Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
the one thing all of my most successful friends have in common is being able to work out where they can get away with lying and being able to do it effectively, worth considering!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I actually have a Three 4G mifi which I've had for several years and a Three homehub 4G broadband (up to 80Mbps) which I've had nearly 2 months now. Both work fine from my home but then it says they do by postcode too. When there were some Three issues a couple of weeks ago for a couple of days, my homehub was affected but my mifi wasn't. Not sure why but seems to suggest there's some difference in the signals being used.

My homehub Three router is a huawei B535

Yeah, looks like all their new home WiFi boxes are the Huawei ones now. I'm hoping it's probably just some weird issue with their address database, but I'll give them a ring tomorrow to make sure.

The annoying thing is that the product page kept pushing me to the postcode check page, witch then kept rejecting me. So I'm not even sure if it'll let me buy it without using a valid postcode.

I'm a heavy gamer/TV watcher so no joy with the hot-spot usage I think. The install size of some of the modern stuff is ridiculous.

It might be a daft question, but I take it a 4G connection is generally fine with longer, sustained continual downloading of large data? Like the new CoD game which is just shy of 200GB. It doesn't crap out and need a router reset or something?

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
This is almost certainly an easy 'no', but on the off chance: when I was in China I noticed that while VPNs were relatively unreliable and slow, roaming 4G effectively bypassed the great firewall while maintaining good speed. I'm now thinking about applying to a year postdoc there, but internet access is worrying me a little (among other things like access to insulin). So I'm wondering whether it's possible to get some kind of monthly unlimited global roaming contract that would allow me to just use my UK sim for the duration. I realise this would be pricy if it did exist, but almost certainly cheaper than buying constant £5 passes. Alternatively, how else would anyone recommend approaching this problem? (Or indeed the medication one)

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Depends what they're doing against VPNs now. VPN but it's to a friend in the UK with a good router rather than to a block of IPs in a datacenter always used to work well with that, but I'm not sure if they're throttling all tunneled traffic or something now.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Kin posted:

Yeah, looks like all their new home WiFi boxes are the Huawei ones now. I'm hoping it's probably just some weird issue with their address database, but I'll give them a ring tomorrow to make sure.

The annoying thing is that the product page kept pushing me to the postcode check page, witch then kept rejecting me. So I'm not even sure if it'll let me buy it without using a valid postcode.

I'm a heavy gamer/TV watcher so no joy with the hot-spot usage I think. The install size of some of the modern stuff is ridiculous.

It might be a daft question, but I take it a 4G connection is generally fine with longer, sustained continual downloading of large data? Like the new CoD game which is just shy of 200GB. It doesn't crap out and need a router reset or something?

I've never done that so can't advise.
I'm not a gamer and I don't do a lot of streaming.

They do have a router version that has Alexa built in (might be huawei too but I don't want a spy in my living room ;) ), but it only has one ethernet port and costs a bit more per month.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

I've had decent results with a self-rolled VPN (OpenVPN) server from a general hosting/VPS provider, and as a bonus it can be cheaper than most traditional VPN services too. I'm talking less than 18 pounds a year if you get a good deal. Does require some messing around with a console though, and even though there's lots and lots of online tutorials it's not completely trivial either.

The option Guava mentioned works but requires a public ip of some kind to connect to, and most residential connections won't have that.

edit: You could probably use an on-demand cloud server with a premade image if you don't plan on using it frequently and maybe, perhaps, just about, save a ~pound a month, but it would be a major pain to set up.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Jan 30, 2020

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Private Speech posted:

The option Guava mentioned works but requires a public ip of some kind to connect to, and most residential connections won't have that.
DynDNS or other dynamic DNS services will turn the router's non-static IP into a domain name you can stick into your OVPN client.

Any router (or NAS or software stuck on an old PC) good enough to support being an OpenVPN server should support one of those. Dyn I think isn't free anymore, but there's alternatives.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

mehall posted:

Hey, bardyspoon, what's your skills and what neck of the woods are you in?

I've worked as a tester and then a test lead on videogames, Xbox One, mobile stuff and PC (from this you can probably guess what company I was working for). Had a very short contract role where I worked testing websites and such as well as general support cause there wasn't that much testing that needed doing all the time. Then worked on Bixby for a while as a lead test engineer for Samsung and when that ended I just went back into videogames again because they phoned me up and offered me a job when I needed one and hadn't had any bites for a a couple months. That's focusing mostly on mobile and PC. So I guess my skills are like, testing of most varieties at this point (certification, manual, telemetry and a bunch of other stuff) except for automation stuff, test planning and estimation of deadlines and application of resources and such, mentoring people and the like. Good knowledge of all the various technologies one would need to do those jobs and a hefty tolerance for bullshit. Lots of other stuff I hope cause that seems thin for a career summary but it's pretty late and been knackered this week so not too switched on.

