Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

MarcusSA posted:

Almost feel like stores should be mandated to have regional pricing so if that can of soup is 1.29 at one store it should be the same for all of them. .
I've heard a conversation like that at my local Albertsons (it's been around for like 45 years so lots of old hands around). Basically the butchers yakking about people that come in and are outraged! that the chuck steak is 3.65/lb when THEIR Albertsons has it for 2.15... in, like, Nebraska or someshit.

I think you'd have to make it so the lowest price in the chain is what gets replicated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I think they're talking at a county level. And again, the problem isn't pricing, it's expensive to simply get the square footage for a grocery store in urban cores and everybody knows that. The problem is people having no money to buy it with.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

i saw a dude grabndash a thing of daipers from the fillmore safeway and the security guard hollered after him to use the side exit next time so he doesn't get the guards in trouble

it was some beautiful working class solidarity ngl

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

OMGVBFLOL posted:

i saw a dude grabndash a thing of daipers from the fillmore safeway and the security guard hollered after him to use the side exit next time so he doesn't get the guards in trouble

it was some beautiful working class solidarity ngl

that's awesome

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
So is this sort of law banned by Costa Hawkins? Obviously it's just a band-aid for a much larger problem, but it feels like at least in the short term it could really help lower-income renters if properly enforced.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
I worked at K-Mart as a high-schooler and we had a decent amount of shrink and theft and such, but the store stayed open for literal decades and our numbers were good. It took a private equity dipshit to spike that chain into the ground. I think that's a good lesson for anyone.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

I worked at K-Mart as a high-schooler and we had a decent amount of shrink and theft and such, but the store stayed open for literal decades and our numbers were good. It took a private equity dipshit to spike that chain into the ground. I think that's a good lesson for anyone.

quick somebody warn (checks notes) Toys-R-Us, Sears, et al

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

compare the costs of theft of product to the costs in the sheer amount of unsold/spoiled food (particularly produce) that gets dumpstered daily by any typical grocery store and I bet the latter dwarfs the former by several orders of magnitude

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Or the fact that "businesses lose money on shrink" yeah but they gain a lot of money from wage theft.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

how feasible would it be to have a municipal pick up / wash / drop off for cotton diapers? commercial customers have those kinds of laundry services pretty affordably and municipal garbage pickup is already a thing. my previous post had me thinking about how disposable diapers are one of the most commonly shoplifted items because of how dumb expensive they are

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Or the fact that "businesses lose money on shrink" yeah but they gain a lot of money from wage theft.
yeah wage theft is 10x-20x larger than shrinkage (and that shrinkage refers to any loss of inventory - damaged, spoiled, misplaced, mispriced, in addition to stolen)

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

OMGVBFLOL posted:

how feasible would it be to have a municipal pick up / wash / drop off for cotton diapers? commercial customers have those kinds of laundry services pretty affordably and municipal garbage pickup is already a thing. my previous post had me thinking about how disposable diapers are one of the most commonly shoplifted items because of how dumb expensive they are

It's 100% feasible, but nobody cares to. BTW I did washable diapers for around 6 months but switched to disposable just because it was SO much laundry and we were struggling already with all the stuff that comes with "a six month old"

It's also totally feasible to standardize on packaging and stuff as well, but actually being able to recycle stuff is impinging on our *freedoms*

In fact now that I think about it literally every person needs laundry done, we should probably look into how we handle that.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Both laundry and food preparation are operations that are much more efficient when done at scale, and are daily/weekly chores that most people don't enjoy. Public laundry and public kitchens would be wildly popular and significantly improve quality of life for loads of people. The fact is, both services currently exist, but aren't called "public", and are only for rich people -- laundry services on the one hand and restaurants on the other. Some of the most creative voices on the left are beginning to re-start the conversation about how to use services like these to improve quality of life without increasing consumption (which is an important element of climate-based policy), and also at the same time to break the hegemony of the patriarchal nuclear family as the sole economic and social unit in our society.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Just gonna point out, again, that Safeway employees are union.

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERFUCKER!

