Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013

number one pta fan posted:

It's not a power-trip thing. I played the first hour with a few different configurations and realised the cast of alternate narrators your stats represent and how they create different versions of the text with different genre hallmarks for different players is relevant to my studies. The intended effect is instead of playing 4422/2244 or 6***/*6**/**6*/***6 I can see and compare those experiences without needing to sink an awful lot of time into it. I'm mostly finished with my actual for fun run.

you will miss out on a lot where your lack of skill in particular areas affects the narrative and I dont just mean failing checks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!
I think one thing the 6666 run has over the norm run is that you hear your skills talk a lot more, which makes for a much more entertaining and lively run. I wish they chimed in more even when they're low level, even if it's just to say objectively stupid things like "Nobody's ever seen their own butthole without a mirror."

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

My suspicion from a design standpoint is that the writers and designers wanted to make you think you picked the 'right' skills. In every cRPG with a heavy non-combat focus, you're always guessing which skills and stats will be the ones that 'come up all the time'. By keeping your low skills quieter and having your high skills pipe up, it gives the impression they picked the skills that are active and involved and might help some with decision/build paralysis.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug

FistEnergy posted:

Can you reach the end of the Dick Mullen book? The pages always fall out when I try to read it.

I doubt it, but you can speak to another fan of the series about it.

There's a lot of things you can't do that you want to. Like forget the scent of apricots.

Caufman
May 7, 2007

TommyGun85 posted:

this is not a good idea.

Hard disagree. 6/6/6/6 may not be a good first run, but as a second or third run, it's enjoyable. Couple it with Precarious World to see skill and failure manifest together.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

besides you get locked out of several thoughts because you are too much in some aspects to have them

for example, boiadeiro requires you to not have a certain level in encyclopedia, otherwise it will block the gently caress out out of inland empire by saying NO because you know too much about the subject to even entertain the notion

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Do a 1/1/1/1 run with electrochemistry signature.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

dead gay comedy forums posted:

for example, boiadeiro requires you to not have a certain level in encyclopedia, otherwise it will block the gently caress out out of inland empire by saying NO because you know too much about the subject to even entertain the notion
That's not true.
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1894736429

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Arianya posted:

I think the existence of pale stuff that is both confirmed to be real but also left very abstract - the closest thing you get to seeing it in action is Ruby's noise machine - leaves a sense of mystery for what could happen in a sequel.

Besides, only one crypto organism has been confirmed to exist by the endgame reveal. Judging by the number of rumoured species given it's extremely unlikely most of them are anything more then hoaxes and/or racial stereotypes mythologized to make them more acceptable.

This last bit isn't true by the way. As a touch of weirdness to their world, you can learn in talks that something like 4 crypto organisms have been discovered throughout history. So most of it seems to be bullshit, but their freak rear end world does occasionally just have some weird nonsense creature discovered.

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

Mulva posted:

This last bit isn't true by the way. As a touch of weirdness to their world, you can learn in talks that something like 4 crypto organisms have been discovered throughout history. So most of it seems to be bullshit, but their freak rear end world does occasionally just have some weird nonsense creature discovered.

Yeah I was aware of those 4, just person I was responding to seemed to believe the phasmid confirmed *all* crypto organisms which as you say, highly unlikely

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Mulva posted:

So, here's a super ridiculous idea...

I think the cryptids raise some interesting questions: Why include them? What do they add? What do they represent?

It's such a strange idea, to essentially present bigfoot, have people and evidence declare his very existence to be absurd, and then factually prove him to be real (in the context of the game). It's an awful lot of buildup for a seemingly absurd idea.

I have a pet theory that cryptids represent Utopian ideals. A lot of people know about them, but nobody believes they can exist in our reality. The fact that you actually encounter one hanging out next to a communist seems to support the theory, and the fact that it actually DOES suggests that the utopia we desire can also exist, at least within the minds of the authors.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

FistEnergy posted:

Can you reach the end of the Dick Mullen book? The pages always fall out when I try to read it.

