Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

KirbyKhan posted:

Yeah, don't let nobody tell you she said Nakers or Knickers or whatever.

https://twitter.com/AlisonMorrisNOW/status/1221555983635357696?s=19

Get the gently caress outta here

Mmm yes easy mistake to make given Kobe’s well-known affiliation with New York sports teams spanning his entire career.

I wonder how long this newscaster will keep digging before she shuts up and/or gets canned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

it's so easy to confuse new york and los angeles, they have so many similarities

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Midjack posted:

Mmm yes easy mistake to make given Kobe’s well-known affiliation with New York sports teams spanning his entire career.

I wonder how long this newscaster will keep digging before she shuts up and/or gets canned.

It hurts so bad. I've lived here in Los Angeles for 7 years. Kobe has been here since the 90's. Comparing MY CITY to the Knick's is not digging up out.

Emotionally frayed cuz I just saw video of Kobes helicopter going down on someone's insta story. It is truely tragic, my nephew went to a basketball camp that was boosted by After School All Stars. Dude was genuinely good. Great. Of all time.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

It was super weird because I went to Monster Jam with my friends because we figured it'd be a fun thing to do for ten bucks.

Anyways, I went to the bathroom at some point and a friend sent me a text telling me Kobe died in a helicopter crash, so queue me running up to my friends at Monster Jam with ear pro on yelling "Hey, Kobe's dead!" and then like a dozen people in that section pulling out their phones to check.

Weird loving day.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

KirbyKhan posted:

Comparing MY CITY to the Knick's is not digging up out.

I was being sarcastic, of course Kobe was only ever with LA. I expect the newscaster to make increasingly unlikely excuses for how she could have accidentally said what she said until she gets sanctioned for it.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Handsome Ralph posted:

It was super weird because I went to Monster Jam with my friends because we figured it'd be a fun thing to do for ten bucks.

Anyways, I went to the bathroom at some point and a friend sent me a text telling me Kobe died in a helicopter crash, so queue me running up to my friends at Monster Jam with ear pro on yelling "Hey, Kobe's dead!" and then like a dozen people in that section pulling out their phones to check.

Weird loving day.

Did the trucks do that thing where they run up a wall and do a backflip?

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I've been having a lot of OSINT Twitter's come up as recs (guess from following some think tank people)does anyone know ones that are considered reputable or at least not nuts or a certain countries internet research agency project?

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

jjmcnab

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Having a messed up slip like that is one of my secret fears.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Fallom posted:

Did the trucks do that thing where they run up a wall and do a backflip?

Yes, and I uniroincally enjoyed it.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Thanks!

Wrennic_26
Jul 9, 2009
@jjmcnab is a really good read, Jack, thanks for that.

More rocket attacks on the U.S. presence in Baghdad: https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cnn.com/cnn/2020/01/26/politics/rocket-hits-us-embassy-compound-baghdad/index.html

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?
Breaking: Mike Pompeo is full of poo poo; water still wet. Film at 11.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/life...6617_story.html

quote:

By
Paul Farhi
Jan. 26, 2020 at 5:30 p.m. EST
Secretary of State Mike Pompeo says an NPR host lied in setting up an interview with him on Friday, but email records support the journalist’s account of how the contentious exchange came to be.

The emails, obtained by The Washington Post, indicate that Pompeo’s staff was aware that NPR’s Mary Louise Kelly would ask Pompeo about several topics in the interview and raised no objections, contrary to Pompeo’s characterization.

In an extraordinary statement issued on State Department letterhead on Saturday, Pompeo blasted Kelly for repeatedly asking him why he refused to express support for the former U.S. ambassador to Ukraine, Marie Yovanovitch. Kelly said afterward Pompeo berated her using profanity and challenged her to locate Ukraine on an unmarked map, which Kelly said she did.

“NPR reporter Mary Louise Kelly lied to me, twice,” Pompeo said in his statement. “First, last month, in setting up our interview and, then again yesterday, in agreeing to have our post-interview conversation off the record. It is shameful that this reporter chose to violate the basic rules of journalism and decency.”

Pompeo’s statement implied that Kelly had agreed before the interview to confine her questions to developments in Iran and that he would not be asked about other subjects. He made the same claim during the interview but Kelly pushed back, telling him she’d worked out a different arrangement with his staff.

But emails between Kelly and Pompeo’s press aide, Katie Martin, a day before the interview show that there was no such agreement and that Kelly made clear her intention to question Pompeo about other topics.

“Just wanted to touch base that we still intend to keep the interview to Iran tomorrow,” Martin wrote. “Know you just got back from Tehran so we would like to stick to Iran as the topic as opposed to jumping around. Is that something we can agree to?”

Kelly responded, “I am indeed just back from Tehran and plan to start there. Also Ukraine. And who knows what the news gods will serve up overnight. I never agree to take anything off the table.”

Martin replied, “Totally understand you want to ask other topics but just hoping . . . we can stick to that topic for a healthy portion of the interview . . . Wouldn’t want to spend the interview on questions he’s answered many times for the last several months.”

