Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

What’s even worse is there is a good bike somewhere in there. They’re still Japanese bikes at the end of the day, it’s just buried under a mountain of decisions made so poorly that sometimes the only good thing left is the engine.

They are a fantastic source of cheap, powerful backyard go-kart engines.

Also desk ornaments.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Slavvy posted:

It's interesting that with all the differences in markets and bike availability between here and the US, what you've described above is still 100% accurate here. 80's 'custom style' japanese bikes are the absolute bottom of the barrel, worst and cheapest bikes available and only people with no style, dignity and intellect look at them and think 'yes this is a better idea than a $1500 gn250'.

Whereas in the UK those bikes are all long dead, having been cannibalised for parts for the non-cruiser models of those bikes which were the mainstay of the courier business through the 80s and 90s. As benighted as they were in life, in death they went to bike Valhalla, being caned to oblivion carrying documents, blood, and drugs (legal and not) across London.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Yeah the GS engines are nothing to sneeze at, and are the foundation of some of the best motorcycle engines of all time, so there’s that. As I said, it’s just too bad that engine is surrounded by that frame. Suzuki at least was good about making standard versions of all those bikes, so the motors didn’t get trapped in cruiser hell. I’d say $400 is the top end of what I’d pay for it.

So you're saying this bike would be a good base for a cafe racer

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I mean if you can get around the goofy frame geometry then yeah, GS750 motors are perfectly suited to that stuff

mewse
May 2, 2006

Hehe nice meltdo-wait what?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I have dealt with a guy who wanted to do exactly that - turn a gs750x custom into a cafe racer. He got it as a half finished project where most of the frame chop heavy lifting stuff was done and he just needed me to make a wiring harness, fit all the switches lights etc and get the engine going.

Main problems that stop you making something remotely decent out of one:

1. The rear wheel needs to be able to travel up inside the tail area considerably higher (like 3-4 inches) than the height of the frame rails in that area. Naturally this is impossible if you want a cafe style anything in that area, but putting 3" longer shocks on it was also a deal breaker, so he just got me to put the flat cafe seat on anyway, she'll be right mate. The result was anything other than super mild acceleration on a mathematically flat plane caused the rear wheel to slam into the frame/bottom of the seat.

2. The frame itself is super ugly and awkward in that crucial area behind the headstock that you can't really modify. It sticks up like a diagonal spine, the factory tank is big and bulbous like that too disguise the frame, it becomes glaringly obvious and ugly the moment you try to fit anything smaller or better looking.

3. The bike's handling is really, really bad at a fundamental level because the factory at the time had next to no understanding of weight distribution, chassis rigidity and the dynamic changes in geometry that happen as you ride. Then you want to throw a super steep front end in there (gotta drop those forks or it'll look like garbage), miserable little bars that take away what little steering input you have, and completely hosed ergonomics on top. Changing shocks, forks wheels etc out for modern stuff will not fix this, it will just tear the steering tube off the frame instead.

I have ridden the result and it was genuinely frightening. You now how you ride a literbike and it makes 200kmh feel like 100? This was the opposite and made suburban speeds feel like mach 1 in a trabant.

Slavvy fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Jan 7, 2020

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
I want to see pictures of that thing

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Slavvy posted:

The result was anything other than super mild acceleration on a mathematically flat plane caused the rear wheel to slam into the frame/bottom of the seat.

I'm no expert, but this sounds both bad for riding and really annoying to ride

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

MomJeans420 posted:

I'm no expert, but this sounds both bad for riding and really annoying to ride

- Every 70's bike

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

I'm looking at a new CB300F as a first motorcycle. I know it's generally not advised to get something new as you're likely to rash it up one way or another, but having something that I know works and I don't have to worry about is really appealing. It's a new 2018 model that's left over so I'm trying to see if dealer will play ball for $4k out the door. Would this be a good deal? I might try for lower than that even considering it's a discontinued model.

