Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

vodkat posted:

Still not all that equal, and of course big skew towards London and commuters into London, but as good a way England up as anything else

Bring back the heptarchy imo

Edit: 130 AD - A law is passed in Rome banning the execution of slaves without a trial. Expect this to be repealed shortly by Bozza as part of taking back ~our freedoms~ from those dastardly Continentals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

vodkat posted:

Still not all that equal, and of course big skew towards London and commuters into London, but as good a way England up as anything else

Just have Norf Laarndon and Saarf Laarndon as two separate ones, then split the South East into South (I guess home counties plus Hampshire?) and East.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I feel like I might have to go south at some point in my life so I can see where they put all these bloody people if we only have 2.6 million of them in my bit.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
It's all one giant mass of writhing flesh south of Bedford.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Guavanaut posted:

I appreciate you singling me out as saved.

e: vvv you motehr fucker

Tesseraction fucked around with this message at 11:54 on Jan 29, 2020

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Guavanaut posted:

FTFY

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;
Stagger the regions so no one contiguous polygon holds more than 20 areas rated as Severe on the indices of multiple deprivation. Give each a vote.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Total Meatlove posted:

Stagger the regions so no one contiguous polygon holds more than 20 areas rated as Severe on the indices of multiple deprivation. Give each a vote.

Looks like we'd be ruled from Glasgow

https://simd.scot/#/simd2020/BTTTFTT/10.99103559343283/-4.2512/55.8508/

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

Vegan fudge report- very pleasant flavour though different from dairy based. Texture has come out almost like tablet- crumbly and melt-on-your-tongue.

It’s really very more-ish.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Speaking of, Limmy talking about Glinner being a oval office and UBI:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-LZr4-4vI8

Who would have thought that Glinner doesn't want workers to control the means of production :thunk:

mediadave
Sep 8, 2011

feedmegin posted:

Bring back the heptarchy imo

This but unironically. If federalism is to work, it needs to be units that people can identify with. 'South west' 'south east' etc are just souless

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Speaking of, Limmy talking about Glinner being a oval office and UBI:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-LZr4-4vI8

Who would have thought that Glinner doesn't want workers to control the means of production :thunk:

Didn't know he streamed Souls! He's exclusively done Eurotruck whenever I've looked in.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

mediadave posted:

This but unironically. If federalism is to work, it needs to be units that people can identify with. 'South west' 'south east' etc are just souless
Yorkshire already has a pretty strong identity.

Need to bring back the Coritanian Empire for the East Midlands to have anything to identify around though.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

stev posted:

Didn't know he streamed Souls! He's exclusively done Eurotruck whenever I've looked in.
He was doing Goose game for a bit, but I think this was a while ago. My main takeaway from this, like with every time I watch a streamer, was glancing at the amounts people have donated. :psyduck:

After the Star War pod, I also have a hot take on the new Picard show, and how it mirrors real world centrism mourning the loss of their 90s end-of-history status quo, looking for answers while refusing to engage with the margins of society created by their lovely attempts at peace (or more accurately, by shoving all the war and poverty elsewhere and pretending it doesn't exist).

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

I would be a Westsaex brought up in Mercia living in Northumbria. Sounds like trouble.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

OwlFancier posted:

I feel like I might have to go south at some point in my life so I can see where they put all these bloody people if we only have 2.6 million of them in my bit.

On an average Monday morning at 0830 there are 800,000 people on the London Underground, which makes it the 8th-most-populous urban area in the UK. If you add in all the other forms of public transport under TfL then it comes to about 1.4 million, which puts it in at number 5. So if you're wondering where everyone is in London, it's mostly travelling somewhere else.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

What you're saying is londoners are morlocks.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Hey look, someone drew a perfectly accurate picture of all the newbuilds around the edge of my village.

(It is the bad one.)

Fortunately not where my house is.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

OwlFancier posted:

What you're saying is londoners are morlocks.