There are a handful of impossible checks in the game, like That One Door. Catching the pages is another. No matter how many points you invest or how many times you retry the check, you will never know whodunnit for certain.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Cpt_Obvious posted:

I think the cryptids raise some interesting questions: Why include them? What do they add? What do they represent?

It's such a strange idea, to essentially present bigfoot, have people and evidence declare his very existence to be absurd, and then factually prove him to be real (in the context of the game). It's an awful lot of buildup for a seemingly absurd idea.

I have a pet theory that cryptids represent Utopian ideals. A lot of people know about them, but nobody believes they can exist in our reality. The fact that you actually encounter one hanging out next to a communist seems to support the theory, and the fact that it actually DOES suggests that the utopia we desire can also exist, at least within the minds of the authors.

I don't think it needs to represent anything, people get too attached to allegorical readings sometimes. It does fit in with some of the stronger themes in DE tho, especially one of holding on onto hope. There's still hope for you as a person, and you gotta hold on to that even if it seems like everything is dying because sometimes you just stumble upon something magical and life-altering. The phasmid quest is all about buying into a silly chase based on the dreams of one woman and not expecting anything to come out of it...until it does.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Should keep in mind that a cryptid that's been discovered and confirmed to exist just becomes an animal.

But either way I think it's correct to believe that it at least symbolises something special and mythical that really can and does exist- outside of the broken dreams of Martinaise, a police detective's destroyed psyche and a convoluted coverup for a murder that it turned out no one actually knew the real cause of. (Well okay, some connection to that last one) There's weird and cool things still in the world, all you have to do is look for them- and maybe make them.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Dias posted:

I don't think it needs to represent anything, people get too attached to allegorical readings sometimes. It does fit in with some of the stronger themes in DE tho, especially one of holding on onto hope. There's still hope for you as a person, and you gotta hold on to that even if it seems like everything is dying because sometimes you just stumble upon something magical and life-altering. The phasmid quest is all about buying into a silly chase based on the dreams of one woman and not expecting anything to come out of it...until it does.
So, in a way, the search for cryptids seems to be a search for hope. My guess is that specific hope is a hope for a better future. And in this world, as in our own, hope for a better future feels absurd. Political unrest, widespread poverty, violence; these are the antithesis to hope. However, we must always believe that positive change for the future is not only possible, but feasible.

It is proposed, if you speak to the phasmid, that the cryptid itself has some culpibility in the murder. That it may have driven the communist insane. In other words, the communist's desire for a better future included the use of violence against his oppressors, which is exactly what he did. It may not have been the primary cause for the murder, but you can't ignore the motivation of ideology.

Anyway, that's my take on it.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

really? I couldn't even try the option to do so somehow, I gave a quick google about it and that was the explanation (which happened to me, I had an encyclopedia score of 10) :(

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

dead gay comedy forums posted:

really? I couldn't even try the option to do so somehow, I gave a quick google about it and that was the explanation (which happened to me, I had an encyclopedia score of 10) :(

I can confirm the same thing happening to me, I get the option to ask "Wait, am I a boiadeiro?" and before I can even finish the thought, Encyclopedia pops in with a "No. You are not" and the option to get the thought cabinet is never offered.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Crappy Jack posted:

I can confirm the same thing happening to me, I get the option to ask "Wait, am I a boiadeiro?" and before I can even finish the thought, Encyclopedia pops in with a "No. You are not" and the option to get the thought cabinet is never offered.

That's not what gets you the thought. You may have to have succeeded the Conceptualization check or otherwise given up on Raphael, but later conversation with Manana will give you the option to Inland Empire up a new name for yourself.

Or maybe remember one? Idiot Doom Spiral already knows it so maybe you have to get it before the water lock is fixed.

