Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer

Marching Powder posted:

actually could i ask a favour of one of you weirdos in your area of expertise (digging through people's garbage for internet cred)? could anyone find that person i was talking about earlier who red text avatar'd me? i want to read about their eventual ruin in the bitcoin game and their gradual, graphic death in the goon doctor - which i assume still exists - of; again, assuming, necrotic genitals?

Only bitcoin crazy I remember was Serpah, and I think he went over the multiple permaban edge a handful of years ago.

Party like it's 2014, apparently.

Remember that time I was really excited and hawking Star Citizen on this thread, and totally unprepared for Imp Zone coming in and screaming some sense into us?

Good times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Bootcha posted:

Only bitcoin crazy I remember was Serpah, and I think he went over the multiple permaban edge a handful of years ago.

Party like it's 2014, apparently.

Remember that time I was really excited and hawking Star Citizen on this thread, and totally unprepared for Imp Zone coming in and screaming some sense into us?

Good times.

i could be mixing up my idiots but i could also extremely easily also be not mixing up my idiots. thanks for trying without doing anything weird. i vagggggguuuuueeeelllyy remember you. are you significant, or a significant idiot? erring on the former but intensely expecting to be wrong.

EmesiS
Feb 5, 2016

I have never not wanted cookies more than I don’t right now.

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Marching Powder posted:

i could be mixing up my idiots but i could also extremely easily also be not mixing up my idiots. thanks for trying without doing anything weird. i vagggggguuuuueeeelllyy remember you. are you significant, or a significant idiot? erring on the former but intensely expecting to be wrong.

I was/am both, I was the idiot investor that was with CIG from just after the 2012 pitch. Currently being an idiot making the Sunk Cost Galaxy video documentary on this train wreck.

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development
What's the topic of the next Sunk Cost Galaxy vid btw?

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Bootcha posted:

I was/am both, I was the idiot investor

Marching Powder posted:

are you significant, or a significant idiot? erring on the former but intensely expecting to be wrong.

swish

goddamn. iirc, it was more than like 100g but less than a mil right? and you got it all back right? fuckkkkkk man it's not many rooms where you could ask someone to point you to the smartest man in the room and another to point you to the dumbest man and it's the same person and they're both correct.

poo poo some idiots would be nosing at your numbers by now and having dreams instead of shares right? drat.

well, you're the person who i actually give the least poo poo about sticking around to see this shitfire burn out. good to remeet you. not good to meet / remeet everyone else.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

Marching Powder posted:

not good to meet / remeet everyone else.

:lol:

Awww man, right when I was getting nostalgic...

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
You're an important person and your feelings are valid.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

G0RF posted:

Awww man, right when I was getting nostalgic...

ah. i actually like you. you're still here in 2020 and associated with this shitpile so i have no idea why this is but i actually like you, space invader man.

Breetai posted:

You're an important person and your feelings are valid.

thanks. my hobbies include being indignant at people taking up valuable posting space in a completely dead thread talking to himself and the, like, two other people that still post there. what's yours?

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

Marching Powder posted:

Thread sheriffing.

I liked your old avatar with the drunk Russians dancing better.

Welcome back, nothing much has changed. :wave:

Zzr
Oct 6, 2016

TheAgent posted:

I guess I'm just trying to figure out why they enjoy it, when there's much better games out there that do exactly what they want without substantial buy ins

Maybe it's his first video game ?

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development
:reddit: You think its p2w when the majority says its not? okk, but your own problem tho as seems that the rest are pretty happy with the model

you dont like the game as it is? Ok, but its still in development anyway so it will iterate many times or just get fixed

For the rest, if you dont like it dont play it, players couldnt care less about this kind of opinions and if its about backing the game i can put another 45$ bucks to make up for 1 less player, if you dont like the game youre not forced to play it at least noone forced me to.

We can discuss mechanics, concepts and even ship pricing if you like to,but after that many years the p2w argument already gets old and pretty boring..

Edit: let the poor peasants downvote instead of looking for a JOB and earn money to expend on their hobbys, i cant laugh harder rlly and as we say in our country "you could have studied".

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Quavers posted:

:reddit: You think its p2w when the majority says its not? okk, but your own problem tho as seems that the rest are pretty happy with the model

you dont like the game as it is? Ok, but its still in development anyway so it will iterate many times or just get fixed

For the rest, if you dont like it dont play it, players couldnt care less about this kind of opinions and if its about backing the game i can put another 45$ bucks to make up for 1 less player, if you dont like the game youre not forced to play it at least noone forced me to.

We can discuss mechanics, concepts and even ship pricing if you like to,but after that many years the p2w argument already gets old and pretty boring..

Edit: let the poor peasants downvote instead of looking for a JOB and earn money to expend on their hobbys, i cant laugh harder rlly and as we say in our country "you could have studied".

Is this how refundians are born?