I'm in Berkshire, could commute out into Oxfordshire, bits of hampshire or Surrey and London depending on what the job/pay was. I don't really want to move but have been thinking about it more and more as time goes on. The north is so much cheaper.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Guavanaut posted:

DynDNS or other dynamic DNS services will turn the router's non-static IP into a domain name you can stick into your OVPN client.

Any router (or NAS or software stuck on an old PC) good enough to support being an OpenVPN server should support one of those. Dyn I think isn't free anymore, but there's alternatives.

I wonder how that works, and whether or not it would be easy to block. Ultimately with DNS you just resolve some address into an IP, I don't see how you could get around having one somewhere, either with a third party which is liable to get blocked or by having one yourself.

It's possible they use an ip crowd-sourcing solution of some kind to get around the issue of having a dedicated set of intermediary ips that can be blocked. But otherwise I wouldn't expect them to fare better than regular VPN providers.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
They could fairly easily block the dynamic DNS services themselves, but the vast majority of IP resolutions on them aren't private VPNs used for bypassing firewalls, so I'm not sure if they would.

With modern broadband internet your public facing IP doesn't seem to change that often anyway, only if you're disconnected for a long period of time or something happens with the network, so you could rig the client up to connect directly to the public IP of the router (not using any DNS service) and if it suddenly stops working use your 4G roaming device to ping the DynDNS domain name to see what the new IP is.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

thebardyspoon posted:

I've worked as a tester and then a test lead on videogames, Xbox One, mobile stuff and PC (from this you can probably guess what company I was working for). Had a very short contract role where I worked testing websites and such as well as general support cause there wasn't that much testing that needed doing all the time. Then worked on Bixby for a while as a lead test engineer for Samsung and when that ended I just went back into videogames again because they phoned me up and offered me a job when I needed one and hadn't had any bites for a a couple months. That's focusing mostly on mobile and PC. So I guess my skills are like, testing of most varieties at this point (certification, manual, telemetry and a bunch of other stuff) except for automation stuff, test planning and estimation of deadlines and application of resources and such, mentoring people and the like. Good knowledge of all the various technologies one would need to do those jobs and a hefty tolerance for bullshit. Lots of other stuff I hope cause that seems thin for a career summary but it's pretty late and been knackered this week so not too switched on.

I'm in Berkshire, could commute out into Oxfordshire, bits of hampshire or Surrey and London depending on what the job/pay was. I don't really want to move but have been thinking about it more and more as time goes on. The north is so much cheaper.

We're not videogames, but I'd imagine testing is transferrable skills.
I'll take a look and see if our London office is looking for someone in that area.

Edit: nope sorry, none of the London technical teams are hiring just now.

mehall fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Jan 30, 2020

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

thespaceinvader posted:

And when I complained about all these things, and particularly about the excel element making me look substantially less competent than I was due to not accounting for the fact that excel has half a dozen ways to execute most functions, and only allowing one to be correct (and in one instance, not allowing ANY to be correct, it simply wouldn't accept the input at all), they just sort of... glibly acknowledged that it's poo poo, and it wouldn't actually affect anything.

SO WHY loving DO IT

Aptitude tests in particular are complete woo bullshit, and are largely used to arbitrarily prune large applicant pools to more manageable numbers, and serve essentially the same function as shredding every other application without reading it.

Not quite the same thing, but when I was unemployed the DWP managed to put me on a computer course to get an actual qualification - I've been using computers since I was about 8, but didn't pursue any ICT above any mandatory GCSE level - although I think they cocked up because they enrolled me on a course for people who had literally never touched a computer before in their entire lives.

It was meant to be for two weeks, with a test at the end. I did the assignments in 20 minutes (literally the most basic of basic stuff - open word, change font, save, etc, etc), and not really knowing what to do with me, they told me not to come back until the day of the test.

Come the test, and it's not on the actual programs, it's something like the flash thing you describe. Still get through it, although it refuses to recognise any shortcuts and has super limited functions, but when it came to creating a slide that you could click a pre-programmed item on it to jump to a specific slide, it flags it up as incorrect. Called the examiner over to prove to him the method I was using - the standard method taught at my school - works, and he's all, "...Huh. Never seen that method before. I'll mark it as correct, but, do it the way this ultra specific long-winded way the program recognises as correct".

