Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Kale posted:

He hates anything or anyone that criticizes him in any way it doesnt matter what he thought the day before. Literally any action he takes can be explained this way, hes that one dimensional. If they praise the poo poo out of him for something tommorrow he'll share it and it'll be like this never happened

His hatred means little now. Much like everything Trump has done, it was effective at first but diminishing returns have left it less effective than a limp dick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

okay i turned on sekulow and he's whining about Carter Page lol

and now he's literally yelling about Comey

their conclusion is going well

ManBoyChef
Aug 1, 2019

Deadbeat Dad

Kale posted:

For what its worth I've generally found that assessments of his tenure as senate minority leader as completely capitulating to all GOP demands all the time to be largely exaggerated. Hes not an exciting politician, hes not the guy you look to for a sick own or belligerent nonsense like Republicans (and thats not necessarily a bad thing),but he does seem to have the right of it most times I've heard him speak. I can't entirely blame the guy for Mitch McConnell hijacking the senate as majority leader either.

the problem with schumer is the fact he takes corporate money.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

i'm a little confused, by the way: does any of this extend the trial or are they still going to try and cram the whole thing in before superbowl

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

cash crab posted:

i'm a little confused, by the way: does any of this extend the trial or are they still going to try and cram the whole thing in before superbowl

bolton testifying will for sure extend the trial, though who knows by how long

we won't know if that's definitely happening until late friday, probably

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

eke out posted:

okay i turned on sekulow and he's whining about Carter Page lol

and now he's literally yelling about Comey

their conclusion is going well

Audience of 1, they get paid either way (unless Trump is stiffing them, which he probably is lol)

Sekulow is possibly the dumbest lawyer alive

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
I know this is not what he's trying to do, but Sekulow is presenting a hell of a case for Bolton testifying.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Not a Children posted:

Sekulow is possibly the dumbest lawyer alive

i read this and then looked at twitter and

https://twitter.com/kyledcheney/status/1222232906644541441

great point jay! it's hearsay, we need Bolton's testimony under oath

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Jesus. Apparently what we got was the short version of their Mueller, Mueller, Mueller presentation.

Skex
Feb 22, 2012

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.
Sekulow is full of a bunch of nonsense

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

So apparently the Senate R line on Bolton (at this particular moment) is that a) the conversation that Bolton says he had with the President never happened, and b) it's covered by executive privilege.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

SubG posted:

So apparently the Senate R line on Bolton (at this particular moment) is that a) the conversation that Bolton says he had with the President never happened, and b) it's covered by executive privilege.

Their argument is...the conversation that is in his book never happened and even though it never happened it's covered by executive privilege despite the fact it's in the book means that it's not under executive privilege but it never happened therefore :psyboom:

Do I have that right?

WaterSong
Sep 13, 2009

:buddy: Ma Me Mi Mo Mu
At least this guy is being transparent about his strategy to induce fear with zero content.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

mdemone posted:

Wait, Nixon v. U.S. is about impeachment but unrelated to Richard Nixon?!? :psyduck:
In a bizarre twist of fate, a judge named Nixon was arrested and sentenced to jail but refused to resign. The Senate, instead of having full proceedings like we're seeing now, has a quick vote in committee - the judge was LITERALLY in jail and unable to serve. Judge sues, claiming he didn't get a fair impeachment trial. Majority opinion was "Senate makes the rules, says so right in the Constitution, judiciary can't do anything".

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/nycsouthpaw/status/1222242146490769413?s=20

:allears:

Kale
May 14, 2010

ManBoyChef posted:

the problem with schumer is the fact he takes corporate money.

Thats been a problem with congress in general for a long long time so you might as well hold it against all of them.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Yup, Judge Nixon wanted a full review/trial by the Senate, judiciary said suck it a committee and vote is all you get

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Mike Braun continuing to be so outspoken in his desire to pretend literally nothing has happened is making me wonder just what kind of mausoleum is in his closet.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

I really wish my state didn't vote that idiot in.

