Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

How Wonderful! posted:

Sam's Strip (December 4- December 13, 1961)

I just wanna draw attention to the fact that Humpty here is being hand-drawn from scratch in each panel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Sally Forth

Skippy (September 8, 1932)

Peanuts (January 26-27, 1973)

Funky Winkerbean, in which Cayla makes herself available to develop other people's characters.

Crankshaft

9 Chickweed Lane

Rip Haywire

Thimble Theater (August 25-26, 1936)

Out Our Way (January 15-17, 1934)

Toonerville Folks (July 24-26, 1916)

Dok's Duck, Amuck (January 26, 1913)

This definitely plays better as a straight-across strip, but I'm already behind as it is.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

Discendo Vox posted:

I just wanna draw attention to the fact that Humpty here is being hand-drawn from scratch in each panel.

Jerry Dumas talks about this a bit in his foreward to the Fantagraphics edition:

Jerry Dumas posted:

When Sam's Strip started, on October 16, 1961, there were no copy machines, or no good ones, anyway. All the Sam's Strips were drawn from scratch, laboriously penciled and inked, and research took a great deal of time. I took pride in copying an artist's work exactly, even Tenniel's Alice in Wonderland drawings.But doing this strip took way more time than drawing a normal strip. The week we did a comics convention, with dozens of old comic characters in each strip, it took me three weeks to turn out one week of dailies. It was fun, and it felt like an accomplishment, but it was exhausting. Some fellow cartoonists were surprised to discover that I wasn't cutting and pasting.
'What?' I said. 'Cut pages out of books? I wouldn't do that.'
People have said that Sam's Strip came along too soon, that readers weren't ready for such a radical departure. It certainly was too soon as far as drawing aids were concerned. In 1961 there were no shortcuts, which made things hard on the eyes.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

EasyEW posted:

9 Chickweed Lane

Yes, Brooke. This is exactly how elementary school-aged children kiss. Heavy lidded, open mouthed, ready for tongue.

You gross old pervert.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Julet Esqu posted:

Yes, Brooke. This is exactly how elementary school-aged children kiss. Heavy lidded, open mouthed, ready for tongue.

You gross old pervert.
Yeah I'm really uncomfortable with how much he focuses on the 6 year old versions of his OTP. It's a little triggering to me.

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Perhaps you have not been to the *Playground*.
The *Playground* is for Taalo and for Orz, but *Campers* can go.
It more fun than several.
You can go there for too much fun.
The Lockhorns

Brewster Rockit Space Guy

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

Kevin & Kell

Mother Goose & Grimm

Hagar The Horrible

Sherman's Lagoon

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Vargo posted:

holy loving poo poo, I'm dying here.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Wait. Stylus on glass? Oh my god is he drawing on a digital tablet and getting results like these?!

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

EasyEW posted:

Out Our Way (January 15-17, 1934)

Oh! don't you remember sweet Alice, Ben Bolt

yet more cultural and historical context

How Wonderful! posted:

Jerry Dumas talks about this a bit in his foreward to the Fantagraphics edition:

Awesome, thanks for sharing it!

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Jan 26, 2020

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From the Tinkersons

random Dark Side of the Horse

Fort Knox

Chef Bourgeoisie
Oct 9, 2016

by Reene
Bloom County
January 17th & 19th, 1981

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Prince Valiant

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Is Cayla the only prominent* minority character in Funky Winkerbean? Because she only just seems to exist as a prop to have people talk at her about their problems and so Batiuk can claim diversity in his cast.

*Only prominent because Les Moore keeps reappearing to hog the spotlight.

PetraCore posted:

Yeah I'm really uncomfortable with how much he focuses on the 6 year old versions of his OTP. It's a little triggering to me.

I agree. If it's not focusing on the two of them, it focuses on 6-year old Edda wanting to know every single detail about sex. 9CL isn't even hate-read material, it's just really gross.

Ugh, even if you had notes on how you want your wedding to go, you still need someone to help you handle all the details. We even had this happen in Kevin and Kell, with Kell blackmailing her sister to help with the wedding. Not to mention that it's selfish how Dethany's not even bothering to ask her boyfriend for input on their wedding plans (though Holbrook would just make a joke about how women are the only ones interested in it while the men just stand around uselessly).

That last panel makes Dethany act like she's above everyone, so that tracks. And :lol: at the boss thinking Dethany isn't a negative presence. Of course she isn't she's a corporate suck-up.