Only about 40% of the Underground is actually underground, depending on exactly how you count the sub-surface lines, but "Mostly over the ground but under it in the middle" was a bit tricky to fit into the roundels.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Camrath posted:

Fudge orders for Valentine’s Day will be opening within 24 hours, but I just wanted to let you guys know that our first batch of vegan fudge is currently cooling!

So if you’re a vegan, lactose intolerant or just want to try something a bit different, your needs will now be catered to :)

At the moment it’s a plain vanilla flavour, but I’m planning a range of different ones to supplement our collection of dairy based treats. :)

Oh heck yeah!

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

baka kaba posted:

Do comma havers still say the local equivalent of "point" though?

not me, its name's "comma", which is understood as "the thing that's the decimal separator". and yeah when I realized someone used periods instead I thought it was p weird too, I would hazard about equally weird as you find it. the rabbit hole doesn't end there either, using a period to separate thousands like "100.000,00" would be a coherent if ill-advised way to write the number "one million". I think the French also do this, and other places too for sure. A more common way is to use a space separating the thousands, like "100 000,00"

numbers are represented and understood mentally in lots of ways that don't come across over the internet. like, around here we usually memorize longer numbers like phone numbers in digit groups of two, so I'd only parse something like

by mental conversion into "zero seven eighty-seven, sixty-five forty-three twenty-one". The written format I'd use would never be anything other than "0787-65 43 21", anything else looks ugly and wrong to me. If someone reads my phone number back to me to confirm it, but they use some other format, I'd have to convert it mentally first

I've been led to believe english-speakers usually don't do this? This is only the second-most common verbal phone number format in use here though, behind the wrong and ugly "zero, seven hundred-and-eighty-seven, sixty-five forty-three twenty-one". the "seven hundred and eighty-something" is a lot less cumbersome to say in Swedish, which it has in common with some, but definitely not all, other continental germanics languages

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
This is interesting and encouraging - not just that it happened, but that the NEC are acknowledging that it happened and packaging it in an appealing way:

https://twitter.com/gabriel_pogrund/status/1222191658260992000?s=21

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Nah we just say all the numbers, usually with a pause in an appropriate place but people don't always agree where that should be.

Area code of (usually) 5 digits, local code of six digits pronounced however feels good.

Oh one two eight five, seven four oh, two nine eight.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Only about 40% of the Underground is actually underground, depending on exactly how you count the sub-surface lines, but "Mostly over the ground but under it in the middle" was a bit tricky to fit into the roundels.
Everyone else manages.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Guavanaut posted:

Hey look, someone drew a perfectly accurate picture of all the newbuilds around the edge of my village.

(It is the bad one.)

Fortunately not where my house is.
The issue with the shortcut paths is that (at least in this town), nobody uses them because they tend to get stabbed.

Also you get lost easy because every new build looks exactly the same, and the streets curve into each other to create a non euclidean puzzle from which it is impossible to escape.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

not me, its name's "comma", which is understood as "the thing that's the decimal separator". and yeah when I realized someone used periods instead I thought it was p weird too, I would hazard about equally weird as you find it. the rabbit hole doesn't end there either, using a period to separate thousands like "100.000,00" would be a coherent if ill-advised way to write the number "one million". I think the French also do this, and other places too for sure. A more common way is to use a space separating the thousands, like "100 000,00"

numbers are represented and understood mentally in lots of ways that don't come across over the internet. like, around here we usually memorize longer numbers like phone numbers in digit groups of two, so I'd only parse something like

by mental conversion into "zero seven eighty-seven, sixty-five forty-three twenty-one". The written format I'd use would never be anything other than "0787-65 43 21", anything else looks ugly and wrong to me. If someone reads my phone number back to me to confirm it, but they use some other format, I'd have to convert it mentally first

I've been led to believe english-speakers usually don't do this? This is only the second-most common verbal phone number format in use here though, behind the wrong and ugly "zero, seven hundred-and-eighty-seven, sixty-five forty-three twenty-one". the "seven hundred and eighty-something" is a lot less cumbersome to say in Swedish, which it has in common with some, but definitely not all, other continental germanics languages

