Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best Splat
Vampire
Werewolf
Mage
Changeling
Promethean
Demon
Hunter
Sin Eater
Deviant
Mummy lol
beast?!
Goku
View Results

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

It's kind of impossible for me to stomach "the Traditions are actually kind of bad if you think it through, so just gently caress it I guess" from the guy who wrote Book of the Fallen where he selfsucks about the seriousness of Real True Evil™ for a dozen pages and "there's no character sheet at the back of this book, because evil isn't cool and you shouldn't play these characters" but it's still got plenty of black lightning katanas, cutesy references and jokes like a Cujo stat block, and of course a bushel of fiddly character-building bits.

That Old Tree fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Jan 30, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
The bit about replacing the Traditions with the Disparate Alliance that also drives me crazy is that I literally can't see how, if you didn't like the Traditions, the Disparates are supposed to be an improvement. They're just more Traditions, only much smaller and regionally-specific!

(Which is one reason why them all being in an alliance makes no sense but whatever)

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Brucato seriously needs to stick solely to churning out his most Kirby-esque extradimensional fantasies, with a stern editor tapping their foot behind him the whole time, and let literally any other experienced WoDhand do all the other poo poo like making a nostalgia product for a game line he kind of hates the premise of.

EDIT: 80 pages of secondary Abilities and Merits & Flaws.

80 pages of secondary Abilities and Merits & Flaws.

80 pages…

80. And that's terrible.

Octavo
Feb 11, 2019

It's too bad the fans drove Jesse Heinig to hate Mage, otherwise maybe he would have done the 20th Anniversary edition (or M5 should such a thing exist.)

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Octavo posted:

It's too bad the fans drove Jesse Heinig to hate Mage, otherwise maybe he would have done the 20th Anniversary edition (or M5 should such a thing exist.)

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Rand Brittain posted:

The bit about replacing the Traditions with the Disparate Alliance that also drives me crazy is that I literally can't see how, if you didn't like the Traditions, the Disparates are supposed to be an improvement. They're just more Traditions, only much smaller and regionally-specific!

(Which is one reason why them all being in an alliance makes no sense but whatever)
Perhaps the theory of "they haven't done anything that bad yet - even if that's probably because they lacked the ability to do so"?

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

My takeaway from the ouroboros of Magechat is that oMage has the deep problem of being extremely 90s in a particularly lovely, Gen X-y way. It's "everything sucks, everyone sucks, nothing matters" edge, but from the immensely privileged and blinkered viewpoint that so much of that 90s tryhard nihilism is mired in. Thus you have the Technocracy which is the most "The Man, man" kind of The Man and the traditions who are extremely 90s White Guy takes on "Exotic" counterculture ideas thrown about with little real understanding towards either group.

I think it was Mors who ages ago described oWoD as people arguing about the wallpaper in a house falling off a cliff, and if so I hand it to them, that's a really pithy way to say it.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Nckdictator posted:

Extremely dumb and subjective question here but which line of books tend to be more fun to just read and enjoy for the themes and worldbuilding, CoD or oWOD?

I just poured over the Wraith Anniversary and Promethean core books and utterly loved both.

If you haven't read the other Promethean books yet, Saturnine Night is really enjoyable. I wish I had a group so I could play an Osiran created through cryogenics, with a wasteland effect that slowly freeze-dries the landscape...

YMMV, but I also like the Gehenna books. Wasn't a huge fan of the Book of Nod - found it pretentious.

Has anyone read the Vampire clan novels?

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

As somebody who relies on modern medicine to be, you know, functional, and considering things like the anti-vax movement, the whole "Science is the bad guys" really does not sit well with me.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Nessus posted:

Perhaps the theory of "they haven't done anything that bad yet - even if that's probably because they lacked the ability to do so"?
Doing the same thing over and over again but expecting better results is the spirit of oWoD

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

Zereth posted:

As somebody who relies on modern medicine to be, you know, functional, and considering things like the anti-vax movement, the whole "Science is the bad guys" really does not sit well with me.

