Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

poty posted:

its attractive to me. you can play pc games and you dont need to buy a pc that costs 1500 bucks or whatever and is big ugly loud and uses a ton of power

what? $500 would get you a pc that eats almost no power and can play all of your games at 1080p@60.

Then you get to keep your games, don’t suffer from lag, and can use a proper keyboard and mouse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
My pc uses less than a light bulb when idle and like a watt in sleep so that it updates itself when I am asleep

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
i guess the market for stadia is "people who haven't bought a pc since 2002, who want to play the latest games @ 1080p"

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
and if this is an enviromental thing, those xeons and old amd cards that will run your game in the google datacenter will drain quite a bit more power, added to the power required to transmit your data

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Also the bandwidth caps a lot of ISP's have.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

poty posted:

its attractive to me. you can play pc games and you dont need to buy a pc that costs 1500 bucks or whatever and is big ugly loud and uses a ton of power

you’re still using the power it’s just being drawn into a data center instead of your house

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

poty posted:

Google needs more rubes like you for stadia to succeed

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Pinterest Mom posted:

"The Play Store on the Galaxy Fold and the OnePlus 7 Pro. The OnePlus shows more apps per screen."

OPTI
MIZED
FOR
MOB
ILE

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Shaggar posted:

game streaming needs to become non-lovely first

I played bloodborne on psn and it was p.deece

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

there was an article about the new Android air drop feature and I was like wait I remember doing that in 2012? you just tap your phones together and the NFC detects it. it was even more convenient than air drop.

quote:

Its NFC- based take on the feature was discontinued in Android 10
oh

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

The Management posted:

what negotiations? it’s an app on the App Store that shows streams. hell, the controller doesn’t even connect to it.

big companies always love to fuckin' negotiate

i was on an at&t project in 2011 and they wanted us to integrate with fitbit

getting it working with fitbit's public api took a couple days

making it available to testers took two weeks waiting on a Deal

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Jenny Agutter posted:

there was an article about the new Android air drop feature and I was like wait I remember doing that in 2012? you just tap your phones together and the NFC detects it. it was even more convenient than air drop.
oh

Yeah I used that four or five times because I thought it was particularly cool. Not a single other person knew of its existence though.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Jenny Agutter posted:

oh

squirt

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Sagebrush posted:

Yeah I used that four or five times because I thought it was particularly cool. Not a single other person knew of its existence though.

ime this is true of air drop as well but I don't expect Apple to discontinue it with no replacement in place

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Jenny Agutter posted:

ime this is true of air drop as well but I don't expect Apple to discontinue it with no replacement in place

i taught my mom how to do it to move things between her apple devices and she texts me when she does it successfully:3:

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

ratbert90 posted:

Also the bandwidth caps a lot of ISP's have.

diff people have diff constraints. i have very good optic fibre but a small apartment so the less things i have the better

ratbert90 posted:

Then you get to keep your games, don’t suffer from lag, and can use a proper keyboard and mouse.

i remember people online saying netflix was dumb when it started streaming because you didnt own the movies and they were worse image quality than blurays at the time. wonder where they are now.

you can use a keyboard and mouse by playing through chrome i think

Boiled Water posted:

you’re still using the power it’s just being drawn into a data center instead of your house

Celexi posted:

and if this is an enviromental thing, those xeons and old amd cards that will run your game in the google datacenter will drain quite a bit more power, added to the power required to transmit your data

i dont think videogames are environmentally relevant. power to the data center doesnt warm up my apartment in the summer

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
The last thing we need is to burn more carbon to power a xeon and gpu that were not designed and are ancient to run video games in today's environmental catastrophe, the "it won't heat my apartment in summer" is quite the outsourcing of your environmental waste off to someone else.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

netflix: a thing where the time between a button press and a thing happening is critical to the experience

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

Celexi posted:

The last thing we need is to burn more carbon to power a xeon and gpu that were not designed and are ancient to run video games in today's environmental catastrophe, the "it won't heat my apartment in summer" is quite the outsourcing of your environmental waste off to someone else.

if this is really how stadia works go complain to google? im not making them use xeons. they were using off the shelf pcs as search servers for a while when they started not sure why they couldnt do something similar for this

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

poty posted:

i remember people online saying netflix was dumb when it started streaming because you didnt own the movies and they were worse image quality than blurays at the time. wonder where they are now.

