Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.
With the backstop dead and the 31st of January almost here, what's the situation on the Irish border?

Edit: 138 is the number of ideas Johnson doesn't have to fix this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
Border? What border? Brexit's been solved, not sure if you've heard.

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

Dabir posted:

this country is a grey, miserable hole full of grumpy, miserable cunts who can't imagine better and would rather have worse than be proved wrong. the most emotion you can see from your average rear end in a top hat on the streets is barely disguised horror and disgust from old fuckers with one foot in the grave, swanning about looking like they're afraid of their own farts. go outside and try and find a happy person. you can't, happy people have to stay inside or their fleeting joy would be crushed out of them by the sea of miserable frowns. all races, all genders, all religions, all anything, just loving miserable. the only people laughing are the Tories, cause these miserable fuckers put them there to make their lives worse. gently caress britain. if I could push a button and plunge this utter waste of arable land into the center of the earth and raise every other country on the planet one inch away from the steadily rising sea levels I'd do it so fast you'd all be saying your goodbyes halfway through the mantle

I've been thinking about writing a similar post for a while now, because it really is true. My inspiration was having to spend a weekend walking around my city (Peterborough - recently voted Worst Place To Live in Britain), from the centre, through the southern suburbs out to the outlying dormitory villages. Absolutely everyone you pass looks some mix of miserable, angry, fearful or just utterly worn-down and hopeless. Everytime you pass someone engaged in a conversation with someone else, or talking on their phone, you catch a brief section of either a bitter, angry row, some sort of complaint or just general low-level swear-laden moaning. I was so struck by it that I actually wondered if I was just picking up the loud, more noticeable stuff but no - everyone I passed who was engaged in some sort of human interaction was just grouchy or angry, and everyone just going about their own business looked equally grouchy or angry.

And then it strikes you that the environment and community we exist in doesn't exactly promote positive emotions. Peterborough is, by any of the metrics frequently collected, a boom town. Its population is rapidly growing, the city centre is a forest of cranes and scaffolding, there are new houses going up all over the place and an entire new town going up on the outskirks (a proper new community with facilities, services, transport links, shops and stuff, not just a giant housing estate). Unemployment is lower than the national average, economic growth is significantly higher than the regional and national average. The city centre is bustling and really quite pleasant.

But where is all that money actually going?

The city centre is full and busy, but it's all just big chain shops and restaurants that you can find in any other regional city in the country. Or banks. Or estate agents. There is one small street with a good range of independent Italian restaurants, a traditional butchers, a family-run jewellers...and a honking great Wetherspoons.

What's really noticeable walking around the suburbs (mostly Victorian and 1930s-era housing stock) is how everything that's not part of a big business for UKplc has been killed off. Just seemingly endless boarded-up empty pubs (the only open ones are all identikit chains), derelict fish-and-chip shops, closed down post offices, what was a working men's club in the process of demolition ("Site Purchased For Construction of Ten New Exciting Executive Properties") and so on. Anything that's not providing overnight accomodation for the worker bees and might provide some sort of social fabric or sense of distinct community is just vanished or rotting.

Peterbough often gets cast as a place that's 'culturally barren'. It actually has quite a thriving culture/art/creative scene, it just has a weird underground nature to it because it gets gently caress all support from the council or the city at large.

They're just finishing up a £multi-million development on the riverside right in the city centre on what had been a derelict warehouse/railway wagon works site, after a decade of deliberation and false starts. When the final scheme was approved and work began, it was supposed to be a mixed-use site with a new promenade along the river with a mix of shops and restaurants, residential in mid-rise apartments and new-build terraces at a range of prices, a new block of council offices and a disused Victorian corn mill on the site was going to be turned into part industrial history museum and part artist studio/gallery/performance venue/multi-use creative space. In its final form the museum and creative space is gone (the mill is going to be luxury flats), the mix of 'executive' to 'affordable' housing has been tipped much further towards the former than in the 'finalised' plan, the footprint has been altered so there is essentially no commercial space on the ground level and the apartment blocks have been expanded and the public promenade shrunk so it's now really just a breezy narrow catwalk that is accessed from the main road bridge over the river by a steel staircase that's so steep and industrial looking that is might as well be a fire escape, and leads from there to nowhere in particular past the offices of a couple of estate agents and legal firms plus a single coffee shop. So what would have been a genuine and fairly inclusive improvement of a huge piece of city-centre real estate is just a soulless collection of expensive apartments (within easy cycle/walking distance of the station with <50min train times to London) and a set of new council offices.

No wonder so many people look and feel so loving miserable the whole time. They supposedly live in one of the most prosperous cities in England and yet they don't see any of it.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

egg and chips for breakfast. pie and chips for lunch. what's for dinner, oh I'm feeling adventurous, pie and chips. go out on the piss, come back plastered, better get a kebab. extra chips

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Saros posted:

All the Jobschat makes me think there should be a UKMT jobs aggregator or something (maybe on the discord?) The company I work for hires regularly and is a decent place to work but there's not really anywhere to post stuff up around here and the thread moves fast enough stuff just falls off.