Ruud Hoenkloewen
Jan 24, 2020
I bought the soundtrack yesterday and only just noticed that the track for the Phasmid encounter is officially titled "La Revacholiere", i.e. what the city of Revachol calls herself during the Shivers check in the church. It makes me wonder if it's supposed to represent the mysterious, ephemeral nature of a city that you can never quite pin down - or something like that.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Last night I finally got the full dance church scene to play out. Holy poo poo! It was SO good; I’d just sit there listening to the best watching everyone dance before selecting the next dialogue option. Very very cool!

Sinner Sandwich
Oct 13, 2012
Could someone relink the big effortpost from a while aback about the Phasmid? The one arguing that it isn't an allegory for communism but for hope, and why it doesn't matter if the Inland Empire check is imagined or not because it represents the end of Harry's arc and the possibility for healing?

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Cpt_Obvious posted:

More or less? It's an impossible, sublime moment at the end of a long story about Harry grubbing around this hopeless immiserated shithole trying to make sense of the horror of the world his predecessors created and his own profound personal dysfunction, feeling his way around the sisyphean task of building anything decent in his lifetime, as a reminder that the world is vast and strange in ways you'll never fully understand. And so long as that remains, there is hope that, impossibly, someone might someday succeed at bringing about the better world the Smart Guys with Lots of Money And Authority tell you is impossible.

The Deserter is pretty clearly not utopian, though. He's the bitter old doctrinaire Stalinist stuck eternally reliving capital's inevitable betrayals of a glory that never was, and categorically unwilling to lift a finger to improve the real world around him because Revachol isn't living up to his fantasy. They're putting a line between utopian radicalism and backwards-looking Communism as defined by the Soviet Bloc.

DalaranJ posted:

One thing that will be difficult about writing sequels to this game is that the plasmid scene can never have the same impact because it relies on the player being unsure that crypto organisms exist in the setting.

I think they know what they're doing enough to understand they can absolutely never mention cryptids again

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Jan 29, 2020

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I'm at Wednesday and I just want to make sure I don't lock myself out of anything by using the shack in the fishing village rather than the room at the hostel to sleep in

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

twistedmentat posted:

I'm at Wednesday and I just want to make sure I don't lock myself out of anything by using the shack in the fishing village rather than the room at the hostel to sleep in

No if anything you're saving money.

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
Can you take a loving bath you smelly rear end in a top hat in there? You might want to make sure you did that before switching.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Dreylad posted:

No if anything you're saving money.

Okay great. I have 50 psuedo french monies and i was kind of hoping i could use them for something other than keeping me from sleeping on the street. Or Under a boat

Having the canal crossable opened a lot of new stuff. I liked the Ravers down on the ice that want to turn the church into a club. I talked to the Man Spider but I can't figure out how to find the lady spooker. I assume I'll need to figure out the password because they scared of the woman on the other end of the radio

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug

twistedmentat posted:

Okay great. I have 50 psuedo french monies and i was kind of hoping i could use them for something other than keeping me from sleeping on the street. Or Under a boat

Having the canal crossable opened a lot of new stuff. I liked the Ravers down on the ice that want to turn the church into a club. I talked to the Man Spider but I can't figure out how to find the lady spooker. I assume I'll need to figure out the password because they scared of the woman on the other end of the radio

More or less, after poking the computer, try talking to someone who might know the password. Hint : like someone who might have been eavesdropping

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Tylana posted:

More or less, after poking the computer, try talking to someone who might know the password. Hint : like someone who might have been eavesdropping

Oh dang that should have been obvious.

I had a very :xcom: moment where i had a 98% to do something and i failed.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

twistedmentat posted:

Oh dang that should have been obvious.

I had a very :xcom: moment where i had a 98% to do something and i failed.

I kind of hate when that happens with white checks because it just stalls the story for no reason. Red checks having critical failure chance are fine because the losses there add drama but losing a white check usually just means "come back later" and when you're already high enough that you'd get 100% without the critical failure chance it should just give it to you.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
super ridiculous idea chat: it's not a ridiculous idea and I think is well-evidenced by the text I think the connection of the cryptid to utopia is not actually that far fetched. In a couple of ways Lena's current situation mirrors the state of Revachol and Harry.

