Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Yeah, I saw this tweet and, well, (a) yikes and (b) you do know New York is losing population, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

the state is but idk about the city

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Real hurthling! posted:

the state is but idk about the city

Huh, fair enough. Guess Upstate's going to be the one losing House seats, then.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

ahh yes New York, that famously homogenous city where nobody’s from anywhere else

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
NYPost, I know, but LOL

https://twitter.com/nicolegelinas/status/1220544323953012741

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

the post has been hitting that worst person you know just made a great point level too many times a week for my comfort

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

theflyingexecutive posted:

the post has been hitting that worst person you know just made a great point level too many times a week for my comfort

Aren't they basically the only New York paper to actually hit at Cuomo on occasion?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

my transit plan idea: hit cuomo with bus

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

it's very funny to me that cuomo ran this guy out of town because people appreciated byford for being good at his job

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Badger of Basra posted:

it's very funny to me that cuomo ran this guy out of town because people appreciated byford for being good at his job

He can't pretend to swoop in and save the day if other people are actually competent. :eng101:

Unrelated, the more time I spend in this county, the less I like the exec: McLaughlin created a $60k finance job for a convicted unemployment benefit fraudster. Guy's surrounding himself with the best people. Guess he's milking the public purse as much as he can before the Federal indictment comes through.

truavatar
Mar 3, 2004

GIS Jedi
Anyone hear why Van Bremer dropped out of the QBP race? All I’m seeing is “family reasons”.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

truavatar posted:

Anyone hear why Van Bremer dropped out of the QBP race? All I’m seeing is “family reasons”.

IIRC, his mother is in very poor health

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I'm gonna start this off by saying if any Brooklyn goons have considered running for the Brooklyn Democratic Committee, this is the time to do it. I mean, it always is, but early this week, things got more urgent. I apologize for the lack of links because this hasn't gotten reported on and the New Kings Democrats and the Rep Your Block campaign haven't yet commented on things, but they're working on it.

Frank Seddio officially stepped down as the Brooklyn party boss on Wednesday, as he had been dogged by mismanagement of party funds and a lawsuit from Golden Corral suing him for $3 million. But before he went, he picked Rodneyse Bichotte as his successor. Bichotte is the assemblymember and female district leader for the 42nd AD (Flatbush, Midwood, Ditmas Park), as well as the first Haitian-American elected to state office. She also spent the better part of 2019 kissing Seddio's rear end and being visibly angry about Jumaane Williams. That last bit was seemingly odd because she began the year as one of his campaign chairs for the public advocate special election. Looking back, the reason becomes more clear. She was elected handily by the district leaders.

Shady enough so far, but it gets worse. Around that time, those same district leaders voted to kneecap the power of the county committee. First of all, they canceled the February meeting and it's not clear if it'll even be rescheduled. Bi-annual meetings was one of the concessions Seddio made to the county committee insurgents, even if they did tend to be out of range from the subway. On top of that, they banned the proposal of resolutions related to party management and concerns from the County Committee at meetings. In other words, we now can't discuss a significant part of party business at a meeting meant to discuss party business. As far as I know, this was either unanimous or passed without any "no" votes but with at least an abstention.

It also doesn't look like Bichotte is going to improve on Seddio's fiscal stupidity. According to a county committee member I spoke to in the 43rd AD, she's already hired a PR firm with connections to Bill de Blasio as a recruitment drive to counter the Rep Your Block campaign, which has been the main driver of insurgency within the Brooklyn party. Where the money is going to come from, I have no earthly idea. These issues were discussed at the assembly district's committee meeting this week, which this member I spoke to called a shitshow. Not every district has its own committee, but in mine (the 44th) we're having a meeting on the 30th, and I'll be sure to raise hell to our district leaders. At this point, every single district leader will need to watch their back, because more challenges are sure to come. There are already a couple of races for open seats, but none for incumbents. This will need to change.

So, if you want to sign up for the Rep Your Block drive, put in your info right here.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

get that OUT of my face posted:

lawsuit from Golden Corral suing him for $3 million.

ok i have to know more about this

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

uncurable mlady posted:

ok i have to know more about this
i got your story right here. also it's about $2.2 million, not $3 million

as a bonus, it also mentions how much worse the Kings County party's finances have dropped under Seddio: its reserves went from $505k in 2013 to $32,800 mid-2019. and that was before having a committee meeting at the Ford Amphitheater in Coney Island, which isn't a cheap place to reserve

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

get that OUT of my face posted:

i got your story right here. also it's about $2.2 million, not $3 million

as a bonus, it also mentions how much worse the Kings County party's finances have dropped under Seddio: its reserves went from $505k in 2013 to $32,800 mid-2019. and that was before having a committee meeting at the Ford Amphitheater in Coney Island, which isn't a cheap place to reserve

lol i've probably eaten at one of those golden corrals

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

nycpoliticianperpwalk.jpg

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Huh.

https://twitter.com/BuzzFeedBen/status/1221553979441786886

What is it with "X Sr." and "X Jr." being political operators all over this state?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

bad state

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

my favorite Seddio memory was when he shouted "go gently caress yourself" at a district leader several times after a county committee meeting adjourned. hopefully that DL abstained from voting on the rules changes to save face

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
A primary challenger to my assemblymember!

quote:

Sam Fein, an Albany County legislator who represents the city’s South End, Historic Pastures and Mansion neighborhoods, said he plans on challenging the Democrat in the 108th district in order to implement his “bold vision for the future.”

