Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

I'm not going to wreck my 3DS battery constantly leaving it on sleep days on end? Rebuilding Norende, the village, is very thrilling and I'm probably rushing it but it's so nice to come back hours later and see that number go up. It's very much a addictive adaptation from phone games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
the 3ds is designed to stay in sleep mode all the time, you're fine

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

100YrsofAttitude posted:

I'm not going to wreck my 3DS battery constantly leaving it on sleep days on end? Rebuilding Norende, the village, is very thrilling and I'm probably rushing it but it's so nice to come back hours later and see that number go up. It's very much a addictive adaptation from phone games.
I left my 3DS in sleep mode practically from the day I bought BD until I beat it and haven't noticed any battery problems yet.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
Also unlike most poo poo in that vein, the 3DS is built for trivial battery replacement, you can still get SP and DS batteries very easily even today

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Awesome, this is the best thread for advice no joke.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Is there a good site to track e-shop sales for 3ds games? I have a few games I'd like to get but I really want to get them on sale as the cart prices are pretty high right now.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

psprices.com

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

irlZaphod posted:

psprices.com

PlayStation prices?!

Ok thanks I’ll check it out. I just need something that will send me a drat email when it goes on sale.

The switch wishlist is spotty at best.

Edit: it doesn’t look like it does 3DS games? I searched for a few and they didn’t come up.

:confused:

Edit 2 : ok it does but it only showed switch games at first.

This looks like it should work thanks!

MarcusSA fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Jan 30, 2020

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

There's a 3DS link at the very top.

You might need to pick your region carefully, I chose Ireland and it wouldn't show me anything for 3DS. I had to pick UK or another EU country.

irlZaphod fucked around with this message at 11:56 on Jan 30, 2020

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

irlZaphod posted:

There's a 3DS link at the very top.

You might need to pick your region carefully, I chose Ireland and it wouldn't show me anything for 3DS. I had to pick UK or another EU country.

Yeah I tried it on mobile first and it wasn’t working correctly it worked fine on the computer though.

Also fuckin lol at some of these physical cart prices.

Like wtf.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
I don't remember if Bravely Default did this but I greatly appreciate that Bravely Second eventually realizes that you have no friends and gives you an imaginary one so you can still complete the message board quests.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I think Bravely Default had FriendBot or whatever.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

Commander Keene posted:

I think Bravely Default had FriendBot or whatever.

I'm playing through Bravely Default now and it does.

I have gotten two so far. FriendBot and BuddyBot. I assume there's another two. One for each party member.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Is FE Echoes good? Not as a FE game, in general.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Yes.

You will run into its strangely outdated map designs that they didn't update, but everything else is good enough to carry the game.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Echoes is real solid. It didn't get much attention since it came out at a weird time.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

SelenicMartian posted:

Is FE Echoes good? Not as a FE game, in general.

Its fine for what it is, but you can tell its a remake of an ancient game with limited design updates

Also the postgame is absolute garbage designed to try to force you to buy the DLC. And the DLC is insulting (buy a third tier for every class!!)

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

I need a new platformer to pass the time with.

I'm between DKC Returns, Kirby's Epic Yarn, and Yoshi's Wooly World. Wario land on the virtual console could work too as I've never played it.

I'll take other recommendations as well, though I already have the other Kirby games and Super Mario Land 3D along with a lot of virtual console games.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

All three of those are good in their own way although the DKC Returns 3DS port is the only one of those i can specifically vouch for - I played the others on their original systems.

If you're looking for challenge, Donkey Kong is the way to go for sure. Epic Yarn is incredibly easy, even for a kirby game, though it can still be fun to try to collect everything. Woolly World is somewhere in between.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Easy sounds good. I need a chill platformer between bouts of increasingly tougher bosses in BD.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

100YrsofAttitude posted:

I need a new platformer to pass the time with.

I'm between DKC Returns, Kirby's Epic Yarn, and Yoshi's Wooly World. Wario land on the virtual console could work too as I've never played it.

I'll take other recommendations as well, though I already have the other Kirby games and Super Mario Land 3D along with a lot of virtual console games.

DKC Returns is the best of those imo. But go with Wario Land games if you want some easier. DKCR doesn’t gently caress around.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Easy sounds good. I need a chill platformer between bouts of increasingly tougher bosses in BD.

It literally does not get chiller than Kirby Epic Yarn

Donkey Kong is the opposite of chill, it gets really hard

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Regy Rusty posted:

It literally does not get chiller than Kirby Epic Yarn

Donkey Kong is the opposite of chill, it gets really hard

I tried DKC Returns years ago and I got to the third or fourth world without being able to break out of the SNES physics muscle memory.

I can tell it's a good game but I'm not fond of the controls yet.

Looks like it's going to be Kirby which is fine. I love Kirby games. I really need to get Star allies, but it never dips in price.