This and also practically every other X-tremely 90s Zeitgeisty conspiracy that got wrapped up in the Technocracy. The only side of them that doesn't have that is the Syndicate, who are just straightforwardly evil capitalists, but even then the manner in which they're evil capitalists seems much more 'the banks control everything!' than 'the banks get rich off of things being lovely, so they have a vested interest in things remaining lovely' (which is the NMage model the Seers follow).

The 'evil' in 'evil capitalists' is redundant but it feels warranted here.

Digital Osmosis
Nov 10, 2002

Smile, Citizen! Happiness is Mandatory.

Nckdictator posted:

Extremely dumb and subjective question here but which line of books tend to be more fun to just read and enjoy for the themes and worldbuilding, CoD or oWOD?

I just poured over the Wraith Anniversary and Promethean core books and utterly loved both.

I wanna shout out CoD's Demon: The Decent. You already read and loved Promethean so you clearly dig "oh, this is a really coherent and thematically tight original take on a monster type" and DtD is probably the most thematically coherent game other than Promethean in either WoD. It's books also tend to be extremely well written and full of cool ideas - hell the premise is "fallen angels, but angels are gnostic robots in service to the god-machine" so even the brute premise is a really cool idea. I'm currently in a re-read of it and enjoying the hell out of even stuff that sounds like it should be dry like the storyteller's guide's advice on the different moods of spy fiction. I feel like the thread consensus generally agrees but there hasn't been much new Demon stuff in a minute (probably something in the new Dark Ages book, yeah?) and I don't think anyone here is running a game, so it might not come up otherwise but yeah, don't sleep on Demon.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Tetrabor posted:

Twilight was written by someone who had no knowledge of vampire lore beyond "They need blood!"
There's nothing stopping Twilight vamps from taking over because their only weakness is the same as humans (Everything dies to fire.)

The thing stopping Twilight vampires from taking over is that, as illustrated by Bella, there are far more terrifying predators in the world who specifically prey on vampires.

(I've only watched the first movie, don't @ me.)

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Zereth posted:

Yeah. My problem with the Technocracy is that rather than stating "Bad People Are Using Science To Do Bad Things" the game rather explicitly states "No, the very idea of codifying knowledge is in and of itself an evil", the very existence of science itself is bad within the narrative of mage. And should the trads win all that happens is we replace a dystopian hellscape with dadist hellscape that we're told is a victory because the people who have their name on the front of the book are now the ones with their boot on the neck of the huddled masses.

It's the same reason I hate Bridges era Werewolf because your only provided end goal is reverting humanity to a survival of the fittest subsistence level hunter gatherer society. Also you should probably get rid of all communication more complex than grunts, that's also evil.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
There's probably an article to be written about the neo-luddite underpinnings of Mage, Werewolf, and Changeling, and how they tie into the broader tendency of fantasy to trend (usually completely unwittingly) towards fascist ideologies, given the complicating factors of the gothic-punk influence.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

I'm playing the first session of a new Awakening chronicle tonight and I'm so excited. It's been way too long since I got to play in one of these.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Loomer posted:

There's probably an article to be written about the neo-luddite underpinnings of Mage, Werewolf, and Changeling, and how they tie into the broader tendency of fantasy to trend (usually completely unwittingly) towards fascist ideologies, given the complicating factors of the gothic-punk influence.
I'd read that article, or one about some of the underlying assumptions that kind of became ubiquitous in the 90s (science and magic as some kind of binary continuum or opposites; gods explicitly powered by belief; etc.)

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

The Longest Journey has a Law/Technology vs Chaos/Magic duality that basically amounts to "Both extremes are poo poo, balance is also poo poo, everything is poo poo, but technology is particularly poo poo so probably magic I guess."

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
The Technocracy are just the Super CIA who impose global imperialism and exploitation while claiming they do it for science, while they drove away all the actual scientific minds decades ago.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

Octavo posted:

Not everyone knows that the revised Syndicate book wasn't written by a psychotic Ayn Rand fan, or that the author was writing viscous parodies of awful capitalist ideologies while his family members were getting foreclosed on.

