Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Doc Hawkins posted:

the good news is that a lot of people and groups don't like the bill, and now they get to punish Weiner by endorsing Jackie Fielder, who puts it much more politely than I would: "Urbanist pro-housing allies need to do a better job of listening to low income people and people of color before legislating or advocating on their behalf."

PFFT, sounds like we got another NIMBY Single-family housing lover here!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008

Doc Hawkins posted:

on the other hand, the actual market, real history, etc

What “real history”? The history of single family zoning being in many places explicitly enacted to keep out poor people and minorities? Or the fact that the status quo of single family zoning and low levels of construction leading to massive displacement and skyrocketing cost if living?

Edit: not worth it. In place of what I was originally gonna say, I’ll just say that having experienced significant housing precarity at points of my life I’ll just say this is an issue that is near and dear to me and leave it at that.

Fill Baptismal fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Jan 30, 2020

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

Kill Bristol posted:

That flies in the face of the actual evidence, which is that places that issue more permits and build more housing per capita are actually more affordable to live in. Seriously, it’s indefensible that places like Beverly Hills or orinda are majority zoned for single family only.

Curious what evidence you’re referring to here

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

Doc Hawkins posted:

the good news is that a lot of people and groups don't like the bill, and now they get to punish Weiner by endorsing Jackie Fielder, who puts it much more politely than I would: "Urbanist pro-housing allies need to do a better job of listening to low income people and people of color before legislating or advocating on their behalf."

It's not just tenant's rights groups either, the California Teacher's Association endorsed her today too.
https://twitter.com/JackieFielder_/status/1222696791713255424

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Kill Bristol posted:

Edit: not worth it. In place of what I was originally gonna say, I’ll just say that having experienced significant housing precarity at points of my life I’ll just say this is an issue that is near and dear to me and leave it at that.

i and many others will fight hard, together, to help you

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

Doc Hawkins posted:

i and many others will fight hard, together, to help you

that's a nice sentiment, but words are wind. what can individuals do to help?

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008

OMGVBFLOL posted:

Show up to public comment about new apartments, especially affordable housing, in your neighborhood. Be a voice for density and transit access in the face of all of the boomers complaining about parking.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Doc Hawkins posted:

single-family zoning was instituted as explicitly racist land use policy and should be eliminated at the state level on those grounds alone

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

single-family zoning was instituted as explicitly racist land use policy and should be eliminated at the state level on those grounds alone

To avoid empty quoting I’ll also say that people should read Jessica Trounstine’s “Segregation by Design” to see just how loving racist single family zoning’s roots are.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

Doc Hawkins posted:

sf state college of ethnic studies, a home for hellraising activists since the longest student strike in US history

https://web.archive.org/web/20150223133936/http://www.library.sfsu.edu/about/collections/strike/chronology.html

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

OMGVBFLOL posted:

individuals? nothing, besides joining together. the movements and organizations already exist, if you're interested.

Salmonella James
Oct 1, 2018

The final boss of gentrification isn't a four story apartment building next to a bus stop. It's a one story, single family craftsmen bungalow that was built in the '30s and is valued at 750K and is owned by a lawyer who votes Dem and complains (under a pseudonym) on the neighborhood FB group about homeless people taking his recycling.

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

Salmonella James posted:

The final boss of gentrification isn't a four story apartment building next to a bus stop. It's a one story, single family craftsmen bungalow that was built in the '30s and is valued at 750K and is owned by a lawyer who votes Dem and complains (under a pseudonym) on the neighborhood FB group about homeless people taking his recycling.

The lawyers can afford to gum up any redevelopment, it’s the poor people who get evicted from projects enabled by laws like SB50 so another featureless, modern, “luxury” building can sit half empty for years on end.

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008

Salmonella James posted:

No you see the lawyer is just an honest yeoman owning his own home while the developers who build the apartments are evil neoliberal capitalists.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Kill Bristol posted:

No you see the lawyer is just an honest yeoman owning his own home while the developers who build the apartments are evil neoliberal capitalists.

He's a good ally of The People and just trying to protect the character of his neighborhood.

Once the battle to save that historic strip mall down by the light rail station is won, surely he'll fight just as hard to build public housing there instead.