Kelly: “My plan is to start with Iran and, yes, to spend a healthy portion of the interview there. Iran has been my focus of late as well. And yes — I also would not want to waste time on questions he’s answered many times in recent months.”

Martin, whose official State Department title is deputy assistant secretary for the Bureau of Global Public Affairs, did not respond to a request for comment. Kelly declined to comment.

Kelly, a veteran journalist who is a co-host of NPR’s signature news program, “All Things Considered,” said on the program on Friday that neither Pompeo nor his aides made any request that his post-interview comments be kept off the record. She said she would not have agreed to such terms if they had.

President Trump weighed in to the controversy on Sunday, replying “A very good question!” to a tweet by conservative radio and Fox News host Mark Levin in which Levin asked, “Why does NPR still exist? We have thousands of radio stations in the U.S. Plus Satellite radio. Podcasts. Why are we paying for this big-government, Democrat Party propaganda operation.”

Conservatives have tried to cut federal support of NPR and public broadcasting in general for decades, but have never succeeded in eliminating funding. The Trump administration proposed doing so in 2018, but was turned back by Congress.

Washington-based NPR receives less than 1 percent of its annual budget directly from the federal government, but relies on annual dues from hundreds of member stations around the country. These stations receive an average of about 15 percent of their budgets from the federally chartered Corporation for Public Broadcasting.

Five Democrats on the Senate Foreign Relations Committee rebuked Pompeo for his response to Kelly in a letter to him on Saturday. “At a time when journalists around the world are being jailed for their reporting — and as in the case of Jamal Khashoggi, killed — your insulting and contemptuous comments are beneath the office of the Secretary of State,” read the letter from Sens. Robert Menendez (N.J.), Cory Booker (N.J.), Edward J. Markey (Mass.), Jeff Merkley (Ore.) and Tim Kaine (Va.).

NPR has stood by Kelly since the dispute with Pompeo arose. “Mary Louise Kelly has always conducted herself with the utmost integrity, and we stand behind this report,” said Nancy Barnes, NPR’s senior vice president of news, in a statement Saturday.

Pompeo has occasionally bristled when asked questions he doesn’t like by reporters.

In October, he told a reporter for a Nashville TV station, Nancy Amons, that it “sounds like you’re working, at least in part, for the Democratic National Committee” after she asked him about the circumstances surrounding Trump’s withholding of military aide to Ukraine.

He made a similar comment to PBS NewsHour anchor Judy Woodruff when she broached the same topic a few days earlier.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Shiiiit seeing 9 dead now in the crash according to LAtimes

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Coronavirus number go up.

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2020/01/china-virus-toll-spikes-80-2700-cases-confirmed-200127004443733.html

quote:

China said on Monday that the death toll from a deadly outbreak of coronavirus jumped to 80 as the hard-hit province of Hubei announced 24 new fatalities, while total confirmed cases nationwide rose sharply to 2,744.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

I don’t think the flu is getting knocked off its pedestal anytime soon, but we have a wannabe contender who’s showing off and needs crushing swiftly.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Kobe Bryant atc comms were released. Pilot error — reporting flying at 1400’ under visual flight rules despite local weather reporting overcast conditions at 1100’. Pilot flew them into high terrain that had a peak of 1600’

bloops fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Jan 27, 2020

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

bloops posted:

Kobe Bryant atc comms were released. Pilot error — reporting flying at 1400’ under visual flight rules despite local weather reporting overcast conditions at 1100’. Pilot flew them into high terrain that had a peak of 1600’

gently caress. I did not expect a CFIT.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
That audio/radar is loving rough.

Another pilot flying as they see fit.

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord

Icon Of Sin posted:

I don’t think the flu is getting knocked off its pedestal anytime soon, but we have a wannabe contender who’s showing off and needs crushing swiftly.

Yeah, I haven't seen a lot of info on who it is that's in the mix of fatalities, save that it looks like it's the usual suspects: people that were already compromised in one way or another, be it due to age or pre-existing conditions. Though there's been reports of this year's flu taking out what appeared to be otherwise healthy individuals in the 20-30s age range, so who knows.

Either way, it's still not flu numbers, and this year's was a doozy.

Get your flu vaccines.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Godholio posted:

gently caress. I did not expect a CFIT.

Lithobraking is the last thing I thought of as well, considering the constant helicopter lust for human blood.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

mlmp08 posted:

That audio/radar is loving rough.

Another pilot flying as they see fit.

Explain this to me please, because most of the really disturbing atc comms I've heard from crashes were usually much more obviously distressing to me as an layman than these.
In every other comms I've listened to, there was repeated ATC feedback to the pilot that they may be doing something they shouldn't be doing and probably should adjust their decision-making with varying degrees of urgency.