Fortunately haven't had to deal with any bullshit aptitude tests - did have to do a WPS typing test while applying for an internal job they'd already filled but had to go through the charade of letting people apply - only found that out after. Waste of everyone's time.

Then again, this was the same firm that just after the recession hit told me that they weren't going to renew my contract (because of the recession), although I was a good worker, and they'd love it if I could still come in and volunteer doing the same work for free! :suicide:

[e]:

Also solidarity, thebardyspoon, sorry to hear things are bit down at the moment. :(

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Jan 30, 2020

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

thespaceinvader posted:

And when I complained about all these things, and particularly about the excel element making me look substantially less competent than I was due to not accounting for the fact that excel has half a dozen ways to execute most functions, and only allowing one to be correct (and in one instance, not allowing ANY to be correct, it simply wouldn't accept the input at all), they just sort of... glibly acknowledged that it's poo poo, and it wouldn't actually affect anything.

SO WHY loving DO IT

Aptitude tests in particular are complete woo bullshit, and are largely used to arbitrarily prune large applicant pools to more manageable numbers, and serve essentially the same function as shredding every other application without reading it.

Because some upper management person has to justify their existence and has gotten involved in the hiring process and the one thing they could think to do was introduce testing to interviews. Everybody who does the interviews knows that the testing done is poo poo and ignore it but they have to do it because otherwise the manager will get lovely.

I mean, I'm guessing.

thespaceinvader posted:

Similarly, I wish more industries accepted entry-level applications from people without a specific education and/or experience in that area. One thing I'm trying to do at the moment is move into a more creative space than my previous career in admin, because it's mind numbing and awful, and I want to make stuff, but getting any kind of work in that area seems to involve some combination of magic, money, and nepotism, and I don't have any of the above.

Yeah so I'm out of work again at the moment. Started a job here, turns out I was working under 2 different project managers for the same projects (design work) and they couldn't a)Decide on what each one wanted done, consistently or b)agree on how things should be done or c)Give accurate info or d)Remember how they'd asked for things to be done at the outset. Also one of them was the owner's wife and seemed to have decided she had a problem with me very early on. So I was getting given a design package, asking how they wanted it done, doing it that way, getting told that actually the sizes/design had changed so I had to redo it, redoing it, then getting told that the way I'd done it was wrong and that they didn't know why we would *ever* have designed it that way (because they told me to), and generally getting treated like a loving idiot, for them to then say that I wasn't "meeting their expectations" and that they wanted to cut my pay. So I resigned.

ANYWAY yeah thinking of getting out of the industry I'm in and yeah, seems to me lots more industries should accept people without specific experience, because I see a lot of job listings and think "I could do that, I have transferrable skills!" and then the listing is like "MUST have 3 years experience working with (thing I've never worked with but could easily understand and get to grips with)".

So yeah, Bardy, I sympathise. Jobs suck. Job hunting sucks. My confidence has taken a major beating just recently and I'm suffering from major anxiety. It's not a lot of fun.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

South Wales (Merthyr and Valleys) goons or friends/family needing assistance with settled status applications:
Pontypridd MIND offering free support drop-in sessions starting 5th Feb:

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

thebardyspoon posted:

I'm guessing they're already on your radar but a bunch of my friends work at Rebellion games in Oxford and I think they're hiring pretty fast at the moment, might be worth a look?

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Which episode? I rewatched that series just last year but don't specifically remember a war room bit?
Apparently even I don't remember the war room bit cause I just looked it up and it's the map room :v:

Edit: in my defence, I haven't seen it for like, 30 years

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Pilchenstein posted:

Apparently even I don't remember the war room bit cause I just looked it up and it's the map room :v:

Edit: in my defence, I haven't seen it for like, 30 years

And it's relevance to the earlier discussion is thus:

Grasientus:
A map of ancient Chelmsford has been stolen from the map room.

Aulus Paulinus:
That's very peculiar, Grasientus. We've got a map room?

Grasientus:
Bet it's one of Badvoc's man.

Aulus Paulinus:
Grasientus, something puzzles me.

Grasientus:
Yes. You mean why would he want to steal a map of old Chelmsford?

Aulus Paulinus:
No, what you were doing in the map room at three in the morning.

Grasientus:
Ah, yes, well... apart from the maps I keep certain literature in there which I browse through often before retiring.

Aulus Paulinus:
You mean the ones depicting scenes from pastoral Greece? The ones showing shepherds and shepherdesses doing what shepherds and shepherdesses do when they're not shepherding their sheep?

Grasientus:
The very same.

Aulus Paulinus:
So what's in this map room?