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008

Weembles posted:

He's a good ally of The People and just trying to protect the character of his neighborhood.

Once the battle to save that historic strip mall down by the light rail station is won, surely he'll fight just as hard to build public housing there instead.

https://twitter.com/opinonhaver/status/1209706198456389634?s=20

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

Kill Bristol posted:

I’ll just say that having experienced significant housing precarity at points of my life I’ll just say this is an issue that is near and dear to me and leave it at that.
Me too, and I have never had a house myself (rental or otherwise), but battling for "developers rights" when they are just pocketing speculation money and not "providing housing" (like they would claim) isnt great.

Kill Bristol posted:

I mean if you’re arguing that we should have a vacancy tax, yeah sure, I’m ambivalent in whether or not it would have a huge effect, but
It is the only thing you should be sure would have an effect immediately. Look up "Vancouver Canada vacancy tax chinese investors" (in varoous strings) and see what happened.

https://www.seattletimes.com/business/real-estate/vancouver-b-c-tries-again-to-thwart-foreign-real-estate-speculators/

quote:

In 2016, Vancouver, B.C., instituted a 15 percent tax on foreign buyers of real estate, an effort to dampen speculation that was driving housing prices to some of the highest levels in North America. After some initial success, the boom continued anew.

According to a 2016 poll by the non-profit Angus Reid Institute, 90 percent of respondents supported the tax, including homeowners, but relatively few thought it would be effective.

Now British Columbia is trying a fresh set of measures to tamp down demand and discourage foreign buyers. The 15 percent tax on a home purchase price is being raised to 20 percent, plus an additional tax on speculators.

The ruling center-left New Democratic Party wants to institute higher property taxes on second homes, high-end residences and families that get most of their income from overseas. Vancouver approved a tax on empty homes, among other measures.

Earlier this month, the Wall Street Journal reported on a foreign housing expo in Beijing that drew thousands of investors.

“That kind of surging interest has created a flood of capital that is washing over cities throughout the globe, distorting home prices, irritating local residents — and defying almost every attempt to restrain it,” the story read.

Chinese invested an estimated $100 billion in purchasing property overseas in 2016, according to Juwai.com, a Chinese real-estate website.

These are things that actually have a huge effect. Unlike the family living in a house for 30 years.

After Vancouver started pushing back the house-collectors started buying up Seattle.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/08/02/seattle-housing-market-is-under-pressure-as-chinese-buying-dries-up.html

quote:

Seattle has been arguably one of the hottest housing markets in America, with home prices rising annually by double digits fueled by scorching demand. There is, however, one outside force that is starting to throw cold water on all that heat: new weakness from once-intense Chinese buyers.

The Pacific Northwest city has been one of the greatest beneficiaries of the recent wave of Chinese buyers of U.S. real estate. Both Chinese investors and families hoping to send their kids to American universities have fueled demand for housing in Seattle, which has long enjoyed a strong Asian culture.

In just the last two years, that demand increased dramatically. In 2016, nearby Canadian city Vancouver slapped a 25 percent tax on international homebuyers in an effort to cool its own overheated housing market. Chinese investors, who had been strong in that market, simply moved south of the border to escape the tax.

"Chinese buyers are flooding into Seattle," said Jonathan Woloshin of UBS in a 2016 interview.
http://www.seattlemag.com/news-and-features/seattle-listed-1-city-chinese-homebuyers

quote:

Seattle Listed as #1 City for Chinese Homebuyers

Ni Hao, Seattle! We’re number one in the eyes of mainland Chinese homebuyers exploring overseas investment in real estate. That’s according to Juwai.com, a popular home search site within China, and this finding is tracking with other data points according to local brokers that specialize in international homebuyers.

To be sure, buyers from Hong Kong and Mainland China have been migrating to North America in spades over the last 20 years, especially since 1997 when Hong Kong was handed over to China and residents and investors sought financial safe harbor in overseas real estate. The most popular markets have long been Vancouver, BC with its close West Coast proximity and Canada’s then-favorable immigration policies. Both San Francisco and Los Angeles were also top cities and remain so, albeit in recent years Seattle’s profile and popularity has risen dramatically. The allure of Seattle was further cemented in August 2016 when the British Columbian government imposed a 15-percent foreign buyer tax in Vancouver’s Lower Mainland, helping redirect Chinese nationals south of the border as captured by a recent news article by CBC News that claims foreign buyers are heading to Seattle at a “frenetic” pace.