In this audio feed, the pilot constantly relays his altitude (which, I gather, was too low for either the conditions he was flying in?), but until almost the end of the recording there wasn't a single mention of him being too low, and even when it came, it was only because he was too low for "flight following" (?) or some such.
I mean, I'm aware that every aviator is responsible for conducting themselves responsibly to the conditions aware to them AND the regulations at every point, but I figured the recording would have included a lot more "Hey, uh, 2EX, you're hot-dogging it a bit there, you sure you don't want to come back to a safer altitude?"

I can't really tell at all what the pilot was doing wrong from the recording itself, especially if I didn't know he was too low to begin with.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Duzzy Funlop posted:

I can't really tell at all what the pilot was doing wrong from the recording itself, especially if I didn't know he was too low to begin with.

You've pretty much hit the nail on the head here. What you're hearing is someone utterly failing to understand their situation until it was too late.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
from the gbs china thread

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

ded posted:

from the gbs china thread

:piss:

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Explain this to me please, because most of the really disturbing atc comms I've heard from crashes were usually much more obviously distressing to me as an layman than these.
In every other comms I've listened to, there was repeated ATC feedback to the pilot that they may be doing something they shouldn't be doing and probably should adjust their decision-making with varying degrees of urgency.

In this audio feed, the pilot constantly relays his altitude (which, I gather, was too low for either the conditions he was flying in?), but until almost the end of the recording there wasn't a single mention of him being too low, and even when it came, it was only because he was too low for "flight following" (?) or some such.
I mean, I'm aware that every aviator is responsible for conducting themselves responsibly to the conditions aware to them AND the regulations at every point, but I figured the recording would have included a lot more "Hey, uh, 2EX, you're hot-dogging it a bit there, you sure you don't want to come back to a safer altitude?"

The weather report from the nearest airport said overcast at 1100 feet and 2.5 miles visibility at the surface. The hills they crashed into were at 1600 feet. They were flying visually.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

hobbesmaster posted:

The weather report from the nearest airport said overcast at 1100 feet and 2.5 miles visibility at the surface. The hills they crashed into were at 1600 feet. They were flying visually.

2.5 miles seems like plenty of distance to avoid flying into a hill. Were they flying in the clouds yet saying they were still in VFR?

fromoutofnowhere
Mar 19, 2004

Enjoy it while you can.
I didn't know there were hills in Calabasas that was higher than 700'.

Edit: poo poo, I was thinking of the wrong area.

Edit 2 : Holy poo poo, no matter what direction he was going, if he was under 1600 he was going to hit something.

fromoutofnowhere fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Jan 27, 2020

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Fallom posted:

2.5 miles seems like plenty of distance to avoid flying into a hill. Were they flying in the clouds yet saying they were still in VFR?

yes

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Fallom posted:

That's kinda the angle I was coming from.

My layman's understanding is that the pilot was repeatedly confirming that he was flying via eyeball (and probably should have said that he can't see poo poo if that was the case), and at some point, it could have occurred to ATC to say "uh, our numbers say you shouldn't be seeing poo poo at that altitude based on weather reports"

Ah, okay, so pilot overconfidence in territory they thought were familiar with despite being in poo poo conditions that should have compelled them to not be an idiot, got it.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Are you guys telling me that Kobe's pilot flew them into the hill because of bad visibility

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Because if you are I will loving go mental

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

MrMojok posted:

Are you guys telling me that Kobe's pilot flew them into the hill because of bad visibility

This 100% appears to be what happened.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

MrMojok posted:

This is exactly what happened. Visibility over 1100 feet was bad to nonexistent, pilot was flying at 1400, hills in the area are as high as 1600.

Literal textbook CFIT

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

From what it seems like, it was more a lack of acknowledging bad visibility than sudden bad visibility jumping out of a bush and shanking you in the rear end.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

i woke up and read the news since i work nights

hit me in the gut. gently caress that pilot.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

fromoutofnowhere posted:

I didn't know there were hills in Calabasas that was higher than 700'.

Edit: poo poo, I was thinking of the wrong area.

Edit 2 : Holy poo poo, no matter what direction he was going, if he was under 1600 he was going to hit something.

I'm reading that the terrain in that area goes up to 3000' meaning safe altitude if you pop into a cloud is pull up to 5000'. Soooooo yeah

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Duzzy Funlop posted:

From what it seems like, it was more a lack of acknowledging bad visibility than sudden bad visibility jumping out of a bush and shanking you in the rear end.

"it'll be fine, I've flown this route three times a day for the last six years" is a dangerous, incredibly common mindset.

Eej posted:

I'm reading that the terrain in that area goes up to 3000' meaning safe altitude if you pop into a cloud is pull up to 5000'. Soooooo yeah

If you look at the topographic map of the area, the hills definitely go higher than 1600. Looking at the flight radar data, the helicopter was at 1350 feet altitude, going 161 knots at its last transponder communication. The end of the flight radar route isn't the exact crash location, but it's pretty rugged terrain and all of a sudden having a mountain goat in the same cloud bank as you isn't a far fetched scenario.

Memento fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Jan 27, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Alright, I will be the idiot here. If visibility is bad, and you are flying a helicopter in these conditions, why can you not take the helo 2000' feet above the highest known terrain feature?