Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

It's not really part of canon until the spork gets a four-issue comic backstory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

As opposed to being part of Legends, where it just needed to be a sercet Force-sensitive/ stole part of the Death Star's plans.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

tribbledirigible posted:

As opposed to being part of Legends, where it just needed to be a sercet Force-sensitive/ stole part of the Death Star's plans.

The only thing that makes me wish that we still had the legends version for how the various parts/versions of the Death Star plans got stolen is now nobody can use it as a one-off joke of some barfly trying to get a free drink.

"I helped steal the Death Star plans!"
"Yeah, you and half the galaxy, buddy"

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

https://twitter.com/bensolobaby/status/1221857176542683136

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

As funny as it would be if the narrator couldn't get through some of the lines without snickering, it looks as though it's just miscommunication/rights issues flaring up.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Whatever.
Someone at Disney suddenly realized they didn't actually buy the *book* rights to Star Wars.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Or... not, I guess

https://twitter.com/DelReyStarWars/status/1221920976021135362

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

i am tempted to pick that up at somepoint. i mean the Revenge of the sith book was actually pretty good.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i am tempted to pick that up at somepoint. i mean the Revenge of the sith book was actually pretty good.

Totally; I can imagine the novel salvaging the film from a pacing POV, at the very least.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Dapper_Swindler posted:

Yeah but they didn't get Matt Stover for this one...

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE posted:

Yeah but they didn't get Matt Stover for this one...

true. i just mean maybe a couple months from now.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

The sequel trilogy is a mess. Its net positive accomplishment was finally stopping what the EU had become. I mean can you imagine what Denning would be writing right now if they hadn't put an end to it?

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Casimir Radon posted:

The sequel trilogy is a mess. Its net positive accomplishment was finally stopping what the EU had become. I mean can you imagine what Denning would be writing right now if they hadn't put an end to it?

All they gotta do is hire him again and we're back to square one. And he's probably not among the worst possibilities here.

It's kind of sad, really.

Lmao, I just remembered that quote from some article from around DN-LotF where Denning had to convince the higherups that making Jacen and Tenel do a impregnation-for-fleet thing would be a good thing. Yeah, whoever's running that shitshow needs to have the exact right instincts to outright cancel books and authors when they come up with poo poo like that.

One Aaron Allston thing that he put in the Wraith Squadron books that stuck with me was like ... hmmm ... like, the evil scientist who was behind Zsinj's brainwashing/intellect enhancement projects, after she'd been captured, she spent tons of time locked up in her quarters on Mon Remonda, and one of the things she was watching was an Imperial documentary on tightrope walkers on Coruscant, and because it was an Imperial movie about the topic, it necessarily suppressed the message and tone and story that it told in such a way that the people who did that always had a tragic end.

That's what I think was thinly-veiled commentary on the stories told about the Skywalkers (huh!) and also the reversion-to-normativeness with the inter-species relationships from the earlier X-Wing books.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Jan 28, 2020

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Lmao, I just remembered that quote from some article from around DN-LotF where Denning had to convince the higherups that making Jacen and Tenel do a impregnation-for-fleet thing would be a good thing. Yeah, whoever's running that shitshow needs to have the exact right instincts to outright cancel books and authors when they come up with poo poo like that.

The thing is, the exact same people who greenlit all of the terrible Denning ideas are still in charge, at both Lucasfilm and Del Rey. The big change is in the comics, as well as the supposed Story Group/equal continuity mandate. And it's pretty clear that the claim that the movies are going to be beholden to the spinoff media is not true beyond the fact that the spinoff media will be kept from stepping on any potential movie toes and will retcon any inconsistencies that emerge from the movies ignoring the spinoffs, which is exactly what the case was for the EU before the Disney reboot.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Incidentally, it's been pretty much confirmed that JJ got the green light to literally ignore the Story Group and do whatever the hell he wanted with TRoS.

Story Group can't keep everything lining up if they're barred from the process.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

jivjov posted:

Incidentally, it's been pretty much confirmed that JJ got the green light to literally ignore the Story Group and do whatever the hell he wanted with TRoS.

Again, exactly what the process was like back in the pre-Disney EU era.

But even before TROS, there was still stuff like Rey and Poe meeting for the first time in the TFA novelization and then again in TLJ, or Rogue One going against the Tarkin/DS backstory from Tarkin, and just the general trend of the comics/books not being allowed to take the narrative into the future of the movies because the movies set the stage. The idea any movie would be beholden to something established in Marvel Comics Vol. 2 #5 is as ridiculous now as the idea that the Dark Horse Republic comics were going to establish anything about the prequels.