ManBoyChef
Aug 1, 2019

Deadbeat Dad

Kale posted:

Thats been a problem with congress in general for a long long time so you might as well hold it against all of them.

Indeed I do. Its a sick sad system. It crushes the poor and allows the elites to put their fingers in everything to acquire more wealth and power.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Angry_Ed posted:

Their argument is...the conversation that is in his book never happened and even though it never happened it's covered by executive privilege despite the fact it's in the book means that it's not under executive privilege but it never happened therefore :psyboom:

Do I have that right?
I think that's more or less it, yes. I think this is predicated on a muddy notion of absolute executive privilege, like by default everything takes place under it and even if there's a fuckup it still counts no takebacks. At this stage I'm not convinced that they're not confusing executive privilege with the Cone of Silence.

So the shrieking cloud of blood and madness under a comb-over that they have on the NewsHour stream to represent the Republican side just got done arguing that this whole Russian election interference thing is overblown and people spend too much time worrying about it.

But low-key the thing that keeps sticking with me is that the Republicans seem to have successfully shifted the discussion into whether or not Trump might have some legitimate interest in corruption investigations in Ukraine (which by itself is pretty lol, imaging actually believing in Trump as an anticorruption crusader), and not how even if that was the case what he actually did is holy lol not how you'd go about that kind of investigation. And I don't mean the qpq poo poo. I mean like everyone seems to have just accepted for the purposes of this discussion that it's okay for the President to unilaterally just decide to start secret investigations into US citizens.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

McConnel confirms:

- questions begin tomorrow at 1:00pm
- 8 hours each tomorrow and Thursday
- questions are submitted in writing to the Chief Justice (and can be directed to either side), read in alternating order, one D one R
- roughly 5 minutes apiece, but not a strict time limit on responses

eke out fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Jan 28, 2020

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

SubG posted:

But low-key the thing that keeps sticking with me is that the Republicans seem to have successfully shifted the discussion into whether or not Trump might have some legitimate interest in corruption investigations in Ukraine (which by itself is pretty lol, imaging actually believing in Trump as an anticorruption crusader), and not how even if that was the case what he actually did is holy lol not how you'd go about that kind of investigation. And I don't mean the qpq poo poo. I mean like everyone seems to have just accepted for the purposes of this discussion that it's okay for the President to unilaterally just decide to start secret investigations into US citizens.

That is what the GOP is trying to say. I don't think it works very well as well can and will get torn down under the least bit of questioning.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

SubG posted:

I mean like everyone seems to have just accepted for the purposes of this discussion that it's okay for the President to unilaterally just decide to start secret investigations into US citizens.

Unless it's Barack Obama using his secret microwave oven spy drones.

I'm actually surprised though that the GOP is going in that direction given that during the House hearings several Democratic congresspeople were like "Trump is insanely corrupt, here's some examples, are we really supposed to believe he cared about fighting corruption?" I don't really think it's the GOP's best line of attack (as usual their best line of attack has been to throw Trump under the bus but they're too scared of a dementia-addled narcissist to do that, and/or they're all part of the corrupt grift)

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

oxsnard posted:

https://twitter.com/Acosta/status/1222201460219424768

looks like trump is gonna fight bolton testimony

No it won't. The chief justice is right there, he'll decide in moments.

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan

eke out posted:

McConnel confirms:

- questions are submitted in writing to the Chief Justice (and can be directed to either side), read in alternating order, one D one R

questions to whom?

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

InsertPotPun posted:

questions to whom?
House Managers and White House lawyers.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

eke out posted:

McConnel confirms:

Mr. Schiff, have you considered the case of up your butt vs. a coconut?

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

eke out posted:

McConnel confirms:

If one side runs out of questions they just keep going with the other side’s, right?

E: Or I’m misreading and it means all questions from a single senator (up to five minutes) and then they move on to an opposing senator, with red getting a couple in a row at the end?