Could use the OP, which doesn't have enough sections and which Guava doesn't spend enough time curating

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH

That Italian Guy posted:

With the backstop dead and the 31st of January almost here, what's the situation on the Irish border?

AFAIK nothing substantive changes until the end of this year as we're now entering the "transition" period.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Red Oktober posted:

A load of this stuff is just a wish-list 'have a punt' from HR.

When I've been recruiting before I've found when I write something like 'experienced in x' or 'expert in y' this gets translated to something like 'experienced = 3 years, expert = 5' meaning that without my knowledge, HR once managed to put a spec out which required more years of experience in a piece of software than the software had existed for.

Oh absolutely, and HR being useless doesn’t surprise me at all. Once at a previous employer we were hiring for a forklift driver, and HR kept sending us applicants that couldn’t drive an FLT. Turned out they hadn’t actually put this in the job advert, and no one at HR thought to check when processing applications.

Speaking of recruitment, is 2 pages maximum still the generally accepted size for a CV? Given how few of us only have one or two jobs in our lives I wonder if it’s a bit outdated.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

That Italian Guy posted:

Boris will continue to say 'the border is fine, no one will have to do any checks or any extra paperwork' upto the last second.
Then he will get Raab to tell NI and Ireland that there will be checks and paperwork.
THATS OUR BORIS!

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

BalloonFish posted:

No wonder so many people look and feel so loving miserable the whole time. They supposedly live in one of the most prosperous cities in England and yet they don't see any of it.
I feel like in that sense Peterborough is the canary in the mine for the rest of the UK. Over the last few years the tories have been telling us over and over that we're world leaders in finance, the economy is strong, Britain is prosperous etc. But nobody at ground level is seeing it. The NHS is underfunded, homelessness is on the rise, record food bank usage, nobody can afford a house...

We're told we're making these ridiculous sums of money, but what do we have to show for it?

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
I'm always extremely happy and kind, in the abstract. I suppose earbuds help.

I find people largely react to it positively, but then I feed on misery.

Lobster God
Nov 5, 2008
https://twitter.com/MichaelPDeacon/status/1222864870695227398?s=19

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Bobby Deluxe posted:

I feel like in that sense Peterborough is the canary in the mine for the rest of the UK. Over the last few years the tories have been telling us over and over that we're world leaders in finance, the economy is strong, Britain is prosperous etc. But nobody at ground level is seeing it. The NHS is underfunded, homelessness is on the rise, record food bank usage, nobody can afford a house...

We're told we're making these ridiculous sums of money, but what do we have to show for it?
"On average, incomes have never been higher!"

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Saros posted:

All the Jobschat makes me think there should be a UKMT jobs aggregator or something (maybe on the discord?) The company I work for hires regularly and is a decent place to work but there's not really anywhere to post stuff up around here and the thread moves fast enough stuff just falls off.

I'd be interested in that, not least because I'm looking for a career change. Feel kind of wasted where I'm at.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

Saros posted:

Renaissance Robot posted:

I'd be interested in that, not least because I'm looking for a career change. Feel kind of wasted where I'm at.

I should probably mention it's in central London but the pay floor is 30k + benefits, i.e. no job will pay less than that no matter what.

Sciences/IP backgrounds are best for the technical side and if you speak French or German you are a shoe in for a bunch of customer facing roles (all the Europeans are leaving because of Brexit). I'd rather not post my company jobsite publicly but if you hit me up via PM or discord i'll send it your way.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Talking of jobs. Just be thankful you aren't this woman.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2020/jan/30/woman-who-cruelly-tricked-best-friend-into-quitting-job-jailed

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019

I'm getting some very weird vibes from this and from all other celebratory brexiteer shenanigans. There's this air of happy, slightly deranged desperation around every development, this strange eagerness to celebrate that feels performative, but in this really quietly odd way that I just can't put my finger on. Not just your usual "they lost their grift so now they're sad but pretend that they're happy" vibes, there's something dream-like, surreal, almost Lynchian about their actions. Like listening to the sound from an old, chewed-up, stretched tape but its actually people. Idk if anybody else gets the same vibes or if it's just me overthinking this lol.

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

To join the racist oval office club you have to wear trousers that are way too long for you. Sorry, I don't make the rules

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

nurmie posted:

I'm getting some very weird vibes from this and from all other celebratory brexiteer shenanigans. There's this air of happy, slightly deranged desperation around every development, this strange eagerness to celebrate that feels performative, but in this really quietly odd way that I just can't put my finger on. Not just your usual "they lost their grift so now they're sad but pretend that they're happy" vibes, there's something dream-like, surreal, almost Lynchian about their actions. Like listening to the sound from an old, chewed-up, stretched tape but its actually people. Idk if anybody else gets the same vibes or if it's just me overthinking this lol.