“When I speak to people in the district, they are ready for change that will have an impact,” he said, accusing McDonald of participating in a “go-along to get-along” approach to policy. “We have to stand up and champion our communities so that everyone gets their fair share. I’m excited to get in there and bring this whole vision forward.”

McDonald, who faced a failed primary challenge in 2012 from former city Common Council President Carolyn McLaughlin, said he welcomes the challenge and that he enjoys broad support.

“I’ve been running for office for 20 years,” said McDonald, who started his political career as the Mayor of Cohoes. “Every year, I won. I take the same approach, I stand on my record and my record will speak for itself. I think we need a balanced approach and representing interests of all the people of the 108th district and all Democrats.”

Fein, who is 29 and grew up in Massachusetts, moved to the area in 2008. A Union College graduate with a degree in political science, he worked at the state Assembly as part of its communications staff. He was first elected to Albany County in 2015. He is now at the start of his second four-year term.

He has worked as an analyst with the city auditor and is currently completing his master's degree in public administration at SUNY Albany Rockefeller College.

He said his run is inspired by his grandfather who told him to repair the broken promise of America.

“He always told me a story about the Liberty Bell,” Fein said. “He always said the crack on the bell represents the promise of the American dream is broken for so many families. He called on all of us to be bell menders, to fix the crack of the broken promise. It’s a story that is very important to me and I have never forgotten.”

On the county level, Fein sought to designate Albany a sanctuary county for undocumented immigrants as well as attract more businesses to the South End, which in recent years lost its pharmacy, one of the few places to buy food. He was also involved in the ban the box campaign, which would ban potential employers from asking about criminal records. He also promoted homeownership and hopes, if elected to the Assembly, to push to end what he says are discriminatory practices of banks toward minorities seeking loans.

“Our communities are destabilized,” Fein said. “They are destabilized by discriminatory policies both by banks and by the government. People living in African-Americans communities don’t have access to loans" which keeps them from gaining the longterm financial stability that can come with home ownership.

On the state level, Fein wants to address economic inequality as well as New Yorkers’ inability to access healthcare, childcare and fair wages. He also wants to see the state’s billionaires pay their fair share so that “we can afford vital services ... that are so important in our communities” because the “disparity is unconscionable.” He’d also like to implement protections for upstate tenants and emphasize green jobs.

“Our communities and our climate are in crisis,” he said.

He also said that he believes his vision will resonate with voters.

“When I speak to people in the district, they are ready for change that will have an impact,” he said. “We have to stand up and champion our communities ... I’m excited to get in there and bring this whole vision forward.”

The Democratic primary is June 23.

This district is pretty safely Democratic.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Hey shiki iit looks like everyone is pissed at bail reform ABC's blazing ît for some small spike in crime in January (god if hear another joke about commit a crime and get Mets tickets) any sources about three good thing policy offs heading since every cop and media outlet in this goddamn city seems to be dead set in it being a failure?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

KomradeX posted:

Hey shiki iit looks like everyone is pissed at bail reform ABC's blazing ît for some small spike in crime in January (god if hear another joke about commit a crime and get Mets tickets) any sources about three good thing policy offs heading since every cop and media outlet in this goddamn city seems to be dead set in it being a failure?

This is a good recent story I think.
https://twitter.com/jchausow/status/1225564607462375424

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

willy hortonizin' is some nostalgia trip

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
In unrelated news, some ultra orthodox are absolutely desperate to hide how poorly they're preparing kids for outside life:

https://twitter.com/HaMeturgeman/status/1225189522947944455

Screencap of resulting discussion:

Absurd Alhazred has issued a correction as of 05:22 on Feb 7, 2020

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Thanks, and if it's like anything whyare with the cops, if one is doing it a hell of a lot more have and I shouldn't expect the Daily News to fact check the cops they love so much

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

KomradeX posted:

Thanks, and if it's like anything whyare with the cops, if one is doing it a hell of a lot more have and I shouldn't expect the Daily News to fact check the cops they love so much

Event the Daily News doesn't buy this:

https://twitter.com/ScottHech/status/1226207578574774273

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
https://twitter.com/THECITYNY/status/1226516603866636288

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

That's actually good to see

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Could there be such a thing as too little stop-and-frisk? A retired NYPD captain who is a current criminal justice professor and an emeritus criminal justice professor sure think so!

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
There are a lot of professions where the experienced establishment experts are just going to be almost universally awful, at least in the US. Foreign policy and cops probably #1 and #2 on my list.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Count on Cuomo to use a pandemic as an excuse to further consolidate his power.

https://twitter.com/yuhline/status/1235014277964103685

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Count on Cuomo to use a pandemic as an excuse to further consolidate his power.

https://twitter.com/yuhline/status/1235014277964103685

Yuh-Line is really cool and good.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
The governor is really handling this very well:

https://twitter.com/alexnpress/status/1236695766934134784

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

schools open.
not good.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Real hurthling! posted:

schools open.
not good.

stay safe, sorry for your kids :(

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

the uft's response to members screaming about school not closing was to make a change.org and tell people to call 311.

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

I bet most folks in this thread are also in the NYC thread, but in case not:

https://actionnetwork.org/petitions...ce=direct_link&

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

biggest hochul head in china

Gunshow Poophole posted:

stay safe, sorry for your kids :(

I've been holding mine out since the start of the week but I'm in a lucky situation. I don't have any idea how others are dealing