Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Len posted:

Are you located in the US? Because I've looked at every Sensodyne on the shelf since hearing about Novamin and not one has it

I think I remember reading somewhere that the manufacturers got it made prescription-only in the US because they could make SO MUCH MORE MONEY that way :(

edit: LAB I'm so happy for you, figuring something like that out about yourself is such a huge relief :unsmith:

Pookah has a new favorite as of 19:51 on Jan 26, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Pookah posted:

I think I remember reading somewhere that the manufacturers got it made prescription-only in the US because they could make SO MUCH MORE MONEY that way :(

You can order it from Amazon but it's insane compared to the cost of just regular toothpaste

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Pookah posted:

edit: LAB I'm so happy for you, figuring something like that out about yourself is such a huge relief :unsmith:

:glomp:

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

Len posted:

Are you located in the US? Because I've looked at every Sensodyne on the shelf since hearing about Novamin and not one has it

Canada

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

500excf type r posted:

Isnt it on like every tube of toothpaste as well as instructions from the ADA not to drink or rinse for at least 2 minutes? What did you people do in the bathroom before smartphones

I have never been bored enough to read toothpaste instructions, even in the ancient pre-smartphone era.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts
I happen to have two tubes of toothpaste from different brands handy (one's about to run out and I couldn't remember what kind I had when I bought the new tube) and neither say not to eat or drink after brushing. However, my bottle of mouthwash does say to use it immediately after brushing and then not to eat or drink anything for half an hour. :shrug:

Also, LAB, I'm so happy for you. Revelations like that are life-changing and that must be such a weight off your shoulders.

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!

Captain Hygiene posted:

I have never been bored enough to read toothpaste instructions, even in the ancient pre-smartphone era.

I used to do the package design for them. So if you want boring...

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Comic books were around before smartphones. Or you could just read what was printed on the side of the milk carton.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Ferrule posted:

I used to do the package design for them. So if you want boring...

That is probably the most ultra-specific random relevant experience I've seen around here.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

There's a poster called Bike Tory. It's not people calling Shaggar "bike tori" like Amethyst (I think?) is called "blue stymie"

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Jerry Cotton posted:

Comic books were around before smartphones. Or you could just read what was printed on the side of the milk carton.

Why do you keep cartons of milk in the bathroom?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Captain Monkey posted:

Why do you keep cartons of milk in the bathroom?

Why do nerds take beer in the shower?

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Grats to LAB.

Also, flouride is not nice stuff. Great topically, tolerable in small doses (where epidemiologicly it makes sense to have it in water) but otherwise is bad. 3 mins of contact is fine from a kinetics perspective. Rinsing is good.

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

This song by The Tragically Hip:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_RSJ6xuHbE

I always thought he was saying "Don't tell me what the boys are doing" but apparently it's "Don't tell me what the poets are doing"

I mean, it's right there in the name, how did I not get that?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Congratz LAB!!

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Rip to a real one, the :parrot: smiley.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

I'm glad for you, LAB. I've been having a similar journey after a disastrous breakup in August, but I'm not ready to use any labels yet.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Most importantly though, and I’m sure I speak for everyone here - don’t rinse after brushing. The toothpaste has to sit there. You can’t eat or drink anything after except toothpaste. If you’re hungry yes, you can eat a tube of toothpaste. It doesn’t count. You can also drink mouthwash anytime and it also doesn’t count.

Remember that.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

LAB, nothing but love and support from this stranger on the internet. You're a good birb mod.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

SLOSifl posted:

Most importantly though, and I’m sure I speak for everyone here - don’t rinse after brushing. The toothpaste has to sit there. You can’t eat or drink anything after except toothpaste. If you’re hungry yes, you can eat a tube of toothpaste. It doesn’t count. You can also drink mouthwash anytime and it also doesn’t count.

Remember that.
Finally somebody taking dental hygiene seriously.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Hey LAB, congrats on your realization. Stuff like that is never easy even when you have a good support structure.

You're a great, positive influence on SA and I think everyone is behind you!

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

500excf type r posted:

Isnt it on like every tube of toothpaste as well as instructions from the ADA not to drink or rinse for at least 2 minutes? What did you people do in the bathroom before smartphones

Rinsed our mouths. C'mon, we've covered this.

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.
As someone who tried to not rinse and found that it is unpleasant to the point of not being worth it, this is how you all sound:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJzeURtk9Go

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

Also, it's very slightly better to floss before you brush instead of after.

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

You gotta improvise, Lisa: cloves, Tom Collins mix, frozen pie crust...

Plaster Town Cop

500excf type r posted:

I'm in Australia, we have fluoridated water, and my toothpaste specifically says to rinse after brushing
So :shrug:

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

PancakeTransmission posted:

I'm in Australia, we have fluoridated water, and my toothpaste specifically says to rinse after brushing
So :shrug:

That's how they get you.

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

Dip Viscous posted:

Also, it's very slightly better to floss before you brush instead of after.

Oh boy, I know I'm opening up a whole new :can: here, but who the gently caress flosses AFTER they brush?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

The Mighty Moltres posted:

Oh boy, I know I'm opening up a whole new :can: here, but who the gently caress flosses AFTER they brush?

Flossing before rinsing but after brushing (with toothpaste) helps get the toothpaste and thus the fluoride between the teeth.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

I've read about some people doing it because they think, somehow, that brushing after flossing will "push back in" all the crud they just flossed out.

To which I say...why aren't they rinsing after flossing?

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Or don't they notice how hard it is to get stuff in between the teeth in the first place?

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

lol if you don't just have a tiny bird clean your teeth for you.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Starting to think life might just be easier without teeth, tbh.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Teeth and childbirth are the best arguments against intelligent design, because if we were designed, it sure as heck was not done intelligently

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

purple death ray posted:

Teeth and childbirth are the best arguments against intelligent design, because if we were designed, it sure as heck was not done intelligently

You can put the eyeball in there as well.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Proteus Jones posted:

You can put the eyeball in there as well.

How so? It's perfect for storing eyepee for when you want to cry :confused:

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

We didn't invent blenders so I would still have to use my teeth dang nabbit.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

We didn't invent blenders so I would still have to use my teeth dang nabbit.

Let me tell you about this amazing new product called Soylent.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Beachcomber posted:

Let me tell you about this amazing new product called Soylent.

I gave up soy for lent :rimshot:

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
You know what evolution did right, though? Thumbs. Those things loving own.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

christmas boots posted:

You know what evolution did right, though? Thumbs. Those things loving own.

Well then explain to me how koalas are such a stupid smoothbrained evolutionary dead end but they somehow ended up with four thumbs when the rest of us have to make do with just two.