He's like the human Worf.
gently caress I hope Worf is in Picard eventually.

*Except for when he did purposely violate the Prime Directive to save Wesley on the death sentence planet

That was, indeed, good, but I was pretty annoyed by the implication that Mars getting attacked meant the Federation, and Starfleet, decided to leave all the Romulans to die (except for what few Picard managed to get to safety).

Starfleet is made up by people like Picard. The crew of the Enterprise, or DS9, or...other vessels/stations/units may be exceptional ones, but they are extremely representative of all the people serving in Starfleet, and to a similar degree, the Federation as a whole.

80%, minimum, of Starfleet should have said 'gently caress these orders' and gone rogue to join Picard to save the Romulans. Hundreds of ships, all warping out alongside the Enterprise and mentioning they had some subspace communication issues keeping from from getting that weird message from Headquarters earlier in a veritable tapestry of other captains' faces appearing on the Enterprise's viewscreen as every single one of them hails him to announce they're there to help.

It was really disappointing, and I hope it's rectified to at least some degree, but the whole goddamn point of Starfleet and the Federation is that they are a more enlightened, better society than our own, overall. They're the kind of people that, if they get a super lovely order that violates the oaths they took to the Federation's ideals, are more likely to ignore it than they are to comply and claim later that they were just following orders.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Yeah, just the AFSC logo put into a circle, basically what I expected. (Since Space Force is just AFSC given its own branch and absorbing some other operations). Using the orbit from the NASA logo is a nice little graphical tribute without going overboard, nice work on whoever did that bit.

Arrowhead/delta/chevrons are basically compulsory for agencies to do with space, anyway.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Jan 25, 2020

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

EimiYoshikawa posted:

It was really disappointing, and I hope it's rectified to at least some degree, but the whole goddamn point of Starfleet and the Federation is that they are a more enlightened, better society than our own, overall. They're the kind of people that, if they get a super lovely order that violates the oaths they took to the Federation's ideals, are more likely to ignore it than they are to comply and claim later that they were just following orders.

I think one of the things Star Trek has shown, over and over, is that, regardless of what you think of Federation society, human nature hasn't changed. That's what makes it an optimistic show...it suggests that the capability to make a better world is in us.

But along with that, if we have it in us to be better, the people of the Federation have it in them to be worse. The Federation utopia, such as it is, is bought with cheap energy bit its maintained by vigilance. And we've seen this throughout Star Trek too. There's a reason that it's a recurring joke that all admirals are evil. TNG episodes like Measure of A Man and the Drumhead work because, while Picard prevails in the end, there's a real desire among some of the population to scapegoat somebody with Romulan blood or to build a race of disposable robot slaves
In DS9, you see the abandonment of settlers along the Cardassian border for the sake of peace, and you also see an attempted Starfleet coup because of fear of the Founders.

It goes back to TOS. In "A Taste of Armageddon", Kirk admits that humanity is a species of instinctual killers, "But the instinct can be fought. We're human beings with the blood of a million savage years on our hands, but we can stop it. We can admit that we're killers, but we're not going to kill today"

So it's not unbelievable that the Federation could get worse.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

EimiYoshikawa posted:

That was, indeed, good, but I was pretty annoyed by the implication that Mars getting attacked meant the Federation, and Starfleet, decided to leave all the Romulans to die (except for what few Picard managed to get to safety).

Starfleet is made up by people like Picard. The crew of the Enterprise, or DS9, or...other vessels/stations/units may be exceptional ones, but they are extremely representative of all the people serving in Starfleet, and to a similar degree, the Federation as a whole.

80%, minimum, of Starfleet should have said 'gently caress these orders' and gone rogue to join Picard to save the Romulans. Hundreds of ships, all warping out alongside the Enterprise and mentioning they had some subspace communication issues keeping from from getting that weird message from Headquarters earlier in a veritable tapestry of other captains' faces appearing on the Enterprise's viewscreen as every single one of them hails him to announce they're there to help.

I don't disagree and I think it would have been more likely that Starfleet scaled the operation back and not just dropped it altogether-like those ships were already out in former Romulan space, surely? But it does make sense that a huge attack like that would make them circle the wagons, and since the Utopia Planitia fleetyard was destroyed it makes sense they may want to limit the risks their ships are exposed to.

Getting into speculation territory but I'll spoil it because some of it was in the episode:
There's obviously going to be a lot of Romulan resentment about the Federation abandoning them after promising to help, and I'm sure the Borg cube that's being reconstructed will play into the big revenge (sub?)plot that is coming.
Guess it might be time to check out the other thread though

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Lmao Donald trump made Star Trek real. fine.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

https://twitter.com/DPRK_News/status/1220857978036711424

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Yeah I thought it was weird that a synthetic super-terrorist attack on Mars prompted the Federation to abandon the Romulan relief effort.