It's because they have no loving idea what to do next or what will happen next so they have to do everything about Brexit and keep making everything about it because once people start thinking about what comes next then they'll lose their edge, have to start rejustifying everything they're doing and why people should support them.

It's a similar reason to why I wanted to keep drinking at 6am on the morning after the election but I got over it and starting trying to strategise. These lot don't quite seem ready for it.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

nurmie posted:

It really reminds me of that https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HyperNormalisation adam curtis talks about on that chapo episode.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Jippa posted:

It really reminds me of that https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HyperNormalisation adam curtis talks about on that chapo episode.

This is an interesting concept, and it feels like it could be broadened from the leadership class to a decent chunk of the electorate as well. It's full on sticking your head in the sand, essentially?

School Nickname
Apr 23, 2010

*fffffff-fffaaaaaaarrrtt*
:ussr:
HyperGammonisation. You know the system is hosed, but due to all the lead in your brain you have to carry on being a Gammon.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Thing with sociological effects is once a certain critical mass of people has decided to do that then it begins to have effects on the society itself.

If everyone got up one day and decided to learn Korean, we'd be a Korean speaking country. That's unlikely, but this mass change of umwelt from something like Brexit isn't.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

namesake posted:

It's because they have no loving idea what to do next or what will happen next so they have to do everything about Brexit and keep making everything about it because once people start thinking about what comes next then they'll lose their edge, have to start rejustifying everything they're doing and why people should support them.

It's a similar reason to why I wanted to keep drinking at 6am on the morning after the election but I got over it and starting trying to strategise. These lot don't quite seem ready for it.

I reckon it's also partly because the 31st itself is a technicality - nothing's going to happen (unless the government suddenly goes full No Deal) so there's gonna be a lot of performative celebration, wagging fingers and going "the REMOANERS said the sky would fall but everything's fine!" and talking up the bright and golden future for britane

It's something they want to do anyway, but it'll help cement The Event as cool and good and all the naysayers as wrong, done and dusted - so everything that comes after that isn't the consequences of Brexit itself, it's all angry saboteurs attacking and undermining the proven cool and good thing, just to punish plucky britain. They get to distance themselves from the aftermath - and that includes what happens to Northern Ireland over the next year

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

That Italian Guy posted:

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/loyalists-on-brexit-a-one-way-route-to-an-economic-united-ireland-1.4155385

I dunno much but it doesn't sound great

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

Wayne Gilmour (25), a self-declared loyalist activist from a working-class background who was a regular demonstrator in the flags protests
Gilmour was incensed by Varadkar’s comments in October that people in the North would still be able to post letters in red postboxes after the Brexit deal.

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019
HyperNormalisation seems super interesting

It does feel like we've moved from manufacturing consent to full-blown manufacturing of reality

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

yeah well, that's a fairly condescending comment. not that it isn't apt.

can you even be a loyalist after you've been betrayed? like, loyal to what?

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
let's see what else the Great British Press is talking about today (well, yesterday)

boo hoo hoo for the poor middle class

ironicat the size of the universe dot jpg

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

yeah well, that's a fairly condescending comment. not that it isn't apt.

umm HER MAJ of course

yr man seems more angry that an AGENT OF A FOREIGN STATE was sticking his oar in tbh

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

LOYAL TO FLEGS

KING BILLIE WOULD NEVER HAVE ALLOWED THIS TREASON

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Julio Cruz posted:

let's see what else the Great British Press is talking about today (well, yesterday)

boo hoo hoo for the poor middle class

ironicat the size of the universe dot jpg

I can't make any sense of that unless students from "the wealthiest neighborhoods" are disproportionately middle class. i'm sure that's the case

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
lmao

quote:

Loyalists see the new border in symbolic terms as eroding their political identity as unionists and British subjects of the crown.

quote:

“This isn’t what I signed up for: to be told by the British government to just ‘suck it up, and too bad this is the way it is going to be’.”
Kinda did though, didn't yous?

"I want to be treated like a subject." "Wait they're treating me like some kind of second-class citizen."

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь
My CV just says "please kill me 2008-now"

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

BalloonFish posted:

I've been thinking about writing a similar post for a while now, because it really is true. My inspiration was having to spend a weekend walking around my city (Peterborough - recently voted Worst Place To Live in Britain)

:words:

This is all spot on, although I'd add that in addition to (or maybe the part of the cause) the population being grouchy and angry they are also generally intolerant bigots.

Also yeah the new development is going to be soulless, much like Hampton.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Also wrong about everything, surveys say.