Stickman fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Jan 28, 2020

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
I managed to tune into the very end to hear Mitch unfurl from his shell long enough to speak.

I feel like I heard the only relevant info I needed to in those few moments.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

hanales posted:

Mr. Schiff, have you considered the case of up your butt vs. a coconut?

*Schiff convinces everyone but the Republican Senators to add coconut to their diet for the fiber*

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Angry_Ed posted:

I'm actually surprised though that the GOP is going in that direction given that during the House hearings several Democratic congresspeople were like "Trump is insanely corrupt, here's some examples, are we really supposed to believe he cared about fighting corruption?"
And, you know, someone he paid off to end an investigation into one of his business interests is on his defence team.

But more than the fact that corruption is more or less Trump's brand, there's the whole Guiliani thing. On the one hand they're arguing that he's irrelevant because he was just a personal attorney acting on behalf of Trump the private citizen, but on the other hand the thing he's been tasked with--investigating the Bidens--is only kosher because it's part of what they're arguing is a compelling public interest being pursued by the President in his role as the head of the Executive.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

Djarum posted:

Well it doesn't help that Pence has gone on the record now multiple times saying he had no knowledge or anything to do with it. If for example Bolton or Mulvaney comes right out and says Pence was in the room or he was directly told things he is extremely hosed.

Even if they don't remove Pence he would effectively be a lame duck. I am not sure he would run for the election and I am much more skeptical he could win. Only issue for the GOP is that they have 8-9 months to figure out a candidate and get them out there. That is if Trump doesn't decide to keep running as well which would be their nightmare scenario there.

Speaking of lame ducks and the thought of Pence...

If Pence gets removed somehow too, that means Pelosi becomes president, right? I know it's an impossibility but my god that would be the most hilarious pike up Trump's rear end.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Framboise posted:

Speaking of lame ducks and the thought of Pence...

If Pence gets removed somehow too, that means Pelosi becomes president, right? I know it's an impossibility but my god that would be the most hilarious pike up Trump's rear end.

They would definitely stagger it so that Pence has time to name a VP which would then replace him if the GOP felt it was going to come to that.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

PIZZA.BAT posted:

They would definitely stagger it so that Pence has time to name a VP which would then replace him if the GOP felt it was going to come to that.

As per the 25th Amendment (the boring part that isn't about the President dying or going nuts) a replacement VP has to be confirmed by both houses, so that would be a fun fight.

haveblue fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Jan 28, 2020

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

PIZZA.BAT posted:

"I name Donald Trump wearing a fake mustache as my new VP"

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

haveblue posted:

As per the 25th Amendment (the part that isn't about the President dying or going nuts) a replacement VP has to be confirmed by both houses, so that would be a fun fight.

Merrick Garland

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Not a Children posted:

Merrick Garland

was not approved by both houses? what's your argument here?

the point is that they can't just rush in a VP pick without getting the house to say okay so either you're agreeing in a weird way or you missed the point

nerox
May 20, 2001

No Safe Word posted:

was not approved by both houses? what's your argument here?

the point is that they can't just rush in a VP pick without getting the house to say okay so either you're agreeing in a weird way or you missed the point

Maybe he means Garland would be the only VP that the house would confirm, as a piece of obstructionist performance art by the Democratic House.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ryde
Sep 9, 2011

God I love young girls

Kale posted:

For what its worth I've generally found that assessments of his tenure as senate minority leader as completely capitulating to all GOP demands all the time to be largely exaggerated. Hes not an exciting politician, hes not the guy you look to for a sick own or belligerent nonsense like Republicans (and thats not necessarily a bad thing),but he does seem to have the right of it most times I've heard him speak. I can't entirely blame the guy for Mitch McConnell hijacking the senate as majority leader either.

I've noticed that a lot of people tend to expect that politicians taking stands will lead to "everyone stood up and clapped" moments on the floor rather than what actually seems to happen.