Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Razzled posted:

dad went to go take delivery on his new africa twin at the dealership... they forklifted the case :wtf:

same guys regularly forget to do things like reconnect vacuum hoses, tighten oil plugs, etc etc. unfortunately they are also the largest dealer network in GA

i think i'd rather buy a bike out of state at this point though

name and shame those morons

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

Slavvy posted:

I get that too. I'm much better at going left and usually feel like I'm absolutely railing poo poo only to find a few mm of unused tyre whatever I do, whereas turning right I can feel like I'm taking it easy staying well within my limits and the rubber will be worn right to the edge.

It's definitely a factor of leaning off less, I often struggle to lean off on the right because I find it difficult to maintain fine control of the throttle with my elbow all scrunched up.

One direction is always tighter and one direction is always wider on the street depending on which side your country drives on as well.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

right arm posted:

name and shame those morons

My money is on mountain Motorsports. If I ever walked up to a new bike and saw it had been hosed over and vandalized like that I'd cancel the purchase.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Razzled posted:

dad went to go take delivery on his new africa twin at the dealership... they forklifted the case :wtf:

same guys regularly forget to do things like reconnect vacuum hoses, tighten oil plugs, etc etc. unfortunately they are also the largest dealer network in GA

This is the kind of poo poo that I didn't realise was 100% the norm until I started doing it for a living and discovered it's actually hard not to do a better job than the dealers.

nsaP posted:

One direction is always tighter and one direction is always wider on the street depending on which side your country drives on as well.

Left handers are tighter for me and the roundabouts go right, but I think I often worry about fuckwits coming around the bend halfway over the centreline (happens at least once per ride, most corners in the hills are totally blind) and that's not a problem on lefts.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Deeters posted:

Goofus argues on the internet about chicken strips while Gallant enjoys riding his new CanAm Spyder.

There was a trike parked in the motorcycle parking at my dentist yesterday, taking up two spots, and it made me realize I don't think they should be allowed to park in bike parking. They're almost as wide as a car anyway.

In other news, yesterday was by far the worst wind I've ever experienced on a bike. I don't know if anyone else here was riding around southern california yesterday, but I had some pants making GBS threads moments. I just gave up and went full tuck for my whole ride home, and went slower than usual, then got passed by a dad on an old BMW with luggage and a huge windscreen, sitting fully upright.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

MomJeans420 posted:

There was a trike parked in the motorcycle parking at my dentist yesterday, taking up two spots, and it made me realize I don't think they should be allowed to park in bike parking. They're almost as wide as a car anyway.

In other news, yesterday was by far the worst wind I've ever experienced on a bike. I don't know if anyone else here was riding around southern california yesterday, but I had some pants making GBS threads moments. I just gave up and went full tuck for my whole ride home, and went slower than usual, then got passed by a dad on an old BMW with luggage and a huge windscreen, sitting fully upright.

Of course they shouldn’t be allowed, they aren’t bikes

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

In civilised countries they're registered as cars and you get towed for parking in the bike spots.

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

MomJeans420 posted:

A fair number of the parking lots I’ve seen in the UK say parking is only free/reduced for vehicles with less than two wheels. Sucks to be a MP3 owner.

Others say vehicles with less than two wheels must park in the designated space... and still pay. Cunts.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Less than two? :raise:

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Fifty Three posted:

What, you don't do wheelies everywhere?

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Martytoof posted:

Oops have I been removing them wrong?

How is the BMW?

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Horse Clocks posted:

A fair number of the parking lots I’ve seen in the UK say parking is only free/reduced for vehicles with less than two wheels. Sucks to be a MP3 owner.

Others say vehicles with less than two wheels must park in the designated space... and still pay. Cunts.

loving hipsters and their unicycles.

Probably be an interesting legal argument if anyone ever wanted to push it because the licensing category for the MP3 (and other trikes under 400kgs) from the old group C (trikes and quads) to Group A (motorcycles) to stop people riding the >125cc models on a car license, but also to allow them to be parked in "solo motorcycle only" bays - in other words, legally, the MP3 has two wheels.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

goddamnedtwisto posted:

How is the BMW?

Ze ultimate driving machine

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Fifty Three posted:

fewer

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

MomJeans420 posted:

In WA motorcycles get reduced fairs and preferred loading (including cutting through parking lots and other weird feels illegal poo poo to get to the front of the line) on the State Ferry system, which is super cool.