(That was all 2018, and fyi LA was #2 after Seattle.)

You want to drive down rents overnight? Throw a 50% yearly value tax on all non-owner occupied houses (may as well kill off the semi-legal distributed hotel chains acting as airbnbs), and all non-occupied rentals. (Or something else ridiculously punitive.)

Throw a massive financial barrier up and let house collectors go buy up [somewhere else].

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

i think we should apply the same lessons of how to deal with housing pricee to other things that have gone up like crazy in price

college textbooks gone up in price a zillion percent in the last few decades? there's clearly a shortage of textbooks. the publishers can't keep up with printing new copies of calculus by stewart as the population grows. let's pass a bill to give tax rebates to for buying more printing equipment, problem solved

drug prices? same thing. of course insulin is cheaper in canada, they have way fewer people and way more insulin deposits there

e: can't wait for the US business community to make good on their promise to create tons of US jobs now that the corporate tax rate they said was keeping them from hiring american was cut by president trump. any day now!!!

Shear Modulus fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Jan 30, 2020

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

Shear Modulus posted:

i think we should apply the same lessons of how to deal with housing pricee to other things that have gone up like crazy in price

college textbooks gone up in price a zillion percent in the last few decades? there's clearly a shortage of textbooks. the publishers can't keep up with printing new copies of calculus by stewart as the population grows. let's pass a bill to give tax rebates
Yeah, I guess you cant fight econotruths :negative:

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008

Shear Modulus posted:

college textbooks gone up in price a zillion percent in the last few decades? there's clearly a shortage of textbooks. the publishers can't keep up with printing new copies of calculus by stewart as the population grows. let's pass a bill to give tax rebates to for buying more printing equipment, problem solved

drug prices? same thing. of course insulin is cheaper in canada, they have way fewer people and way more insulin deposits there

This would be a good analogy if every time some publisher wanted to publish a textbook they had to get it approved by a panel of professors who coincidentally wrote the existing textbooks and profited from their use.

It actually does kind of work with pharmaceuticals because a huge reason for drug prices being high is pharma companies artificially creating scarcity by patent stacking ("discovering" new uses for an existing drug that lets them extend exclusive patent rights), much like homeowners keep the value of their property high by showing up en masse to complain about new housing, attempting to get gas stations landmarked as historic, filing bullshit CEQA lawsuits, etc.

FRINGE posted:

It is the only thing you should be sure would have an effect immediately. Look up "Vancouver Canada vacancy tax chinese investors" (in varoous strings) and see what happened.

You want to drive down rents overnight? Throw a 50% yearly value tax on all non-owner occupied houses (may as well kill off the semi-legal distributed hotel chains acting as airbnbs), and all non-occupied rentals. (Or something else ridiculously punitive.)

Throw a massive financial barrier up and let house collectors go buy up [somewhere else].

I mean sure, slap a vacancy tax on and you might free up some units. I'm not opposed to it. But the core problem in places like the bay and LA is not a high vacancy rate. The vacancy rate in those places is low compared to more affordable metro areas in places like the midwest. Properties lying vacant is not the core problem. The vacancy rate in LA metro area is about 4%. Compare that to some place like Dayton where it's around 11%.

Fill Baptismal fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Jan 30, 2020

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

the homeowners in your pharmaceuticals analogy are the pharma sales reps and chemists who get paid six figures but meanwhile martin shkreli buys a drug production line then immediately jacks up the price by 200x and pockets all of it

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

Kill Bristol posted:

This would be a good analogy if every time some publisher wanted to publish a textbook they had to get it approved by a panel of professors who coincidentally wrote the existing textbooks and profited from their use.

....Who do you think writes textbooks and chooses what textbooks their students use for their classes?

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
I don't think SB50 will solve or even necessarily ameliorate the housing crisis, but the way we allocate land in cities in the US is loving stupid. Single-family detached homes don't have a place around major transit infrastructure, and whatever idiots show up at Atherton city council meetings shouldn't have a say otherwise.