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

I don't think you can go wrong with any of those, but I'll put in a vote for my beloved Yoshi's Wooly World. It's incredibly charming and fun, if you're looking for a chill platformer it's excellent (and it's a better game than the more expensive Switch sequel, to boot). There's some challenge in later stages but there's tons of affordances to make it as easy as you like. DKCR is fantastic too but much more of a challenge. (I have not played the Kirby so I can't speak to that one.)

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Blotto_Otter posted:

I don't think you can go wrong with any of those, but I'll put in a vote for my beloved Yoshi's Wooly World. It's incredibly charming and fun, if you're looking for a chill platformer it's excellent (and it's a better game than the more expensive Switch sequel, to boot). There's some challenge in later stages but there's tons of affordances to make it as easy as you like. DKCR is fantastic too but much more of a challenge. (I have not played the Kirby so I can't speak to that one.)

would you suggest playing the 3ds or wii u version if you had the choice?

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

Shadow225 posted:

would you suggest playing the 3ds or wii u version if you had the choice?

Wii U, if you don't care about having it on the go. The 3DS version is very good so that's a fine way to play it if you care about portability, but the game's visual style looks great in HD. This will never happen, but I wish it'd get a Switch port just so I could play through it again in HD.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Blotto_Otter posted:

I’ll be getting them all eventually never fear. My problem with Yoshi is just how much I freaking adore the original game which I can enjoy now on my switch (though it travel with my 3DS only if it wasn't clear). So that clouds my judgement for sure.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Wooly World was the first Yoshi game since Island to actually try it's hand at being good.

I don't think it's as good but I also think Yoshi's Island is one of the best platformers ever made and Wooly World is merely great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PY3HXJzBZ8c

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Phantasium posted:

Wooly World was the first Yoshi game since Island to actually try it's hand at being good.

I don't think it's as good but I also think Yoshi's Island is one of the best platformers ever made and Wooly World is merely great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PY3HXJzBZ8c

See that's interesting because the DS game and New Island were. Just were.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Sadly Crafted World seems to demonstrate that Woolly was just a fluke...

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Regy Rusty posted:

Sadly Crafted World seems to demonstrate that Woolly was just a fluke...

It's better than DS and New but yeah. The original is by far the best, then Woolly and then Story imo.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Crafted World is good but it goes more in the direction of full on collectathon than platforming. There are waaaaaaay too many scavenger hunts and the "replay the level backwards" gimmick means you have to play at least twice before you even get to that point.

Also for some reason they thought it would be a good idea and skimp on the music, since pretty much all of the game's ~20 songs are leitmotifs on the boring theme.

But on the other hand, there's a level that's theme is just "you're in a slasher flick" which is infinitely better than just, you know, ice world or whatever.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

DS was one of the most disappointing games ever for me. I was so excited when it was announced and saw how gorgeous the sprite work was but then that level design with that music.:barf:

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

SeANMcBAY posted:

DS was one of the most disappointing games ever for me. I was so excited when it was announced and saw how gorgeous the sprite work was but then that level design with that music.:barf:

Right? I don't know how they keep messing up the music. The SNES game didn't even have a lot of tracks, they're all perfect though. How all subsequent games just mess that up is baffling.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Wooly World has a ton of good music, thankfully.

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

Phantasium posted:

Crafted World is good but it goes more in the direction of full on collectathon than platforming. There are waaaaaaay too many scavenger hunts and the "replay the level backwards" gimmick means you have to play at least twice before you even get to that point.

Also for some reason they thought it would be a good idea and skimp on the music, since pretty much all of the game's ~20 songs are leitmotifs on the boring theme.

But on the other hand, there's a level that's theme is just "you're in a slasher flick" which is infinitely better than just, you know, ice world or whatever.

The bad collectathon aspect of Crafted World was one of its two fatal flaws, imo. Wooly World (and the original Yoshi's Island, I suppose) have the right idea that you can theoretically get every collectible in one run through the level, even if you never manage it.

The other fatal flaw was changing to a pseudo-3D aiming method where you shoot at the foreground and background, instead of keeping it on a flat 2D plane. It seems interesting on paper but I think it's overly fiddly and screws with the flow of the levels too much. The music's a bummer too. Game's not terrible, just nowhere near as good as Wooly.

It did have some neat level themes though, that slasher flick one was a standout.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

The post-game levels of YCW are instant-kill trash.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

SelenicMartian posted:

The post-game levels of YCW are instant-kill trash.

I thought they were easier than WW and that there were less of them.

No, what got me was that loving magikoopa boss gauntlet which had to involve the incredibly bad controlling giant punching yoshi tank at the end that you have to do flawlessly.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

My issue with the collectathon is that there are items that you just do not see unless you poke your head into empty space and then something appears. Also, the red coins having no tracker for the order in which they are collected makes trying to find them on second play through obnoxious.

I'll get around to beating it at some point, but there is no chance that I 100% it because I would have to just follow a guide exactly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

So that's Crafted World.

Wooly World is more intuitive with its collecting?