Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

There are some great NPCs in this game. I wish it had gotten more attention than it did, because I love it and want more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
ys 8's plot and pacing takes a major hit once your goal moves from "explore the island, regain your crew and find a way to get off" to standard end-of-the-world jrpg fare. it's still serviceable, but that last act got really tedious and the stakes are raised to such a ludicrous extent that it kind of trivializes anything you do in the rest of the series

and fair warning, once you notice how many lines begin with some variation of "hmhm" or "haha" or "gah ha" it may start driving you mad

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins

Zinkraptor posted:

Once it became clear how poorly the game (and more specifically the main character) was received, one of the creators complained that gamers just didn't get it. You see, he wanted to create a story about a lovely guy who changes, which was too radical an idea for the audience to understand - in other words, he was under the impression that he had invented character development.

I get the impression that YIIK was a game that thought itself above other JRPG-style games created by people who were not as familiar with the genre as they pretended to be. It'd be like if I decided to make a pretentious VN about VNs despite the extent of my experience with the genre just being "mainstream" stuff like Phoenix Wright and Zero Escape, or a pretentious farmlife-sim game despite not having played Harvest Moon in over a decade.

I know we'd kind of moved on from this conversation but I still can't get over that he didn't know how common flawed protagonists are and I have to take every opportunity I can to bring it up. The whole thing falls apart when whoops he's not likable at later on either. If you're going to have a main protagonist who starts very flawed, you have to be very careful about how you do it or the audience won't be invested enough to want to see them improve.

You know you're in for a treat when someone talks about how they don't just wanna make games/music/tv, but ART:fh: -- as if nothing that came before could ever constitute as such, or they themselves are the first to conceive of the medium as one capable of possessing artistic merit.

Edit: And y'know, I don't want to come across as elitist or gatekeeper-ish by implying that you require some level of nerdery to ride the rollercoaster of game design, but turning your nose up at everything but your childhood darlings is a quick and easy way to make sure you limit the knowledge-base and experiences that you can draw from for your own production.

Edit2: Also, if we really wanna out-pretentious YiiK here, the idea of self-improvement and growth has been baked into the very mechanics of gaming since before we could present it narratively, and pretty much the go-to narrative justification for said mechanics ever since. The guy name-drops a bunch of RPGs in his own game and somehow completely missed how those much older games gave us more believable character development without the need for over-indulgent masturbatory inner thoughts.

Sherry Bahm fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Jan 28, 2020

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

Barudak posted:

Indivisible is wild in terms of pacing and Im having fun, but good lord someone please remove the second city in the game being hideous backer rewards people the town.

The 2nd city? No no no, that'd be too nice. It's every NPC in the game save for some plot ones.
Since you're playing the game and are a bit in, I wanna ask, how do you feel about Dhar and Ajna so far?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

HGH posted:

The 2nd city? No no no, that'd be too nice. It's every NPC in the game save for some plot ones.
Since you're playing the game and are a bit in, I wanna ask, how do you feel about Dhar and Ajna so far?

Even flammable starter village? I thought those looked more cohesive than these later ones. Honestly the worst part is they aren't animated/drawn the same way as the narrative characters so they look like even more like "OC do not steal" than they already are.

Ajna is fine with me, I like their voice actor, and she hits a good mix of shonen protagonist traits for the story. Dhar's plot is a weird combination of tropey and unsatisfying, probably because this game is traveling at approximately 12 million miles an hour narratively so hes not getting the time needed to breathe. Is there a particular bit you were curious about?

My bigger issue is the cast of characters is so large that while Ive got several more to collect I already dont think shirtless muscle guy will ever get another line of dialog since collecting him. I feel like there are other ways Id have handled the central concept (which I quite like) but Im gonna wait to see how the story goes before I suggest changes but it already feels undercooked.

The upgrade system is dumb and thats coming from someone who loves exploration platformers.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Tin Can Hit Man posted:

I have a friend who tried to convince me that this game had gotten a bad rap, but it took all of two hours for them to realize how wrong they were.

