Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

LODGE NORTH posted:

Are your contacts dirty?

The look clean. I suppose I should try cleaning the contacts.

All my retro console stuff is used... I lost all my pristine retro console stuff in a house fire and insurance was like “replace it all or we will give you like 10% of its value”. So many of these games I have not even tested before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bank
Feb 20, 2004

Astro7x posted:

Is it possible for N64 games to just die?

I have two N64s, so I tested it on both. Was playing WWF No Mercy just fine. Then I put in the original Smash Bros and nothing happens when I power it up. Then put in WWF No Mercy again and it did the same thing. Put in a few other games and no other problems. But Smash and No Mercy just do not work.

What gives?

I've had a similar issue happen before and it was due to the expansion card. Contacts were clean but for whatever reason reseating it 2-3 times fixed it. Cartridges shouldn't be dead though.

Pegnose Pete
Apr 27, 2005

the future
RE: PS2 vs PS3, I always say this but if you have a PVM or any nice 480i display definitely go the PS2 route. 480i gets a bad rap but playing on a proper monitor like that is a great experience. I haven't compared directly to an OSSC or Framemeister but from what I understand neither really nail the 480i experience.

Also most of the Megaten games were reprinted semi-recently and can be had new on Amazon for dirt cheap, with the exception of the Devil Summoner Raidou games which went up in price last time I checked.

Oh, and one more thing with those titles is they tend to make heavy use of motion blur. It was popular at the time and made things looks CINEMATIC (see GTA 3) but I find even on a PVM it's distracting and kind of disappointing how poorly the effect had aged.

Oh and one more one more thing, I've compared the digital download PS2 Classic versions of DDS and SMT Nocturne on my 480p Trinitron just for fun to see which version did the deinterlacing better. While I don't think it's fair to say the PS2 Classic is deinterlacing in the technical sense of the word, I found even over RGsB the PS3 download looked significantly worse than my Trinitron deinterlacing the PS2 directly. I have a nice Japanese Trinitron with RGB though so YMMV.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

Pegnose Pete posted:

Also most of the Megaten games were reprinted semi-recently and can be had new on Amazon for dirt cheap, with the exception of the Devil Summoner Raidou games which went up in price last time I checked.

Yep, I picked up most of them brand new off ebay last year for ~$10 a pop

absolutely anything posted:

heres my response: shin megami tensei nocture is bad rear end

:yeah:

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
N64 carts are actually kinda fragile, for carts, due to the design of the shell. There's a reinforcement rib that sits directly on the thinnest part of the contact fingers that go into the cart, and if you're particularly rough on your games the rib can actually break the traces just above the visible part of the fingers. It's also really good at holding spilled liquid directly on vulnerable parts, so just all around a bad cart design.

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~

al-azad posted:

Probably Star Cruiser.

this is the one. thank you!

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

my experience with backwards compatible ps3s are "this thing will absolutely loving die" so i'd go ps2

(or hold out for the ps5 announcement and see if the "it's backwards compatible with everything" rumor is true)

As much as I would love for this to be true, poking around google makes it look like real pie in the sky wishful thinking. Or it's secret code for we (Sony) dumped more poo poo on PSN for you guys. If it does pan out I'd be another moron to buy it on launch if only to play my PS3 games on something other than an actual PS3. Mine's a slim but I always worry about the little space heater every time I try to use it.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I’m not holding my breath either but Sony still has a patent on what is basically an Emotion engine in a box that acts as a pass through. The technology has always been there for an add-on PS2 but Sony loves making failed garbage that is conceptually good but always under baked.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Pegnose Pete posted:

One of my big purchasing regrets is seeing a copy of Raidou vs The Soulless Army in a JB Hi-Fi for relatively cheap years ago and not grabbing it on-sight :sigh:. The going rate for a PAL copy is now about $220AUD, going by eBay.

Pegnose Pete
Apr 27, 2005

the future

Neddy Seagoon posted:

One of my big purchasing regrets is seeing a copy of Raidou vs The Soulless Army in a JB Hi-Fi for relatively cheap years ago and not grabbing it on-sight :sigh:. The going rate for a PAL copy is now about $220AUD, going by eBay.

:same:
When I bought the DDS pair, P3FES and SMT3, the Raidou games were still 20 dollars Canadian a piece. I figured I'd order those and P4 just to have a complete set but never got around to it and I'm kicking myself.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Pegnose Pete posted:

:same:
When I bought the DDS pair, P3FES and SMT3, the Raidou games were still 20 dollars Canadian a piece. I figured I'd order those and P4 just to have a complete set but never got around to it and I'm kicking myself.

Oh the others I got and hold onto dearly, it was just one of those "eh, it's DIFFERENT from them so I'm not interested..." moments at the time that I'm kicking myself for a decade later. Raidou 2's the only one I don't have a physical copy of to complete my PAL set of SMT PS2 games. (We didn't get the first game released here)

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.
The OSSC Pro may support 480p x3

quote:

Firstly, 1920x1440 (4:3) with reduced blanking is only ~185MHz which seemed to work just fine, at least with the sample I have. It means that 240pX6 and 480pX3 should be doable after all.
https://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?p=1396926#p1396926

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Raidou 2's the only one I don't have a physical copy of to complete my PAL set of SMT PS2 games. (We didn't get the first game released here)

We didn't get Raidou 2 (vs King Abaddon), we did get Soulless Army (Raidou 1)

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

my experience with backwards compatible ps3s are "this thing will absolutely loving die" so i'd go ps2

(or hold out for the ps5 announcement and see if the "it's backwards compatible with everything" rumor is true)

Wait is this an actual rumor?

punk rebel ecks posted:

BC for everything would be launch year PS5 buy for me.