I wonder what it is exactly that makes Star Trek so obsessed with terror attacks. Was the television producer class so scarred by 9/11? Terrorism has never touched me or anyone I know.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Arglebargle III posted:

Yeah I thought it was weird that a synthetic super-terrorist attack on Mars prompted the Federation to abandon the Romulan relief effort.

I wonder what it is exactly that makes Star Trek so obsessed with terror attacks. Was the television producer class so scarred by 9/11? Terrorism has never touched me or anyone I know.
All of that stuff is post-9/11. First the Xindi attack, then the ST:ID thing with Khan, now this (there may be another one I am forgetting)

Funny thing is, the best terrorism-related episode is that DS9 episode from like 1996 where the moral of the story is that you don't give in to fear or it will rule you.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Lmfao :riker:

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

FlamingLiberal posted:

All of that stuff is post-9/11. First the Xindi attack, then the ST:ID thing with Khan, now this (there may be another one I am forgetting)

Funny thing is, the best terrorism-related episode is that DS9 episode from like 1996 where the moral of the story is that you don't give in to fear or it will rule you.

Star Trek was far from the only television series to take a serious post-9/11 shift.

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!
The hope is at least the Picard show will perpetuate how wrong and short sighted that attitude is, rather than poo poo out the hard times call for hard decisions narrative that is pushed in shows like (early) Discovery, which clearly comes from a more cynical (and sadly realistic) reflection of modern times, rather than the utopian ideal dream future implied in TNG.

Edit:

I think it fits narratively as well as a call for action for a 92 year old Picard to be inspired to come out of retirement. Most other scenarios probably would have felt pretty forced or looked silly.

Isometric Bacon fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Jan 25, 2020

Evek
Apr 26, 2002

"It's okay. I wouldn't remember me either."

Timby posted:

Star Trek was far from the only television series to take a serious post-9/11 shift.

24 is the most hilarious one.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I mean I know, but when 9/11 happened, nobody I knew was affected even to two degrees of separation. It's so nuts that it became such an obsession that even now the first episode of a 2020 science fiction drama invents a literal super-powered terrorist attack.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

9/11 is a cultural scar that will affect us for decades. It's like Pearl Harbor, or Sharon Tate's murder, or the JFK assassination, the Challenger explosion, stuff like that. Things that we think of being 100% safe and secure are shown devastatingly to be vulnerable, and it breaks our brains. It doesn't matter the scale or the reason behind it or the flawed reasoning that led the culture to the false belief that those things couldn't happen. Those things then leave profound aftershocks in the culture - everything from somber remembrances to stories of reflection to silliness and gallows humor.

It's how we cope.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Someone needs to go grab James Cromwell and keep him sober in case first contact happens soon.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Evek posted:

24 is the most hilarious one.

How so? Genuinely curious because I'm not aware of anything about that. The show began airing November 2001 (honestly kind of surprising they allowed it that soon, since those first few months they usually erred on the side of sensitivity). Obviously that means the first run was in the can before 9/11, but I feel like the show was very "post-9/11" from the start anyway.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nnRPom8PlA0

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Arglebargle III posted:

I mean I know, but when 9/11 happened, nobody I knew was affected even to two degrees of separation. It's so nuts that it became such an obsession that even now the first episode of a 2020 science fiction drama invents a literal super-powered terrorist attack.

Respectfully, the fact that nobody you knew was affected even remotely doesn't decrease the fact that it was a massively traumatic event for millions of people directly. I agree with ashpanash; it's a cultural scar rivalled IMO only by Pearl Harbor in scope.

BUT I also think that not every terrorist attack in a modern TV show is a 9/11 analogy, but terrorism in general is basically an ubiquitous part of many peoples' lives at this point. I have noticed that the trend in depicting them in media slowly seems to be turning towards the actual major source of American terrorism these days (aka white supremacists and nazis) instead of brown people.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Isometric Bacon posted:

The hope is at least the Picard show will perpetuate how wrong and short sighted that attitude is, rather than poo poo out the hard times call for hard decisions narrative that is pushed in shows like (early) Discovery, which clearly comes from a more cynical (and sadly realistic) reflection of modern times, rather than the utopian ideal dream future implied in TNG.

In the pilot two-parter of Star Trek: Discovery, Michael Burnham does some “hard decisions” in response to the hard times, it goes very badly for everyone, she is then court-martialled from Starfleet, and the show depicts this punishment as justified.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Comrade Fakename posted:

In the pilot two-parter of Star Trek: Discovery, Michael Burnham does some “hard decisions” in response to the hard times, it goes very badly for everyone, she is then court-martialled from Starfleet, and the show depicts this punishment as justified.