Roughly, Lena's story is told as follows: When she was a young girl she glimpsed something that she was later told was impossible. But she liked to tell people about it as a party story and on dates. Her husband is interested in the idea and they form a marriage union based in part on this impossible idea - despite no other evidence for its existence. In fact, she knows she can't actively search for it anymore - she can't really do the field research necessary to find what she's looking for, instead. Her husband does, in her stead. However, he looks for things that are too small. He has some idea of the methods of how you would search, but he wants the amazing thing to be containable within his current framework. If you want to pin him to an ideology (this flattens things and is boring, but let's say we want to be boring), he's like a socdem. Or you could place him as the marxist academic who writes and theorizes but never acts outside of vaugely gesturing a thumbs up at his local grad students' union

The fascist her husband searches with with thinks something is out there to be found, but he seems to have the least conviction of any of them that its worth looking for. In fact, when he ultimately parts, his parting remark is that they are welcome to pretend to live in an older order with him instead - that's why he so specifically asks them if they want to play that board game Suzerainty. If you played Suzerainty, you know that it's a classic pastiche of the modern euro boardgame - obsessed with colonialism and the endless replication of a particular order. What better encapsulation of the fascist state of mind than of turning away from wonder to build a model of how things once were.

Lena herself is more than a theoretician like her husband. She saw the thing. She knows it's alive. But knowing something is real isn't enough to keep hope alive when the world tells you you're wrong for believing. She's the closest to Harry of any of them, which is probably why she was meant to be a companion character. But her testimony is enough to get you looking, too - even after she begins to back away from hope.

No one ever really talks about Kim in relation to the bug but something something working class organic leaders something something are the people who can actually bring home the revolution something something normie socialism. He did actually see it with you and he's why you can tell people about it. Sometimes your lib friends get better.

Also the Deserter is literally a deserter. He deserted his ideals. That's why he can't see the bug - in fact his proximity to it has irreperably damaged him. You're supposed to feel bad for him even in spite of what on awful person he's become.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Having finished my second playthrough yesterday, I was able to accomplish something I didn't know was possible: I successfully ended the stalemate between Wild Pines and the Union. I didn't realize that was a thing you could even do. In my game, Joyce hosed off to try and advise Wild Pines to let the Union have the Martinaise terminals. Is there a way to do the same quest but supporting Evrart instead?

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013

chaosapiant posted:

Having finished my second playthrough yesterday, I was able to accomplish something I didn't know was possible: I successfully ended the stalemate between Wild Pines and the Union. I didn't realize that was a thing you could even do. In my game, Joyce hosed off to try and advise Wild Pines to let the Union have the Martinaise terminals. Is there a way to do the same quest but supporting Evrart instead?

...you were supporting Evrart all along.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

TommyGun85 posted:

...you were supporting Evrart all along.

Oh yea, duh. That said, is there a way to achieve the same end by supporting Joyce?

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

Impermanent posted:

super ridiculous idea chat: it's not a ridiculous idea and I think is well-evidenced by the text I think the connection of the cryptid to utopia is not actually that far fetched. In a couple of ways Lena's current situation mirrors the state of Revachol and Harry.

Roughly, Lena's story is told as follows: When she was a young girl she glimpsed something that she was later told was impossible. But she liked to tell people about it as a party story and on dates. Her husband is interested in the idea and they form a marriage union based in part on this impossible idea - despite no other evidence for its existence. In fact, she knows she can't actively search for it anymore - she can't really do the field research necessary to find what she's looking for, instead. Her husband does, in her stead. However, he looks for things that are too small. He has some idea of the methods of how you would search, but he wants the amazing thing to be containable within his current framework. If you want to pin him to an ideology (this flattens things and is boring, but let's say we want to be boring), he's like a socdem. Or you could place him as the marxist academic who writes and theorizes but never acts outside of vaugely gesturing a thumbs up at his local grad students' union

The fascist her husband searches with with thinks something is out there to be found, but he seems to have the least conviction of any of them that its worth looking for. In fact, when he ultimately parts, his parting remark is that they are welcome to pretend to live in an older order with him instead - that's why he so specifically asks them if they want to play that board game Suzerainty. If you played Suzerainty, you know that it's a classic pastiche of the modern euro boardgame - obsessed with colonialism and the endless replication of a particular order. What better encapsulation of the fascist state of mind than of turning away from wonder to build a model of how things once were.