Continuity RCP posted:

My CV just says "please kill me 2008-now"
BORN TO DIE / WORK IS A gently caress / Kill Em All 2008-now / I am trash man / 410,757,864,530 DEAD END JOBS

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

BalloonFish posted:

I've been thinking about writing a similar post for a while now, because it really is true.

So I've had trouble putting it into words as well as Dabir did but this is basically a large part of why I left. People are just fuuuuuucking miserable in the UK (as well as racist etc.). I've met so many people in Canada who are just, happy to be happy and it is a massive contrast to the UK.

Lord Ludikrous posted:

Speaking of recruitment, is 2 pages maximum still the generally accepted size for a CV? Given how few of us only have one or two jobs in our lives I wonder if it’s a bit outdated.

Yeah I reckon so. Managed to get mine down to 1 page with the help of Parahexavoctal, the SA-Mart writing service guy (though I have no relevant formal education out of school so that was easy to cut). Took about 6 hours and he charged me like $250 but it was worth it, got 2 job offers from it. He does a lot of CVs and something that was eye-opening to me was that really you can cut out a LOT of stuff, make it a skills-focused CV and it will actually be better for it. If you're at a point where you're in your 30s or whatever you don't need lots of info about your degree, and you don't need to put your entire job history on there since leaving school. Just include the most recent one for sure, anything that is *particularly relevant/unique* about previous ones and that's it.

Overall I can recommend the writing service guy, was a really good experience and I'm really happy with the outcome.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

WhatEvil posted:

So I've had trouble putting it into words as well as Dabir did but this is basically a large part of why I left. People are just fuuuuuucking miserable in the UK (as well as racist etc.). I've met so many people in Canada who are just, happy to be happy and it is a massive contrast to the UK.

Yeah I reckon so. Managed to get mine down to 1 page with the help of Parahexavoctal, the SA-Mart writing service guy (though I have no relevant formal education out of school so that was easy to cut). Took about 6 hours and he charged me like $250 but it was worth it, got 2 job offers from it. He does a lot of CVs and something that was eye-opening to me was that really you can cut out a LOT of stuff, make it a skills-focused CV and it will actually be better for it. If you're at a point where you're in your 30s or whatever you don't need lots of info about your degree, and you don't need to put your entire job history on there since leaving school. Just include the most recent one for sure, anything that is *particularly relevant/unique* about previous ones and that's it.

Overall I can recommend the writing service guy, was a really good experience and I'm really happy with the outcome.

What I hate is doing applications on a form for local authorities that demand your complete job history. With a work history going back over 40 years, do they really want the 3 months I cleaned bogs in the local pub for 2 hours every morning because I had just moved continents, dad had just died, and I needed a reason to get out of bed in a morning?
Last time I filled in one of those I didn't put all the 'inbetween' jobs down but just made a note that 'short term jobs in hospitality or retail sector have been omitted full list available if required'. Didn't get the job, no idea if it's because I missed out 'chambermaid on Saturdays from 1984-1988'.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

What I hate is doing applications on a form for local authorities that demand your complete job history. With a work history going back over 40 years, do they really want the 3 months I cleaned bogs in the local pub for 2 hours every morning because I had just moved continents, dad had just died, and I needed a reason to get out of bed in a morning?
Last time I filled in one of those I didn't put all the 'inbetween' jobs down but just made a note that 'short term jobs in hospitality or retail sector have been omitted full list available if required'. Didn't get the job, no idea if it's because I missed out 'chambermaid on Saturdays from 1984-1988'.

Uuuuuugh loving having to fill in forms is the worst in general. My wife went through it recently, she put her CV together, sent it in, then the next step in the application process is like "tell us all this stuff that's already on your CV" but then the way you have to enter it means you can't just copy/paste, you have to type out new stuff.

Like, what's even the point of accepting a CV in the first place?

E:
Unrelated, feel I should share this with the thread:

https://twitter.com/joshua_pieters/status/1222943917307572225?s=20

WhatEvil fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Jan 30, 2020

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

WhatEvil posted:

Uuuuuugh loving having to fill in forms is the worst in general. My wife went through it recently, she put her CV together, sent it in, then the next step in the application process is like "tell us all this stuff that's already on your CV" but then the way you have to enter it means you can't just copy/paste, you have to type out new stuff.

Like, what's even the point of accepting a CV in the first place?
The first version is the human readable one, the second one a computer reads looking for key words. I'm sure you could make a computer read the first version too, but it's much easier for the company to have a standard form that forces specific information out of the applicant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

I can't make any sense of that unless students from "the wealthiest neighborhoods" are disproportionately middle class. i'm sure that's the case

Went to Eton - upper class
From a wealthy neighbourhood but went to a different private school - middle class
Everyone else - scum who would do nothing but reduce property values if they were allowed into Oxford