OMGVBFLOL posted:

I'd be curious how much water that would use and what quality water would be needed when doing it at a commercial/industrial scale.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

OMGVBFLOL posted:

We used a diaper service back in the 1980's. I think they still exist.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

VideoGameVet posted:

We used a diaper service back in the 1980's. I think they still exist.
In California, it's not clear that trading off greater water consumption for less landfill space is a net win. I used a diaper service in the '90s; we gave it up because we still had to bring disposables to daycare, so we weren't using enough cloth diapers at home to keep up with the cheapest # diapers per week.

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Now is the time for us to gather together and celebrate those things that we like and think are fun.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

In California, it's not clear that trading off greater water consumption for less landfill space is a net win. I used a diaper service in the '90s; we gave it up because we still had to bring disposables to daycare, so we weren't using enough cloth diapers at home to keep up with the cheapest # diapers per week.

So the question becomes just how lovely do your babies need to be?

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Billy Gnosis posted:

Trust me. All the poo poo. All the time. So much poo poo.

We literally had to repaint a wall in the bedroom because of projectile poo poo.

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERFUCKER!

Billy Gnosis posted:

Parenting classes should require their students shovel manure for a week to pass. Then they'll know they'll be ready (at least for the poo poo).

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Trust me. All the poo poo. All the time. So much poo poo.

We literally had to repaint a wall in the bedroom because of projectile poo poo.

i had it arced/fountained into my mouth and eyes on separate occasions

talking to people who've used cloth diapers, in addition to the daycare problem, you're also going to have soiled diapers in at least some of your sinks and/or toilet bowls (yuck) at any given time even if you use a service. and that's on top of the initial up-front cost of all the diapers plus the detergent and utilities if you even wash them yourself some of the time

you can easily be changing an under-three-months newborn every other hour, for 24 hours straight

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Or we could just cut back on almonds

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang
We too tried the cloth diaper thing for our first kid. There literally isn't enough time in the day to deal with that poo poo (literally) AND a child at the same time. I can imagine it working in our parent's generations, when extended families were still raising kids together and mothers were not also working a full-time job/going to school while trying to balance pumping milk and getting the kid to daycare, but it's not that way anymore.

Idiot Doom Spiral
Jan 2, 2020

xcheopis posted:

Are any Bay Area goons interested in naloxone training?

Hell yes.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Raising a kid is a joy but our garbage society makes it as difficult as possible.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

https://twitter.com/latimes/status/1222278899121508355?s=20

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Just been informed below that this is fake news from the LA Times, my own fault, I thought LAT would be a little more trustworthy and didn't follow the link. My bad!

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Jan 28, 2020

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

LMAOOOOOO that loving worthless old lich!
Fake news tho

https://twitter.com/alaynatreene/status/1222285001653411841

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
https://twitter.com/Susan_Hennessey...D516%23lastpost

Seriously, you gotta do more than just read headlines in this era of lovely clickbait, though I would normally expect a lot better out of the Times

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

the failing los angeles times

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
https://twitter.com/SenFeinstein/st...r%3D143%23pti25

:lol: She had to put out a statement telling everyone she isn't that big of a moron

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
OK DiFi

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

The Glumslinger posted:

https://twitter.com/SenFeinstein/st...r%3D143%23pti25

:lol: She had to put out a statement telling everyone she isn't that big of a moron

lol

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Weak-rear end correction from the LA Times, not that I'm interested in defending the Lich Queen of California

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

quote:

How fast did Pelosi call you?

I dunno, I d say maybe the LA Times did a public service preemptively. Who knows what that criminal and her criminal husband might have pulled without attention.

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

The Glumslinger posted:

https://twitter.com/Susan_Hennessey...D516%23lastpost

Seriously, you gotta do more than just read headlines in this era of lovely clickbait, though I would normally expect a lot better out of the Times

Don't tell me what to believe!

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I'm surprised there's not aftershocks and blackouts from Di-Fi distancing herself from the right. That's what happens when ancient things shift in California.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Really the saddest part is that the LA times came out with a headline of "DiFi will vote to acquit Trump" and most people bought it because its 100% in character for her.

Burn the DNC establishment to the ground.

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

Yeah it’s pretty telling that “oh yeah of course she would” is most people’s immediate response.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Tuxedo Gin posted:

Yeah it’s pretty telling that “oh yeah of course she would” is most people’s immediate response.

Feinstein is awful, but if that's your immediate response you're miscalibrated. She's not Manchin.