Lena herself is more than a theoretician like her husband. She saw the thing. She knows it's alive. But knowing something is real isn't enough to keep hope alive when the world tells you you're wrong for believing. She's the closest to Harry of any of them, which is probably why she was meant to be a companion character. But her testimony is enough to get you looking, too - even after she begins to back away from hope.

No one ever really talks about Kim in relation to the bug but something something working class organic leaders something something are the people who can actually bring home the revolution something something normie socialism. He did actually see it with you and he's why you can tell people about it. Sometimes your lib friends get better.

Also the Deserter is literally a deserter. He deserted his ideals. That's why he can't see the bug - in fact his proximity to it has irreperably damaged him. You're supposed to feel bad for him even in spite of what on awful person he's become.

I think this is right on the money. The bug represents multiple things. It appearing at the end is a close to Harry's arc - the bug tells him he's a miracle, shows that there is hope, for him too. Most importantly, it addresses the inner demon of Dora in a way that gives Harry a route forward. The rest of the game only hints at her, or Harry gets outright defeated by what he created from her in his mind, but there is hope.

However, as far as the context you meet the Deserter in and the Phasmid in, I think it's not a reach to read into it as a search for utopia, and how the Deserter, despite being the 'closest' to the actual ideas of socialism ends up being the most distant from them, and hosed up by them.

If we read even further, no matter what your Raphael's ideology is at the end, you can see it while the Deserter can't. In a way, I think it's a rebuke to outright stalinist ideas, of which the Deserter is the closest manifestation. Stalinist ideas have warped socialism to the point that they can't even operate in the same headspace; however, even the lib/capitalist/fascist Harry has enough ideas of brotherhood, community and fairness that socialism is a viable ideology to show him aka he can see the bug, even if currently he is a broken man.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

chaosapiant posted:

Oh yea, duh. That said, is there a way to achieve the same end by supporting Joyce?

No, Joyce has already made her mind up. Evert holds all the cards. Joyce rebuffs you if you propose a course of action that would start a war, which is all of them that would supposedly benefit Wild Pines. Specifically, when I proposed assassination, she pointed out that’s why Edgar and Evart are never in the same place.

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!

FistEnergy posted:

no, but with high enough Conceptualization, you get the option to come up with an ending yourself. Maybe it WAS Dick Mullen all along! gently caress you, book!

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

DalaranJ posted:

No, Joyce has already made her mind up. Evert holds all the cards. Joyce rebuffs you if you propose a course of action that would start a war, which is all of them that would supposedly benefit Wild Pines. Specifically, when I proposed assassination, she pointed out that’s why Edgar and Evart are never in the same place.

Did anyone else get the feeling that Edgar and Evart are the same person wearing a set of eyeglasses that makes it look like he has a lazy eye? And that’s why nobody ever sees them both at the same time?

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Did anyone else get the feeling that Edgar and Evart are the same person wearing a set of eyeglasses that makes it look like he has a lazy eye? And that’s why nobody ever sees them both at the same time?

I didn't. In fact, I thought the ball-dude (Gaston?) said he was their teacher when they were young, so he'd have seen both of them.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

chaosapiant posted:

I didn't. In fact, I thought the ball-dude (Gaston?) said he was their teacher when they were young, so he'd have seen both of them.

Oh poo poo, I forgot about that. Well, there goes that ridiculous theory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Oh poo poo, I forgot about that. Well, there goes that ridiculous theory.

I think of ZA/UM wanted to allude to that, they'd pull the ol Tourette gag from Vampire Bloodlines and use it here, but I don't know.