DearSirXNORMadam
Aug 1, 2009
Depends on your area, but that's approximately appropriate price. I got a CBR300R for 3700 out the door, but that took ~ 3 months of searching. CBs are technically a little cheaper as MSRP is marked, but in practice I didn't see them dropping much below that price either.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

I bought a new CB300R for my first bike, so I don't think there's anything wrong with buying new if that's what works best. The used bike market in my area isn't great for beginner bikes, and I didn't want to spend too much time/effort finding something. I also don't have the space or ability to do anything beyond the basics with regard to maintenance, so that was another reason I went new.

Not that I necessarily know anything, but I will say that the CB300R is lighter (317lbs w/ ABS) better looking (subjective, I guess), and has, at least on paper, better suspension (inverted fork), brakes (radially mounted front caliper), and tires (radial), so I'll just throw that out there to make myself feel good about my decision.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

The R replaced the F starting 2019 I believe (or they condensed the models), but if I find an R for a similar price I'd go for that of course.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
The new vs used advise is cool and good, but it's heavily nuanced by your purchasing capabilities. If $4,000 is amount of money you are willing to lose, while gaining reliability and peace of mind, don't worry about it in the slightest. For some people $1,200 is a stretch, some people can set 30 grand on fire and not give a poo poo. The thing you get with a newer bike is newer technology and safety features, if you option those in. In the United States, you don't have regulations that mandate ABS and traction control by default. I'd look for that first

Pinny
Sep 8, 2006
Local dealer have just put a black 2006 DRZ400 with 3,000 miles up for £2750. It looks completely un-molested from what I can tell. Fair price? I have no idea what they go for these days...

They don't come up for sale here often and I've been looking out for one for a while now to use for stupid short commuting (~2miles each way) / random hooning.

If i go check it out what should I keep and eye out for?

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Pinny posted:

Local dealer have just put a black 2006 DRZ400 with 3,000 miles up for £2750. It looks completely un-molested from what I can tell. Fair price? I have no idea what they go for these days...

They don't come up for sale here often and I've been looking out for one for a while now to use for stupid short commuting (~2miles each way) / random hooning.

If i go check it out what should I keep and eye out for?

2 miles isn’t even enough to get the bike properly warmed up BUT you should probably still have a DRZ anyway.

As far as DRZ specific stuff to look for, probably just the normal stuff you’d look at on any other bike plus fork condition (how much has it been wheelied), exhaust (aftermarket can probably means jet kit + airbox mods), smooth shifting and traveling in all gears.

Pinny
Sep 8, 2006
I know, and my current bike is probably feeling the pain when I ride it to work :(

Turns out the DRZ might be a workmate's old bike that he sold a few years ago for £2400, and the mileage has barely changed. I assume the guy that bought it either had plans for it and didn't have the time, or just never rode it.

I might go check it out at the weekend if its still there, and see if they'll bite for £2500.

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

Where is local, and if you don’t buy it, I will.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
if it starts cold and holds idle/revs it's probably fine

it's a drz

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice
Bmw nineT racer vs the scrambler? I really like the look of both. Any cons I should be aware of?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Male pattern baldness, erectile dysfunction and random cunts accosting you at the pub are the biggest cons of both afaik.

E: also those bikes are only similar in the absolute broadest superficial sense of being retro styled, European, and motorcycles

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice

Slavvy posted:

Male pattern baldness, erectile dysfunction and random cunts accosting you at the pub are the biggest cons of both afaik.

E: also those bikes are only similar in the absolute broadest superficial sense of being retro styled, European, and motorcycles

Humm, luckily i have a beautiful mane, no probs with ED and live in America so no pubs.

So nothing other than you don't like the look. Got it, thanks!

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

fyallm posted:

Humm, luckily i have a beautiful mane, no probs with ED and live in America so no pubs.

You don't have those problems now, but you haven't got the bike yet.

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice

Finger Prince posted:

You don't have those problems now, but you haven't got the bike yet.

Haha. Its ok, I'm sure owning an m2 is already going to cause some of those issues already

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

fyallm posted:

So nothing other than you don't like the look. Got it, thanks!

I don't have strong feelings about how either bike looks, your question just doesn't really make sense. Every bike has issues and drawbacks, you've given no context for what you want or what you want to do with it, it so you get snark because it just looks like you're looking for choice validation. Those bikes aren't really remotely similar in any meaningful way which makes me think you're looking for something to look cool with and don't really know what you want.