Grasientus:
Well apart from the...

Aulus Paulinus:
...Greek porno.

Grasientus:
A few maps.

Aulus Paulinus:
How many?

Grasientus:
One.

Aulus Paulinus:
And it's been stolen.

Grasientus:
Yes. Appalling, isn't it?

Aulus Paulinus:
Well Grasientus, we are faced with the most serious problem. Namely... what do we now call the map room?

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy
Is Chelmsford 123 actually any good? I remember liking it but I was 13 and it was 1990 so it's not like there was a lot of great comedy around. I remember liking that bit (and the later "Where did you get this map?" "I stole it from the Greek porno room" bit) but as I recall the punchline to that episode is they solve a drought by declaring a bank holiday so it'll start raining, which is not the greatest loving joke ever told, I'll be honest :v:

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Pilchenstein posted:

Is Chelmsford 123 actually any good? I remember liking it but I was 13 and it was 1990 so it's not like there was a lot of great comedy around. I remember liking that bit (and the later "Where did you get this map?" "I stole it from the Greek porno room" bit) but as I recall the punchline to that episode is they solve a drought by declaring a bank holiday so it'll start raining, which is not the greatest loving joke ever told, I'll be honest :v:

It *was* good for the time, it just really hasn't aged that well - see also just about every non-Blackadder sitcom from the extinction-level event that was The Young Ones to the renaissance of the late 90s. I've stopped even bothering trying to go back to the comedies I loved in my teens and early 20s because so many of them are just so painful.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

thespaceinvader posted:

Reminds me of one of the funniest things this thread's ever shown me, "Get rid of unlucky candidates by throwing half the applications straight in the bin!"

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy

goddamnedtwisto posted:

It *was* good for the time, it just really hasn't aged that well - see also just about every non-Blackadder sitcom from the extinction-level event that was The Young Ones to the renaissance of the late 90s. I've stopped even bothering trying to go back to the comedies I loved in my teens and early 20s because so many of them are just so painful.
The episode of The Young Ones with the bomb is the funniest thing I've ever seen and I don't dare go back to it in case it's poo poo :v:

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

thespaceinvader posted:

At least random chance would be properly random, while these tests always have some people who seem to be able to "play the game" while being incompetent in any other aspect. Makes me realise how lucky I've got with my first job - CV, cover letter, interview and done.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Guavanaut posted:

There's a large difference between unavoidable circumstance debt (which should be covered socially)

yea, your landlord can buy yr debt and collect it by threatening to evict you, then doing it when the debt's paid.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
ooh, I thought you wrote asocially. nvm then

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Ms Adequate posted:

Reminds me of one of the funniest things this thread's ever shown me, "Get rid of unlucky candidates by throwing half the applications straight in the bin!"

Which itself is a joke that David Brent makes in The Office, while we’re on the topic of comedies!

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

thespaceinvader posted:

yeah IIRC this one was full screen and didn't easily allow tabbing out, but didn't account dfor the fact that you could just have another browser open in another screen.

The whole interview process is absurd, it's practically custom designed to find people who are good at selling themselves, but at best mediocre at the job.

God I wish more jobs did trial weeks or similar - but conversely, that woudl suck if you were currently working, taking a week or a month off to apply for a new job would be awful.

Similarly, I wish more industries accepted entry-level applications from people without a specific education and/or experience in that area. One thing I'm trying to do at the moment is move into a more creative space than my previous career in admin, because it's mind numbing and awful, and I want to make stuff, but getting any kind of work in that area seems to involve some combination of magic, money, and nepotism, and I don't have any of the above.

I recently saw someone on twitter comment that the hardest job in the world is being unemployed, and it's really couldn't be more true. No actual job I've ever done has stressed me out or crushed my spirit so thoroughly as looking for work does.

Pesky Splinter posted:

Not quite the same thing, but when I was unemployed the DWP managed to put me on a computer course to get an actual qualification - I've been using computers since I was about 8, but didn't pursue any ICT above any mandatory GCSE level - although I think they cocked up because they enrolled me on a course for people who had literally never touched a computer before in their entire lives.

FYI this wasn't a mistake, that's literally the only IT course they have. The DWP don't offer any kind of training above the absolute most basic level, because if you had any skills at all you wouldn't be out of work would you, you worthless piece of poo poo?

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

thespaceinvader posted:

I'm guessing they're already on your radar but a bunch of my friends work at Rebellion games in Oxford and I think they're hiring pretty fast at the moment, might be worth a look?

I had an interview with them a few years ago, I am a big fan of some of their games.

