Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Frog Act posted:

yeah the “benefit” is that jts considerably cheaper than if I didn’t have a full time job with benefits, where it would be out of the realm of affordability entirely, but still costs thousands plus a deductible of several hundred bucks and payment at the time of service copays even after meeting that.

my girlfriend is a part time public school teacher (2-3 days a week) and works other contract jobs and just can’t afford any insurance at all

The real secret of health care is to not have an income.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Iron Crowned posted:

The real secret of health care is to not have an income.

Poor American discovers one weird trick to getting free healthcare. Job creators HATE him!!!

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Jerry Cotton posted:

:laffo: I didn't think I'd find out any more "America fundamentally sucks in ways I never even imagined and they just categorically fail at even the basic stuff" tid-bits on the forums but there you go.
at my workplace for a very white collar corporate tech job, every year employees were required to have cheek swabs, blood sample tests, blood pressure tests, waist, and weight measurements

if you failed to show up for the biometric screening or performed poorly on the tests, you would pay a much higher monthly premium

one of the requirements for signing up for the job required me to piss in a cup

comedyblissoption has issued a correction as of 18:29 on Jan 27, 2020

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
my job requires me to piss in a cup on a random but rather regular basis, and no I don't get to operate heavy equipment or anything fun like that :hellyeah:

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

comedyblissoption posted:

one of the requirements for signing up for the job required me to piss in a cup

that's alot of jobs.

Here we don't require all those annual tests but our insurance gives us incentives so if you go get a physical, bunch of tests and an EKG every year they'll write you a check for like $200.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
whole foods used to have a whole running theme during their hiring orientation about how they would never ever drug test and about how inclusive they were to alternative lifestyles, basically heavily implying that they were cool about you smoking weed and having piercings and neck tattoos and stuff

i wonder if that's still the case now after amazon swallowed them up

kinko's used to do something similar, where back in the 90s they were in the top 500 companies to work for because they offered health insurance to "live-in partners" and didn't drug test. ofc now they're owned by fedex so they swept all that stuff away from the old stoner guy that founded them

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
i loved that dude in that, i think anyway, special that the johnson & johnson heir kid did on rich people?

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
he made two documentaries on ultrawealthy heirs

also that second one's title predates occupy wall street by several years

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I had an interview today and they had two health plans, one with a 3k deductible and one with a 4.5k deductible lol.

My current deductible is zero. Obviously there are other factors to consider, but since I work for a health care system my current one is pretty good, but this other place is only tangential to one, so it's worse. That's fair ?

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

whole foods used to have a whole running theme during their hiring orientation about how they would never ever drug test and about how inclusive they were to alternative lifestyles, basically heavily implying that they were cool about you smoking weed and having piercings and neck tattoos and stuff

i wonder if that's still the case now after amazon swallowed them up

kinko's used to do something similar, where back in the 90s they were in the top 500 companies to work for because they offered health insurance to "live-in partners" and didn't drug test. ofc now they're owned by fedex so they swept all that stuff away from the old stoner guy that founded them

I thought before amazon bought them whole foods was already terrible to their employees

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

I read the wiki page to refresh my memory and here's my favorite part

quote:

CEO Mackey drew attention to the insurance program (offered through United Health Care in the US) for its employees in an op-ed in The Wall Street Journal.[104] In the article he called his company's insurance plan a viable alternative to "Obamacare". Mackey summed up his antipathy toward universal coverage in his op-ed by stating:

A careful reading of both the Declaration of Independence and the Constitution will not reveal any intrinsic right to health care, food or shelter. That's because there isn't any. This "right" has never existed in America.

Yep the declaration of independence definitely doesn't say anything about a right to, idk, life or anything.

e: lol

quote:

Mackey, a libertarian, believes that unions facilitate an adversarial relationship between management and labor.

As opposed to what we have now, where I love them dearly like the benevolent master I am

Shame Boy has issued a correction as of 20:29 on Jan 27, 2020

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

And now to a part that was Definitely Not Written By Management

quote:

Employee benefits and incentives
To help employees learn about products, the company has instituted a mentoring program and developed an online portal called "Whole Foods Market University" to aid in training. Internal parlance refers to "team leaders" as opposed to "managers" and stores sometimes offer prizes for competing teams.

Wow what a great benefit, I can learn about products that I need to know about to do my loving job, and then I get a pizza party!

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Competing teams killed... lol I even forget the name of the hugeass chain of stores :newlol:

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Are there any corporations in the US using outright violence to break up, or threaten, unions?

Koishi Komeiji
Mar 30, 2003

I applied for a job at whole foods way back in the day and it was the usual scummy stuff. They hired through a shady temp agency only, there were no benefits, extremely low pay, they expect you to have an encyclopedic knowledge of all the rich people stuff they sell even if your job isn't customer facing etc. Sorry but whole foods was never one of the good guys.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

spacetoaster posted:

Are there any corporations in the US using outright violence to break up, or threaten, unions?