That game is lacking in self-awareness and absolutely full of itself to the Nth degree. It's what you get when people who grew up on media that relies on references of older media for humor try to make a video game about video games. And that's when the game isn't spending hours upon hours on non-sequitur inner monologues where the protagonist self-fellates himself and creepily obsesses about women.

Apparently the creator is every bit the pretentious douchebag you'd imagine they would be.

The video is great at explaining everything.

The protagonist is suppose to be a douche you aren't suppose to like who changes. But the problem is that he is way too much of an rear end in a top hat to the point of being a literal sociopath and telling people who have lost loved ones that "nobody cares about them".

The entire premise of the game turns out to be learn to love yourself with your flaws. However, that doesn't seem to be a good outlook since the protagonist was such a dickwad. Said dickwad also constantly gets rewarded for his bad behavior. And people always apologize toward rightfully criticising him for being an rear end in a top hat, but his responses are literally "oh no! I get it! You hate me! I see your TRUE colors now!!!"

Finally the entire game is built off of a super on the nose criticism about people who criticised the developers previous poorly received game. To the point where the protagonist of said game lectures the protagonist of this game about how people were wrong in criticising "them" and how they have to keep trying until people realize how great they actually are.

Also the game contains A LOT of monologues, much of so is the protagonist being creepily obsessed with every woman he meets, similar from Joe in YOU.

Zinkraptor posted:

Once it became clear how poorly the game (and more specifically the main character) was received, one of the creators complained that gamers just didn't get it. You see, he wanted to create a story about a lovely guy who changes, which was too radical an idea for the audience to understand - in other words, he was under the impression that he had invented character development.

To be fair, there aren't too many game protagonists, let alone JRRG protagonists who start as assholes but learn their flaws to become better people later on. I can only think of a few, which probably had no cultural impact. Such as Final Fantasy VII...

You don't remember how Ys lets you link up with and collect various beings to do special attacks and party focused combos?

Barudak posted:

Indivisible is wild in terms of pacing and Im having fun, but good lord someone please remove the second city in the game being hideous backer rewards people the town.

I see you've never played Skullgirls.

punk rebel ecks fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Jan 28, 2020

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Yiik cares only about the beats to the process of change, not change itself, because it literally does not understand the difference.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Didn't the YIIK developer also suddenly swerve to "It doesn't actually take place in 1999!" when people called out how the timeline doesn't make sense with what people say about themselves and their childhood interests, and how the MC looks more like the stereotypical 00-10s hipster.

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins

punk rebel ecks posted:

The video is great at explaining everything.

The protagonist is suppose to be a douche you aren't suppose to like who changes. But the problem is that he is way too much of an rear end in a top hat to the point of being a literal sociopath and telling people who have lost loved ones that "nobody cares about them".

The entire premise of the game turns out to be learn to love yourself with your flaws. However, that doesn't seem to be a good outlook since the protagonist was such a dickwad. Said dickwad also constantly gets rewarded for his bad behavior. And people always apologize toward rightfully criticising him for being an rear end in a top hat, but his responses are literally "oh no! I get it! You hate me! I see your TRUE colors now!!!"

Finally the entire game is built off of a super on the nose criticism about people who criticised the developers previous poorly received game. To the point where the protagonist of said game lectures the protagonist of this game about how people were wrong in criticising "them" and how they have to keep trying until people realize how great they actually are.

Also the game contains A LOT of monologues, much of so is the protagonist being creepily obsessed with every woman he meets, similar from Joe in YOU.

It takes a special kind of dense to make a game about change and self-improvement and create a character who is both a self-insert and incapable of being likeable or becoming a better person.

Loving yourself and your flaws works when your flaws are a) harmless things that don't really hurt anyone, and b) things you are actively working on to improve. Being a self-centered man-baby who only thinks of themselves doesn't need to love themselves any more than they already do. If anything they need to love themselves a little bit less.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

Barudak posted:

Even flammable starter village? I thought those looked more cohesive than these later ones. Honestly the worst part is they aren't animated/drawn the same way as the narrative characters so they look like even more like "OC do not steal" than they already are.

