Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
Does this one give you wild fever dreams? Because the time I crawled across my house to be sick in the toilet so ‘Sonic didn’t lose his coins from India’ was something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

coronavirus posted:

I thought the tweet was about "where did this new virus emoji come from?!?" and was proof that apple was aware of the planned virus ahead of time.

I need to get some sleep.

That's totally a paramecium though

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

Negrostrike posted:

That's totally a paramecium though

it's the cucumber from rick and morty idiot

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
This:

quote:

The WHO said a case in Vietnam involved human-to-human transmission outside China and a Japanese official has said there was a suspected case of human-to-human transmission there too.

Andreas Zapf, president of Bavaria’s office for health and food safety, said on Tuesday the person infected was 33 years old and had come into contact with a Chinese lady on Jan 21.

Zapf said the Chinese woman was from Shanghai but her parents, who are from the Wuhan region, had visited her a few days earlier.

He added that she had arrived in Germany on Jan. 19, appearing not to have any symptoms, but began to feel ill on her flight home on Jan. 23. She sought medical treatment after landing and tested positive for coronavirus.

When that information was relayed back to the German company, a male employee said he felt like he had flu over the weekend and was on Monday advised to get medical treatment.

The head doctor at the clinic where the man is being treated told a news conference the patient was awake and responsive and he did not think the man’s life was at risk.

Bavaria’s health ministry said people who had been in contact with the man had been informed of possible symptoms, hygiene measures and transmission channels.

Would seem to indicate it can be transmitted even before symptoms begin, which is pretty worrying and could easily mean we start seeing a lot more cases pop up over the next week or so all over the fuckin place.

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

This thing is totally uncontained

Luckyellow
Sep 25, 2007

Pillbug
I'm starting to legit worry about this stuff now.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon

halokiller posted:

Good ol' classic The Andromeda Strain

:hmmyes:

UnknownTarget
Sep 5, 2019

Luckyellow posted:

Has there been indication that it's particularly bad for anyone who is not old or in already frail medical health?

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
I'm sure lung damage and being sick for weeks is just swell, even if you're young.

Chrs
Sep 21, 2015

UnknownTarget posted:

Has there been indication that it's particularly bad for anyone who is not old or in already frail medical health?

UK Government says no.

quote:

Based on current evidence, Wuhan novel coronavirus presents with flu-like symptoms including a fever, a cough, or difficulty breathing. The current evidence is that most cases appear to be mild. Those who have died in Wuhan appear to have had pre-existing health conditions.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/wuhan-novel-coronavirus-information-for-the-public

Mr. Merdle
Oct 17, 2007

THE GREAT MANBABY SUCCESSOR

Luckyellow posted:

As was brought up earlier, this would have to present with pretty severe symptoms and have a high mortality rate to be worried about. In the unlikely event you contract it, you'll be fine with rest/juice/exercise.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Ah yes, juice and exercise, classic cures.

UnknownTarget
Sep 5, 2019

Cool cool. So like I thought it's scary how fast it's spreading but it's just a global case of the sniffles.

Not belittling those that have died. It sounds like that might have happened if they caught the common cold as well, unfortunately.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Luckyellow posted:

Take a few days off the internet.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Another Bill posted:

Take a few days off the internet.

But don't go to the airport.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Imagine everybody was suddenly monitoring everyone who had the flu, and whole cities would be closed down. That's what this is at this point. The main concern seems to be that China is incredibly unreliable about everything so nobody knows just how bad this thing is so far.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
The main concern is preventing further spread because it's pretty deadly, there's no vaccination and worry about this virus becoming a mainstay for the future.

bones 4 beginners
Jan 7, 2018

"...a masterpiece that no one can read too often, or admire too much."
Only one way to stay safe

https://twitter.com/TrnThiHa14/status/1222111319458902016

Svensken
May 29, 2010
Chinese coronavirus coming out of left field to snatch the human extinction trophy out of the hands of global warming.

SchrodingersCat
Aug 23, 2011
My rule for situations like this is to not get concerned until people start dying in countries with top-level healthcare systems and legit reporting systems.
Even Ebola has a significantly lower mortality rate with proper medical management.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Lambert posted:

The main concern is preventing further spread because it's pretty deadly, there's no vaccination and worry about this virus becoming a mainstay for the future.

They have the genome sequenced and the one good thing about the mass panic is that getting funding for this shits a breeze.

Mr. Merdle
Oct 17, 2007

THE GREAT MANBABY SUCCESSOR

Lambert posted:

because it's pretty deadly

Do you have the numbers for this? Because it seems like in several thousand cases there have been about 100 fatalities? A mortality rate of less than 5 percent doesn't exactly scream apocalypse.