I came to all this stuff pretty late, poring over oWoD in about 2009-10 with some friends, but I want to highlight one thing: The Syndicate book was dedicated to Adrian Pasdar, an actor I'd only known from Heroes, "who, for a few fleeting weeks, captured the heart and soul of the Syndicate".* After glancing at that, reading bits and pieces of the book, looking back weeks later at the dedication, I found a copy online of the show Profit, which Pasdar had starred in back in the 90s.

It's amazing and now I own the DVDs. Well-written, well-acted.** No character comes across as stupid. The villain protagonist succeeds not because his ambition is greater, but because he's non-stop in his plotting, because manipulating his way up the corporate ladder is his all-consuming psychopathic obsession.

*It's also dedicated to Mother Jones.
**Plus ridiculous mid-90s CGI computer sequences!

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

MonsieurChoc posted:

The Technocracy are just the Super CIA who impose global imperialism and exploitation while claiming they do it for science, while they drove away all the actual scientific minds decades ago.

The Technocracy is not one thing, because it spans four widely different editions across nearly 25 years, with immense contradictions between editions, within editions, and even within books.

That Old Tree posted:

Brucato seriously needs to stick solely to churning out his most Kirby-esque extradimensional fantasies, with a stern editor tapping their foot behind him the whole time, and let literally any other experienced WoDhand do all the other poo poo like making a nostalgia product for a game line he kind of hates the premise of.

EDIT: 80 pages of secondary Abilities and Merits & Flaws.

The 'editor' credited for M20 was apparently only a proofreader, and all actual editing was left to Brucato himself.

Also 80 pages of secondary Abilities, Merits, and Flaws has nothing on the fact that two contradictory sets of rules are provided for damaging objects. Like Brucato straight-up forgot he'd written them and wrote a new set later in the book.

LatwPIAT fucked around with this message at 12:26 on Jan 30, 2020

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Nessus posted:

I'd read that article, or one about some of the underlying assumptions that kind of became ubiquitous in the 90s (science and magic as some kind of binary continuum or opposites; gods explicitly powered by belief; etc.)

I think also the examination of the conspiracy theory stuff and how we all kind of studiously ignored the antisemitism that pervaded most of it at the core.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Kurieg posted:

Yeah. My problem with the Technocracy is that rather than stating "Bad People Are Using Science To Do Bad Things" the game rather explicitly states "No, the very idea of codifying knowledge is in and of itself an evil", the very existence of science itself is bad within the narrative of mage. And should the trads win all that happens is we replace a dystopian hellscape with dadist hellscape that we're told is a victory because the people who have their name on the front of the book are now the ones with their boot on the neck of the huddled masses.

It's the same reason I hate Bridges era Werewolf because your only provided end goal is reverting humanity to a survival of the fittest subsistence level hunter gatherer society. Also you should probably get rid of all communication more complex than grunts, that's also evil.
I'm pretty sure if the Trads win they immediately dissolve and suddenly they're now at least nine factions fighting each other because they have, like, nothing in common with each other besides a common enemy.

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways

Mors Rattus posted:

Mostly? Eastern european legends. A whole loving lot of them. The vampire's a big part of that whole cultural sphere and has been for a lot longer than Bram Stoker. Not just them, though - vampire scares were a real world thing up until, like, the late 1800s. There was a big one in New England, centered on Connecticut, in the 1850s.

There's actually a lot of medieval and pre-modern lore on vampires.

e: mind you, WoD ignores most of it. The counting thing's a relatively common one...the pijavica getting picked up for nVamp was actually really cool, they're real lore. Nails through the hands and feet is a common piece of lore, as is use of ash wood. Dhampir legendry a whole side avenue to mine which is pretty cool. Mind you for most of this the vampire is a disease thing rather than a sexiness thing, including the Great New England Vampire Panic.
My point is that all of these stories contradict each other about everything except blood is somehow involved so the idea that Stephanie Meyer somehow ignored the lore when she wrote Twilight is nonsensical. People who think folklore and myths have a canon are incredibly mistaken.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

neaden posted:

My point is that all of these stories contradict each other about everything except blood is somehow involved so the idea that Stephanie Meyer somehow ignored the lore when she wrote Twilight is nonsensical. People who think folklore and myths have a canon are incredibly mistaken.