Ajna is fine with me, I like their voice actor, and she hits a good mix of shonen protagonist traits for the story. Dhar's plot is a weird combination of tropey and unsatisfying, probably because this game is traveling at approximately 12 million miles an hour narratively so hes not getting the time needed to breathe. Is there a particular bit you were curious about?

My bigger issue is the cast of characters is so large that while Ive got several more to collect I already dont think shirtless muscle guy will ever get another line of dialog since collecting him. I feel like there are other ways Id have handled the central concept (which I quite like) but Im gonna wait to see how the story goes before I suggest changes but it already feels undercooked.

The upgrade system is dumb and thats coming from someone who loves exploration platformers.

Oh you're right, those weren't OCs. They're kinda omnipresent in every area so I honestly forgot some of the normal NPCs.

Not asking about anything specific, just curious about opinions. And yeah the pacing of the game is absolutely bonkers.

Any optional party members basically don't exist as far as the plot cares, and some aren't even voiced outside battle other than a single endgame scene.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
the funny thing about his "people weren't used to character development" is that i'm more surprised these days when a game *doesn't* do it for any character who isn't a cypher/stand-in silent protagonist, mainly because the Don Giovanni/Scarlett o'Hara "character who spends the entire story not learning a goddamn thing" thing is hard to pull off well.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
jokes about ys game titles being unpronounceable are weird to me cause it's not like the name ys isn't literally pulled from existing mythology with a common pronunciation you can look up and even at the weirdest of the series' subtitles "lacrimosa" is just an actual word pulled from latin

now i don't really know what the "nox" of monstrum nox is supposed to mean but nox is an easy word and it sounds cool

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Feels Villeneuve posted:

the funny thing about his "people weren't used to character development" is that i'm more surprised these days when a game *doesn't* do it for any character who isn't a cypher/stand-in silent protagonist, mainly because the Don Giovanni/Scarlett o'Hara "character who spends the entire story not learning a goddamn thing" thing is hard to pull off well.

Scarlett learns her lessons...when the story is over and it's too late.

Quite frankly, I'd be shocked to see a heroine like Scarlett in a JRPG. It would be just as revolutionary now as it was back then, a lady protagonist who is fiercely independent to the point of selfishness.She's a bad person but it's an intentional, incredibly believable type of badness.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Jan 28, 2020

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
that's kinda garian in the first parallel of dark savior? not a lady but the part where he doesn't learn his lesson until everything is hosed up beyond repair

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

The Colonel posted:

now i don't really know what the "nox" of monstrum nox is supposed to mean but nox is an easy word and it sounds cool

adol's on the lookout for the devil's nitrous so he can do sick burnouts on his adventures

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

The Colonel posted:

Nox is latin for night.

e: Some googling implies it can also mean dream, which I didn't know.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

CottonWolf posted:

Nox is latin for night.

ah, thanks

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Maybe the game could have worked as a satire of "you are fine the way you are" end message like A Clockwork Orange did.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
yiik wouldn't have worked as anything because the devs are weirdos whose most interesting accomplishment is utterly failing to grasp any basic element of storytelling or game design without creating something horrible

it would be one thing if yiik was just a poorly made game but everything surrounding the devs and its own development is so weird and gross that it actively feels discomforting to look at, let alone play. actually playing the drat game feels like you're immersing yourself in a vat of slime

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Jan 28, 2020

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins

NikkolasKing posted:

Scarlett learns her lessons...when the story is over and it's too late.

Quite frankly, I'd be shocked to see a heroine like Scarlett in a JRPG. It would be just as revolutionary now as it was back then, a lady protagonist who is fiercely independent to the point of selfishness.She's a bad person but it's an intentional, incredibly believable type of badness.

I think some examples exist, but I don't think that was a central focus or element of any JRPG that immediately comes to mind. And if I'm absolutely honest, I'm not sure how well-received a game that tried to make that the central focus would be appreciated, or that people would get the (un?)subtle nuance of how women being selfish can be a revolutionary act, whereas men being selfish can't. Not in the same way, anyhow.