And then everyone suffocated to death because DNA Wizard hosed up the air scrubbers. The End.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.
In today's Corto Maltese: Corto is very ungrateful to his 'rescuers', or Spatzetov and Tippet share a moment, or Corto gets a nick-name

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Surgeon's Tales

Nancy

Dustin

1997 Viivi & Wagner

timg for boobs:

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
That loving recreation of Luncheon Kingdom is tripping me up. There's even the game's exact HUD, which I don't think I've ever seen in a comic.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Perhaps his love of food supersedes his hate for Some Gizmo.

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
Garfield

Heathcliff

Overboard

Monty

Not a Duck
Mar 17, 2009

I'm not a duck.

riderchop posted:

Heathcliff

I know trying to make logical sense of a Heathcliff strip is asking for trouble, but shouldn't his car be made from fish bones or a trashcan? That seems more Heathcliff-like than a big hock of ham.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

If the air scrubbers in Safe Havens couldn’t handle a single cat’s shedding, I have no idea how they survived with a whole crew of humans and two dodos who later turned into dogs.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Docks

Zip

Rip

Dick

Duck

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!

Peking Duck posted:

I know trying to make logical sense of a Heathcliff strip is asking for trouble, but shouldn't his car be made from fish bones or a trashcan? That seems more Heathcliff-like than a big hock of ham.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Strontium posted:

That loving recreation of Luncheon Kingdom is tripping me up. There's even the game's exact HUD, which I don't think I've ever seen in a comic.

But they're using wired controllers that look nothing like switch controllers.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Moomin and THIS MUG

It's adorable how tiny Moomin is drawn in some of these panels.

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug
Sunday Juliet Jones is still in the middle of another story, so here's some Pickles.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Julet Esqu posted:

The way Brooke draws almost-kissing mouths honestly grosses me out.

The Dinette Set is relative.

Working Daze is lazy, even by its own standards.

Super-Fun-Pak Comix shows how you can at least try to make the same joke better.

Cul De Sac might want to wear a helmet.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Star Wars is RIP dead robots

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Old School Peanuts (Jun 3, 1951)

Calvin and Hobbes (Dec 30-31, 1986)

Robbie and Bobby (Feb 14-15, 2015)

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
BCN

Phoebe

Wallace

Malibu Stacy has a new hat

so I guess we're stuck with the hat, huh. Billingsley even changed the logo.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It's definitely a hat.

Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Dilbert

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Synthbuttrange posted:

Wait. Stylus on glass? Oh my god is he drawing on a digital tablet and getting results like these?!
To be fair it's very different drawing on a tablet and on paper, and if you're not used to it it's weird. It's a lot more "slick" than paper and that causes a loss of some control. It takes some getting used to.

But if I was doing a comic strip for newspapers around the world I would probably have not submitted that one.
That's a pretty good gag!

F Minus

Mark Trail

Mary Worth

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Andertoons

Popeye's Cartoon Club

:lol: "Matey's Night"

Flash Gordon

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
My Dad is Dracula

Pickles

Zits

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Type II diabetes?

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Johnny Walker posted:

Rex Morgan MD

Huh. I guess June doesn't read Mary Worth or else she'd know that "Old Woman" is not a legitimate medical diagnosis,.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

goatface posted:

Type II diabetes?

WebMD's top result for those symptoms is "Endocarditis" but I'm standing by "Too Old."

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

And now the late Granddad is off to the front Gates to greet the new arrivals. Six of them, caused by the pile-up on the highway from the black ice.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

"Like, who among us hasn't refused shelter to hurricane victims?" -- also Joel Osteen, probably

Rhymes with Orange

Retail

Get Fuzzy 1/25/00

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.

amigolupus posted:

I agree. If it's not focusing on the two of them, it focuses on 6-year old Edda wanting to know every single detail about sex. 9CL isn't even hate-read material, it's just really gross.

Honestly, the dude can't draw children and definitely can't write children's dialogue. If there's nothing to give you scale, the only way you can tell this isn't high school is whether Edda's wearing socks or stockings. It's a rare piece of media that actively condemns you for paying close attention.

Sally Forth

Peanuts (January 28, 1973)

Funky WInkerbean

Crankshaft

9 "They're Actual Adults In This One, But They Don't Make Much Of A Case For It" Lane

Life (With Skippy) (January 24, 1924)

Elsewhere In The Magazine: Crosby again...

And how's that furnace coming, by the way?

Alias: Buster Brown (March 29, 1908, with some sloppy patches along the side)

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

EasyEW posted:

Funky WInkerbean

You know why women make an effort to look nice? To attract men, mainly. And if the men aren't showing the degree of interest that we'd like, it's so depressing! Who would purchase us then????

(gently caress you, Batuik)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Julet Esqu posted:

(gently caress you, Batuik)