And then the entire rest of the show is more Hard Choices which seem to be justified over and over and she completely escapes her punishment and is effectively promoted to Heroine

Then in an epic tell, not show, she makes an impassioned speech about Starfleet, but unlike when JeanLuc does it, it rings completely hollow

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
I think the Mars thing alone is really dumb seeing as though Earth got attacked by random aliens that killed 7 million people in seconds and then a year or so later is forming major coalitions with other aliens and overcoming xenophobia within their population but a shipyard getting nuked is the end of utopia.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Arglebargle III posted:

Japan made Godzilla. We made a million superhero films where buildings come crashing down on a big, New York-lookin' city.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Pick posted:

Lmao Donald trump made Star Trek real. fine.

Yeah we live in the mirror universe. Our Spock will have a goatee.

bennyfactor
Nov 21, 2008

Fidel Cuckstro posted:

They seem to actually understand Picard as a character as opposed to just doing Patrick Stewart epic guy.

Pleased to read from all the above posts that the first Picard episode has some nuance and understanding of the characters, etc. But, Patrick Stewart Epic Guy specifically made me think of those old ytmnds like http://epicpacardhair.ytmnd.com

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

Thom12255 posted:

I think the Mars thing alone is really dumb seeing as though Earth got attacked by random aliens that killed 7 million people in seconds and then a year or so later is forming major coalitions with other aliens and overcoming xenophobia within their population but a shipyard getting nuked is the end of utopia.

Let me try to explain why I don't think it's necessarily dumb via analogy.

Given the right pressures, Latin has evolved into Spanish. Given different pressures, Latin has also evolved into French. Spanish and French keep evolving. You know what doesn't evolve? Latin. Because it's dead.

(Edit: I'm posting in a Trek thread so surely someone will make a technical argument about how it is still in use in the sciences and in some small circles so it is still being added to and is not dead in that sense. I know. There are always exceptions. I'm using it here as a generalization for the purposes of analogy.)

ashpanash fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Jan 25, 2020

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I'm finally getting to watch Picard. So far, the theme song is really lovely and gives me chills. And somehow, it makes me appreciate the Discovery theme more as part of the "family."

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Thom12255 posted:

Both are attempts to deal with the idea of 9/11 through Star Trek, and when each story was done says something.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

Regarding the new Picard episode has anyone said this yet?

Data five-queens.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Blind Rasputin posted:

Data five-queens.

Someone needs to make a Johnny Five Aces but with Data and 5 queens.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Blind Rasputin posted:

Data five-queens.

There. Are. Four. Balls on the edge of a cliff.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Blind Rasputin posted:

Data five-queens.
Please, Geordi. He had a family.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.
Plus, I mean, I know I'm a DS9 fan, so nothing else in the franchise will ever acknowledge my existence, but there was that whole Dominion War thing, where millions upon millions of Starfleet officers and Federation Civilians gave their lives just a few years before the Romulan Supernova. The Federation came out of it stronger than it had ever been, unafraid of the sacrifices they had to make to defend their ideals and their society.

Millions of those starfleet officers also served alongside the Romulans on the front lines of battle, fighting and dying as brothers-in-arms alongside the Romulans and the Klingons. The alliance was still in place, as far as anyone knows, barring Shinzon (ugh, acknowledging Nemesis hurts me) and his terrorist bullshit, even then against whom Starfleet allied with Romulan officers to bring him down and defend the peace.

Brushing it off as 'oh Romulans are bad we don't actually like them' kind of ignores all of that, on top of being a generally terrible anti-Federation-ideals belief, and going all huddled isolationist because "the synths" killed a mere 7 million people on Mars and blew up Utopia Planitia ignores the fact that they just fought an enormous war that killed hundreds of times that many people, one they even managed to acknowledge the existence of in the TNG movies, so they couldn't quite pretend it never happened like the rest of DS9.

It just...annoys me...because I have to pretend any of this makes sense and doesn't spit in DS9's face on top of the whole 'Starfleet is made up of a majority of people like the best of the Enterprise's crew, evil admirals are the distinct minority to be ignored/rebelled against, it's BS that pretty much the entirety of Starfleet would just shrug and let all the Romulans die when told to' thing I already posted about.

If this was just Discovery 2.0, I'd be fine, but it was better than I'd feared, and it's clearly trying to be better in the classic trek way, and they're handicapping themselves, and I'm sad about it.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Thom12255 posted:

In fairness, there us nothing so far saying the utopia is over. People in the Federation are seemingly fed and cared for domestically, the government isn't shown to be some Orwellian surveilance state or anything. All we know is that the space military had a major policy shift.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

There. Are. Four. Lights!