In the US? or does overseas count? Because the first one is pretty much verboten but the second, oh baby.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Jerry Cotton posted:

Competing teams killed... lol I even forget the name of the hugeass chain of stores :newlol:
Sears? I mean that was the one where the scummy hedge fund guy was an explicit Randian. But it wasn't the only one.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Chomp8645 posted:

Poor American discovers one weird trick to getting free healthcare. Job creators HATE him!!!

:luckyducky:

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

spacetoaster posted:

GM dropped worker health coverage during the strike

for some people, threatening their medicine is violence

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Sears? I mean that was the one where the scummy hedge fund guy was an explicit Randian. But it wasn't the only one.

That's the one.
Sears CEO: "Ah finally I can implement a free market inside a huge corporation. AND BY FREE I MEAN I MAKE THE RULES! NO COOPERATION DAMNIT!"
The invisible hand: "Yeet!"

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica

spacetoaster posted:

Of course not.

That's what the cops are for.

Doccykins
Feb 21, 2006

Shame Boy posted:

To help employees learn about products, the company has instituted a mentoring program and developed an online portal called "Whole Foods Market University" to aid in training. Internal parlance refers to "team leaders" as opposed to "managers" and stores sometimes offer prizes for competing teams.

They're called Team Leaders so the real management doesn't have to pay them manager wages

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Greatbacon posted:

That's what the cops are for.

I've wondered if the reason that firearms are prohibited from public displays/gatherings in some states is simply to prevent poors from protecting themselves when demanding their rights.

It just crossed my mind when I was thinking about my grandfather, who was a union man, who carried guns on the picket line back in the day.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

whats the correlation between right to work and open carry states

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
https://twitter.com/hex/status/1221881988031926274?s=20

what

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

comedyblissoption posted:

whats the correlation between right to work and open carry states

missouri almost had a right-to-work law and has unrestricted concealed carry

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

spacetoaster posted:

I've wondered if the reason that firearms are prohibited from public displays/gatherings in some states is simply to prevent poors from protecting themselves when demanding their rights.

It just crossed my mind when I was thinking about my grandfather, who was a union man, who carried guns on the picket line back in the day.

And why unless you're a Nazi or a Fundamentalist Christian (Nazi) the police just break up your protest.

bag em and tag em
Nov 4, 2008

Gonna be great when we find out that "good for 300 washes" is somehow enforced with RFID tracking in ways we didn't think were possible for handkerchiefs

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Full pic to save the click through

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

spacetoaster posted:

it was originally passed to hinder the black panthers

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

Inceltown posted:

lol

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 202 days!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The thing is about criticising wealthy liberals is that it doesn't matter what language you use because they will use literally anything you say, including outright making poo poo up, to try to discredit you because they don't want you talking about those issues at all.

It's a lot like talking about race or gender. Funny, really, because those forms of privilege are totally different from class and would provoke totally different responses in their defense. Obviously.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 202 days!

Inceltown posted:

i mean, there's nothing wrong with handkerchiefs

donoteat
Sep 13, 2011

Loot at all this bullshit.
Who lets something like this happen?

popping in to say alice wrote this thread, i must direct the credit to where credit is due

donoteat has issued a correction as of 00:34 on Jan 28, 2020

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Silicon valley dudes thinking they've invented something very commonplace is my favourite thing. Like those guys who thought they'd invented the cabin, and had called it like the "holiday micro home 2.0" or some poo poo

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I've been trying to invent something unnecessary and it turns out everything simple already exists, realistically it's 2020 everything easy is done you gotta figure out something nobody wants and spin it. Like kale or lobster

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I have kitchen towels that, judging from the monograms, are over 50 years old and still usable and not even worn. They dont have a holster though.

E: 300 washes is like six years. Or less than one year if you only have the one.

3D Megadoodoo has issued a correction as of 00:16 on Jan 28, 2020

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 202 days!

bike tory posted:

Silicon valley dudes thinking they've invented something very commonplace is my favourite thing. Like those guys who thought they'd invented the cabin, and had called it like the "holiday micro home 2.0" or some poo poo

okay, catch this idea: a meal sharing app where you find people with a large dining area willing to cook for a group, and pay a reasonable amount to eat with them in their home. of course the idea is that there'll be a decent crowd some nights and maybe drinks and some games

the full name is public dinner house, but we're calling it PubDH or just Pub for short.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

i thought i invented solar powered garbage compactor bins until I saw a fluffy news segment on the start up that made them and how good an idea it was.

I was approx. 6 at the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
i wonder how much startup garbage gets pitched where its some long standing product or concept that the founders have just simply never encountered because they spent their whole lives in upper class suburbia and institutions