It's 2020, Why are you defending Twilight? In the WOD thread of all places?

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

neaden posted:

That's fair, though there's definitely commonalities and threads one can follow through this stuff.

Octavo
Feb 11, 2019

Loomer posted:

I think there’s something weirder going on with Mage that has to do with the the book “Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance”, which advanced the idea that idea that technology has become alienating, but is not inherently negative. That’s Stew Weick’s major source for a lot of the ideas in Mage 1E, but was not necessarily a source for the ideas in the Brucato-developed supplements that followed.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Zereth posted:

That's pretty much where I am. If you make me choose between Anti-vaxxers + pray-the-gay-awayers and the Technocracy, then gimme some dark sunglasses and a suit, because I'm totally a Technocrat in that case.

I vaguely remember a bit from the beginning the "guide to the Technocracy." It went something like, "You are a Technocrat. You like living in a house with electricity, driving a car, having toilet paper. You would not want to live in the woods and wipe your rear end with leaves while singing praises to Nature. You are one of us."

Beyond all that, do we really want to live in the world of Michael Chricton's Sphere where everyone has the ability to make their thoughts real? I don't think I would.

Everyone fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Jan 30, 2020

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Everyone posted:

That's pretty much where I am. If you make me choose between Anti-vaxxers + pray-the-gay-awayers and the Technocracy, then gimme some dark sunglasses and a suit, because I'm totally a Tachnocrat in that case.

I vaguely remember a bit from the beginning the "guide to the Technocracy." It went something like, "You are a Technocrat. You like living in a house with electricity, driving a car, having toilet paper. You would not want to live in the woods and wipe your rear end with leaves while singing praises to Nature. You are one of us."
If Brucato weren't so Brucato and if the whole setting wasn't a house built on sand, you could just as easily write one for the Traditions.
"You are not a Technocrat. You don't understand why you need to go to an office and push keys on a keyboard for a set of hours during the day in order to make numbers on a screen go up. You dislike that you are doing this to make numbers on your bank screen go up and on your student loan debt screen go down. You would not want to get an injury or illness your insurance does not cover. You do not believe the system works. You are not one of them."

Octavo
Feb 11, 2019

Chernobyl Peace Prize posted:

If Brucato weren't so Brucato and if the whole setting wasn't a house built on sand, you could just as easily write one for the Traditions.
"You are not a Technocrat. You don't understand why you need to go to an office and push keys on a keyboard for a set of hours during the day in order to make numbers on a screen go up. You dislike that you are doing this to make numbers on your bank screen go up and on your student loan debt screen go down. You would not want to get an injury or illness your insurance does not cover. You do not believe the system works. You are not one of them."

This is it. Technology is not technocracy. Technofeudalism sucks so bad.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

That Old Tree posted:

In terms of poo poo Brucato hates the premise of I've started to leaf through Book of the Fallen and...

Well, put it this way. I am 100% down with X-card mechanics and trigger warnings and content warnings and everything else the Chuds decry as effete snowflakery. It is no skin off my nose if a product has a robust trigger warning at the front, and it might save someone with more skin in the game from being confronted with triggering content, so why not, right?

The extent to which Brucato constantly disclaims the content of the book is astonishing and deeply irritating. It's like he flat-out doesn't trust people not to read the (multiple pages long!) disclaimer he put at the front, or for that matter a disclaimer he put in the book mere pages ago, but has to restate it all over again multiple times, along with a reminder that you aren't using this to make Nephandi PCs are you? Because that would be naughty and bad and make Uncle Satyros sad.

Also he has an entire sidebar about "cartoonish evil" vs "realistic evil" and then claims he's serving up the latter despite the fact that it's a book about, you know, cosmic hellraisers out to destroy the multiverse with the help of Cthulhu.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Warthur posted:

In terms of poo poo Brucato hates the premise of I've started to leaf through Book of the Fallen and...