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008
Yes. It's absurd and honestly immoral, given the climate impact, that within walking distance of rail stations there are 750k single family homes with wide lawns. In any rationally planned city there would dense apartments housing orders of magnitude more people and giving them easy access to transit in those areas. This is a huge country with vast swathes of sparsely populated land. If you want to live with a giant lawn and drive everywhere you have plenty of options that aren't near major metro areas.

Honestly, the entire idea of homeownership as an investment is socially and politically toxic and we'd be far better off if housing was treated like a car: something you buy because you need it for practical use, not because you want to use it as a tool to save up for retirement or as a way to build generational wealth. Japan does something along these lines.

Fill Baptismal fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Jan 30, 2020

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

Kill Bristol posted:

Yes. It's absurd and honestly immoral, given the climate impact, that within walking distance of rail stations there are 750k single family homes with wide lawns. In any rationally planned city there would dense apartments housing orders of magnitude more people and giving them easy access to transit in those areas. This is a huge country with vast swathes of sparsely populated land. If you want to live with a giant lawn and drive everywhere you have plenty of options that aren't near major metro areas.

Honestly, the entire idea of homeownership as an investment is socially and politically toxic and we'd be far better off if housing was treated like a car: something you buy because you need it for practical use, not because you want to use it as a tool to save up for retirement or as a way to build generational wealth. Japan does something along these lines.

If you’re going to use climate change to make a moral argument for market rate development, then why not consider there are enough vacant homes in the Bay Area to house everyone who is homeless? Why not simply give everyone shelter and use the carbon savings from unnecessary construction to build sustainable transit and public housing in a way that doesn’t further gently caress over the working class?

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008

Centrist Committee posted:

If you’re going to use climate change to make a moral argument for market rate development, then why not consider there are enough vacant homes in the Bay Area to house everyone who is homeless? Why not simply give everyone shelter and use the carbon savings from unnecessary construction to build sustainable transit and public housing in a way that doesn’t further gently caress over the working class?

It is like, peak california brain, to view overthrowing capitalism and doing away with private property as a more achievable and practical goal then building apartments near transit. But even if that happened tomorrow, we would still need to densify fast, unless you plan on mass population reductions somehow. Sprawling single family homes near transit are a bad use of land under any economic system!

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

imo "the cause of the problem is clear, but fixing the problem is hard, so let's ignore the solution and instead do something that doesn't address the problem at all" is pretty california/liberal brain

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008
you have terminal suburb brain if "overthrow capitalism" is easier for you to imagine than "build apartments near transit" .

how radical and fuckin' harcore you are is duly noted though.

Fill Baptismal fucked around with this message at 09:10 on Jan 30, 2020

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

Public housing is good, but given that local governments obstruct new housing development and are the primary reason why more privately-funded housing isn't built, do you really think that they would be into requesting federal funding for new public housing?

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

"Should we kill single family zoning?"

Yes.

"Will it alleviate the housing crisis?"

Absolutely not.

"Well how can we do that, then?"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xqJbE1bvdgo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7oeLnpAmmfI

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

Kill Bristol posted:

The vacancy rate in LA metro area is about 4%. Compare that to some place like Dayton where it's around 11%.
Depending on whose numbers youre using that means "available for sale" not "actually unoccupied".

Thats the problem Im trying to get across to you. "The market" doesnt count a house as empty if its empty but owned. All of the empty investment properties are "not vacant" in that sense.

Kill Bristol posted:

rationally planned city there would dense apartments housing orders of magnitude more people

homeownership as an investment is socially and politically toxic and we'd be far better off if housing was treated like a car: something you buy because you need it
I love having lifelong living spaces planned out by college kids who only need a video game and a beer fridge.

You should move to Seattle. They built some 130-220 sq/ft places just for you. Of course the rent floor was adjusted to match those, and everything else went up, because thats what developers and landlord investment groups do, but you can keep on hating families living in houses either way.

https://www.seattletimes.com/business/real-estate/seattles-newest-apartments-prison-cell-with-no-door-for-toilet/

quote:

For $750, Seattle’s newest apartment is the size of a parking space

The four-story apartment building featured in the ad was built this year after the developer knocked down a single-family house on the 3,110-square-foot triangular lot.