What is not cool at all is that they consider trikes motorcycles, so you get a bunch of motherfuckers driving those stupid meter-maid trikes and getting the same treatment and fair as motorcycles but taking up as much room as a car, sometimes I see them parked at the grocery store on my way home, and I wanna tip the stupid things over.

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!

:emptyquote:

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Razzled posted:

Seconding Mountain Motorsports

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Elviscat posted:

In WA motorcycles get reduced fairs and preferred loading (including cutting through parking lots and other weird feels illegal poo poo to get to the front of the line) on the State Ferry system, which is super cool.

What is not cool at all is that they consider trikes motorcycles, so you get a bunch of motherfuckers driving those stupid meter-maid trikes and getting the same treatment and fair as motorcycles but taking up as much room as a car, sometimes I see them parked at the grocery store on my way home, and I wanna tip the stupid things over.

The only acceptable use for them I can see is if you're injured/handicapped, but that's not who I usually see on trikes.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Name and Shame, Razzled. :colbert:

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
I mean you and Carteret nailed it on the first try lol, no one is surprised

dealing with their service dept is:

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

I got a service contract with my MT-07 purchase and I'll make sure I take advantage, but am also super sketched out. I've only dealt with the Roswell location. Is the Marietta one any better?

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
no they are all the same, the good techs get washed out within 3-6 months of working at any of these

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

Razzled posted:

I mean you and Carteret nailed it on the first try lol, no one is surprised

dealing with their service dept is:

I haven’t read anything in this thread outside of this post, but judging by the GIF it looks like you went to Mountain Motorsports.

I kid, sucks about your dad’s bike and I hope he gets the money back and can walk away whole.

MomJeans420 posted:

The only acceptable use for them I can see is if you're injured/handicapped, but that's not who I usually see on trikes.

When I lived in Georgia they were the two-thirds life crisis machines for the guys who liked to look like they rode bikes but didn’t actually care for a bike.

Eaterofpoptarts
Oct 7, 2013
I can also pile on Mountain Motor sports being a poo poo dealer. A buddy bought a drz400sm from the Gwinnett location and the engine grenaded while it was still under warrenty. The dealer jerked him all over the place before finally agreeing to replace the engine after keeping the bike for 6 months. He picks the bike up and rides home. Comes out the next morning to a puddle of oil under his bike. Upon further insoection it turns out they didn't tighten the oil plug. He topped it off then sold the bike to be done with it.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Eaterofpoptarts posted:

I can also pile on Mountain Motor sports being a poo poo dealer. A buddy bought a drz400sm from the Gwinnett location and the engine grenaded while it was still under warrenty. The dealer jerked him all over the place before finally agreeing to replace the engine after keeping the bike for 6 months. He picks the bike up and rides home. Comes out the next morning to a puddle of oil under his bike. Upon further insoection it turns out they didn't tighten the oil plug. He topped it off then sold the bike to be done with it.

It's funny cause they're an objectively dependable bike yet ever drz story looks like this.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
NEVER let a dealer near a DRZ. You must source them through the used market only.

Alternatively, I never seem to hear these stories about a DR650. It's always "WE ORDED THEM FULLY FARKLED... HERE IS A PICTURE OF US AT THE DEALER.... GREAT GUYS!... WE THEN BEGAN OUR TAT TRIP THAT SAME DAY... AFTER PICKING UP SOME NEEDED SUPPLYS!" *drunk smiley emogi* *winky emogi* *ten drunk singing smiley emogis in a row*

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

That's simple: the dr650 has the opposite uncrating procedure to most bikes, in that it comes in the box with bunch of features, and all the dealer techs have to do is snap that stuff off and push it into the showroom. Much easier than bolting things on.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

The DR has too much dad cred to attract the kind of POs or number of spins on the dealership merry go round to be predictably begremlined.

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
A dealer in WI sold a friend of mine her first bike, a klx250sf, like four years ago. The thing ran like absolute poo poo and had basically all the required maintenance since new neglected. They also didn't explain to her what a rebuilt title is. Very classy way to get a new rider into motorcycles.