Hell same.

I have a fat ps3 that is BC but at this point I’m more afraid to use the drat thing because I know it’s gonna die eventually.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

It's a pretty strong rumor, but I don't know how it's possible. The drive would have to play every successful disc media. I say that as if I know this is a hardware feat or not, but I have no idea. It just seems like something that's exponentially more expensive than just putting in a 4K/Bluray player and making everything available on PSN.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

After a little searching, I can't find a Blu-Ray drive that can't play DVDs and CDs.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

As with all things, it is proven I know nothing.

Zoph
Sep 12, 2005

Weirdly enough they disabled CD playback on the PS4 for completely arbitrary reasons.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

MarcusSA posted:

I have a fat ps3 that is BC but at this point I’m more afraid to use the drat thing because I know it’s gonna die eventually.

Aren't PS2's less reliable than PS3's? Or is the PS2 slim a reliable model?

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

punk rebel ecks posted:

Aren't PS2's less reliable than PS3's? Or is the PS2 slim a reliable model?

Early PS2s were super unreliable but those are likely all dead. Pretty much anything still working today you likely won’t have an issue with. I will say that I never heard of any issues with the slims.

The same with the PS3. Anything that is still working fine now you likely won’t have any real issues with.

Pegnose Pete
Apr 27, 2005

the future
Yeah I think only the PS2 units made in that very first run had bad issues. Unless there was another problem I think those units were ushered out within 6 months, which is right when I bought my childhood PS2 (which died from me tweaking the laser and using homemade swap magic keys).

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
My fat PS2 once died a slow death from the laser or motor slowly going bad yeaaaars ago (can't remember which now), and after it came back from Sony's repair service it's been ticking away happily ever since.

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

Astro7x posted:

Is it possible for N64 games to just die?

I have two N64s, so I tested it on both. Was playing WWF No Mercy just fine. Then I put in the original Smash Bros and nothing happens when I power it up. Then put in WWF No Mercy again and it did the same thing. Put in a few other games and no other problems. But Smash and No Mercy just do not work.

What gives?

Test them with another N64 to see if the main problem lies with the games or the system itself. My SNES recently had trouble playing several games, locking up shortly into them and/or displaying garbled graphics, and I took the offending carts to my local game shop to see if they worked in their system, and they did. I haven't diagnosed the actual problem (could be the PPU failing?) but at least I know my games don't belong in the trash.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Crossing this off the bucket list.

Level 5 and its "two fleamen in the very first screen that you're going to have to beat with a little whip" can suck it.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Digital Foundry just released a video on Cooly Skunk and wow, Hook is a game I'd completely forgotten existed despite playing a ton of it as a kid.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Jan 26, 2020

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Nate RFB posted:

Level 5 and its "two fleamen in the very first screen that you're going to have to beat with a little whip" can suck it.

Congrats man.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Nate RFB posted:

NES Konami games were so good but so bullshit difficulty. I beat Bayou Billy a couple years ago after decades of trying. I honestly have no idea how a normal, sane person is ever supposed to be the last two levels.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

Nate RFB posted:

Grats! CV1 might be the hardest NES game. Think you could go for a 1CC/no continues?

Try CV3 Akumajou Densetsu next if you're tired of CV1.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Ofecks posted:

Akumajou Densetsu is the better experience, but might be more boring than the US version for someone who just finished CV1 :v:

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Ofecks posted:

Grats! CV1 might be the hardest NES game. Think you could go for a 1CC/no continues?

I'm in no way that much of a sadist.

I do plan on trying CV3 but thinking about that final level and its insane checkpoints is already making me exhausted, even if that's me getting way ahead of myself since there's plenty of garbage before it.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

I want to say only the NA version has the nasty checkpoint at the end, but I'm not sure about that. Might just be when continuing. I do know that you take less damage per hit in AkuDen.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Other than that final checkpoint I'm inclined to say CV3 is easier than CV1, but it's been ages since I've played either.

It an all around more interesting / better game, though not to the extent it renders CV1 obsolete like Mario 3 did Mario 1.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

ItBreathes posted:

Other than that final checkpoint I'm inclined to say CV3 is easier than CV1, but it's been ages since I've played either.

I feel very much the opposite, but I'll admit I've had way more practice with 1

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

I was cleaning out some old boxes, and found this buried at the bottom:

Not a lot of info available about it online, and I gave away my PAL TV years ago.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

A Russian Famicom clone system designed like the Genesis. What a time.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
One of those famiclones would be neat to turn into a portable.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin
It's like the love child of a Mega Drive, Super Famicom and Neo Geo MVS. Wild.

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

Anyone know the best japanese ps2 models that support the ps2 hard drive?

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
How is Waterworld for the Virtual Boy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

inferis posted:

Anyone know the best japanese ps2 models that support the ps2 hard drive?

As long as it's not the slim or the very first model (JP only, which are probably all dead), any fat PS2 will work