Plans filed with the county indicate the developer squeezed 23 units into the 5,640-square-foot building, but the exact layout and size of all the different units isn’t clear. Zerky said there are apartments in the building available for up to 200 square feet for as much as $1,000 a month.

A company called Oriental Knight Investment Group bought the property last year for $2.8 million.

You should also look at Hong Kong. Sounds like youd like it.

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019
SB50 failed to pass :toot:

Eat poo poo Weiner, ya real estate ghoul

gonger
Apr 25, 2006

Quiet! You vegetable!
Maybe it’s helpful to ground the discussion in terms of something more concrete, like a hypothetical 5 story 100 unit apartment building replacing an existing surface parking lot. Fairly dense, efficient to build, going higher would require using costlier materials.

Where is it legal under zoning code to construct such a building?

What’s the break-even (not accounting for profit) cost per unit?

What’s the difference between that price and what the local community can afford?

If it’s not possible to construct new housing at a price that people threatened by displacement can afford, should we still do it?

In the Bay Area it’s up to like 450k/unit now, which is already out of reach for the area median income.

I think it’s helpful to imagine taking a trip on a metro rail line. For instance, BART stations exist in the Mission, the Rockridge neighborhood in Oakland, and Orinda on the other side of the hills. A dense former working class neighborhood wracked by gentrification, a wealthy SFH residential neighborhood, and a wealthy suburb. All three have good access to regional job centers and are benefiting from public infrastructure via BART, but contribute vastly different amounts of housing to the regional supply. The ability of the communities to pay market rate varies considerably.

New housing can’t be built at a price point affordable to the people who need it most without subsidy, but taxes and fees from new development is the main source of funding for those subsidies. IMO, rejecting incremental improvements to wait for a “first the revolution” silver bullet plays right into NIMBY hands by ensuring the status quo is maintained as it has been for decades. Optics over outcomes.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!

SB50 failed to pass :toot:

Eat poo poo Weiner, ya real estate ghoul

This is pretty clearly great news for the country! The more people are forced out of California by rising housing prices, the better Democrats will do in Senate and presidential elections in other states. Thanks to the people of California for making this sacrifice on behalf of our nation.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

the incremental answer is public housing, the bill (in sf) is the community housing act, the candidate is jackie fielder (ps scott, try to keep that seat warm for her, tia)

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
So did it need an absolute majority to pass? Not just a plurality of members present, or whatever? Weird. (And more evidence that the California Senate needs to be like 2-3x bigger. Or switch to a unicameral legislature so we don't have all these bills that one house passes for show, assuming the other house is going to amend them into something useful. Or when one house passes a good bill and the lobbyists descend on it in the other house.)

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

Doc Hawkins posted:

the incremental answer is public housing, the bill (in sf) is the community housing act, the candidate is jackie fielder (ps scott, try to keep that seat warm for her, tia)

Looks like hot garbage to me.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!

Spazzle posted:

Looks like hot garbage to me.

To be honest it looks good to me and I'm a pro SB50 guy. Funding by taxing giant corporations is laughable compared to property taxes but it's California, what are you gonna do, you can't repeal prop 13 in SF only. Sure, opposing zoning reform makes you complicit in the dire condition of the homeless, no matter what other proposals you support, but that doesn't mean the proposals themselves are bad.

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

nrook posted:

This is pretty clearly great news for the country! The more people are forced out of California by rising housing prices, the better Democrats will do in Senate and presidential elections in other states. Thanks to the people of California for making this sacrifice on behalf of our nation.

Look I don't like it either, but it's clear Weiner can't get it done and private development just isn't feasible. We're just going to have to hold our noses and let local communities build pubic housing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

nrook posted:

To be honest it looks good to me and I'm a pro SB50 guy. Funding by taxing giant corporations is laughable compared to property taxes but it's California, what are you gonna do, you can't repeal prop 13 in SF only. Sure, opposing zoning reform makes you complicit in the dire condition of the homeless, no matter what other proposals you support, but that doesn't mean the proposals themselves are bad.

It looks like a laundry list of masturbatory demands, aims to make only 500 units a year , and addresses nothing about why housing is impossible to build. We have dipshits who fight tooth and nail to prevent anything from getting built, why is there the assumption that they will suddenly stand down because we're building affordable housing?