This is also a shop that used to ask me if I wanted to "trade" them my genuine keihin jets. I had some weird sized FCR jets that I'd realistically never use so I said sure then I realized the guy just meant "give me your jets for free and still pay."

ADAB

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

One of my biggest regrets in motorcycling is that when my local ducati/suzuki dealer shutdown, they sold their Keihin and Minkuni jets in two big lots.

$100 for a giant bin of drawers full of every jet made from one brand. $200 for both brands

I couldn’t swing it at the time but I seriously think about that like once a month.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

One of my biggest regrets in motorcycling is that when my local ducati/suzuki dealer shutdown, they sold their Keihin and Minkuni jets in two big lots.

$100 for a giant bin of drawers full of every jet made from one brand. $200 for both brands

I couldn’t swing it at the time but I seriously think about that like once a month.

:psyduck: you could have made so much money if you’d had the time to run an eBay store. Well, relative to the investment. Probably takes years to move that volume of jets.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

:psyduck: you could have made so much money if you’d had the time to run an eBay store. Well, relative to the investment. Probably takes years to move that volume of jets.

Could have swam in them like Scrooge Mcduck.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

This would eat me up inside till the day I die, sucks.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Slavvy posted:

This would eat me up inside till the day I die, sucks.

This was 2006? Maybe? I’m not joking when I say it’s a huge regret. I should have borrowed the money, or put it on a card or something. It’s literally a lifetime of jets, and for someone who will always have a carbureted bike or two in the stable, that’s huge

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

No way, I’d hoard them all. I know the struggle of finding and waiting for jets in weird sizes too well

builds character posted:

Could have swam in them like Scrooge Mcduck.

Also this

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Feb 14, 2020

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Got pulled over today, for 45 in a 35. Didn't even notice the parked Tahoe was a marked unit til I was riding past it. Got off with a warning which was entirely unsurprising given the area and time of day and my racial bonus for police interaction. :911: I get the feeling they only bothered with the stop because I was too oblivious to slow down at all as I went by.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

It's story time again! I'll explain this in chronological order from the bike's perspective.

A street triple R is born, bought and ridden for 19,000km, then sold. The new owner rides it a few times, drops it in his driveway then leaves it outside under a cover for a year. Upon starting the bike it makes a horrific noise so he immediately switches off and trucks it to the dealer.

Dealer mechanic hums and grunts and, drooling, informs him by a series of primitive ritualistic gestures (I'm reconstructing a bit here) that the engine is completely hosed.

The bike gets put up for sale, whereupon a friend of mine sees it and asks if it's a good buy despite the engine. Normal value for one of those around here is ~10k, asking price was 4000 ono. I said go for it, even worst case scenario you're still winning bigly. So he did.

I picked the bike up, got it back to his place, started it up and sure enough there's the horrible noise. A couple of sedate revs later, oil pressure builds up, the stuck cam chain tensioner releases, noise goes away, bike runs mint.

Total cost of bike including a new CCT and fifty bag for me: 3980. Knowing to never ever go to a dealer for any reason: priceless.

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

Did the dealer even do anything to try and diagnose it?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Well yeah they listened to the noise and told him it's hosed.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Slavvy posted:

It's story time again! I'll explain this in chronological order from the bike's perspective.

A street triple R is born, bought and ridden for 19,000km, then sold. The new owner rides it a few times, drops it in his driveway then leaves it outside under a cover for a year. Upon starting the bike it makes a horrific noise so he immediately switches off and trucks it to the dealer.

Dealer mechanic hums and grunts and, drooling, informs him by a series of primitive ritualistic gestures (I'm reconstructing a bit here) that the engine is completely hosed.

The bike gets put up for sale, whereupon a friend of mine sees it and asks if it's a good buy despite the engine. Normal value for one of those around here is ~10k, asking price was 4000 ono. I said go for it, even worst case scenario you're still winning bigly. So he did.

I picked the bike up, got it back to his place, started it up and sure enough there's the horrible noise. A couple of sedate revs later, oil pressure builds up, the stuck cam chain tensioner releases, noise goes away, bike runs mint.

Total cost of bike including a new CCT and fifty bag for me: 3980. Knowing to never ever go to a dealer for any reason: priceless.

God that's a sweet deal on such a great bike.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

as the owner of a stupid KTM with stupid hydraulic cam chain tensioners that is Good poo poo :D