This isn't to say don't take appropriate preventative measures, but at the same time I wouldn't start saying the sky is falling.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Lil Peeler posted:

Do you have the numbers for this? Because it seems like in several thousand cases there have been about 100 fatalities? A mortality rate of less than 5 percent doesn't exactly scream apocalypse.

This isn't to say don't take appropriate preventative measures, but at the same time I wouldn't start saying the sky is falling.

One of the problems is the pneumonia where people require respirators to survive and there aren't hundreds of thousands of respirators for the millions of infected.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Lil Peeler posted:

It is very deadly compared to other diseases that can spread without symptoms (flu's dead rate is 0.X%, yet still kills 5 digits people most years). The risk is a flu-like disease that is 30x as deadly, which at an individual level isn't much but as a population level is a huge deal.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Nothingtoseehere posted:

It is very deadly compared to other diseases that can spread without symptoms (flu's dead rate is 0.X%, yet still kills 5 digits people most years). The risk is a flu-like disease that is 30x as deadly, which at an individual level isn't much but as a population level is a huge deal.

Or, something that keeps the same death rate of the flu but has twice the R0 value, where sheer numbers means that small death rate comes out to hundreds of thousands or millions instead of tens of thousands.

MorrisBae
Jan 18, 2020

by Athanatos

Nothingtoseehere posted:

So average life expectancy goes down 10 years across the board until a vaccine is developed

nbd

UnknownTarget
Sep 5, 2019

MorrisBae posted:

So average life expectancy goes down 10 years across the board until a vaccine is developed

nbd

Yea but so far that doesn't seem to be the case with this virus.

haunted bong
Jun 24, 2007

chaos reigns

Chrs
Sep 21, 2015

Would rather have this than Ebola because at least with this I’d only be dying instead of making GBS threads myself inside out and dying

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Lil Peeler posted:

wow, really shocked that an infection that usually takes several weeks to actually kill people has a low measured mortality rate, when it's in the early stages of spreading and most people with it haven't had it for long.

don't worry, your thirst for bloodshed will be sated in the next few weeks once we know what the long-term prognosis is for the infected people that don't immediately drop dead

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

They have the genome sequenced and the one good thing about the mass panic is that getting funding for this shits a breeze.

Not specifically about Coronavirus but you may want to check your assumptions

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
so far the chinese flu doesn't come with a ragepiss like phenomenon so it's better than ebola imo

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Jabor posted:

wow, really shocked that an infection that usually takes several weeks to actually kill people has a low measured mortality rate, when it's in the early stages of spreading and most people with it haven't had it for long.

don't worry, your thirst for bloodshed will be sated in the next few weeks once we know what the long-term prognosis is for the infected people that don't immediately drop dead

it's probably been around for longer than a few weeks honestly. probably a few months.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Another Bill posted:

Stockpiling resources from the poor and refusing to use it to cure a disease because it isn't the best way to get more money from the poor sounds like capitalism a crime against humanity to me. I hope everyone involved in that decision making process dies horribly from an easily curable disease.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Another Bill posted:

Public funded research is a thing and is actually a much bigger thing than private investment research despite the talking points you hear when m4a talk rolls around. When ebola happened they had a test vaccine ready in a couple of months after not researching it almost at all for 30 years. The second rich white americans are scared they might get infected the research machine kicks into overdrive. Right now rich white americans are very scared they'll be infected

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Ebola was also a very rare disease with unpredictable flare ups that killed less than 2,000 people in 40 years. There weren’t even 10k cases before the 2014 outbreak, it wasn’t something where you could even properly test a vaccine since an outbreak would burn out so fast. There were way more factors to it than “rich white people are scared now”

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Ebola had 2376 cases before the 2013 outbreak, with 1583 deaths. That’s why there wasn’t a vaccine for it. poo poo was incredibly rare until it managed to hit the right place at the right time and start spreading like wildfire.

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

The real danger with this virus is not that it's particularly lethal, it's that it seems just severe enough and infectious enough to overwhelm healthcare even in those countries where it's actually decent. Yeah, proper care on the ICU may be enough to let most people survive... but no city has enough ICUs to keep thousands of patients.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

hemale in pain posted:

it's probably been around for longer than a few weeks honestly. probably a few months.

The earliest medical news I was sent when this all started to hit western media was from 03/01. It had by that point already been identified as likely coming from the seafood market and had infected some 40 people, up from 20 in late December.

If I had to guess based on those numbers, the infection rate and incubation period before symptoms, I’d guess latter half of November/early December.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Alan Smithee posted:

mermaid saga

it's an anime though so no american scientists
The virus outbreak anime to watch is "Stink Bomb" and it even has Americans involved.