Well, put it this way. I am 100% down with X-card mechanics and trigger warnings and content warnings and everything else the Chuds decry as effete snowflakery. It is no skin off my nose if a product has a robust trigger warning at the front, and it might save someone with more skin in the game from being confronted with triggering content, so why not, right?

The extent to which Brucato constantly disclaims the content of the book is astonishing and deeply irritating. It's like he flat-out doesn't trust people not to read the (multiple pages long!) disclaimer he put at the front, or for that matter a disclaimer he put in the book mere pages ago, but has to restate it all over again multiple times, along with a reminder that you aren't using this to make Nephandi PCs are you? Because that would be naughty and bad and make Uncle Satyros sad.

Also he has an entire sidebar about "cartoonish evil" vs "realistic evil" and then claims he's serving up the latter despite the fact that it's a book about, you know, cosmic hellraisers out to destroy the multiverse with the help of Cthulhu.

He literally doesn't. Before Book of the Fallen, at least one M20 book had a sidebar about how Nephandi would not and would never be playable because portraying that degree of evil would affect your real life self.

(No mention of what it does to the GM, mind.)

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Mors Rattus posted:

He literally doesn't. Before Book of the Fallen, at least one M20 book had a sidebar about how Nephandi would not and would never be playable because portraying that degree of evil would affect your real life self.

Yeah, I'd encountered that. I'm just impressed at the extent to which he grouses and kicks his feet and says "but I don't wanna write this!" throughout the entire book. They should really have given the project to someone else.

It reminds me, in fact, of the reason why Exorcist II turned into such a debacle: John Boorman hated the concept of The Exorcist and had previously turned down the director's job on the original, so when they gave the sequel to him he just did his own thing and clearly resented having to tie it into the original to the extent that he did. Except here WW have the licensing oversight to stop Brucato from doing that, so he just turns in the work but whines constantly about having to deal with the subject matter.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Mors Rattus posted:

Please ignore that the Baali exist.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Mors Rattus posted:

honestly that is a great observation, one of the things that really soured me on oWoD was the edgelord tryhardiness made manifest with stuff like the Baali, for example.

Also, with the ever-increasing Games Workshop levels of "EVIL[CHAOS] IS ACTUALLY BETTER NUH UH GOOD SUCKS", which come the gently caress on. I appreciate that CofD is waaaaay loving better in that regard, although I don't have any idea of what to make about Slashers. The idea is... Alright, pulp style horror villains, but like if you are going to do the slasher from the Horror Recognition Guide, dear god just loving no please?

(gently caress Beast tho)

Precambrian
Apr 30, 2008

I think I realized the real problem with the Traditions when someone defended them by saying something to the effect of, "it'd be good if my grandma could actually cure illnesses with a prayer to the right saint, and I could do it through yoga instead of relying on a pharmaceutical corporation." Which is all well and good, except your grandma doesn't pray to St. Peregrine for a pop of local color from the old country, she does it because she believes in the truth of her faith. The Traditions are just neoliberal multiculturalism, a "wouldn't it be neat if the shamans and the faith healers and the wizards were all allowed to be a little right (though I'm the guy with the real truth, of course)?" Better than the Technocracy's neoliberal homogeneity, but it's just a different strain of the same worldview.

Belief in Consensus Reality is, itself, a belief system, and it's the only one that's true in the setting. That's what makes the Traditions just an argument over aesthetics, since everyone's quaint and quirky beliefs are just a different way of dressing up the Actual Truth, and it's all written from a position of unexamined privilege.

Octavo
Feb 11, 2019

Precambrian posted:

I think I realized the real problem with the Traditions when someone defended them by saying something to the effect of, "it'd be good if my grandma could actually cure illnesses with a prayer to the right saint, and I could do it through yoga instead of relying on a pharmaceutical corporation." Which is all well and good, except your grandma doesn't pray to St. Peregrine for a pop of local color from the old country, she does it because she believes in the truth of her faith. The Traditions are just neoliberal multiculturalism, a "wouldn't it be neat if the shamans and the faith healers and the wizards were all allowed to be a little right (though I'm the guy with the real truth, of course)?" Better than the Technocracy's neoliberal homogeneity, but it's just a different strain of the same worldview.