This is interesting, and something I noticed in the Germanic areas I grew up in. We had 6 digit landline numbers (small country!) and people would always say them

sixty-seven, twenty-one, thirty-four

Whereas in English, I would always say six seven two one three four. More confusingly, these Germanic languages say their two-digit numbers backwards, so it would be

seven-and-sixty, one-and-twenty, four-and-thirty

So you have to wait for the conclusion of each pair, or write the digits down really weirdly (right-hand one then left-hand one, and repeat). So I found this illogical, and thought these languages would be perfect candidates for the one-digit-at-a-time method.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Also I have actually tried to walk places in a straight line and you would be surprised how far a contiguous set of garden fencing can go I tell you hwat.

Hadrian would have been an estate designer if he'd been alive today.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Guavanaut posted:

Everyone else manages.

That's always been the funniest thing to me, because "Metro" as a name for an urban rapid-transit system comes, of course, from the Metropolitan Railway (now the Metropolitan Line and most of the District and Circle Lines), the first underground railway in the world.

The reason we don't use that name in London is because all of the other underground lines desperately wanted to not give the Met the free publicity - "the tube" as slang for the Underground started as a deliberate marketing push by the City and South London (now bits of the Northern Line) both to supplant the then-current slang terms for their railway - "The Asylum" and "The Coffin" because of the windowless, dark-wood-and-padding layout of their carriages - and to emphasise how much more modern their circular-tunneled little electric railways, dug with tunneling shields were than the Met which needed big square cut-and-cover tunnels to accommodate their steam engines.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Bobstar posted:

This is interesting, and something I noticed in the Germanic areas I grew up in. We had 6 digit landline numbers (small country!) and people would always say them

sixty-seven, twenty-one, thirty-four

Whereas in English, I would always say six seven two one three four. More confusingly, these Germanic languages say their two-digit numbers backwards, so it would be

seven-and-sixty, one-and-twenty, four-and-thirty

So you have to wait for the conclusion of each pair, or write the digits down really weirdly (right-hand one then left-hand one, and repeat). So I found this illogical, and thought these languages would be perfect candidates for the one-digit-at-a-time method.

*laughs in quatre vignt dix neuf*

(four twenties ten and nine, a very normal way to say ninety nine)

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

And to disenfranchise you’d have to improve living standards. It’s win win

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

OwlFancier posted:

That s a weird way to say nonante-neuf?

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

double nine posted:

That s a weird way to say nonante-neuf?

:siren: BELGIAN SPOTTED :siren:

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Bobstar posted:

we're only ever really genius-level great at learning language when we're idiots in every other sense so all our feelings about language are probably wrong. I'd expect the verbal representation to take precedence--it's the one learned first, after all. I agree that using "most significant digit" order for mental representation feels better, but german's got lots of linguistic stuff that seems backwards to me--there's nothing stopping them from mentally processing a number as if it were "a series of two-digit decimal numbers, read from right to left (in least-to-most significant digit order)". they shouldn't, sure, but there's nothing stopping them

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

https://twitter.com/jewdas/status/1222233026140176385?s=20

Jewdas continue to be excellent.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

Bobby Deluxe posted:

The issue with the shortcut paths is that (at least in this town), nobody uses them because they tend to get stabbed.

Also you get lost easy because every new build looks exactly the same, and the streets curve into each other to create a non euclidean puzzle from which it is impossible to escape.

Getting stabbed, mugged or robbed is an inseparable aspect of living in poorer areas. Solution: Don't live near poor people.

*Laughs in Tory*

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
the wrongest language is danish. even they can't defend their numbering system

quote:

The Danish number names are too confusing for kids learning maths, says a neuro mathematics researcher, proposing that Danes adopt the numeral system used by their Scandinavian neighbours in Sweden and Norway.

In Danish, counting above 50 is centred around a base 20 number system, called ‘vigesimal’, whereas most languages use the much simpler decimal numeral system, which is based on 10.