Netflix is $10 a month and you can stream everything without additional cost.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
imagine netflix, but you also spend $30 to buy the title first from the netflix store, that you can then only watch on netflix

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

infernal machines posted:

imagine netflix, but you also spend $30 to buy the title first from the netflix store, that you can then only watch on netflix

$30 would be a discount with Stadia LOL

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

poty posted:

right here, boss

right fuckin' here.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

ratbert90 posted:

$30 would be a discount with Stadia LOL

i was making the comparison to bluray prices, but tbh i have no idea how much a bluray costs

but yeah, stadia is going to be retail++, because of course they are

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Celexi posted:

if we're really going to split infinitesimals about it then it's better to run the game in the DC where the power delivery and cooling is much more efficient, and the machine can have a higher utilisation.
Plus, depending on where the DC is located it is more likely to be running off clean energy and cooling.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
I thought stadia was a subscription service that included games. lol

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

~Coxy posted:

if we're really going to split infinitesimals about it then it's better to run the game in the DC where the power delivery and cooling is much more efficient, and the machine can have a higher utilisation.
Plus, depending on where the DC is located it is more likely to be running off clean energy and cooling.

no its not because those machines are using far more power than normal as they are running a windows to linux port that runs bad, on top of the network costs of taking the data to the customer, which are not minimal. Spotfy ran a study on this which details the non trivial electric costs of transporting their music around, its somewhere in the grey stadia thread.

Most datacenters except for a rare few run off dirty energies too, I don't understand why people want this technology so much.

If you really want it, there is better ones like psnow and xcloud, which actually gives you access to a bunch of games without having to buy them and funding a company that fires people that try to unionize or harvest your data.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

The Management posted:

I thought stadia was a subscription service that included games. lol

it does

so far, destiny 2, samurai showdown, farming sim, two tomb raiders, and thumper have been "free" on the premium $10/month tier

"but wait, isn't destiny 2 free to play on other platforms"

yes

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

Pinterest Mom posted:

it does

so far, destiny 2, samurai showdown, farming sim, two tomb raiders, and thumper have been "free" on the premium $10/month tier

"but wait, isn't destiny 2 free to play on other platforms"

yes

Some of those you ca't get them anymore as they are only free on their release month or w/e

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Celexi posted:

no its not because those machines are using far more power than normal as they are running a windows to linux port that runs bad, on top of the network costs of taking the data to the customer, which are not minimal. Spotfy ran a study on this which details the non trivial electric costs of transporting their music around, its somewhere in the grey stadia thread.

Most datacenters except for a rare few run off dirty energies too, I don't understand why people want this technology so much.

If you really want it, there is better ones like psnow and xcloud, which actually gives you access to a bunch of games without having to buy them and funding a company that fires people that try to unionize or harvest your data.

massive lol at the idea of there being any company that doesn’t harvest your data

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

my web bookmark for netflix is still http://netflix.com/WiHome from when it was a silverlight app lol

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

https://twitter.com/RonAmadeo/status/1222573739721752584?s=20

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

finally, groupware is cool again!

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

widevine, CBS, and linux: drm is hard

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

in New Zealand “tangi” means “Funeral”.

probably quite apt.

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

infernal machines posted:

finally, groupware is cool again!

I still remember the day that my RSS feeds were flooded with dumb employee posts (I was really into GNOME back then before idiots killed it with v3) full of excitement about "Project Hula".

And also this one, making GBS threads all over it ... which seems to have acquired a new foreword a little while ago.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

quote:

"Groupware" is all about things like "workflow", which means, "the chairman of the committee has emailed me this checklist, and I'm done with item 3, so I want to check off item 3, so this document must be sent back to my supervisor to approve the fact that item 3 is changing from `unchecked' to `checked', and once he does that, it can be directed back to committee for review."

Nobody cares about that poo poo. Nobody you'd want to talk to, anyway.

:kiss:

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

the foreword is also hilarious

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

this is such a silicon valley brogrammer quote

meanwhile in the real world poo poo needs to be planned, reviewed, approved, reviewed again, implemented, tested, audited, reviewed once more, audited another time, etc...

i'd love to work in a company with no workflow though. i am sure i will get 0% work done until i get fired but gently caress putting effort lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

this is such a silicon valley brogrammer quote

meanwhile in the real world poo poo needs to be planned, reviewed, approved, reviewed again, implemented, tested, audited, reviewed once more, audited another time, etc...

i mean, he is 110% correct that no one cares about this stuff, or the people who actually do care are bound to be terrible bores.

what you get paid to do, and the drudgery required to engineer something which has a reasonably high chance to work reliably, is another matter. but surely no one cares.