Belief in Consensus Reality is, itself, a belief system, and it's the only one that's true in the setting. That's what makes the Traditions just an argument over aesthetics, since everyone's quaint and quirky beliefs are just a different way of dressing up the Actual Truth, and it's all written from a position of unexamined privilege.

I don't think this is a particularly helpful way to look at the game. The core of the Traditions v Technocracy conflict is more like the fight over the Dakota access pipeline in which agents of a state and corporate alliance seized resources from a marginalized cultural group. In Mage as in real life, different marginalized groups band together to fight against small t technocracy. A pluralistic alliance against a quasi-christian/secular exploitative tyranny is not the same thing as neoliberal multiculturalism.

Consensus reality on the other hand is just a conceit to help players imagine that allegedly eternal truths like capitalism might be social constructs. If you can pretend physics is up for grabs, maybe economics and social hierarchies are too.

Octavo fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Jan 30, 2020

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

dead gay comedy forums posted:

honestly that is a great observation, one of the things that really soured me on oWoD was the edgelord tryhardiness made manifest with stuff like the Baali, for example.

Also, with the ever-increasing Games Workshop levels of "EVIL[CHAOS] IS ACTUALLY BETTER NUH UH GOOD SUCKS", which come the gently caress on. I appreciate that CofD is waaaaay loving better in that regard, although I don't have any idea of what to make about Slashers. The idea is... Alright, pulp style horror villains, but like if you are going to do the slasher from the Horror Recognition Guide, dear god just loving no please?

(gently caress Beast tho)
Slasher, as a book, at least says "yeah these are only very briefly playable, and even then it's only a couple of them in a pretty narrow niche, and the tier 2 ones are pretty much unplayable start to finish. but hey! they might make some interesting NPCs, and here's how" and they're presented as an edge-case, failure-state for Hunters for the most part.
You can alllllmost make a case for playability for a few of them—Avengers (and the odd Legend, for a one-shot) could be former Hunters that're just very handle-with-care for the party, Brutes, maybe even Masks, are more walking claymore mines you just keep pointed towards an enemy (and, assuming they'll stay pointed towards it and not go all Emily Gillen in HRG on folks), Freaks and Mutants have nothing saying they MUST be bad beyond birth and being very bad at social skills. Charmer/Psycho and Genius/Maniacs are flat out though, those are 100% the "there's basically no story you can write up for this to be playable that wouldn't work a thousand times better by taking 20% of the crazy off and making it a PC."

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Octavo posted:

I don't think this is a particularly helpful way to look at the game. The core of the Traditions v Technocracy conflict is more like the fight over the Dakota access pipeline in which agents of a state and corporate alliance seized resources from a marginalized cultural group, whereas consensus reality is just a conceit to help players imagine that allegedly eternal truths like capitalism might be social constructs. If you can pretend physics is up for grabs, maybe economics and social hierarchies are too.

Hard disagree. Consensus reality isn't a figleaf over a "what if", it's a core principle of the game which enforces a swathe of its mechanics and which players are more or less directly invited to engage with and think about in terms of an actual metaphysic, rather than a justification for questioning supposed facts of life.

Also, if you follow that metaphor far enough, the implications of consensus reality are monstrous. If any other political system aside from neoliberal capitalism is equally workable and valid, and there aren't any constraints on that, then fascism is just as workable and valid as any other system. By its very nature consensus reality can't declare a subset of worldviews to be beyond the pale because there is no solid ground to build on, unless you insist on the Purple Paradigm being that - at which point Precambrian's complaints are dead on the money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Slasher would make for a fantastic game where you remap them to overly-violent 80s action heroes. Just a party of Snake Plisskins, Johns Rambo and McClaine, and the cast of Predator taking on the World of Darkness.