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

G0RF posted:

It needs to be a blockbuster right out of the gate. No excuses for anything less.

Oh come come, you know the backers will find an excuse for anything. I bet they immediately switch to "Well, of course not many sales, most people who wanted it already bought it, because its such a great game, and besides, CIG don't need more money, they have plenty"

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Sabreseven posted:

I liked your old avatar with the drunk Russians dancing better.

Welcome back, nothing much has changed. :wave:

well that's good, see you all again in 5 or 6 years, or if i hear through cultural osmosis that this shitfight has imploded. if any of you had any sense you follow my lead and spend your time thinking and posting about very nearly - if not absolutely - anything else this forum has to offer. my regards to the morons who missed me, ugh, kramering in. and by regards of course i mean basically endless derision and scorn unless you are one of the very few people i found even slightly tolerable and no it's not you.

have fun

Baxta
Feb 18, 2004

Needs More Pirate

Marching Powder posted:

well that's good, see you all again in 5 or 6 years, or if i hear through cultural osmosis that this shitfight has imploded. if any of you had any sense you follow my lead and spend your time thinking and posting about very nearly - if not absolutely - anything else this forum has to offer. my regards to the morons who missed me, ugh, kramering in. and by regards of course i mean basically endless derision and scorn unless you are one of the very few people i found even slightly tolerable and no it's not you.

have fun

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away
What the gently caress is going on in this thread

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

game development

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Marching Powder posted:

have fun

Goodbye, Marching Powder! I hope these other things bring you positivity and happiness!

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

Ghostlight posted:

game development

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

Quavers posted:

Majority of who? Majority of people that pay to win?

IcarusUpHigh
Dec 20, 2016

Marching Powder posted:

have fun

There is other stuff on this forum?

Jonny Shiloh
Mar 7, 2019
You 'orrible little man

IcarusUpHigh posted:

There is other stuff on this forum?

Honestly I've no idea - my life is so bound up in my deep and burning hatred of Star Citizen and everything/everyone even remotely connected to it that I've never gone looking.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

Nalin posted:

I'm not going to be scared off. If anything I'll just get bored of the game and stop playing it for another year or two. That actually might happen in 3.9 because they are talking about making ships suffer "consequences" for flying fast. Slowing down combat speeds sounds nice, but in a game with lots of waiting, I don't want to wait even more to fly somewhere.

I mean if you enjoy it, that's cool. It looks like a nightmare from all the gifs in the thread but I have games in my top 5 of all time that most people hate so :shrug:

The real interesting question, as put forward originally, is do you think SC will be a thing? Like after reading/seeing everything so far do you still believe it will be the game promised eventually?

DOMDOM posted:

I played ED briefly, like enough to manually land the ship and fly around some points, but I only battled once or twice and can't remember poo poo

You honestly played about 95% of the game as is. It splits the difference nicely between realism and being game-ey by rewarding traditional flight simulator skills and flying with assist off. It flies beautifully, unlike SC's noclip implementation, and you really feel the difference between ships. It has amazing sound design. This all being said there's no game attached to this. Combat is against AI that flies perfectly without flight assist, has insane upgrades, and will endlessly spawn in billion-dollar ships to hound you for that single $10 crate in your hold. Making money is considered heresy and is largely based around watching forums for a gold rush tactic to abuse before it gets nerfed. The gameplay is imagining something and then pretending your headcanon is the game.

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

There was talk of Escape from Tarkov, or as I like to call it "Walking on cornflakes and potato chips while micromanaging your gear slots simulator". Not my cup of tea, but does seem to have moments of brilliance and decent general design.

I've been playing a little 'Scum' lately, well, when I can drag myself away from RDR2 that is.

I hear there's this space movie that's far better than anything else and is so advanced in every way that the bugs and glitches are just the movies way of loving with you, because it's fidelity, and it has no p2w whatsoever but is built around a cash shop and the more expensive boats are so un-p2w that only the more expensive ones punch above their weight and everything else just says it does.

I have no idea what anything is anymore.

Send coffee or vodka, not fussed.

Edit; gently caress spelling yo

Sabreseven fucked around with this message at 12:38 on Jan 30, 2020

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.
I just love how fanatics' expectation on game delivery grow constantly.
It was 'just a year more' all the way back in 2013...Seven years ago. Seven.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Sillybones posted:

What the gently caress is going on in this thread

We ran out of content so we're doing one of those "greatest hits" episodes

marumaru
May 20, 2013

AntherUslessPoster posted:

I just love how fanatics' expectation on game delivery grow constantly.
It was 'just a year more' all the way back in 2013...Seven years ago. Seven.

but no game of this scale has ever been attempted before...

Sanya Juutilainen
Jun 19, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mailer posted:

(...)
Combat is against AI that flies perfectly without flight assist, has insane upgrades, and will endlessly spawn in billion-dollar ships to hound you for that single $10 crate in your hold. Making money is considered heresy and is largely based around watching forums for a gold rush tactic to abuse before it gets nerfed.
(...)