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice

Slavvy posted:

I don't have strong feelings about how either bike looks, your question just doesn't really make sense. Every bike has issues and drawbacks, you've given no context for what you want or what you want to do with it, it so you get snark because it just looks like you're looking for choice validation. Those bikes aren't really remotely similar in any meaningful way which makes me think you're looking for something to look cool with and don't really know what you want.

Was wondering if either had significant criticism, since the racer was discontinued, I was wondering if it was from low sales cause of design. Or massive issues

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

fyallm posted:

Bmw nineT racer vs the scrambler? I really like the look of both. Any cons I should be aware of?

Do you have any visions of riding in dirt? Get the scrambler. On the steeet? Flip a coin I guess

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Do you have any visions of riding in dirt? Get the scrambler. On the steeet? Flip a coin I guess

Also there's like half a dozen variants of the Scrambler, most of which are cosmetic, but some of them (the cafe racer and off-road racer versions, the names of which are far too loving irritating for me to remember) completely change the ergonomics and usability of the bike.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Really a scrambler is just a funny looking monster with weird wheels, they are small and light and friendly.

An r9t is a GS with a not-funny-looking front end, street running gear and retro styling.

Vaguely similar styling is literally the only thing they have in common.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
I rode an R9T Urban and found it to be boring as gently caress, slow, and just way too heavy and cumbersome. Looked phenomenal though, and was pretty comfy. That is my R9T story.

The R9T racer looks idiotic and you'll look like an absolute tit on it. Scrambler looks good but it's far less off-roadable than even the ducati scrambler.

AuxiliaryPatroller
Jul 23, 2007
R1200Rs don’t look as cool as the R9T bikes, but come with the newer engine (2014+) and a way better electronics package. I owned one and briefly cross shopped and r9t and rented one for two weeks on a work trip. The R, GS, or RT are far more practical in all ways, just look less cool. Way comfier for longer saddle days.

Usually the R can be had for cheaper as it’s more of a dad bike than hipster-dad bike.

If you’re gonna dad bike bike might as well go all in.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

I think it was razzled who said the scrambler (among others) does the type of riding the average owner actually does extremely well while looking like it’s capable of doing the type of riding the average owner thinks they’re going to do.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

I think it was razzled who said the scrambler (among others) does the type of riding the average owner actually does extremely well while looking like it’s capable of doing the type of riding the average owner thinks they’re going to do.

This is every (not faux) flat-tracky thing ever really, not that there's many. Soggy suspension + chunky tyres + low weight is a recipe for a brilliant general purpose motorcycle, it always has been, it's just really hard to make a bike like that which is a. not motarded and b. not poo poo looking, but ducati found a way.

DearSirXNORMadam
Aug 1, 2009

Slavvy posted:

Really a scrambler is just a funny looking monster with weird wheels, they are small and light and friendly.

An r9t is a GS with a not-funny-looking front end, street running gear and retro styling.

Vaguely similar styling is literally the only thing they have in common.

Wait I think he meant an R nineT Scrambler...

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Slavvy posted:

This is every (not faux) flat-tracky thing ever really, not that there's many. Soggy suspension + chunky tyres + low weight is a recipe for a brilliant general purpose motorcycle, it always has been, it's just really hard to make a bike like that which is a. not motarded and b. not poo poo looking, but ducati found a way.

I was lent one when I took the Monster in for its first service and - price tag aside - it's genuinely the best commuter/general purpose bike I've ridden.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Mirconium posted:

Wait I think he meant an R nineT Scrambler...

Yeah that’s what I assumed as well. Ducati Scrambler is basically a sub brand and by itself doesn’t really mean anything because there are like 10 different types.

I think what he really wants is this monstrosity.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Is that some kind of custom K100?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

The word 'custom' is one of the sharpest double edged swords in the bike world I swear.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Is that some kind of bespoke modified K100?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DearSirXNORMadam
Aug 1, 2009
https://www.bmwmotorcycles.com/en/models/heritage/rninetscrambler.html

Pretty sure he meant this