Although I guess those actually did to a very small degree via Aayla and Quinlan.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

That was purely by accident, too.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

The real problem with the "take the EU out back and shoot it" narrative is that by and large the dudes responsible for making the EU an irredeemable trash pile are still in charge and the perverse incentives for ruining it are still in place while most of the sensible one have either died or been muscled out.

Chairman Capone posted:

The thing is, the exact same people who greenlit all of the terrible Denning ideas are still in charge, at both Lucasfilm and Del Rey. The big change is in the comics, as well as the supposed Story Group/equal continuity mandate. And it's pretty clear that the claim that the movies are going to be beholden to the spinoff media is not true beyond the fact that the spinoff media will be kept from stepping on any potential movie toes and will retcon any inconsistencies that emerge from the movies ignoring the spinoffs, which is exactly what the case was for the EU before the Disney reboot.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

jivjov posted:

Who could possibly have foreseen this and told you it would happen years ago

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

I guess we're a month out from (officially) finding out whatever this Project Luminous thing is, as press invites have gone out:

https://twitter.com/GermainLussier/status/1222322429550157825

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

General Battuta posted:

Who could possibly have foreseen this and told you it would happen years ago

I mean...up until TRoS, everything was working fine

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

jivjov posted:

So...Disney seeks out and appoints the Story Group, tells them "help curate and maintain the Canon" and then just ignores them? What sense does that make? Why have a Story Group at all?

jivjov posted:

Except that is explicitly NOT how the Story Group works. The books and comics and films are all of equal canonical weight, and if the Story Group does their job, if Rian Johnson tries to rename the TIE Silencer, he'll be corrected

jivjov posted:

No, the Story Group is explicitly involved with the entire Canon, including books, movies, TV shows, comics, and games.

jivjov posted:

They are the ones doing the overruling though...the Story Group's whole job is to keep everything in the Canon in alignment.

All these posts, like tears in rain, etc etc

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

General Battuta posted:

All these posts, like tears in rain, etc etc

Yeah, it's horseshit that Terrio and Abrams were able to ignore the story group. But keep in mind...it's not the SG's fault that they were ignored.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

I'm not blaming them, but I am saying they never had the power to interfere in the writing of the movies and were never meant to influence anything but secondary/marketing material, and that we knew that three years ago.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

General Battuta posted:

I'm not blaming them, but I am saying they never had the power to interfere in the writing of the movies and were never meant to influence anything but secondary/marketing material, and that we knew that three years ago.

They literally were meant to prevent this very thing from happening.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Whatever.
Story group were always just janitors. They could make suggestions like “please don’t crap in the urinals” and they could clean up the messes afterwards. Ultimately JJ, Rian and Favreau were always going to be able to piss on the floors as much as they wanted to.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
This seems exclusively confined to Abrams/Terrio.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

jivjov posted:

They literally were meant to prevent this very thing from happening.

They were never meant to. They are an organ for overseeing licensed products without any creative pull n the films. They always have been. We told you this in 2017!

I feel like I’m kicking a puppy, but a puppy with too much brand loyalty

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Anyone who thought the movies would be beholden to anything, up to and including other movies, is delusional.

Likewise anyone who cares about “canon” (for any fictional franchise) in TYOOL 2020 should get their head examined.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

General Battuta posted:

They were never meant to.

That was literally their stated job.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

jivjov posted:

That was literally their stated job.
Yes, Disney lied.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Yes, Disney lied.

Abrams got pissy and got Daddy Iger to give him a special hall pass. That's hosed up.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

There was no need for any special hall pass. The story group has as much influence on the films as Del Rey had on the prequels.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

jivjov posted:

Abrams got pissy and got Daddy Iger to give him a special hall pass. That's hosed up.
I very much doubt that Bob Iger even knows what the Star Wars Story Group is

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

General Battuta posted:

There was no need for any special hall pass. The story group has as much influence on the films as Del Rey had on the prequels.

That's literally false.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Cat Machine posted:

I very much doubt that Bob Iger even knows what the Star Wars Story Group is

Then why did he give Abrams and Terrio permission to ignore it?

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

probably because he doesn't know or care what it is

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Cat Machine posted:

probably because he doesn't know or care what it is

Hrm, sounds like he's doing poorly at his job then.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

jivjov posted:

Hrm, sounds like he's doing poorly at his job then.

What do you think his job is?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Doctor Spaceman posted:

What do you think his job is?

Well, until this whole thing, I didn't think his job would be "ignoring his subsidiary companies entirely"