The combat you describe is only when talking top enemy AI (Dangerous / Elite), otherwise not really. Heck, Harmless ships often can't even circle you when in slower ships and you can just shoot them as sitting ducks until killed. Mid-range difficulties often use hit-and-run tactics as well.

Also the money issues were mostly fixed with the redesigned mining which is already like a year old. It has been hit a bit recently by rebalancing, but you can still make hundreds of millions an hour easily right now - I regularly see this advised to new players, where it's said within a day they can be sitting in Anaconda / Krait.

The end line is true, though, Elite isn't about "what am I supposed to do". You're supposed to know what you enjoy and do that just for fun mostly.

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I think there's also a strange "ground floor" anticipation with Star Citizen.

World of Warcraft's walking into Stormwind for the first time. Star Wars Galaxies's first lightsaber crafted. Eve Online's first great null-sec war. Day-Z's first raid on the army barracks. Minecraft's first night survival. Subnautica's first base. And many more experiences from the past.

All these moments have been shared, and not just individually, but also virally via YouTube and game rags and blogs. All those moments were burned into an audience's landscape of gaming memories. And that landscape always had an incoming horizon that did not stand still. The past was forgotten. The new experiences were here. The landscape had little brainspace for nostalgia.

And now, here's a product of nostalgia, brought to life by the cash of the forgotten.

They have a chance to be on the ground floor of a great new experience. But since everyone else is going to be on that "ground floor", it would behoove themselves to skip that floor and shoot up to the top, with assets, ships, and maybe a friend and ally or two. No waiting to build a brand, the brand is invented and prepared to ship.

It may be organic in it's desire, but it's completely artificial in it's practice.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
I want to take a hatchet to ED, take their flying system and attached sound design, and sew it onto X4. It would need some adjustments for turrets, but that's all I need.

The rest of ED is forgettable.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Who will be the special guest star next week?

Sanya Juutilainen
Jun 19, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Bootcha posted:

World of Warcraft's walking into Stormwind for the first time. Star Wars Galaxies's first lightsaber crafted. Eve Online's first great null-sec war. Day-Z's first raid on the army barracks. Minecraft's first night survival. Subnautica's first base. And many more experiences from the past.

All these moments have been shared, and not just individually, but also virally via YouTube and game rags and blogs. All those moments were burned into an audience's landscape of gaming memories. And that landscape always had an incoming horizon that did not stand still. The past was forgotten. The new experiences were here. The landscape had little brainspace for nostalgia.

Got reminded of
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FPiDjDQHB6c

And yes, Star Citizen doesn't seem to have such experience yet - or at least not reliably and without conditions. Many people say that they are pleased with being able to walk out from a ship, but it doesn't seem to be on par with what is described, because the "there should be more" aspect was there first, unlike for the others.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Antigravitas posted:

I want to take a hatchet to ED, take their flying system and attached sound design, and sew it onto X4. It would need some adjustments for turrets, but that's all I need.

The rest of ED is forgettable.

Amen

Although it makes me remember the elite dangerous launch trailer, which was filled with lies and also lies. Bet CIG snapped that guy right up.

Mu77ley
Oct 14, 2016

Antigravitas posted:

Sounds bloody awful to me... but I've not liked a single X game so far.

lilbeefer
Oct 4, 2004

Mu77ley posted:

Sounds bloody awful to me... but I've not liked a single X game so far.

X could be the ultimate space game if it was somewhat intuitive. The depth is impressive.

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

lilbeefer posted:

X could be the ultimate space game if it was somewhat intuitive. The depth is impressive.

That depth can exist thanks to the overwhelmingly limiting factor of being a single player game. Try to implement something like that in an online multiplayer game with a modicum of competition and behold how the Pandora’s box of exploiting and cheating runs the whole house down. So far only EVE can claim a similar feat.

Sanya Juutilainen
Jun 19, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

Amen

Although it makes me remember the elite dangerous launch trailer, which was filled with lies and also lies. Bet CIG snapped that guy right up.

To be fair, the only lie I see is the fight happening around the station / huge asteroid (talking everything past the mark you posted). Other than that, it was fairly on point for the release, some CZs play out exactly as what's shown.

DigitalPenny
Sep 3, 2018

lilbeefer posted:

The X series is like just shy of poo poo balls amazing but just falls into a puddle of this is frustrating as all hell i can't stand playing it.

Still does everything better than star citizen for a 20th of the budget. Imagine if you have those guys 400 million to make a game or just all the great art work that cig has thrown out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Zaphod42 posted:

Sure, but as said that's the easiest thing in game dev.

You could hire a good artist to make assets like CIG has for a few thousand dollars.

.... but they have 200M. And spaceship jpgs are really worthless without the dream of the game to fly them in. But all CIG does is make ships, no game.

Star Citizen - worthless without the dream of the game