Didn’t get the job but I remember them seeming quite proud of their crunch culture, dude interviewing me said I’d probably be doing an hour or an hour and a half overtime everyday for around 3 months in the lead up to release of their games. Sorta put me off a bit but I might look at them again. I think it’d be more interesting at least.

Also saw the guys that are making the stealth canoe assassin vr game are hiring so might give them a go.

Cheers for the kind words and commiserations everybody, job hunting is indeed the worst.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6KFVVKFxr60

It is, OP.

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

thebardyspoon posted:

Finally, my job search is going like poo poo. Tried all the stuff that's occasionally been suggested in the UKMT threads, NHS banks, IT support etc. I've not been called back for any of the testing jobs I've applied for in months, neither ones that are slightly above my level that seem like natural next steps, or ones that are at the same level but just permanent instead of contracting. Sorta feel like I want to do something different anyway but not had any interviews for any of the jobs in different things I've applied for either. Everything just feels....hosed.

I'm not sure how applicable it is to you but, at least over in the backend software engineering niche where I'm at, the upcoming IR35 changes seem to have hosed up the contractor job market a bit as of right now. The IR35 changes are happening from the beginning of the next tax year in early April and right now many employers don't yet have a plan for whether they intend, or even can, hire contractors for more than a month or two. For example, all the banks seem to have decided they will simply no longer hire any contractors, period, either you go permanent or you gently caress off; but all the other firms still need to figure out how they want to do contracting going forward.

So what I'm saying is, the job market for IT-type contractors right now is a bit fucky in general, it might get easier in April.

thebardyspoon posted:

Obviously London is the place with all the jobs so you might have more luck there. You know that but just saying. :) (And yeah in London you might have to live in a hole in the ground shared with 6 other people and a cat and that might not be feasible for you etc, you know that as well)

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

thebardyspoon posted:

the stealth canoe assassin vr game
Ok I need to know more.

Is this a person that assassinates canoes in a stealthy way?
A person who assassinates canoes that are undetectable by radar?
An assassin who uses a stealth canoe to do assassinations?
Or an anthropomorphic canoe that does stealthy assassinations?

If it's either of the latter two then can they upgrade to a stealth kayak assassin by using a double blade?

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Pilchenstein posted:

The episode of The Young Ones with the bomb is the funniest thing I've ever seen and I don't dare go back to it in case it's poo poo :v:

There's episodes that haven't aged well but I'd say it still holds up. Bambi is the best one though and probably did more to shape me than my entire school career.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

goddamnedtwisto posted:

There's episodes that haven't aged well but I'd say it still holds up. Bambi is the best one though and probably did more to shape me than my entire school career.

The dash to the train station (filmed at Bristol Temple Meads!) with accompanying music by Motorhead is the single greatest piece of television ever filmed.

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

Bottom is still excellent, marred only by a couple of weird xenophobic slurs in the script here and there but arguably entirely accurate to Richie's character. GAS MAN! GAS MAN! GAS MAN!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6PIGPUem-Jk

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Achtung!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wi5SJKI6RpU&t=197s

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Pistol_Pete posted:

The dash to the train station (filmed at Bristol Temple Meads!) with accompanying music by Motorhead is the single greatest piece of television ever filmed.

smh if you don't point and yell TO THE STATION! every single time you get on a train ever.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

jackhunter64 posted:

smh if you don't point and yell TO THE STATION! every single time you get on a train ever.

Followed by MUSIC! and blaring Ace of Spades. Like I say, from musical taste to my love of stick grenades that show pretty much changed my life.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

jackhunter64 posted:

Bottom is still excellent, marred only by a couple of weird xenophobic slurs in the script here and there but arguably entirely accurate to Richie's character. GAS MAN! GAS MAN! GAS MAN!

And yet weirdly the missing link between the two shows, Filthy Rich and Catflap, has aged *terribly*.

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Followed by MUSIC! and blaring Ace of Spades. Like I say, from musical taste to my love of stick grenades that show pretty much changed my life.

Alexei Sayle singing 'Revolutionary biscuits of Italy, you have nothing to lose but your wafers' from the cab of an InterCity 125 while being held up by a Mexican bandit :allears:

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Pilchenstein posted:

It wasn't as funny when I rewatched it last year as when it was first on TV. A lot of comedy from the 80s/90s hasn't aged well. If you want to give it a try, it's all on youtube.

I do still find Father Ted very funny (and try to ignore what I now know about Glinner!)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

jackhunter64 posted:

This is amazing, and not for the first time I wonder if the maddest thing about the show is that both the main characters wear ties.