The Danish number 50, for example, is halvtreds (short for halvtredje sinds tyve) – or to say it numerically, 2.5 x 20.

This and further complications with Danish numerals has inspired researcher Lisser Rye Ejersbo and her colleagues at the University of Aarhus to propose that Danes adopt a simpler way of talking about numbers. She suggests a decimal-based system such as the Swedish one, where 50 is femti (five ten).

“The Danish numbers are a hurdle for children trying to learn mathematics,” she told science weekly Ingeniøren. “If you don’t fully understand how the numbers are positioned in relation to the words, you’ll have trouble understanding numbers in general. The names of Danish numbers say nothing about the numbers themselves.”

That, according to Ejersbo, is one explanation for Danish kids’ bad maths results, highlighted in the recently published Programme for International Student Assessment (PISA).

“What sets the Danish usage apart is that we say the numbers in reverse order, and that’s not logical for the kids.” The Danish 71, for instance, is called enoghalvfjerds (1 and 3½ x 20).

In France they also use old vigesimal names, but theirs is in the right order – as with the French number 91 (quatre-vingt-onze), which is 4 x 20 + 11.

She pointed out that some Danish teachers have started telling the smallest school kids the number names in Swedish to make it easier for them to understand numbers.

The Danish Language Council has backed the proposal, but the council doubts if such a change would work in practice.

“It would be great if we could change the Danish number names,” said Margrethe Heidemann Andersen, a researcher at the language council. “But it wouldn’t work because once we have learned the number names, we have internalised them to such a degree that replacing them would probably cause even more confusion.”

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

For some reason a lot of languages are really in love with base 20. It's in older english too, and yan tan tethera is also base 20.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

the wrongest language is danish. even they can't defend their numbering system

Wow. Didn't know about that one. That's pretty out there.

OwlFancier posted:

Yeah, try working across France, Belgium and Switzerland. The French are wholly committed to their silliness (sixty-ten, sixty-eleven, four-twenties, four-twenties-fifteen). As Trin Tragula says, the Belgians declared this "too silly" and use septante and nonante, but keep quatre-vingts for some reason. The Swiss did away with that too and use huitante.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Welcome to a world called Gor! *whipcrack*

Sorry i know that makes no sense on this page but i refuse to go back and quote someone to provide context

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

quote:

A 15-month-old Croatian child understands approximately 150 words, while a Danish child of the same age understands just 84 on average.

It’s not because Danish kids are dumb, or because Croatian kids are geniuses. It’s because Danish has too many vowel sounds, according to Dorthe Bleses, a linguist at the Center for Child Language at the University of Southern Denmark.

“The number of vowels has big significance for how difficult it is to learn a language. Many vowels makes a difficult language,” Bleses told Weekendavisen newspaper in 2011.

Forty vowel sounds to master
The official number of vowels in Danish is nine: a, e, i, o, u, æ, ø, å and y.

“’Y’ isn’t a vowel,” you say? Well, in Danish it is. In Danish, even consonants are vowels.

But written Danish is not the issue. The problems start when Danes speak. In spoken speech, Danish actually has some 40 vowel sounds, explained Bleses, depending upon where the vowels are placed in words and sentence strings.
'

The stuff about vowels is wrong though. danish doesn't use any vowels, they use something halfway between diphthong and vomit

quote:

While marvelling at Danish pronunciation is an amusing pastime for tourists, immigrants and other Scandinavians, the irony is that the pronunciation is terribly hard even for Danish children to learn.

Bleses researched how children in seven different cultures acquire their native languages. Of the seven – Danish, Swedish, Dutch, French, American English, Croatian and Galician – she found that Danish was the most difficult for children to learn.

yeah well, not to mention, it's not a beautiful language. Swedish isn't always pretty to be sure. but if you're into (genuine) vowel there's nowhere better.. particularly a bit to the north

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rgYVwhOlTl0

now that's some very nice vowel