That YIIK got made -- and be as absolutely tone deaf about it's content as it was -- could only happen in the kind of culture where guys like that genuinely believe that their unlikeable inner self-fellatio is not just something relatable, but something to be celebrated and put on a pedestal to be appreciated by all.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Tin Can Hit Man posted:

I think some examples exist, but I don't think that was a central focus or element of any JRPG that immediately comes to mind. And if I'm absolutely honest, I'm not sure how well-received a game that tried to make that the central focus would be appreciated, or that people would get the subtle nuance of how women being selfish can be a revolutionary act, whereas men being selfish can't.

There's Shon from Xenosaga although her selfishness is the kind born from trauma and fear more than anything. Her arc isn't about being independent, kind of the opposite.

Still, Shion definitely stands out among JRPG heroines in my experience. A leading lady who is abrasive and highly flawed is a welcome change of pace in general.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i think we should all play drakengard 3

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

i tried that already when it came out and no

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
it's a good game

wish they'd rerelease it on a newer system with a more stable framerate tho

when it can actually run decently its combat isn't great but it's serviceable enough for the game to be kinda fun

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

The Colonel posted:

i think we should all play drakengard 3

I will happily play it again, sure

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Wonder if the PS3 emulator makes it work better.

And speaking of Taro, I forget Kaine as I was reflecting on the JRPG ladies I know and liked. I like a lot of them, just many would not qualify as all that flawed and antagonistic.

Ashe from FFXII or Lightning from FFXIII could qualify and that's obviously as mainstream as JRPGs can get.

Still, more male healers would be nice. FFXIII strikes again since Hope is a Sage and is equal parts good at healing and attack magic.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=49gLC9yiGOg

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Squall is probably the best example I can think of of actually doing the "unlikable to the point of being hostile to a player" thing well, but FF8 will always remain a cult game for (several) reasons.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Luke Tales of Abyss

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Luke from Tales of the Abyss.

Velvet from Berseria is also kind of a selfish leading lady as mentioned, but I think the way it plays out is quite different from what we've been discussing.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Mine would be Luke but his whole thing was being literally 5 or so, and also extremely sheltered which kinda justifies being whiny.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
lmao

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Squall is probably the best example I can think of of actually doing the "unlikable to the point of being hostile to a player" thing well, but FF8 will always remain a cult game for (several) reasons.

Even Cloud fits the bill well. He starts off pretty mercenary about his part in Avalanche. Finding out he wasn't even second banana to Sephiroth, but just another assorted nut, pulls the rug out from under him really effectively. Which makes his attempts to live up to those standards his very heroes couldn't live up to all the more endearing.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Feels Villeneuve posted:

tbh a lot of that is just. the english translation. he's not supposed to come off so strongly in the jp text iirc

Samuringa posted:

Mine would be Luke but his whole thing was being literally 5 or so, and also extremely sheltered which kinda justifies being whiny.

he's not quite supposed to literally be mentally 5, the fact that he's super sheltered and treated weirdly by his family has more to do with why he is the way he is

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

yeah squall is less standoffish and more apologetic in jp..or it comes across better at times that he's uncomfortable and just wants out. waaah...stop teasing me...

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

GulagDolls posted:

yeah squall is less standoffish and more apologetic in jp..or it comes across better at times that he's uncomfortable and just wants out. waaah...stop teasing me...

I dunno I think I prefer the English there, you can usually still tell that's what's going on underneath but Squall hiding that under abrasive prickly teenagerdom seems more interesting to me?

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

he's still prickly. just more 'leave me alone.' the constant 'whatever'ing in eng can come off as really harsh.

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins
Squall's story is weakened a bit imho on account of the whole he and his friends were all a part of the plan all along and whatnot.

But hell if that sequence where he struggles to find his way back to his friends doesn't get me every time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I'm glad that Rinoa is initially attracted to Squall just because he's hot.